Another 2005 RL with door handle issue - car won't start even with good battery.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another 2005 RL with door handle issue - car won't start even with good battery.

This might be a long story, but it could help some lesser skilled mechanics (like me).

I entered my garage on Saturday morning and smelled something burning. I had no idea what it was, but opened the garage door and took my other vehicle to run some errands.

I returned about 2 hours later to wash both my vehicles. When I opened the door of my 2005 RL, I noticed there were no lights and no sounds. I was unable to even turn the keyless ignition switch. I immediately thought dead battery and put a charger on it. Just for giggles I put a meter across the terminals and noticed I had 13 volts on the battery. Ruh roh!

Using the power of the internet I did some searching and found matching scenarios pointing to the door handle. WTF! The fancy door handle shorts out now the car is a 5000 lb paperweight. Great!

I checked all the fuses under the hood and they were good. I then checked the small interior panel next to the emergency brake and found fuse #7 (10 amp) had blown. I replaced the fuse and for 1 brief second I could hear the bells ringing and interior lights came on. The fuse then blew again and I was in the dark.

Back to AcuraZine. Found the tip to disconnect the door sensor and all will be OK. Then I had to search on how to remove the door panel. Panic mode set in. Found some basic instructions.

Another AcuraZine poster mentioned using his key to manually start the vehicle. I was confused. I bought the car CPO six years ago. I had NO IDEA you could start the car with the key. I knew there was a key in the remote and I knew I could use that key to open the driver's door. I was amazed when I found the hole under the keyless ignition switch and that the key fit inside. I was then shocked to see the keyless ignition switch POP OFF! I thought I broke something. I then saw the key hole on the steering column and was blown away again. The car started right up and everything appeared to work EXCEPT the keyless entry and power doorlocks. Shame on my car salesman for never showing me this cool feature! I never knew we could start the car that way.

Anyway, back to removing the door panel. I removed the 3 screws holding the door panel on and then GENTLY removed the door panel trying to avoid breaking any clips. Sadly for me, I was able to remove the door panel, but was unable to get the pigtails disconnected near the side mirror nor was I able to figure out how to "unhook" the black cable in the middle of the door. So the panel was off, but still connected. By the way, the 3 screws are located 1. Inside plastic panel behind interior door handle. 2. Behind plastic cover on door handle and 3. Behind a small panel above the map pocket.

Anyway, once I loosened the door panel I saw, plain as day, a white connector that plugged into the door and appeared to power the door handle. So I unplugged it and then put a 15 amp fuse in #7 (all my 10s were gone). I know that was a bad idea, but I THOUGHT I disconnected the correct door sensor connector. I was very wrong. Visible smoke was pouring out of my driver's handle. The handle was so hot it would surely burn me if I touched it. I quickly removed the 15amp fuse and went back to the internet.

It turns out, the door sensor connector is INSIDE the door panel connected to the actual door handle. My bad. Since I was balancing the "semi-connected" door panel and trying to wedge my arm into the door panel, it took me 20 mins or so to disconnect the correct door sensor pigtail using one hand. I replaced fuse #7 and now everything works again. Thank goodness and a great big thanks to AcuraZine!!

Replacing the door panel was surprisingly easy. I did my best to reconnect the plastic connectors along the bottom and when I thought it was pretty close I replaced the 3 screws. I am sure it is not perfect, but close enough. The wife did not complain which is the main thing.

I am so psyched that I was able to save $500-$1000 by "fixing" it myself. Plus we don't have to work out the logistics of dropping off the car for service, etc. My wife says she misses the dimple, but since I never used it I am fine. The car is driven by my wife and currently has over 150k miles. At this point, even though the car still looks great, I really want to keep maintenance costs down and enjoy the car as long as we can now that it is paid off.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonBob
The wife did not complain which is the main thing.

I am so psyched that I was able to save $500-$1000 by "fixing" it myself.
Cool stary brah.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Cool story bro.

Edit: Heavy beat me to it.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Bob, I deleted your second thread in favor of the original. If you have an issue with that, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonBob

I entered my garage on Saturday morning and smelled something burning. I had no idea what it was, but opened the garage door and took my other vehicle to run some errands

...you smelt something burning in your garage so you shrug it off and leave your house... presumably to let it burn down...hope you didn't have a family inside, I stopped reading after that
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by komplexZ
...you smelt something burning in your garage so you shrug it off and leave your house... presumably to let it burn down...hope you didn't have a family inside, I stopped reading after that
Thanks for checking in

I am glad you didn't waste your time reading the entire thread, so you could use that time to craft your witty reply.
The following 2 users liked this post by BostonBob:
lucas currin (04-01-2020), oo7spy (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
bahahaha, good burn bob.... reading is fundamental.