Cross shopping RL with new Accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross shopping RL with new Accord

Given the fact that there isn't that much of a difference between the 2008 Accord EX V6 and the RL, except for basically the SH-AWD and Xenon HID, I'm wondering if anyone cross-shopped the RL with the Accord and chose the RL?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
go for the RL ... the accord is fugly
Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Given the fact that there isn't that much of a difference between the 2008 Accord EX V6 and the RL, except for basically the SH-AWD and Xenon HID, I'm wondering if anyone cross-shopped the RL with the Accord and chose the RL?
Well that's a gross oversimplification. They are both cars, to be sure. And they have V6 engines. And they're similar in size. But that's about it.

Just sitting between one and the other should be a pretty good indication that the RL is head and shoulders above the Accord in terms of material and build quality. And I don't think you can simply dismiss SH-AWD: It's the Shiznit!

Rob144
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced

I presume you never sat in or drove an RL, correct?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Instructor

I just picked up an '05 RL after almost buying an '08 Accord EX-L V6 with navi... and I mean almost! I had the paperwork sitting in front of me with the salesguy eagarly awaiting my handshake, but I didn't pull the trigger because there is just something about the new Accord that didn't "do it" for me.
Drive the Accord first then drive an RL... you'll realize what everyone else on this form already knows. The RL is a far superior vehicle.
Happy shopping!
Old 12-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Pro

Wow, there is so much different. How about alum sub frame, alum suspension, top level brakes with alum calipers, noise cancellation, better fit and finish, much better stereo, and SWAWD is world class. Totally different cars IMO.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob144
Well that's a gross oversimplification. They are both cars, to be sure. And they have V6 engines. And they're similar in size. But that's about it.

Just sitting between one and the other should be a pretty good indication that the RL is head and shoulders above the Accord in terms of material and build quality. And I don't think you can simply dismiss SH-AWD: It's the Shiznit!

Rob144
Agreed. But tell that to my wife who thinks a car is just point A to point B stuff. I'm an engineer so I understand the things that lie under the skin.....

I'm just curious nonetheless. If you look at the cars on the surface and spec's they put into the brochure, the Accord is pretty impressive..
Old 12-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fstshrk
I presume you never sat in or drove an RL, correct?
I actually test drove an 08 RL Tech Package about 2 months ago. It was at night. Loved the Xenon HID lights, lack of torque steer, and yes the high quality of material. I was a little surprised though with the amount of noise coming into the cabin. Thought it would have been a quieter..

I was on my own so I didn't want to get into an accident so I was really concentrating on driving though. If it was in the day, I think I would have noticed more...
Old 12-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Wow, there is so much different. How about alum sub frame, alum suspension, top level brakes with alum calipers, noise cancellation, better fit and finish, much better stereo, and SWAWD is world class. Totally different cars IMO.
Agreed, beauty here is more than skin deep. I believe the Accord has noise cancellation...

Believe me, I understand the meaning of top quality components.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed, beauty here is more than skin deep. I believe the Accord has noise cancellation...

Believe me, I understand the meaning of top quality components.

If you want a cheap car, buy the Accord.
RL is more than a car. Its handling in the corner is superior (Thanks for the SH-AWD).
BMW 5 series, M35 Infiniti, Lexus GS350, Audi A6 are in the same class as RL but not the Accord.

Note: I am an engineer like you too and my wife loves the car when she gets on and off exit into the clover shape from the high way.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Smile

Agreed. But tell that to my wife who thinks a car is just point A to point B stuff. ..
This statement represents the majority of the car buying public. And in that case I would always recommend the cheapest option. Why waste hard earned money for something you have little more understanding of than your countertop toaster?

But if you are shopping a $40-50K premium vehicle, the RL is worth the search and consideration. That will be the minority of the car buying public.

I for one, will happily be a minority within connoisseurs, than a majority of mass market consumers.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Pro

Get her a CRV, my wife loves her second one, can't get her out of it. My wallet is very happy she does not like the MDX.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Get her a CRV, my wife loves her second one, can't get her out of it. My wallet is very happy she does not like the MDX.
She already has the Ody! The next car we buy is supposed to be mine!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

She already has the Ody! The next car we buy is supposed to be mine!
Then it is settled.

1) Mention to her what a wonderful vehicle the Odyssey is.

2) Tell her how MUCH you love her.

3) THEN tell her you are buying an RL.

My work here is done.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Then it is settled.

1) Mention to her what a wonderful vehicle the Odyssey is.

2) Tell her how MUCH you love her.

3) THEN tell her you are buying an RL.

My work here is done.
My work began a long time ago. I'm still trying..
Old 12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Racer

This statement represents the majority of the car buying public. And in that case I would always recommend the cheapest option. Why waste hard earned money for something you have little more understanding of than your countertop toaster?

But if you are shopping a $40-50K premium vehicle, the RL is worth the search and consideration. That will be the minority of the car buying public.

I for one, will happily be a minority within connoisseurs, than a majority of mass market consumers.
Agreed. Wife's in finance, aka. bean counter.

