Easiest Colors to Match and Colors of Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest Colors to Match and Colors of Car

I have a couple of questions re: car color/paint.

1) When I get the RL in the future (hopefully), I was thinking of getting the white. However, in the TL forums, they were saying that the bumper colors don't match the rest of the car. So, what is the consensus here? Do the white RL's have a consistent color from the body panels to the bumpers?

2) Of all the people here who have had bumper paint work done, which color was the easiest to match with the rest of the car?

3) Which colors are the easiest to match in the event body work with paint needs to be done? In general the flat colors are easiest to match (especially super white) if I'm not mistaken. Not to sure about the pearl or metallic colors and if I'm not mistaken all the 2G RL colors are either metallic or pearl...

Thx
Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had three White Acuras. A 2004 White Diamond TL, 2006 White Diamond Pearl, and currently a 2007 White Diamond Pearl RL.

I would have to say the white paint on the TL did have a yellow tint on the 2004 TL bumpers. They did not match completely, and there was a flaw in the paint on the edge of the front bumper. They barely had the lip that is around the fender well painted on the TL.

Both RL's match flawlessly. You cannot the diffference from the plastic, fiberglass, and metal surfaces. I am not sure if this is due to a better paint process, or the 7 layers of hand sanded paint that the RL was advertised to have, or the fact the RL's overall quality is higher.

I cannot speak for newer TL's, if the paint process is better, they may now match flawlessly too.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 05 RL in Premium White Pearl and the body paint matches perfectly with the bumpers. The only problem with the white on the rear bumper is the black soot particles from the exhaust pipes. This has been discussed on older threads. I think you are correct that the RL doesn't have any flat colors, they are all metallic. That being said, any body work would require blending, but it should still match the surrounding paint, though it will cost a little bit more for the extra labor.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

same here....white paint on my RL is absolutely perfect...

check with on thread "I wrecked my car" as that is a white one that is being rebuilt and repainted. When it is done, we will know the quality of the body work, paint finish and paint match qualities
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Racer

Ddswv - If you had 2 white RL's and the paint matched perfectly, then I'd say the chances are that you're right. If not, I'd buy the lottery if I was you!

Parlownr - OK. Then you're the 2nd person to say the paint is perfect. I don't know if you read on this forum but some owners got the 07 (or was it the 06) exhaust tips that extended a bit beyond the bumper, mitigating the black soot issue. Also, I imagine if you used a good pre-wax cleaner and used a superior wax (or in my case, Rejex), the black soot should come off pretty easy.

Larrynimmo - I know that you're pretty active on this site. So, I'm sure you've seen many threads here.. As for that wrecked RL, yep, saw that thread. Thanks for the info nonetheless! I feel for 2007AcuraRL. I'd probably have a fit if it was me. Like you, I'm interested to see what the outcome will be wrt the body work.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

I too know that white pearl is a hard color to match, but we would all get our RL's repaired by the better body shops...its not like you save that much money going to the cheaper body shops. I do think that the 2007AcuraRL's white RL will come out like new.

If you want white...get white, don't loose any sleep over it. Bugs really show a lot and in the summer you have to always clean the front end. The paint really glistens in the sunshine. The only white car I have ever owned was in the early 1970's...I was drawn to the white pearl, have no regrets, and I would buy the white pearl again if I were to buy a new car today.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Racer

Wouldn't the white pearl be the easiest to match when compared to all the other Pearl paints available on the RL since the other's are darker?

Like you said, if we're spending a pretty penny on this car, I imagine, we'd go to the best possible body shop to get it repaired....
Old 11-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Wouldn't the white pearl be the easiest to match when compared to all the other Pearl paints available on the RL since the other's are darker?
Even a good body shop can have a problem with this color. Unlike many of the metallics, it's not just a single color with a clearcoat on top.

It's a white base color (not primer) then a pearl metallic coat and finally a clearcoat on top.

Getting an exact match is tricky due to minor fading. That's the reason why some older cars have bumpers that are more white or more yellow than the body panels.

If color matching is a concern almost any other Acura color would be easier to match at a body shop or in your garage.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

For what it's worth, I had an car damage appraiser (who also rebuilds cars) tell me the silvers and whites have the most number hues, and are the hardest to match up. The darker grays and blacks are the easiest, fewer hues of those colors. I don't know if it's true, but I couldn't argue, noticing examples of both.