I compare my M45 to my former RL

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I compare my M45 to my former RL

I have now driven my new 2006 M45 Luxury Model sedan enough to form an opinion about it. At the same time, I am able to make a preliminary comparison with the car it replaced, my superb 2005 Acura RL.

Unequivocally I believe each is a fine luxury sedan. Either is able to meet my driving needs with safety and comfort. Both are improved versions of immediate predecessors and as such are more outstanding values then any previous car of their brand.

There are certain aspects that I consider to be paramount in a luxury sedan. In order of importance to me are safety, engine performance, ride, overall visual style, fit, finish, creature comforts and price. Both the RL and the M45 surpassed these criteria by exceeding my expectations.

There are no factory options available to purchase for the RL. All of its numerous features and high-tech bells and whistles are included the single basic price of the RL.

The M45 is priced in the more traditional way. Its basic price includes a vast number of standard features. In order to equip it with other features that catered to my desire for creature comforts, I purchase the Journey and Tech packages at additional cost. These packages matched in similarity those integral to the RL as well as three additional features not offered by Acura in the RL.

Thus, nearly comparably equipped, I paid $51,019.25 for the six cylinders 300hp
powered RL and $59,911.17 for the eight cylinders 335hp powered M45 luxury Models. These figures include taxes, fees and registration permits.

A frequent criticism of the RL is that it is inferior to other luxury simply because Acura does not offer an engine with eight cylinders. I reject this assertion as nonsense. It has been my experience owning numerous high-powered V8 and V12 engine cars that the 2005 RL equipped with six cylinders 300hp engine produces enough power and acceleration to enter freeways at optimum speeds, safely pass other cars when required to do so and to cruise at interstate speeds with ease and comfort. I will concede that the RL engine does not stimulate me with the same physical “rush” generated the M45 V8 335hp engine.

So, what are the differences in the engines? The RL has a pleasant punch of sedate power. The M45's engine propels with verve and muscle. Both take me to my destinations in the same amount time driving within posted speed limits. If I were driving on the autobahn, I would want to have my foot on the M45 pedal. Driving in the city, the RL is more then adequate.

There is a downside to exhilarating engine power and that is higher gasoline consumption. Of the two sedans, better gas economy was my reward as an RL owner. The M45 swallows gasoline at a higher rate and requires more frequent fill-ups at the pump.

There are many cost consequences owning an RL vs. an M45. As previously mentioned, it begins first at the time of initial purchase and builds because of frequent fill-ups at the pump. There is also an unexpected cost that I failed to anticipate, maintenance. I drove the RL in excess of 10k before first oil and filter change was required. The M45 requires a first oil and filter change at 3,750 miles and one thereafter as increments of 3,750 miles occurs.

Another difference is that the M45 requires (per the operator’s manual) a structured break-in period of 1200 miles. With the exception of a brief few miles to properly set the brakes and to allow the car to properly seat, I drove the RL from the very beginning as I did on the last day I drove it; with gusto!

The RL has its unique SHAWD. I never drove the RL in snow or in really foul weather. Nevertheless, I liked the SHAWD very much. I found that the RL’s handling on sharp curves was sure and safe.

The M45 is a RWD vehicle. Its suspension and ability to stabilize on curves at fairly high speed is as good as it gets. So much power married with such good handling has given me a very great sense of pleasure.

Both of these sedans are outfitted with a wide variety of creature comfort electronics including Bluetooth. My favorite feature in both is the navigation system. Each is excellent and can be operated by the driver using mechanical hand controls or by using voice recognition or a combination of each. The systems differ from one another in complexity and in visual and audio features. I found the RL system to be simpler to learn and operate. The M45 system is more sophisticated. Neither, however, was difficult to learn nor to master. Of the two, I favor the M45 system mainly because of its voice prompts and text menus.

The audio system is good in the RL. It is exceptional in the M45. The range, timber and overall sound quality of the M45 system are superior to the RL.

The M45 has a CD player in the dash, a navigation DVD unit in the glove compartment and a DVD audio and movie player located in the center console. Movies can be shown on the main video dash screen only when the car is not being driven.

The M45 has the DVD navigation unit in the trunk and the CD player in the dash.

I previously mentioned that three features were integral to the M45 option packages I purchased. None are present in the 2005 RL. The M45 has a camera mounted near the rear trunk latch. It provides a view to the rear of the vehicle while backing up. There is also a lane departure warning when the car ventures over an adjacent lane line and an intelligent cruise control which protect against ramming a car in front of the M45 when on it is on cruise control.

