Complete list of changes on the 2009 RL

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete list of changes on the 2009 RL

I've taken the liberty of compiling a lengthy, yet thorough list of the changes Acura has made on the 2009 RL. (Please let me know if you think I've missed anything)

-AcuraLink with Real-Time weather reports & servive appointment scheduling
-Newly incorporated Traffic Rerouting
-Increased levels of Zagat reviews
-XM Note Feature which allows the recording of up to ten seconds of music along with the name of the artist, song title, and even the XM channel name that can be referred to at a later time
-New Smart Entry keyless entry and start system
-New Active Sound Control, which is more advanced than the old Active Noise Cancellation system. Whereas ANC dealt specifically with the elimination of low decibel noise entering the cabin, the new ASC system has a much broader range including the elimination of unwanted high frequency noise. In addition, ASC is linked to throttle position and engine rpm to provide a quieter cockpit during normal cruising while still allowing the 3.7L's muscular sound to be enjoyed during spirited, high rpm driving
-New high-directional array microphone for improved coverage area and voice "pick up" during noisy conditions, such as when the windows are down
-Revised Bluetooth Audio and HandsFreeLink that now features over 700 voice commands along with substantially improved voice recognition
-Revised steering rack components designed to create a more responsive and linear steering feel. Changes include: new diameter steering valves, improved design of the steering rack guide, an all-new compact noise isolation (CNI) steering joint, and revised electronic control parameters.
-Upgraded, higher-rate coil springs & revised dampers
-Stiffer subframe mount bushings
-Larger diameter rear stabilizer bar
-New 18" wheels w/ more aggressive tires
-New 3.7 liter V6 with the first ever SOHC use of VTEC valvetrain actuation for both the intake and exhaust valves developing 300 hp & 271 lb-ft of torque
-New engine surround panel designed to give the engine bay a more upscale appearance
-Revised 5-Speed Sequential SportShift Automatic w/ larger counter shafts, revised gearing, improved clutches along with a new torque converter replete with an improved lock-up assembly. The new transmission is operated via a new straight-gate style console-mounted shifter or by way of a new "smart" F1®-style steering wheel paddle shifter system that now works when the transmission is in Drive (formerly the paddles only operated when in Manual mode).
-New steering wheel and gear shift knob with wood appearance trim standard on models with Tech Package (real wood w/ CMBS Package)
-Revised center stack color/appearance (now a dark gunmetal silver)
-Increased use of the wood patterned trim which is improved in quality and has a richer appearance
-Reprogrammed SH-AWD designed to more quickly redistribute engine torque
-Revised HVAC controls with larger, clearer lettering/graphics and easier actuation of climate control functions
-Redesigned A/C vents
-5 new exterior colors and a new pearl pigment paint process delivering increased luster/shine
-Increased rear passenger seat room
-Easier to use front seatbelts
-New front door mounted pull pockets (located just aft of the power window controls)
-Softer armrests
-Upgraded gauges that incorporate brushed metal accents for enhanced appearance
-More sound insulation throughout the cabin
-A more high-tech design of Acura's acustic glass windshield
-Heated & Cooled (first for the U.S.) seats w/ 6 levels of adjustment
-Front passenger seat now has 10-way adjustment
-New USB connectivity port
-New Headrests/Active Headrest Restraint System
-New, bolder exterior styling (Approx. 80% new, with only the doors and roof remaining unchanged)

Source: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/793/releases/4413
Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Good list. They obviously changed a lot of stuff that doesn't show!

But I'm wondering about the "-New Smart Entry keyless entry and start system". I may have missed earlier posts on this, but do you know exactly how this has changed?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Pro

Unfortunately, Acura doesn't go into detail about this change. Based on the pics of the new RL, the door handles and the turn-style starter haven't changed so we can rule out push-button starting. I'm *guessing* they somehow changed (improved?) the remote transmitter/key. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe they somehow incorporated new security technology in the key. Some people w/ similar systems on Lexus/Infiniti vehicles have reported that the keyless transmitters are too easily copied and make their vehicles vulnerable to theft.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe I missed it on the list, but how about "higher prices"?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job, jwaters. Convienent to have this all in one place. Do we know what the new colors are? I haven't seen that info anywhere.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Shark Fin?

So, have you figured out why they brought back the shark fin antenna?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Pro

I would seriously doubt if prices go up more than a few hundred dollars. Aside from weak sales of the current model, we're also in, or headed toward, (depending on who you believe) a recession. Unless Acura wants to more deeply discount the RL, I suggest they hold firm on pricing.

