Don't beat a dead horse..(NAV controls dismay)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't beat a dead horse..(NAV controls dismay)

Yes, this topic has been covered over and over, but I want to vent.

I am very disappointed in that Acura went the BMW / AUDI route and installed a rotating knob for NAVI control. Weak. Really weak. They shoved the screen so far under the windshield, that it looks completely out of place.

TL baby. The screen is right where you want it, and you can touch it.

Shoo with the knob. Acura and Lexus are actually innovators in this category. DVD-A. Bluetooth. I still can't believe they blatantly copied the Euros.

Here's hoping that Lexus won't give in.

But again, in this country people are sheep, and they want a knob, like in the Bimmers. So Acura gave in.

Weak.

Next TL with the same knob? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 340HP

I am very disappointed in that Acura went the BMW / AUDI route and installed a rotating knob for NAVI control. Weak. Really weak. They shoved the screen so far under the windshield, that it looks completely out of place.

Shoo with the knob. Acura and Lexus are actually innovators in this category. DVD-A. Bluetooth. I still can't believe they blatantly copied the Euros.

But again, in this country people are sheep, and they want a knob, like in the Bimmers. So Acura gave in.

Weak.

They 'shoved' the screen inward so it wouldn't get washed out from the sunlight.

I kinda liked the knob. I test drove an RL 2 weeks ago. While I found the outside of it utterly boring the inside was nice.

So what are you suggesting instead?

And why do you want a touch screen? you can TALK to the RL. No need to muck up the screen with greasy fingerprints.

The expected main input device is he voice control not the knob.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I sorta agree, when I first saw pics of the RL interior, the nav screen was not in the usual place where Acura puts it. Granted, it's to protect it from getting washed out in sunlight, but I think it's recessed too far.

Don't have issues with the knob. I've read nothing but praise about it.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

I had both a 2002 BMW 745i, a 2004 TL, and a 2005 RL. The RL's interface far surpasses both the "i-drive" on the BMW and the touch screen of the TL. The Voice Recognition function for controlling HVAC, Navigation, Radio, CD, etc.

Best Car that I have ever owned.

There will never be a car that everyone will like. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the knob.

However, I too am dissapointed at the lack of touch screen functionality. There is something to be said about the ability to quickly and efficiently access the information you need with a simple tap of the finger.

Voice "Commands" and twisty knobs are no catch-all supplement
Old 11-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
got 2 RL owners on here so far.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the touch screen capability as well, but there are enough other things I like about the RL as opposed to the TL to make it an easy decision (and I love my TL).

Hopefully there will soon be 3 RL owners in this forum. Dealer has a VIN number and is still saying delivery between 11/15 and 11/18. I hope so... I haven't had a good night's sleep since I put down the deposit on 10/24!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
I like the knob.

Voice "Commands" and twisty knobs are no catch-all supplement
I don't believe with newer voice recognition software comming out using a keyboard to input data is necessary.

It does a lot more than just commands. I spoke where I wanted to go in the RL and it took my verbal input fine.

Conversation went something like this...

RL: Which city
Me: "palatine"
RL: Street
Me: "Rimini court"
RL: address
ME: "365"

It worked perfectly and was much easier than futzing with the touchscreen, especially while driving.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
How cares about the knob? With the voice commands being so good, just use those.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
the new TL steals so much from MB and BMW you'd be surprised, I sat in my friend's E320 and thought I was sitting in my TL with all the stuff that was taken from it.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:54 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
japenese are good at copying shit from germans.... u gotta do what u gotta do... so i dont blame acura D:
Old 11-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SiGGy
They 'shoved' the screen inward so it wouldn't get washed out from the sunlight.

I kinda liked the knob. I test drove an RL 2 weeks ago. While I found the outside of it utterly boring the inside was nice.

So what are you suggesting instead?

And why do you want a touch screen? you can TALK to the RL. No need to muck up the screen with greasy fingerprints.

The expected main input device is he voice control not the knob.
I've had voice control on my 2002 Q45 and now have it on the TSX. I haven't tried the RL yet, but of the two cars which had this feature, I used it only to show off and impress others. Talking to your car makes no sense when you're listening to the radio or CD, since it keeps shutting down the speakers. It's slow and annoying.

Perhaps the RL voice command is so advanced you never need to press anything. Yet I don't mind pressing the buttons, or the NAVI screen. Have we become so lazy that we just sit there, holding the steering wheel, paralyzed, talking to our car to do everything for us?

As for sunlight - Acura could have put a small hood on the top of the bezel Like Lexus, in the RX300. Pushing it forward makes the screen appear smaller. Keeping it touch-sensitive and close at hand, like in the TSX and TL, to me, is the most elegant and most functional configuration. And that's what I'm suggesting.. Instead of bowing to the Euros, Acura should have continued the tradition of a close-by, touch-screen NAVI.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Licking Platters Clean

I dunno, I'd be pretty happy to keep everyone's greeezy paw prints off my screen! If the knob works well, it might be it.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:13 AM
2005 Carbon Grey RL

I didn't like the knob at first either because I was used to old habit of touching the screen, but as you get used to it, it is actually more efficient than the old hunt and peck. 2 other thoughts on this: 1. Acura advocates using the voice as quicker and safer navigating. 2. The knob controls all the other features/devices around it..without the knob you would have too many other controls for each function/device.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by JackSprat01
I dunno, I'd be pretty happy to keep everyone's greeezy paw prints off my screen! If the knob works well, it might be it.