The M45 has driver and front seat passenger heat and air-conditioned seats. The 2005 RL has only heat controlled front seats.

Both cars are of similar dimensions. However, the M45 has more inside passenger and trunk space then the RL. In my family, the definitive authority on style and visual beauty is my wife. She says, “The RL is more beautiful on the outside and more luxuriously appointed on the inside. She also says the RL has the more comfortable seats. “

Hmmmmmm, although I recognize that it is not wise to argue with one’s wife, her subjective statement is just that . . . subjective. Long ago I learned that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I think both cars are great to look at.

Here are my conclusions: The 2005 Acura RL provides a good, safe and comfortable ride. I got more then my monies worth for the price I paid for it. Best of all, I never had a single mechanical failure with the RL. It not only looked and felt like a luxury sedan, in my estimation, it was one in every sense of the word.

My 2006 Infiniti M45 is a sleek and well-appointed. I think its electronic creature comfort technologies are better then those in the RL. The greatest difference between the two in my estimation is the power and thrust of the M45. The Infiniti engine is awesome. Its transmission is stellar. The car is quiet at speed limits and rockets with a purr on the edge of a growl at high speeds. It is music to my ears.

Both automobiles handle very well. The RL with its SHAWD always gave me a sense of security. The way the M45 handles, I am always in control.

I sold the RL for the following reasons. I do not keep a car for more than two to three years. The resale value of the RL has plummeted in recent times. Lastly, I was offered a price for my RL by a private party that I could not refuse.

As of this writing, it is my opinion that the overall quality of the 2006 M45 Luxury Sedan equipped with the Journey and Tech packages is superior to the 2005 RL.
The $8,891.92 difference in cost between the two is a nonissue to me. However, if price is the determining consideration, one cannot go wrong choosing the RL.

After I have ten thousand or so miles on the M45, I will write a more detailed report of my findings.

Regards to all.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent and super fair review. Thanks!!

After the M45, what do you think your next car will be?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Excellent and super fair review. Thanks for not turning it into a slam the RL for not having a V8 review as we have heard enough of that already.

After the M45, what do you think your next car will be?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Thank you Jeffs for your comments. I honestly loved the RL engine. It was far superior to some of the super hot V8's that I formerly owned.

I did not say where I ranked my 2005 RL. So here goes. It was the best car I ever had until now. Maybe after a year of so, it will still be the best car I ever owned.

The next best was my 1989 MBW 750IL. It had a V12 engine and never hit a bump it did not flatten.

There were many other good cars that I owned but none approached the overall quality of my 2005 RL. The Cads, other BMW's, Mercedes and all three of my Audi's ALL FELL SHORT of the RL in one way or another.

I am not at all sure if there will be a next car. Health, age and circumstances will dictate whether I will ever buy another car.

By the way, I see I made an error in my earlier post. The DVD unit in the trunk is in the RL and not the M45.

Sorry, typed too fast without thinking properly.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Undercover Slacker

good review
Old 03-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Excellent unbiased review. Very detailed and easy to follow and understand.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shepsan
... I honestly loved the RL engine. It was far superior to some of the super hot V8's that I formerly owned.

I did not say where I ranked my 2005 RL. So here goes. It was the best car I ever had until now. Maybe after a year of so, it will still be the best car I ever owned...
That is really good to hear especially considering most of your other cars were a lot more expensive. It is also a little surprising with sales being so low and there seems to be a lot of turnover for the RL's.

I'm looking forward to what Acura has in store for the RL as far as styling, power and features to attract more people to what I think is a hidden gem in the luxury car market.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Racer

That is a really nice post.

I've discovered that with automobiles in this rarified price range and category, I'd have to drive a car daily for several months before arriving at a favorite, if I could then.

Fred
Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I think the RL's sales are low not because of the car itself, but because: 1) the market that it's in is relatively small and VERY competitive, 2) Acura corporate isn't promoting the car like it should, 3) SOME Acura salespeople are inept when it comes to selling this car; they don't know the car or the competition.

Excellent review.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Excellent review
Old 03-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Racer

I enjoyed reading your review. Do you think that the M35 would have given you the same feelings about the car? Sounds like the V8 made all the differnce.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced

jfprl my friend, I never entertained the idea of the M35 whiich was powered by a V6 engine. I wanted a V8 engine. If the M45 had not met my criteria, I would have happily stayed with the RL. Even after I had checked out Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes.