No clue about what the new colors are. As for the shark fin, I'm guessing it may be for the weather reports/Acura Link system.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Shouldn't that last line read...

"New, BUTT UGLY, exterior design."
Old 02-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Pro

Got anything meaningful to add or are you just here to rehash the same thing you've said in a half dozen other threads?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice list, jwaters. Thanks for compiling. Sounds like you're ready to buy one.

How is the current engine compartment arrangement less "upscale", though?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
saw at TOV, 09 RL colors -not official -
Crystal Black pearl,
Silver jade metallic,
Grigio metallic,
Tuscan beige,
Alberta white,
Platinum Frost,
Opulent blue and
Redondo red
Old 02-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
How is the current engine compartment arrangement less "upscale", though?
Nothing more than silly marketing speak IMO.

Here are the two engine bays for comparison:

2005-2008

Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jwaters943
Got anything meaningful to add or are you just here to rehash the same thing you've said in a half dozen other threads?
I'm touched you follow me around reading my posts.

Why would anyone care what the engine compartment looks like?

When I open the hood on my car, I think, "What a pain to take off all these trim pieces and therefore add to labor costs when the car is serviced."
Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
AcurAdmirer

Underhood aesthetics have become a big deal for some reason. Aside from providing a place to put some sound-deadening material to mask engine noise, engine covers are just a way to hide ugly engine plumbing and whirring belts and pulleys.

Some of us old guys remember when you could look under the hood of a car and actually recognize things like water pumps, carburetors (what the hell are those?), brake master cylinders, distributors and all manner of other funky stuff. But now you open the hood and it looks like something you'd find in the modern furniture department at Ikea.

But that's a nice cover on the '09 RL. Makes me want to buy one.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know Honda is retainin the DVD-Audio capable player or will all my DVD-A discs end up next to my HD DVD discs?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Pro

It still has the same DVD-Audio system. Although, I question how long automakers will continue advertising this as a selling feature. DVD-Audio Discs are increasingly rare and have never really been embraced by the general public. Features like Hard Disk Drive music storage with MP3/iPod connectivity seem to be the "in" thing now.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, Acura doesn't go into detail about this change. Based on the pics of the new RL, the door handles and the turn-style starter haven't changed so we can rule out push-button starting. I'm *guessing* they somehow changed (improved?) the remote transmitter/key. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe they somehow incorporated new security technology in the key. Some people w/ similar systems on Lexus/Infiniti vehicles have reported that the keyless transmitters are too easily copied and make their vehicles vulnerable to theft.
Is there any chance that the keyless entry is now for all 4 doors instead of just the 2 front door sensors in the 2005-2008 models? That would be a nice upgrade?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I think the 09 RL keeps DVD-A, no audio changes =no xtra cost. Interesting that the new 09 TSX has added DVD-A, also, probably more for cutting costs by using what they already had in the TL and RL. The Beatles-Love DVD-A that came out in late 06 was great and got DVD-A some extra interest. it just won a grammy for best surround disc.
I realize it's a nearly dead format but I love my old favorite albums in DVD-A .
I have DVD-A home system and my next Acura will have it too.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure, but I think that the dash on the regular tech model will now be plood. To get real wood dash, you have to opt for the CMBS stand alone pkg.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
"Reprogrammed SH-AWD designed to more quickly redistribute engine torque."

Wonder if there's any chance that this reprogramming will become available to the '05 - '08 RL.

LL
Old 02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I wonder what the more aggressive tires are? The specs show them as the same Pilot HX MXM4 all seasons. Maybe because it is a 45 series vs a 50 series?

Of course the spec tables still make reference to a 3.5 liter and PAX equipped car versions--all typos in my opinion.

But overall, it seems like some good evolutionary changes worthy of an MMC, except the exterior redesign, especially the front, seems very discordant to me, enough so that I am turned off by the outside enough to not consider the rest of the car...
Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
* New, bolder exterior styling (Approx. 80% new, with only the doors and roof remaining unchanged)

The change to the rear quarter panel is absolutely trivial. The seam between the bumper and the panel kicks up towards the rear a little sooner (contributing to the droopy-looking taillight when seen from the side). Even the hood is basically the same, only raised up a little.

So, how did they come up with 80% new on the body? By my count, 5 of the 11 metal panels stayed the same, and as mentioned, 2 of the 11 barely changed. That's a change of a little over 50%.

Let's add the bumpers and side skirts and see what happens. 10 of 15 "things" are new. That's a 67% change.

OK. Let's add the dechromed door guards. Then 14 of 19 "things" changed on the outside. That's 74%.

Add the wheels/tires. Then 19 of 24 things changed on the outside. That's 79%.

