Global Auto Systems article

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:13 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Global Auto Systems article

Acura tackles Bentley in the Lienerts' driveway.

By Paul Lienert

It has taken nearly a year, but I finally got some seat time in the Bentley Continental GT last weekend. The experience was nearly as awe-inspiring as you’d expect from a $160,000, all-wheel-drive, twin-turbocharged 12-cylinder supercoupe—but it might have been even more sensational had we not also had a new Acura RL parked next to it.

To me, the bigger revelation is the growing maturity and sophistication of Honda’s premium brand, as evidenced by the strength of the 2005 RL. Finally, Acura has created a flagship sedan that is not only worthy of the name but can stand shoulder to shoulder with the BMW 5-series and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

If you think the RL’s nearly $50,000 sticker sounds steep, consider that it costs less than one-third of the Continental GT. The RL’s 3.5-liter V-6 also makes 300 horsepower versus the 552 horses generated by the 6.0-liter W-12 in the Bentley. That works out to about $167 per pony for the Acura versus $290 for the Bentley. I’d call that a steal.

What both brands have done is leverage the technical expertise of their respective parents and fold all that whiz-bang technology into plush, upscale packages that belie the plebeian roots of the progenitors.

In the case of the RL, that’s no big deal because neither Honda nor Acura has a lengthy history in the automotive business. Bentley, however, traces its distinguished lineage back 85 years, to the early days of the British motoring industry. It’s understandable if purists experience a twinge on learning the Continental GT shares its basic architecture with the Volkswagen Phaeton—and its key fob with a Jetta.

Don’t get me wrong. What VW has wrought during its brief tenure as Bentley’s latest master is nothing short of remarkable.The aforementioned D2 corporate chassis (which also underpins the awesome Audi A8) is sturdy and capable, and the W-12 is an absolute torque monster. The Continental GT’s sinuous exterior lines are virtually flawless, and its cabin is crammed with nearly every creature comfort imaginable. So what if the German overlords permitted their British subsidiary to dial in a few characteristic idiosyncrasies (like gauges with unreadable numbers and a nav system that’s practically useless)?

The RL, on the other hand, is pure Honda through and through, with one notable exception. Some engineering director in Japan simply could not resist the temptation to mimic BMW’s hated i (for idiotic) Drive by installing an equally incomprehensible device in the middle of the RL’s already cluttered center stack.

Otherwise, the car is truly a joy to drive, which wasn’t usually the case with Acuras of yesteryear.

The RL departs from standard Honda/Acura practice on several fronts. For one, it’s the first Acura sedan with all-wheel drive—and, oh, what an all-wheel-drive system it is! Torque is variably split from front to rear, depending on throttle load, and laterally from right rear to left rear, depending on cornering force and acceleration.The sensation is almost spooky—absolutely neutral composure as you’re blasting at pretty high speeds through some fairly hairy turns.

Then there’s the power thing. As longtime Honda watchers expected, the company declined once again to stuff a big V-8 under the hood of the RL. Nor did the engineering department opt for the oft-rumored hybrid gas/electric powertrain that might have popped a few Teutonic eyeballs in Stuttgart and Munich.

Instead, we get the trusty SOHC 3.5-liter V-6, massaged to deliver an ample 300 horsepower through a five-speed Tiptronic-style box. And, yep, there are even paddle shifters on the steering column, just like you get on the Bentley and other expensive European iron. Except for the needlessly complicated controller, the cockpit generally is a study in superior ergonomics and comfort, reinforcing the car’s exceptional dynamic performance.

You’re beginning to get the picture, I think. As much as I loved piloting the Continental GT —and continue to drool over that sensuous shape—I found myself increasingly drawn to the RL, which is far more understated, yet equally potent on its own terms and turf.

If I had $210,000, I’d love to have that Bentley in my garage.

But my everyday driver undoubtedly would be the Acura RL.

Global Auto Systems
Old 11-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Just goes to show you that price doesn't necessarily dictate the worthiness of an automobile
Old 11-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Wow...being compared to a Bentley is high praise indeed.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
Just goes to show you that price doesn't necessarily dictate the worthiness of an automobile

The Law of Diminishing Returns applies with cars for sure.