IMO, the Infiniti M45 was superior in every way to those brands (and, I might add it was cheaper to boot). The M45 was also superior to the 2005 Infiniti Q45, having greater interior space, a better design, a super engine and all of the tech delights that I wanted.

The 2006 M35 is a very good car. I think the 2005 RL is better!
Old 03-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Great review - this should be the type of thing in the "press" section based on its unbiased view...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Advanced

I made a typo in post 11. I meant to say the 2005 not 1005 RL.

Sorry
Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
As a fan of the M series, I find your review fair and balanced. It was a great read.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by shepsan
A frequent criticism of the RL is that it is inferior to other luxury simply because Acura does not offer an engine with eight cylinders. I reject this assertion as nonsense. It has been my experience owning numerous high-powered V8 and V12 engine cars that the 2005 RL equipped with six cylinders 300hp engine produces enough power and acceleration to enter freeways at optimum speeds, safely pass other cars when required to do so and to cruise at interstate speeds with ease and comfort. I will concede that the RL engine does not stimulate me with the same physical “rush” generated the M45 V8 335hp engine.
I disagree with the critisism, too. The recent article from Temple of Vtec on the sluggish sales of the RL blamed it on the lack of a gas-guzzling V8 as an option. Despite these comments and the poll results on their site, I'm one of the folks who give Kudos to Acura for not jumping on the displacement bandwagon.

Honda has always been known to make small, efficient motors. Their race cars have always been amongst the best. If there's any gripe I'd have about the RL, it would be on its transmission.

The lack of a closer-geared 6 or 7 speed combined with a higher-revving powerband is holding all of the 300hp back. While I'm certainly not suggesting that they have a more boy-racer powerband, it could definately help the cause.

Regardless, it's an awsome car and you guys should feel lucky owning one. A TSX driver like me can only sit in a showroom RL for now and get drool all over the real leather.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree that a 6 speed transmission would be a good idea. I wonder what's keeping them from adding that feature? I guess they want the RL to use basically the same transmission as every other Honda with a V6 engine.

By th way, I really like the TSX. I'm trying to get a friend to buy one. I think the RL and the TSX are more closely related than the U.S. designed and manufactured TL.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
office monkey

I also agree a 6 speed auto should be on the car. IMO it was a bad choice to go with a 5 speed than a 6 speed.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

The 5 speed was the CHEAP choice. Platform engineering at its finest!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Black

I also agree with this tranny thread. Acura transmissions (my 2004 TL and now 2005 RL) are crap compared to (dare I say it) even the current 6-speed offerings from Ford and GM.

That's pretty pathetic.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Racer

Funny, I'm taking my car in for its first service appt. next week and I'm going to bitch about the tranny as well. I think 5 speeds are plenty but the programming is terrible. It shifts up waaay too early with an engine that's really not meant to be lugged at 1500 rpms. The jerkyness when it shifts on slight declines is cruddy as well. Lack of '4' and '2' settings is also inexcusable. The Tip I had in my S4 wasn't perfect but it was a lot better.

I hardly ever use the manual shifting option as I find it so much harder to use than a true manual tranny. It must be the lack of a stick that tells you what gear it's in by just feeling where it is. Also the total disconnect between driver and engine (no vibrations telling you when to shift) makes it hard to drive it manually I think. Everything can be learned I'm sure but I would just like the *automatic* part to be a bit more, well, automatic. Or add a 'sport' and 'econ' setting or something.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great post.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Funny, I'm taking my car in for its first service appt. next week and I'm going to bitch about the tranny as well. I think 5 speeds are plenty but the programming is terrible. It shifts up waaay too early with an engine that's really not meant to be lugged at 1500 rpms. The jerkyness when it shifts on slight declines is cruddy as well. Lack of '4' and '2' settings is also inexcusable. The Tip I had in my S4 wasn't perfect but it was a lot better.