OK. Let's count the grille, even though it is part of the bumper. 20 of 25 things are different on the outside. That's 4/5....80%! Ding Ding Ding!

Aside from the wheels, you could carve the "new" right off the 2009 RL with a paring knife from the bottom of the front bumper up along the top of the front fenders to the base of the windshield, and then pick up again at the base of the rear window and slice off the trunk lid and taillights to the exhausts.

Rob144
Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Pro

None of those things negate the fact that even slight changes = new.

For the record, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the car looks largely the same and most people will only notice the different grill & taillights.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've taken the liberty of compiling a lengthy, yet thorough list of the changes Acura has made on the 2009 RL. (Please let me know if you think I've missed anything)

-AcuraLink with Real-Time weather reports & servive appointment scheduling
-Newly incorporated Traffic Rerouting
-Increased levels of Zagat reviews
-XM Note Feature which allows the recording of up to ten seconds of music along with the name of the artist, song title, and even the XM channel name that can be referred to at a later time
-New Smart Entry keyless entry and start system
-New Active Sound Control, which is more advanced than the old Active Noise Cancellation system. Whereas ANC dealt specifically with the elimination of low decibel noise entering the cabin, the new ASC system has a much broader range including the elimination of unwanted high frequency noise. In addition, ASC is linked to throttle position and engine rpm to provide a quieter cockpit during normal cruising while still allowing the 3.7L's muscular sound to be enjoyed during spirited, high rpm driving
-New high-directional array microphone for improved coverage area and voice "pick up" during noisy conditions, such as when the windows are down
-Revised Bluetooth Audio and HandsFreeLink that now features over 700 voice commands along with substantially improved voice recognition
-Revised steering rack components designed to create a more responsive and linear steering feel. Changes include: new diameter steering valves, improved design of the steering rack guide, an all-new compact noise isolation (CNI) steering joint, and revised electronic control parameters.
-Upgraded, higher-rate coil springs & revised dampers
-Stiffer subframe mount bushings
-Larger diameter rear stabilizer bar
-New 18" wheels w/ more aggressive tires
-New 3.7 liter V6 with the first ever SOHC use of VTEC valvetrain actuation for both the intake and exhaust valves developing 300 hp & 271 lb-ft of torque
-New engine surround panel designed to give the engine bay a more upscale appearance
-Revised 5-Speed Sequential SportShift Automatic w/ larger counter shafts, revised gearing, improved clutches along with a new torque converter replete with an improved lock-up assembly. The new transmission is operated via a new straight-gate style console-mounted shifter or by way of a new "smart" F1®-style steering wheel paddle shifter system that now works when the transmission is in Drive (formerly the paddles only operated when in Manual mode).
-New steering wheel and gear shift knob with wood appearance trim standard on models with Tech Package (real wood w/ CMBS Package)
-Revised center stack color/appearance (now a dark gunmetal silver)
-Increased use of the wood patterned trim which is improved in quality and has a richer appearance
-Reprogrammed SH-AWD designed to more quickly redistribute engine torque
-Revised HVAC controls with larger, clearer lettering/graphics and easier actuation of climate control functions
-Redesigned A/C vents
-5 new exterior colors and a new pearl pigment paint process delivering increased luster/shine
-Increased rear passenger seat room
-Easier to use front seatbelts
-New front door mounted pull pockets (located just aft of the power window controls)
-Softer armrests
-Upgraded gauges that incorporate brushed metal accents for enhanced appearance
-More sound insulation throughout the cabin
-A more high-tech design of Acura's acustic glass windshield
-Heated & Cooled (first for the U.S.) seats w/ 6 levels of adjustment
-Front passenger seat now has 10-way adjustment
-New USB connectivity port
-New Headrests/Active Headrest Restraint System
-New, bolder exterior styling (Approx. 80% new, with only the doors and roof remaining unchanged)

Source: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/793/releases/4413
I just noticed something else. Based on the photos, it looks like they made the side sills standard as well. The front and back underbody pieces were "stick on" items. The side sills were actually a swap out of what was there off the assembly line. Seems they are using those optional sills as standard now. I added them to my RL. I think that was a $400 option.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Underhood aesthetics have become a big deal for some reason. Aside from providing a place to put some sound-deadening material to mask engine noise, engine covers are just a way to hide ugly engine plumbing and whirring belts and pulleys.

Some of us old guys remember when you could look under the hood of a car and actually recognize things like water pumps, carburetors (what the hell are those?), brake master cylinders, distributors and all manner of other funky stuff. But now you open the hood and it looks like something you'd find in the modern furniture department at Ikea.

