Bubbles in glovebox leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toppatop
Mix well you got pics?

This is mine. You cant even touch it without it being like play doh!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Rae Brown (08-15-2019)
Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM
7th Gear

Mix well you got pics?

It is like kids play doh...you touch it and it leaves marks...it looks alot worse now!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:44 PM
7th Gear

Is this good enough for you to see? This was back then...mine is covered in marks now!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Picture of recovered glovebox

Thought I would show a picture of the glove box I recovered (see post 154).
RCooper (09-02-2020)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:13 PM
7th Gear

Where did you have it done at? I desperately need mine done asap.

Originally Posted by Getterdun

Thought I would show a picture of the glove box I recovered (see post 154).
Old 09-28-2018, 08:37 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed the bubbles in my 05 Acura RL in 2016. It didn't bother me as much in the beginning until 2 years later when it morphed into this mess. It melted so much to the point where the it drips into handle and you have to remove the smudge in order to open the glove box. I am hesitant to get a used replacement because the problem will happen again. I am going to see if there any upholstery stores that can fix this.

melted glove box on 05 Acura RL
Old 08-15-2019, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

This is a flaw I’ve had two rl’s a 07 and an 06 both glove boxes did the the same if your is just starting get it covered before it gets bad if that gewgaws stuff gets on your seats it’s impossible to get off anything it touches gets ruined. Unless someone knows something I don’t! I would love any info on how to get it off the seats if someone figured it out. I trued to get Acura to fix the glove box no success for me but I have met people who took the time to keep going back and forth with them who did get their glove box replaced so if you have patience it’s possible they will it is something that will happen at some point in your vehicles life. If you love your car like I do take the time to fix it before it gets real bad it makes for a big problem the worse it gets it never stops being sticky yuk

This is my 06 wish I had pics of my 07 it was tan interior and it was twice as bad
Old 08-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting soft glove box material off of seats

I'd try lighter fluid. Used it recently to remove chewing gum from bed sheet successfully.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
While I see a poster from Connecticut here, a quick scan of this thread shows a lot of victims from southern states with a strong sun. My guess is that Acura used a supplier for this part who didn't mix enough UV inhibitor into the plastic, with the result that sunlight and heat disintegrated the plastic into the sticky goo we're seeing. If that's true, for those of us lucky enough that this hasn't happened to us yet, all we can do is try to shield it from sun – windshield screens, garage keeping where possible, and a constant coat of 303 protectant (which is like sunscreen for plastics).
Old 08-20-2019, 02:17 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
While I see a poster from Connecticut here, a quick scan of this thread shows a lot of victims from southern states with a strong sun. My guess is that Acura used a supplier for this part who didn't mix enough UV inhibitor into the plastic, with the result that sunlight and heat disintegrated the plastic into the sticky goo we're seeing. If that's true, for those of us lucky enough that this hasn't happened to us yet, all we can do is try to shield it from sun – windshield screens, garage keeping where possible, and a constant coat of 303 protectant (which is like sunscreen for plastics).
Yup! I used Aerospace 303 and wipe my dash and glovebox 2 to 3 times a year! Protects it from the sun.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

I searched for related topic but cam out empty handed. oo7spy I know u might have a salution as always (reps). I notice little bubbles or blisters on the glove box. Could this be a result of hot weather messing up the lether or is this a common problem..... All advise and impute are welcome.
I’ve never posted here before, so no idea what I’m doing, but... my glovebox did the same. I noticed it when I got home from a weekend at the lake. I had parked my car in a lot at a marina, and when I got home I noticed the glovebox had melted onto my cooler. I’m pretty sure it’s the heat, but I have no idea how to fix anything on this car!

Old 08-27-2019, 04:21 PM
10th Gear

Based on the number or complaints it seems like someone could make a good business replacing the vinal on these glove boxes.

I would be happy to pay $200. Send the part with the lock, and get it back.... someone with skills could do the repair in probably 3 or fewer hours. And know how to match the vinal/leather.
RCooper (09-02-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Bubbles out of control!

