Best value for 05-08 winter floor mats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Best value for 05-08 winter floor mats?

WeatherTech? Acura brand?

Anybody know of any good deals?

I don't want to keep re-killing my pretty carpeted ones. Last winter was so mild in the Midwest that I got away with 'em. Not every year will be that merciful.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I got the beige Acura all season floor mats and they are somewhat disappointing. The rubber get's scuffed up with black marks from the shoes. I would do with the black color if given another chance.

The only reason I would get the weathertech is for the driver side floormat because the mat also covers the rest pedal.

From the looks pov, I like the Acura because it's branded with RL, but for price, I would go with weathertech.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I would recommend going with acura b/c i have ones from weathertech. Their product does not come with pre-installed holes for hooks so they continue to slide. i had to drill holes myself to get this resolved. Paid $100 for all four. not sure how much acura charges for theirs.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Get the Acura ones. Normally I'd say the WeatherTech ones are better but not on the RL. They don't make their premium custom fit mats that go up the sides for our cars. All they make are basically generic ones that offer little better protection than the same ones you get at AutoZone.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good thread!

I never changed the cheap rubber floor mats from when i bought the car used. So my brother recently detailed my car and forced me to throw the cheap floor mats out and implored that i buy the Acura ones.

So I was looking around, on ebay a set of 4 original all season acura rl mats can be had for around $120.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Get the Acura ones. Normally I'd say the WeatherTech ones are better but not on the RL. They don't make their premium custom fit mats that go up the sides for our cars. All they make are basically generic ones that offer little better protection than the same ones you get at AutoZone.
I didn't want the ones that went up the side. Smacks of an SUV interior, or a horse trough.

In the end, I went the route suggested by tisucka.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

I've revived this thread to share something of a surprise ending: Acura's own OEM winter mats aren't as good as WeatherTech's.

I bought the front-only set of WeatherTech's mats off their website at the regular price. You'll recall my Acura mats had the lengthwise grooves that let my right heel slide annoying away from the pedals all the time as if my shoe were greased. By contrast, the WeatherTech mats (not the dish-shaped ones they advertise most, just the normal mats) put a series of little rectangular depressions under your foot so you don't slide. The rubber seems better, too: less slippery, just a bit tacky in a good way, which also helps.

I was surprised, negatively, that the "OEM" Acura mats weren't a perfect fit, with improper hole spacings for our cars' locating pegs. Given that WeatherTech makes a big deal out of their computer-aided custom sizing for every model, I was surprised again to find that their driver's-side mat doesn't perfectly fit the RL either. It has no precut holes at all, and the dummy locations that appear to be designed for you to cut your own holes are in the wrong places. One is too far back toward the edge of the mat, and the other one is just entirely wrong in a spot six inches from where it needs to be.

Fortunately, this was easily remedied: I just put the mat where it belonged, pushed the very pliable rubber down over the pegs until it stretched as thin as a balloon, then nicked it with scissors to create a hole that the peg squirted right through. Problem solved, although it doesn't put any reinforcement around the holes -- I'll see in the years to come whether the holes start to fatigue and rip.

The passenger's mat is even somewhat more imperfectly shaped than the driver's. In addition to the same problem with the holes, it's also visibly just a slightly wrong width to match the coutours of the floor edge in a couple of places. But it was close enough to be no real problem, and on the passenger's side I simply didn't punch any holes or use the pegs at all. Reasons: The passenger's side has no pedals to worry about, I tend to have short passengers (allowing the lumps in the mat over the pegs to stay hidden under the seat), and the mat seems to stay in place well anyway.

I'm thinking that the imperfect fit of these mats has to do with the anemic sales of our car. WeatherTech has a code number for these mats, and it showed up on Amazon as being the same code number as a set of mats also being sold for a Mercedes-Benz model. I think they simply didn't see a sales case for making the 17 of us a custom set of mats.

One other note: I bought the front pair only. WeatherTech specifically warns on its website that the rear mats recommended for the RL have to be trimmed to size, another clear indication that they didn't bother to customize for us.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Drifting

My OEM winter floor maps fit perfectly.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah I have the black acura all weather floor mats, they fit absolutely perfectly so I'm not sure maybe it is your car as it seems you had problems with both of them lol. The black ones also clean up great, I just pull them out, spray them off with the hose, then wipe them down with some ArmorAll, and bam they look brand new. With all the large groves on those weather tech ones good luck getting them to look brand new ha. The weather tech ones just look straight up ugly to me that is why I didn't go that route. If they would have had the digital fit ones I might have rethought my options, but still that big ugly weather tech logo is a turn off, looks like they took their ego and put it right on the mat.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
My OEM mats fit perfectly too, but find their ability to hold water disappointing in harsh weather like snow.
Also the rubber is soft and shows wear from my heal.