:lol:

I remember changing the water pump on my college car ('78 Chevy Impala w/305 ci V8) with nothing more than a 3.8" socket wrench set and a crowbar.

Try to do that today.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Go Big Blue!

LOL You probably also remember opening the hood and seeing the GROUND below you. Engines were pretty simple then. Every part was identifiable and you could trace the connections and lines between everything. We all worked on our own cars when we were 18 to do tune ups carb rebuilts, etc. I doubt many kids do any work on their engines anymore. I honestly can't even imagine how a mechanic works on an engine today when I look inside that hood
Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
:lol:

I remember changing the water pump on my college car ('78 Chevy Impala w/305 ci V8) with nothing more than a 3.8" socket wrench set and a crowbar.

Try to do that today.
Ain't that the truth. I once changed the water pump on my '76 Accord in the parking lot of a motel during a vacation trip. A few bolts and she was off. Used the plastic motel wastebasket to catch the antifreeze, and then just poured it back in.

The whole operation took me maybe a half-hour, and that was only because I was being careful.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
LOL You probably also remember opening the hood and seeing the GROUND below you. Engines were pretty simple then. Every part was identifiable and you could trace the connections and lines between everything. We all worked on our own cars when we were 18 to do tune ups carb rebuilts, etc. I doubt many kids do any work on their engines anymore. I honestly can't even imagine how a mechanic works on an engine today when I look inside that hood
Oh, yeah! We worked on our cars back when we were kids because we had no choice. If we wanted to keep 'em running, we had to do the work.

U-joints, motor mounts, water pumps, carburetor rebuilds, plugs and plug wires, points (remember those?), wheel bearings, clutches, minor body work, even whole engine rebuilds from rings and main bearings to inserts and those pesky main bearing rear seals.

That was back when things were mechanical ... now they're computerized, and you have to have thousands of dollars to even diagnose a problem.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Ain't that the truth. I once changed the water pump on my '76 Accord in the parking lot of a motel during a vacation trip. A few bolts and she was off. Used the plastic motel wastebasket to catch the antifreeze, and then just poured it back in.

The whole operation took me maybe a half-hour, and that was only because I was being careful.

I remember taking a family trip to Florida in '83. Six of us piled into a '74 Malibu classic that didn't have A/C.

Just before the trip we notice a small leak in the radiator, but we foolishly departed. At the first gas stop the leak got worse, so we purchased that "STOP LEAK" stuff. Surprisingly it held together and got us to Florida.

Two days later as we were headed from the hotel to Disney I think, I started the car and it resembled Buckingham Fountain.

I pulled the radiator in the motel parking lot with nothing more than a screw driver and a pair of pliers. Took it to a radiator shop to have it re-cored, and then re-installed it. I think the total cost was $90 and that included a couple gallons of anti-freeze.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Go Big Blue!

, points (remember those.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
USB port??

So does that mean I can plug in a USB memory stick with music in .WAV or MP3 and have it play?? or is the USB port for some other purpose?? Any clues about what an interface might look like on the screen? Did they ever get the Ipod interface to be user friendly? I presume that's what the AUX port if for.

Oh and reading Mike's thoughts about working on cars I remember working on a Datsun (Nissan for you too young to remember) that had dual points and not having a clue how to set two of them BIG mess but a local mechanic took pity and showed me how easy it was. I also remember being able to pull my 76 Accord up on jack stands to change the oil,replace the filter (middle and front of the engine compartment that I could easily reach), check everything under the hood, check and set the timing, all in about 30 minutes. Changed the timing belt in my 85 Prelude in the driveway in about an hour. Boy, those were the days.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
office monkey

How about someone gives me all those upgrades (aside from the ventilated seats since I have had that since day one. Holla!) into my 05 RL so I can keep the IMO far superior exterior look.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
How about someone gives me all those upgrades (aside from the ventilated seats since I have had that since day one. Holla!) into my 05 RL so I can keep the IMO far superior exterior look.

It would be sweet to upgrade many of those feastures onto our RLs. Many of which are likley software based (NAVI and SHAWD tuning). I'd like the improved ANC. Hardware-wise the shifter and cooled seats would be nice. I'll just pass on the grille-with-its-own-zipcode.

But I doubt aut manufacturers will design vehichles to be upgraded, nor dealers capable of supporting this (although it would be a new product line and revenue stream for service centers).

The problem with technology is that is becomes obsolete faster than consumers are willing to replace vehicles. By offering new technology so rapidly, they can PO consumers who have previous versions. Likley they will have to package technology bundles with model changes.

But it would be sweet to make my next service call a technology update as well.