I searched for related topic but cam out empty handed. oo7spy I know u might have a salution as always (reps). I notice little bubbles or blisters on the glove box. Could this be a result of hot weather messing up the lether or is this a common problem..... All advise and impute are welcome.
I'm looking to replace it, it's an 06 RL I never had problems with it in the past. I've Had integra's, The Legend and other are RLs this is by far the worst !!!....the console & the glove box are a disaster & hoping to fix it so I can get more money & sell it
Old 02-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michelle Yeager
I'm looking to replace it, it's an 06 RL I never had problems with it in the past. I've Had integra's, The Legend and other are RLs this is by far the worst !!!....the console & the glove box are a disaster & hoping to fix it so I can get more money & sell it
As you can see from this thread, all-too-common problem. Isn't leather, which is part of the problem. The maker of the part probably didn't put enough UV inhibitors into it, making sunlight break down the plastic. The glovebox door seems to be the only part on the car afflicted by this specific problem. Unfortunately you can't find this part from Acura anymore, which reduces you to junkyard diving (poor odds - it's a low-selling car, and this part is picked over) or reupholstery (see your local shop about what they can do; one owner on this thread did a nice job). If you do get an undamaged one, I suggest frequent treatments with 303 Aerospace Protectant (NOT ArmorAll), which stops UV like a sunscreen.
HEAVY_RL (02-03-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

I too have the same issue. I have been searching for a used glove box door but have not had any luck. I would have to say that it is a manufacturer defect.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine isn't too bad but I plan on reupholstering it

Old 09-02-2020, 08:56 AM
Instructor

I am having the same problem with my 09 RL I am going to see if I can find a local upholsterer to recover it. Doesn’t have to exact match the original if they can at least apply leather instead that matches the seats that would be fine. Glad I found this post since I was puzzled as to how this was happening.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Honestly, I think it's pretty sad that Year 5 cars are having this problem. You'd think Honda would have fixed the defect by then, since it's obviously caused by materials that were not up to spec (or an outrageously lax spec) for UV resistance. Sorry you're experiencing it.
RCooper (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Honestly, I think it's pretty sad that Year 5 cars are having this problem. You'd think Honda would have fixed the defect by then, since it's obviously caused by materials that were not up to spec (or an outrageously lax spec) for UV resistance. Sorry you're experiencing it.

It should be recalled. Years ago I was part of a Acura focus group for my first generation 04 RL. At that time Acura was interested in having product and customer service similar to Lexus. However their failure to address this seemingly widespread problem tells me that they are still missing the mark.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RCooper
It should be recalled. Years ago I was part of a Acura focus group for my first generation 04 RL. At that time Acura was interested in having product and customer service similar to Lexus. However their failure to address this seemingly widespread problem tells me that they are still missing the mark.
Part of what it takes to have product and customer service similar to Lexus is money. It took a big financial commitment to create the Lexus dealer service and parts network, and an ongoing commitment to engineering and QC to make the cars as trouble-free as Lexus vehicles generally are. Honda, whatever it says, has shown by its actions that it places a lower priority on the Acura division, as evidenced by its refusal to create dedicated platforms for most of its vehicles. It's just an upsell branding strategy, and it's why the vehicles as a group aren't as special. (Yes, before somebody calls this out, Lexus has lots of badge-engineered vehicles too. But not ALL of them.)

Most recently, the problem rates on today's new Acuras are getting much worse, not better. The Germans are even worse—the only one with good initial quality, Audi, is still a car you wouldn't want to own once it starts to wear out and needs fixing—but Honda has not shown it really cares about Acura. Would anybody be surprised if Honda folded the division 3 years from now? If not for the continued success the MDX, I wouldn't.
RCooper (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Part of what it takes to have product and customer service similar to Lexus is money. It took a big financial commitment to create the Lexus dealer service and parts network, and an ongoing commitment to engineering and QC to make the cars as trouble-free as Lexus vehicles generally are. Honda, whatever it says, has shown by its actions that it places a lower priority on the Acura division, as evidenced by its refusal to create dedicated platforms for most of its vehicles. It's just an upsell branding strategy, and it's why the vehicles as a group aren't as special. (Yes, before somebody calls this out, Lexus has lots of badge-engineered vehicles too. But not ALL of them.)