I hardly ever use the manual shifting option as I find it so much harder to use than a true manual tranny. It must be the lack of a stick that tells you what gear it's in by just feeling where it is. Also the total disconnect between driver and engine (no vibrations telling you when to shift) makes it hard to drive it manually I think. Everything can be learned I'm sure but I would just like the *automatic* part to be a bit more, well, automatic. Or add a 'sport' and 'econ' setting or something.
I've surprised myself and am now using the manual feature quite a bit...downshifting to slow down, using the engine to control the car on downgrades, upgrades, dropping down to 3rd to pass or to navigate those long radius onramps/offramps, keeping the revs in the efficient zone when necessary, etc. I find 1st to be almost a granny and the engine winds up pretty quickly if not paying attention (shift to 2nd when stopped for a more useful gear ratio from rest), 2nd useful when navigating my long unpaved driveway or just idling along, with downshifting/upshifting to 3rd and 4th being the gears most often used in my usual traffic situations. I'm no expert with this way of manual shifting, but am not having any problems with it...the RL downshifts and upshifts mighty smoothly either manually or in auto. I'm surprised at how smoothly manual shifts go.

I've recently test drove a couple of competitors without the manual option and think that now I'd be completely bored with one of them.

All of my previous cars were 4 cyclinder, so I don't miss the lugging business or low end torque with the burbly exhaust...but then, I don't cruise the boulevard all that often...I'm usually killing bugs quickly to get from here to over there.

Wasn't that a Maserati Motorweek recently highlighted...paddles vibrating at speed and loud, loud racket...that's fine on the race track, but really, who needs all that racket and vibration in a real world situation? ...fun film to watch though!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Terrific write up. I've not driven the M45 but have experienced its audio system (in an Infiniti showroom and it's the best I've ever experienced) and the business end of its performance (as it obliterated my 02 Maxima on an open stretch of the NYS Thruway). It's clearly the best sedan ever produced by Nissan and definitely towards the top of my list of favorite sports sedans. (A list topped by the E60 M5 and 550i. )
Old 04-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
Wasn't that a Maserati Motorweek recently highlighted...paddles vibrating at speed and loud, loud racket...that's fine on the race track, but really, who needs all that racket and vibration in a real world situation? ...fun film to watch though!
As I recall, and FWIW, the Maserati being reviewed/promoted was a newly trotted out street version.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
As I recall, and FWIW, the Maserati being reviewed/promoted was a newly trotted out street version.
That may have been a Ferrari...autos in that category are out of my league.

Whatever it was, what was really fun to view was the driver tapping those paddles under heavy throttle and hearing the car respond to the gear changes.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Excellent review. Very fair and balanced.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Right On

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I think the RL's sales are low not because of the car itself, but because: 1) the market that it's in is relatively small and VERY competitive, 2) Acura corporate isn't promoting the car like it should, 3) SOME Acura salespeople are inept when it comes to selling this car; they don't know the car or the competition.

Excellent review.
jhr, I totally agree with your comments above. I think Acura is doing a slightly better job of TV and magazine ads, but still have a ways to go. I feel that they had this segment by the tail in the 80's and chose to neglect it and let Lexus eat their lunch. Hard to catch up with Toyota once they're entrenched. I have only owned one RL, a used 1997 (I tend to be a keeper) - the salesman was pretty uninformed and in some ways, unprofessional, all of which detracts from the overall owner experience.

Regards.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I hate to be cynical about Acura, especially considering that I've had 4 of them, but I wonder if the only reason why Acura "had this segment by the tail" was because they were the only Japanese luxury brand once upon a time. Once Toyota entered the market with Lexus, Acura started slipping by default.

Here's something I was wondering: does Honda Motor Corporation of Japan really want to be a major player in the North American luxury market? Overall, the market is shrinking, luxury car sales are decreasing in North America. Perhaps Honda would rather pour lots of resources into areas that can grow such as robotics, alternative fuels, and airplanes? Maybe that is why Honda does not have a full-size, RWD, V8 powered flagship like everyone else. And maybe that's why they would rather put a heavy AWD system on a FWD platform instead of developing an all-new RWD platform.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Advanced

For me, one of the most major safety feature that draws me to the RL is the OnStar system which is no longer offered for 2007. I know BMW and Mercedes have similar systems, but does Infinity? I ask, because you stated safety is your #1 priority.

Why is the placement of the GPS DVD module important?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:49 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Interesting. On-Star was not a selling point to me, and in the 7 months I've owned this car, I haven't used On-Star once and I don't plan on renewing it once my year is up.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Advanced

I don't imagine I'd use it more than around once/year for the concierge service, so I probably wouldn't subscribe either.

The main reason I want OnStar is so that if/when I get into a serious accident, they'll send help, and you don't have to be a paying subscriber for them to provide emergency services.

