Brake fluid change--is this a new thing? How big a deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake fluid change--is this a new thing? How big a deal?

Gents--

2008 just about to click to 40k miles and the dealer recommends brake fluid change (at $125). Says that air bubbles get into the brake fluid, which can then cause damage/ rust. Same advisory for my Benz...recommended to change brake fluid every 2 years.

Is this a new thing for cars? I never remember having ever changed brake fluid back it the 80s or 90s unless there was a problem.

Dealer also suggests changing transaxle fluid at $190.

Just wondering if other folks follow the letter on the recommendations or if these are "nice to haves" as opposed to "need to haves"

Thoughts most welcome!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Exposure to air quickly contaminates Brake fluid. The oxygen in air oxidizes it and lowers the boiling point. Brake fluid also has an affinity for moisture, and water vapor in the air can combine with the fluid, lowering its boiling point and in cold weather forming ice crystals, making it harder to stop.

also, as pointed out by your dealer can cause rust in the lines.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
fluids in a car - oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc... are all "wear and tear" items.. they do not last forever, they degrade over time.

the dealers probably love to do these services, as they are not that hard for them, and they make easy money on them - but you should try to stick to the factory recommended intervals - Honda/Acura isn't telling you to change them just to make $$.. it actually is a good idea to swap them out when recommended.

everyone knows they're supposed to change oil... but the other fluids shoudl be changed out as well. if you plan to keep this car a while -= take care of it and it will take care of you!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Brake fluid is typically changed every three years on most cars, you can go longer. A sign your brake fluid might need changing is if they feel spongy or the fluid looks brownish in color instead of yellow. You can go anywhere for it as bleeding/flushing the brakes is very simple, easier than changing the oil if you have the right tool, which is basically a motive power bleeder. Our cars use Dot-3 fluid, which is pretty cheap and can be had at any autoparts store. No reason for the dealer to do this and it's probably half the price at most private garages, but also very easy to DIY.

The power bleeder is $50 if you want to do it yourself, just make sure you get the cap rated for Honda.

As for the transaxle fluid, which I assume means differential, the MID will tell you when to do it so wait for the code.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you feel that your brakes are mushy or not as responsive during the initial grab, a brake bleed would take care of that. On top of that, as rlerman said, if the fluid is not golden, but more brown, I would change it.
For me, I use the 2 people method, one person pumping the brakes and the other person loosens the brake bleeder valve.

I would just stay with the Honda fluid if you're still on factory fill. That's just my opinion. However, I do use other fluids and it works just as fine. Dot 4 Synthetic would do wonders on this car.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Zach...not sure where you live, (but if you have several Acura/Honda dealers close by) I'd call around to see how much everyone charges. Most times, someone is having a "special" and when confronted with this information, you're local dealer will usually price match. I did this when needing the rear diff fluid flushed and replaced...saved me $200 (as my local shop was gouging me).
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
[QUOTE=hondaxacura;13580053]If you feel that your brakes are mushy or not as responsive during the initial grab, a brake bleed would take care of that. On top of that, as rlerman said, if the fluid is not golden, but more brown, I would change it.
For me, I use the 2 people method, one person pumping the brakes and the other person loosens the brake bleeder valve.

I would just stay with the Honda fluid if you're still on factory fill. That's just my opinion. However, I do use other fluids and it works just as fine. Dot 4 Synthetic would do wonders on this car.[/QUOT

I've always read that you should stay with the brake fluid that the system was designed to use. DOT 4 may be compatible, but it also may include some chemicals that are not. Plus, DOT 4 has a shorter service self as it is apt to degrade more rapidly (the ironic thing is that what makes it possibly better, also makes it more susceptible to degradation). And... not all DOT 3 brake fluids are created equal. Some have higher wet and dry boiling points than DOT 4 fluid, and that is really the only advantage of DOT 4. Moral of the story: I'd suggest staying with what came in the car.

Last edited by Simba91102; 02-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (02-26-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Virtually every manufacturer requires a periodic brake flush and refil with approved fluid to maintain the warranty. Some manufacturers say 3 years for the original fil and every two years thereafter, some just say every 2 years.

Brake fluid (like others have said) attracts moisture and failing to do a brake flush on schedule will lead the dealer to deny warranty service on a brake issue down the road. It may also lead to a very expensive fix in the future.

What does your owner's manual say about brake fluid flushes? I'll bet it is in the maintenance booklet.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just performed a brake fluid flush with the assistance of a mityvac 6835. That's the mityvac that runs off a compressor with the auto refill device. Let me say the machine works very well. My brake fluid on my 01 CL was brown and discolorer and the pedal was a little soft. It also creeped at red lights so I knew it was time for a chance of the brake fluid. So I did a complete fluid flush. My pedal is hard and tight now. I would recommend the mityvac 6835 to anyone. I also did a fluid flush of my power steering fluid as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
That is a great tool
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, brake fluid flush out/refill is a normal service.

Think its in the manual.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

I think that I saved myself anywhere between $60-$160 just performing this maintenance myself rather than taking my car to a maintenance shop or the Acura dealership. Additionally I lubed all my brake parts inspected the brake pads and rotors and put rust inhibitor on the underbody parts. One last thing I think is a good investment and also another reason I flushed the brake fluid was because I had an item called DIP STRIPS. These strips are like litmus paper. The strips analyze the amount of copper in the fluid and give you a visual indication of whether the fluid is good bad or needs to be flushed some time in the future. The more copper in the fluid the dirtier the fluid is. Phoenix systems makes the strips and I would recommend them as well. If anyone needs a fluid flush or would like their fluid analyzed in the NY/NJ/Conn area. I can analyze your fluid and do a brake flush. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by milkman
I think that I saved myself anywhere between $60-$160 just performing this maintenance myself rather than taking my car to a maintenance shop or the Acura dealership. Additionally I lubed all my brake parts inspected the brake pads and rotors and put rust inhibitor on the underbody parts. One last thing I think is a good investment and also another reason I flushed the brake fluid was because I had an item called DIP STRIPS. These strips are like litmus paper. The strips analyze the amount of copper in the fluid and give you a visual indication of whether the fluid is good bad or needs to be flushed some time in the future. The more copper in the fluid the dirtier the fluid is. Phoenix systems makes the strips and I would recommend them as well. If anyone needs a fluid flush or would like their fluid analyzed in the NY/NJ/Conn area. I can analyze your fluid and do a brake flush. PM me if you have any questions.
Can we order the strips online and how much are they?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

A small two test strip kit is about $10 online and a $100 pack is anywhere between $50-70. It's call strip dip. I can sell a 100 pack for $45 if your interested because your an acurazine member.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

Or I can sell 3 strips for $10
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do they have an expiration date?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Thats a great offer, just keep in mind there are rules to selling in an open forum.

No I don't think there is an expiration date as long as the paper is in good condition.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Cruisin'

You are correct. There is no expiration date.