I bought my mom weathertech mats for her CRV and they are great, hers do have holes for the tabs to hold the drivers mat in place.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
My OEM rubber mats also fit perfectly, but I wish I'd bought the light-colored ones. I figured the light ones would mark up a little, but the black ones are very dark and "rubber looking", ha ha. Either way, they fit spot-on perfect.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the tan WeatherTech mats 3 years ago for my RL. I am very happy with the fit and how well they are doing their job. They never move out of place, they trap water/snow well and are pretty easy to clean/wash with the garden hose. After all this time, and close to 60k miles of driving, they show very little wear.

I also bought a set for our 2007 Sienna and they were perfect fit. My wife loves them.
I just received another set for the GX470, and on that one, the passenger side is NOT an ideal fit. It will do the job, but somehow one of the inner corners does not belong there. I may give them a call to see what the solution is.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd be curious to know if they will replace it.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
I'd be curious to know if they will replace it.
I bet they will, or else give you a partial refund. WeatherTech prides themselves on their customer service.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
You should take your shoes off before entering the car.
The following users liked this post:
DJ 57 (03-18-2016)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I bet they will, or else give you a partial refund. WeatherTech prides themselves on their customer service.
I completely understand what they "say", I'm just curious what they will do.

Either way, it wouldnt stop me from buying them.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt W
Yeah I have the black acura all weather floor mats, they fit absolutely perfectly so I'm not sure maybe it is your car as it seems you had problems with both of them lol. The black ones also clean up great, I just pull them out, spray them off with the hose, then wipe them down with some ArmorAll, and bam they look brand new. With all the large groves on those weather tech ones good luck getting them to look brand new ha. The weather tech ones just look straight up ugly to me that is why I didn't go that route. If they would have had the digital fit ones I might have rethought my options, but still that big ugly weather tech logo is a turn off, looks like they took their ego and put it right on the mat.
I'm happy for those of you whose OEM mats fit perfectly. As far as I'm concerned, I always expect that's part of the value you get in exchange for an OEM item's higher price. But mine had holes spaced too far apart for the floor pegs — on both the driver AND passenger's sides — resulting in mats that puckered up in the middle at their rearmost edge.

My main problem with the mats was that they were so slick, my throttle foot was sliding all over the floor. Evidently WeatherTech uses a different material. It is worth noting that WeatherTech specifically warns against using ArmorAll or its equivalent because it will degrade that material. Regardless, I don't know why you'd want to slicken the mats anyway.

BTW, my WeatherTech mats have no visible logos or brand identification at all. I think that's reserved for the dish-shaped "floor liners," which I didn't get.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
My OEM mats aren't slick at all -- although I never leave them wet with silicone or "Armor All" type products. That's a recipe for disaster. For that, I do silicone them at a time when I can leave them out of the car for a while (such as the end of season) and then wipe them down before replacing them into the RL. Leaving a rubber mat wet with an oily product is nuts.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Tony, I wonder if you got a set for a different car.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the OEM rubber mats and love them. I also had OEM rubber mats in my 02 TL-S which weathered (no pun intended) well. When I traded the TL-S, the mats were still in decent shape, and the mats were around 7 years old with about 165,000 miles of wear and tear.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Tony, I wonder if you got a set for a different car.
Well, the OEM mats had a giant "RL" on them. :.)

The WeatherTech mats, I don't know, but they do have a flap for the driver's dead pedal that's perfectly sized to our RL's. The driver's side mat is perfectly sized overall except for the pegs. The passenger side is a bit worse: It also lacks provision for the pegs, and the width on the outboard edge is a bit of a mismatch just above and below the bend where the footwell meets the floor.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

haha... well that settles it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump for Input

I'm bumping this thread to read more input from other members on WeatherTech and the OEM all season floor mats. I have a grey interior and although I bought a clear mat from Wally World, the fitment is horrible. Melting snow and debris from my shoes and boots have leaked from the cheap floor mat onto the carpeted area. I'm even more meticulous about the floor area since I have that light grey interior and want little to no stains. Seems like WeatherTech does not sell the "Floorliners" for our vehicle but just the floormats.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-05-08-Ac...-/400409793604

I would go OEM all day if I can. It's gonna cost me $180+ to cover my Tundra.
The following users liked this post:
MrG4Life (02-23-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Instructor

It appears that the OEM mats come only in black and tan. I have the light grey interior and would really like the mats to match. I'm torn because WeatherTech has mats in light grey. Grrrr!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I have the factory mats in my RL but would definitely go with weather tech if I had to do it over.
The following 2 users liked this post by HEAVY_RL:
MrG4Life (02-23-2014), oo7spy (02-19-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the input fellas I've decided to go with WeatherTech. The WeatherTech name and grey color choice made me choose them over OEM.