I agree, at least one wouldn't have to wipe the screen every week like I do in my 04 TL
Old 11-10-2004, 11:35 AM
2005 Carbon Grey RL

The only other "problem" is learning all the voice commands..it can be a little overwhelming..I probably need to do a small cheat sheet!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Drifting

We should probably edit this thread title to make it descriptive...
Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 340HP

Weak.

Opinions vary of cause...here are two:

Also, like BMW, the Acura RL features a satin-finished aluminum knob in the center of the dash. It is rotated to select from a menu of electronic communications functions, climate control, audio, and navigation and pushed to activate the function selected. The number and variety of functions are probably just as complex as those offered by BMW, but somehow the Acura system seems more user-friendly, more logical in everyday use.
Automobile Mag

No longer is it necessary to hunt and peck each individual letter when entering an address into Acura's excellent navsystem. The voice-command system has become so good, it can now be used to enter an address or city name. For all those people who say voice command is silly, here is evidence to the contrary.
Road and Track
Old 11-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by peter97
The only other "problem" is learning all the voice commands..it can be a little overwhelming..I probably need to do a small cheat sheet!
The great thing is that the RL voice commands actually are pretty intuitive. I played around with one at a dealership and was quite impressed.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Banned

On the RL the dial is only for secondary functions. It's not really the same at all compared to the iDrive. Having the NAv screen closer like the TL would have been nice, however I think Acura took their cue from the BMW 5 and 7 Series. The only thing I don't like about the RL's Nav compared to the TL/TSX is when you enter in a place name you have to scroll that knob left and right. Touch screen was faster.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Assuming I read the last post correctly, I suggest you speak the name of the destination (state, city, or street). The RL's new Navi system will display the result and you'll be on your way. I find it faster than any other method I've ever seen.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Banned

That's right. It gives you multiple choices in case it mis-heard you.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Racer

I am one of those who don't like the turning knob. It is confusing because sometime you have to TURN the knob to the right or left and sometime yo have to PUSH the knob to the right or left and sometime you have to PRESS the knob to select the menu item.

With Touch screen you don't have those confusion at all. However, I am wondering how safe it is while driving and trying to use the touch screen at the same time (You have to look at the screen instead of the road right?). I agree voice command is probably the best but who can memorize all 400+ voice command? People probably will just use up to 20 voice commands. I guess after all, it really depends on the individual's like and dislike.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:34 AM
Instructor

The knob doesn't turn. It moves up or down, right or left. The ring (slightly behind the front of the knob) is what turns. It turns to the left or right. Period. When you have the item you want on the screen, you press the knob in to confirm your selection.

The system is easy, almost beyond-belief easy.

BTW, most voice commands don't need to be learned. I speak simple english and (most times) get exactly what I ask for.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:55 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Touch screen > Knob
Old 11-14-2004, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Just traded in my TL which I had owned for only 2 months on a new RL, the first thing I noticed was how much faster the knob made an address entry go on rough roads, on the touch screen I was allways getting double entries!!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DCRL
The knob doesn't turn. It moves up or down, right or left. The ring (slightly behind the front of the knob) is what turns. It turns to the left or right. Period. When you have the item you want on the screen, you press the knob in to confirm your selection.

The system is easy, almost beyond-belief easy.

BTW, most voice commands don't need to be learned. I speak simple english and (most times) get exactly what I ask for.
here is an interesting thread...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103131

more TLer prefer buttons and knob than voice command... and what ppl like/dislike about voice command also described in the thread.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EluSiOn
I am one of those who don't like the turning knob. It is confusing because sometime you have to TURN the knob to the right or left and sometime yo have to PUSH the knob to the right or left and sometime you have to PRESS the knob to select the menu item.

With Touch screen you don't have those confusion at all. However, I am wondering how safe it is while driving and trying to use the touch screen at the same time (You have to look at the screen instead of the road right?). I agree voice command is probably the best but who can memorize all 400+ voice command? People probably will just use up to 20 voice commands. I guess after all, it really depends on the individual's like and dislike.
Why all the discussion about either voice or touch or knob? The TL offers all three methods but the RL only offers two. I was very dissapointed after waiting all these years for the "new" RL. I expected more.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ramilford, actually I think "only offers two" may be better than three. Simplification is key as complicated as these Acuras are!

I am trying to learn the voice better so that I can use this everyday. The Interface Dial is good to have because it is menu based and if you don't remember what to say, you can always look through the choices by using the dial.

I agree that it is frustrating when the system doesn't understand what you said. But I think this voice recognition thing has gotten to the point where it is actually useful (versus some voice typing programs I tried a few years back on my PC). People I give rides to are surprised that is recognizes speech especially when they I show them that anyone's voice will work. Before I tested the TL last year I just assumed that the voice recognition was from you taking the time to train on specific words. This is defintely a step forward and for the most part it works fine!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:42 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't like the touchscreen in my 03 CLS. It's slow and not precise and takes a lot of attention off the road. Maybe the TL one is faster and more precise.