I don't consider the RL a waste of hard earned money. Hence me being here and trying to go for the RL. She may not appreciate, but I will for sure...
Old 12-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Agreed. Wife's in finance, aka. bean counter.

I don't consider the RL a waste of hard earned money. Hence me being here and trying to go for the RL. She may not appreciate, but I will for sure...
Diamonds are much less functional (for the typical owner) and much more expensive. Yet she HAS a diamond (I hope!).

Write these down, geronimomoe,,,,we are building your case here.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting story...

My wife told me she was ok with 40k for a Lexus ES350...she said pick the color & get the car you really want. I did almost buy the ES but I wasn't satisfied with the deal. I read in the forums about a lot of dissatisfied ES owners and there were some getting buybacks and turning around and buying RL's. I noticied that really no one was really complaining about RL's. (with the RL loosing a quart of oil in 5k miles was enough to dump the car, but on the ES site, engines sounding like diesels, trannie flares, unexpected acceleration, wind noise, rattles, buybacks etc)

When I told my wife I picked the RL, she was not happy with me. When we went to pick the car up she wouldn't talk to me. She had told me she wanted no part of the car. Even riding home from the dealership she was unhappy. A few days later after driving in the car a few times, she changed her tune and told me she liked the car better than the Lexus and its hard for my wife to change her mind.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
While the RL is a great car, the '08 Accord EX-L v6 is very nice for the money. Enough that I can see why you're actually comparing the two. Does $20,000 buy you all that much more? I don't think it does. Thats why I'd buy an '05 or '06 RL with low miles and save quite a bit of cash. Honda has its work cut out for them when they refresh the RL.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I was a little surprised though with the amount of noise coming into the cabin. Thought it would have been a quieter..
If Honda/Acura stopped using Michelin as their OEM tires there would be much less noise complaints across the whole line.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lumpulus
If Honda/Acura stopped using Michelin as their OEM tires there would be much less noise complaints across the whole line.
I think the Michelins on my 08 are pretty quiet.
I have always had good luck with Michelin and Yokohoma.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Racer

Diamonds are much less functional (for the typical owner) and much more expensive. Yet she HAS a diamond (I hope!).

Write these down, geronimomoe,,,,we are building your case here.

Tampa, let the idea's keep coming.. I'm going to have to finagle this one.......
Old 12-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
interesting story...

My wife told me she was ok with 40k for a Lexus ES350...she said pick the color & get the car you really want. I did almost buy the ES but I wasn't satisfied with the deal. I read in the forums about a lot of dissatisfied ES owners and there were some getting buybacks and turning around and buying RL's. I noticied that really no one was really complaining about RL's. (with the RL loosing a quart of oil in 5k miles was enough to dump the car, but on the ES site, engines sounding like diesels, trannie flares, unexpected acceleration, wind noise, rattles, buybacks etc)

When I told my wife I picked the RL, she was not happy with me. When we went to pick the car up she wouldn't talk to me. She had told me she wanted no part of the car. Even riding home from the dealership she was unhappy. A few days later after driving in the car a few times, she changed her tune and told me she liked the car better than the Lexus and its hard for my wife to change her mind.
My wife would probably do the same thing. Her reactions in the past to being "forced" (?) into situations she didn't like give me that kind of feeling.

Years ago, when we were married, we were on the way to a friend's (mine) wedding in Philadelphia and she got real, real quiet. The friend happened to be a beautiful blonde woman and on the way there my wife told me she didn't want to go.. So we turned around.... Of course I digress....
Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
While the RL is a great car, the '08 Accord EX-L v6 is very nice for the money. Enough that I can see why you're actually comparing the two. Does $20,000 buy you all that much more? I don't think it does. Thats why I'd buy an '05 or '06 RL with low miles and save quite a bit of cash. Honda has its work cut out for them when they refresh the RL.
Yep, the cost differential would be close to $20K, comparing apples to apples. Hence my question.

Don't get me wrong, the RL is a great car. As Neuronbob said (at least I think he said) the RL was Honda's showcase car. Now the DNA is flowing down into the lesser vehicles, ie. Accord.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
LOL at this thread!

Only a wife would cross-shop an RL with an Accord.

After the RL, I don't think I'll willingly buy a FWD car ever again, and certainly not an Accord.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lumpulus
I think it was a mixture of tire and engine noise for me.. But I'm going to try and go for a test drive again..
Old 12-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
LOL at this thread!

Only a wife would cross-shop an RL with an Accord.

After the RL, I don't think I'll willingly buy a FWD car ever again, and certainly not an Accord.
Hey, I was wondering when you'd chime in!

My wife is the kind of person who asks me the following:

1) How much is it going to cost in total?

2) How much is it going to cost in total?

3) Did I say, she'd ask "How much is it going to cost in total?"

I like my toys, she's just practical, sometimes too practical.....

You're right too about FWD. I'd take RWD or AWD any day before FWD..
Old 12-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Tampa, let the idea's keep coming.. I'm going to have to finagle this one.......
Ummmm,,,,,let's see.....

Try these:

*The RL is on SALE! (women cannot resist that word).

*Promise her you will keep it 5+ years (women love commitment).