Most recently, the problem rates on today's new Acuras are getting much worse, not better. The Germans are even worse—the only one with good initial quality, Audi, is still a car you wouldn't want to own once it starts to wear out and needs fixing—but Honda has not shown it really cares about Acura. Would anybody be surprised if Honda folded the division 3 years from now? If not for the continued success the MDX, I wouldn't.
I agree with you on all points...
Old 09-02-2020, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It's too sad Honda doesn't care about Acura. I think the main problem is that they don't listen or think what customers want. They create and try to sell what they think is right not the customers. When Lexus was about to start, toyota sent a team to US for research about what the customers want and what they think a "luxury car" is and they pretty much nailed it and created an image which still separates them from their toyota counterparts. Other thing is people wanted a V8 atleast in NSX, i bet even today if they drop a v8 in nsx it would sell like hotcakes.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have this issue with my 05 RL. There should have been a recall on this flaw in production.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:01 AM
5th Gear

Bubbles pictures

Why is it so difficult to post pics ???? Simple copy and paste would of been perfect!

Old 06-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Yeccch!

Thanks to our miserable weather over here, I have only a few small blisters starting under the air vent.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
I've always used a sun shade since I've purchased the RL and the glove box has held up well. A few years ago it developed some bubbling under the passenger side air vent. The bad spot has grown a bit since then, but nothing too serious.

Then last summer my girlfriend somehow pressed something into the glove box on our way from the beach, which really messed it up. I think those are toe prints, but she won't admit it.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Count your blessings, dude — your RL took you and your girlfriend out to a day at the beach.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

Smile Glove box blistering

I had the same problem on my 2005 Acura rl. I just toke the glovebox out took it apart . Out some fake leather from malmart. Made the surface of the glovebox smooth, cut a piece larger then the glovebox. Got some spray Glue from Homedepot. Work from center out and pull to get it as flat as you can. Pulling the Cover to the back of the glovebox. The only place you will have trouble is where the lock on the glovebox is. Because the cover will not stretch to sink in to the lock cutout is.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yiry
I had the same problem on my 2005 Acura rl. I just toke the glovebox out took it apart . Out some fake leather from malmart. Made the surface of the glovebox smooth, cut a piece larger then the glovebox. Got some spray Glue from Homedepot. Work from center out and pull to get it as flat as you can. Pulling the Cover to the back of the glovebox. The only place you will have trouble is where the lock on the glovebox is. Because the cover will not stretch to sink in to the lock cutout is.
I've been wanting to reupholster my glovebox and would love to see a pic of your DIY fix.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
I've always used a sun shade since I've purchased the RL and the glove box has held up well. A few years ago it developed some bubbling under the passenger side air vent. The bad spot has grown a bit since then, but nothing too serious.

Then last summer my girlfriend somehow pressed something into the glove box on our way from the beach, which really messed it up. I think those are toe prints, but she won't admit it.

A similar thing happened to mine but it was two nicks from a tennis racquet. It was hot and I was able to reshape it back close to original.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

Bubbles on glovebox leather

Old 06-20-2021, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

I post pictures of my glovebox. Hope this help.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:39 PM
Advanced

I post pictures of my glovebox. Hope this help.
Thanks for posting the pictures. Did you spray adhesive on the edges to try to smooth it out?
Old 06-30-2021, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

I used spray adhesive and pulled the sides hard and used the back cover to hold it in place.worked ok for me. Just the cover dont Stretch is the glove box lock Area you have to used two pieces to cover it.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:06 PM
Advanced

This isn't my car but someone used fabric instead of vinyl or leather. Interesting.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm about to do this project now too. My glove doesn't look that bad (TO ME), but everyone that rides in the passenger seat asks what happened to my glove like as if I got a bruised face.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:23 AM
Cruisin'

Off to a rough start. my local upholstery shop wants $350-450 for the reupholstery.

I might have to make this a weekend project.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Cruisin'

This isn't perfect, but beats beating the local upholstery company $300. Good job
Old 10-24-2021, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just want to add that my SC 2005 is doing the same thing. Happy to see that it can be re-covered though. Debating trading the car toward a new ford maverick instead of bothering with fixing all the cosmetic issues it has. Replaced the engine with one from a 60K mile rl a couple years ago and have put less than 5K on it since, thanks to working from home due to COVID.