Last I heard, we get into significant accidents around once every 5 years, so I'm long overdue!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Interesting. On-Star was not a selling point to me, and in the 7 months I've owned this car, I haven't used On-Star once and I don't plan on renewing it once my year is up.
I plan to keep OnStar for one reason: vehicle tracking if stolen. OnStar saves me from having to buy LoJack (which only recently became available in this part of Ohio--it's marketed at my Acura dealer). That peace of mind alone is worth the price of admission. Otherwise, the cell service is overpriced and the lockout service is useless to RL owners because the car wn't let you lock yourself out.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Very nice and fair comparison. However I have to disagree on the audio comparison. I have been involved in audio since age 8, and I have listen to the audio systems in just about all the cars in the Rl class and above. I find the RL audio system much better than the M35. The M35 was seriously lacking in the bass department. I will admit, I did not play a cd in the M35, but did listen to dvd and the radio. I find the audio system in the RL to be second only to the Audi 8. That is one of the best factory systems I have ever heard in a car. I have a 35K Krell audio system at home and the Audi 8 was very satifying to listen to. The bass was pants fluttering and clean. Again the RL is no match for that system, but after the Audi I have heard none better. I considered the M35 myself, but for that kind of money, the audio system is paramount for me and the M35 did not cut it. The FM and XM was horrible. FYI, it was the system with speakers in the seats.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I plan to keep OnStar for one reason: vehicle tracking if stolen. OnStar saves me from having to buy LoJack (which only recently became available in this part of Ohio--it's marketed at my Acura dealer). That peace of mind alone is worth the price of admission. Otherwise, the cell service is overpriced and the lockout service is useless to RL owners because the car wn't let you lock yourself out.
Keep in mind that OnStar will not track your car IF it is hidden in a garage or box van/truck (as in a 'Chop shop'). My reason for opting for LoJack.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:12 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
As a former M45 owner, I agree with all your comments, except perhaps for the comfort issue.

The M45 had the best seats of any car I've ever owned, but the legroom in the front bothered me because of the wide center stack. My right knee naturally rested against the edge of the stack when I drove, and it made for a painful pressure point after a couple of hours on the road. I actually had to fold up a cloth to use as a pad when I drove for any length of time.

But the talk about the need for a 6spd in the RL is funny to me. The RL cruises at 80 at only 2300rpm, whereas the M45 is churning at about 1,000rpm higher. That's one of the main reasons for the worse gas mileage. The M45 is one vehicle that absolutely screams for another gear, while the RL simply needs some juggling of the gear ratios in the 5spd it has.

Nice comparison and I'm sure you'll enjoy that M.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Black

Originally Posted by miner
Keep in mind that OnStar will not track your car IF it is hidden in a garage or box van/truck (as in a 'Chop shop'). My reason for opting for LoJack.
OnStar (current iteration) uses Verizon Wireless (digital CDMA) for the network.

So I'd somewhat disagree that if can't be "located" if hidden - I believe it uses the CDMA-based GPS location service.

I could be wrong as I've never tried it first-hand.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Shepsan,

As you have already heard numerous times before, but bears hearing again, Excellent write-up!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Moto Enthusiast

I just barely read the original post and must say, as others already have, that this is a superb write up. If only some of the professional publications can be as "fair and balanced" it would renew my faith in car rags, er...I mean car mags.

Anyhow, although I agree somewhat that a V6 is more than sufficient for the general public, I still believe that Acura needs a higher displacement engine if it wishes to play in the leagues of true luxury. Do most people really need a V8? No. Do most people need to drive 11mpg SUVs? No. But merely having the option to do so bolsters the image and draws the curiosity. Especially in these days where more and more marques are joining the specialty "tuned" models such as AMG, M, RS, and Lexus' recent entry with their soon to be F cars.

I'm not saying that Acura needs to have their own high powered badging, but with their current ideology they will forever remain the "budget luxury" brand. Maybe I'm completely off-base and that is in fact their true aim, being budget luxury, but as long as there are similarly priced cars, people will continue to cross-shop. Just as is the case with the original post. As good as the RL is/was, it wasn't replaced with another one. Having options. I love it.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, a V10 would be nice. I would love to see Honda put a V10 engine in the upcoming NSX, a new full sized sedan, and the RL (or its successor).

Quick Reply: I compare my M45 to my former RL