*Pick a color that matches her eyes and tell her you see her in the reflection of the brilliant paint job.

*Tell her you will progra all shoe stores into the NAVI.

*Explain how you want her to be seen in a well engineered auto like the Accord, but more exclusive, as is the RL.

*The sun shades are a MUST for the MIL. (show your compassion).

*Tell her you want luxury, but understanding her sense of value, reliabilty and practicality, the RL is the best compromise. (works in relationship management too).

*The RL will keep her comfortable with dual zone climate control AND solar sensing capabilities!

*Show her the owner's manual shelf in the glove box and claim it is specifically for makeup compacts. (Hide the manual under the seat beforehand).

*Explain that owning an Acura will help you ADVANCE. (women think all men are Neanderthals).

*Tell her women love men in Accords, but never notice men in RLs. (reverse psycology).

*Be sure the salesreps are properly aligned. Acura rep should be a short, bald fat man. Honda rep should be a firtatious blonde woman with 2 stage air bag chest.

*Tell her Acura sends chocolates and flowers on the anniversary date of the RL purchase (be sure to mark you calendar and set up AutoPay with FTD.com).

*Tell her your car reflects your marriage vowes. The Honda means you have reached and 'Accord' wheras the Acura means you Really Love her.

If all else fails, tell her it is between the RL and a HUMMER!

Now memorize these, and hit her rapid fire. She should crumble before you reach the chocolates.

Now go...go and be a MAN.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Racer

Tampa, OK. I'll have to do a search to find this thread when I'm ready.. She might find that I'm full of it, but hey, it's worth a try..

Oh, and yes, I'm whipped..... OUCH!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by supergreen
I just picked up an '05 RL after almost buying an '08 Accord EX-L V6 with navi... and I mean almost! I had the paperwork sitting in front of me with the salesguy eagarly awaiting my handshake, but I didn't pull the trigger because there is just something about the new Accord that didn't "do it" for me.
Drive the Accord first then drive an RL... you'll realize what everyone else on this form already knows. The RL is a far superior vehicle.
Happy shopping!
Supergreen, so if you don't mind me asking, the 05 that you picked up, how much did you pay and how many miles were on the car?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, and yes, I'm whipped..... OUCH!
*cough* man lessons *cough*.

If we all thought in dollars and cents, we'd all be driving Kia Rios.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:54 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
The more I see of the new Accord, the less I like it. The style is just too restless, and those slanted tail lights really bother me ... they look like assembly line mistakes.

I can't find a pleasant viewing angle for the Accord. IMO, the last-gen one was a more harmonious design.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Racer

*cough* man lessons *cough*.

If we all thought in dollars and cents, we'd all be driving Kia Rios.
Actually, Yugos...
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The more I see of the new Accord, the less I like it. The style is just too restless, and those slanted tail lights really bother me ... they look like assembly line mistakes.

I can't find a pleasant viewing angle for the Accord. IMO, the last-gen one was a more harmonious design.

See for me, the exact reverse is true. The previous Accord looked cheap and the styling was very strange. The front looked like a saboteur from Chrysler came along during development and decided to have fun with the clay model one night..
Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Fugly about sums it up for the 2008 Accord.

Now, as for the RL...recalling that the wife is in finance...it's December, and this time last year I was able to get my 2006 RL for dead cost ($11K off list, $5500 under invoice as I recall). Even a bean counter ought to relate to THAT.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG how pathetic.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

No, it's not pathetic at all. It is reflective of the way some people buy a car, in this case the OP's wife. This type of person sees no value in the higher build quality or other extra features in a luxury car even if the tech is similar. Thus she is not really a luxury car buyer. We, and the OP, merely disagree with her.

I hope the OP wins--after all, for a luxury car the RL is quite a steal when compared with its proper competition--he needs to present that to his wife.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Pro

Try this, tell her
1) Life is short and that is why you have been working, you deserve it, you could die tomorrow.
2) You don't have a boat or race car talking all your money so you deserve the car.
3) That extra 10 grand for the RL will not change your life.
4) You are not out at the bars with the guys wasting all your money, you would rather spend it on the car for the 2 of you.
Good luck.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Intermediate

The new accord is a generic version of the RL!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Racer

No, it's not pathetic at all. It is reflective of the way some people buy a car, in this case the OP's wife. This type of person sees no value in the higher build quality or other extra features in a luxury car even if the tech is similar. Thus she is not really a luxury car buyer. We, and the OP, merely disagree with her.

I hope the OP wins--after all, for a luxury car the RL is quite a steal when compared with its proper competition--he needs to present that to his wife.
Thanks Neuronbob. That's exactly how she see's a car. She keeps telling me that there is nothing special about a MB, BMW, Audi, etc. and she'd be very angry at me if we paid over $40K for a car and had problems.

Truthfully, the bottom line for her are the following in order of importance:

1) How much is it going to cost OTD.
2) How reliable is it?

Some people are just that way, seeing cars as a tool to get from point A to point B at the lowest possible cost. Other people are point A to point B and how much fun/enjoyment can I have between those 2 points and be willing to pay for it. I am belong to the latter group.

Quick Reply: Cross shopping RL with new Accord