Is the Climate Control true Dual Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Question Is the Climate Control true Dual Mode?

If it is, I can't figure out how to make it operate in dual mode. By that, I mean that in my TL, I could select the temperature and air distribution for driver and passenger. For example, I could have the dash vents blowing and my wife could shut hers off and had just the floor vents blowing. I haven't be able to figure out how to do that in the RL. It seems that I can only vary the temperture from side to side and not the how the air is distributed. Am I missing something?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could never figure out how to do it in my TL or the RL. I always just assumed it couldn't be done.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vp911
I could never figure out how to do it in my TL or the RL. I always just assumed it couldn't be done.
The TL was actually very simple, you just push the Mode button on the passenger side of the screen to pick your preferred method of air distribution, defrost, dash, floor or combination. I just can't figure out how it works in the RL
Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember that button - it never worked in my TL and I had questioned the dealer. They said it didn't have a function. Oh well, I didn't care that much.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it's not true dual mode.....I was disappointed in this feature (or lack there of) also. Once you vary the temp in dual mode, then go to the climate control screen and select bi-level.........then, there will be another screen that you can select to vary the flow.........but I could not see any difference when making this adjustment. Strange setup.......seems the TL is straight forward and easier to use. This only lets you adjust in bi-level mode......doesn't make sense to limit it to that.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kph3
No, it's not true dual mode.....I was disappointed in this feature (or lack there of) also. Once you vary the temp in dual mode, then go to the climate control screen and select bi-level.........then, there will be another screen that you can select to vary the flow.........but I could not see any difference when making this adjustment. Strange setup.......seems the TL is straight forward and easier to use. This only lets you adjust in bi-level mode......doesn't make sense to limit it to that.
Still love the car, but disappointed in the little comforts that the TL provided and the RL lacks, this "dual mode" thing for one.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:05 AM
office monkey

wow, I didn't know some cars with dual mode had that option as i have only experienced dual temp cars where you couldn't adjust each airflow like that. Too bad the RL doesn't have that.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
My TL did have a dual mode and dual temp, as well as my 2006 RL.

I have found no differences on the RL. Please note that when you select the front defroster that the dual mode is switched to the Defroster only until you turn the defroster off. You have to either use the voice commands or select dual mode through the climate control menu using the jog dial. You cannot select dual mode from climate control buttons only. Also, one of the features that is available for the vent selection in the climate control screen, is a higher or lower temp setting for the auto GPS adjustment for sunlight for the driver or passenger when in auto mode.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddswv
My TL did have a dual mode and dual temp, as well as my 2006 RL.

I have found no differences on the RL. Please note that when you select the front defroster that the dual mode is switched to the Defroster only until you turn the defroster off. You have to either use the voice commands or select dual mode through the climate control menu using the jog dial. You cannot select dual mode from climate control buttons only. Also, one of the features that is available for the vent selection in the climate control screen, is a higher or lower temp setting for the auto GPS adjustment for sunlight for the driver or passenger when in auto mode.
ddswv:
Are you saying that I can have the dash vents blowing on me and my passenger can have just the floor vents blowing on them? How do I do that???
Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

I am away from my RL at this time. I'll try to provide info this weekend on how. I know we fooled with it by using voice commands. You first need to have the system in dual temp mode and then you can give commands. You have me doubting myself. I can't wait to get home to check it out again.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Instructor

See the article below it lists it being a part of the RL.

GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control system

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/2005-rl-us-pricing-288289/

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...18/140600.html

If you have a owner's manual available, see if you can find how to use the jog dial to do it. I am not near my RL or my owner's manual till this weekend. Sorry I can't provide any more info at this time.

It seems like you have to have the dual mode button activated. Then using the voice activation you can say things like "Passenger Climate control vent" or "Driver's Climate control floor". If you do not list "Driver" or "Passenger" it will change the whole system, such as: "Climate Control Vent" or "Climate Control Floor"
Old 02-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Drifting

ddswv,

Thanks. I think maybe voice command is the way to do it since I've read through the manual and sat in the garage and tried it by using the jog dial. I could only manage to change the temp. Changing the flow distribution changed if for both sides. I'll keep messing with it though,
Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
office monkey

sweet, I will try this on my way home.

Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
office monkey

tried it via voice and it didnt work but will go through the commands and see if it is diff than what I was saying.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

BTW about _true_ dual mode - have anybody seen passenger side temperature sensor? I could not find it and I don't understand how can it control even temperature (if not air flow) separately without two separate temperature sensors.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by konst_ms
BTW about _true_ dual mode - have anybody seen passenger side temperature sensor? I could not find it and I don't understand how can it control even temperature (if not air flow) separately without two separate temperature sensors.
I don't have the RL just the current TL and from what I've seen of any Acura there are only two sensors: one for the sun (solar) and on below the ignition switch (temp).

Unlike Lexus for example that has used as many as 14 sensors. I really don't think Acura's system is all that "smart" save for the GPS function and it causes my fan speed to fluctuate when I drive under a shade of some sort then hit direct sun light.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Well..........I have short-term memory loss. I guess that why you can get many stories from an incident in which many people witness.

I finally got in the RL last night and although I thought that I had dual mode available, even through voice commands, I could find nothing. I didn't get the owner's manual out and check it out. I did try the voice command help on climate control, nothing listed was listed for dual mode. However there was the part for BI-Level that allows you to adjust a higher/lower temp setting. I'm not sure if that directs the air more to vents than floor or not. I'm amazed that the RL was advertised with dual zone/dual mode and it appears that it does not have a dual mode climate control.

So I'm just glad I don't wear a size 16 shoe.....Smaller shoe size easier to insert into mouth. I'm really disappointed to find that the RL doesn't have the dual mode as my former RL. Sorry guys.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought from the AC control you can change the air flow for either driver or passenger

Next to the "person" icon it shows Nothing or can show Driver, Passenger and the respective airflow settings.

I will check on this later tonight and provide pictures...if this is true
Old 02-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ddswv
.......... I'm really disappointed to find that the RL doesn't have the dual mode as my former RL. Sorry guys.
Even the TL has dual mode.. Really made riding with the wife easier.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Pro

Not that this is related, but the TL has bi-xenon headlights too.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
Not that this is related, but the TL has bi-xenon headlights too.
Yeah, I know. Another one of those little features that I miss. It's odd that Acura would decide to build a car a step up from the TL in terms of technology and luxury and leave those things out