70K service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
70K service?

I can't seem to find the info and I apologize for the likely redundant question.
Is there a 70K service requiring a flush/change of tranny fluid or something?
I love this RL, more important, so does my DW who drives it!
Hope to add a RLX Hybrid to the garage soon
Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Here is the breakdown of all the maintenance schedules for the RL. Hope it helps!

http://owners.acura.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2007&model=RL#mid^KB1667KW
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Here is the breakdown of all the maintenance schedules for the RL. Hope it helps!

http://owners.acura.com/service-maintenance/minder?year=2007&model=RL#mid^KB1667KW
Thanks!
I had already reviewed that but, found it confusing that it seems to indicate up to 160K miles for flushes and I thought I'd read here some time ago to have something flushed at roughly 70-80K miles?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
Thanks!
I had already reviewed that but, found it confusing that it seems to indicate up to 160K miles for flushes and I thought I'd read here some time ago to have something flushed at roughly 70-80K miles?

Just to clarify, which fluid are we talking about?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Racer

Just to clarify, which fluid are we talking about?
Uhhh, not exactly sure, thought it was tranny or drive train fluid flush. I have a severe case of CRS, can't remember $hit!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Uhhh, not exactly sure, thought it was tranny or drive train fluid flush. I have a severe case of CRS, can't remember $hit!
Acura says 45k intervals on the transmission fluid. Many here will tell you 3x3 at 45k or just change the fluid once every 15k miles.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Racer

Acura says 45k intervals on the transmission fluid. Many here will tell you 3x3 at 45k or just change the fluid once every 15k miles.
15K on the tranny? What about drive train or differential maybe?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 PM

Front and rear diffs were 30k on non harsh driving conditions and 15k on harsh conditions I believe?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Racer

Front and rear diffs were 30k on non harsh driving conditions and 15k on harsh conditions I believe?
Now I'm getting more confused! None of that is even mentioned on the "maintenance minder"?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM

You have the following fluids to keep track of on the car:

-Engine oil
-transmission fluid
-front differential
-rear differential(2 chambers)
-brake fluid
-engine coolant

Hope that clears that up! The maintenance minder, to me at least, was designed for the original owners who were more that likely " drop it off at the dealer" when the minder comes on... The numbers after the letters also code for something.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Racer

-Engine oil
-transmission fluid
-front differential
-rear differential(2 chambers)
-brake fluid
-engine coolant

Hope that clears that up! The maintenance minder, to me at least, was designed for the original owners who were more that likely " drop it off at the dealer" when the minder comes on... The numbers after the letters also code for something.
The tranny & differentials fluid is the main issue but, the intervals are what I'm unclear on.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM

-Engine oil (interval depends on oil used, however manual states 7500 miles)
-transmission fluid (45k miles per manual)
-front differential (30k miles)
-rear differential(2 chambers) (30k miles)
-brake fluid(don't remember the mileage interval)
-engine coolant (60k for the first change then every 30k thereafter)

I added in miles to my prior post, hope that answers that.
The following users liked this post:
stagefoursurvivor (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 PM
Racer

I added in miles to my prior post, hope that answers that.
45K on the tranny & 3 differentials?
Not sure what 3X3 is for 15K?
Thanks, guess I need to do the tranny & 3 differentials since I can't be sure what was done prior to my purchase at 51K.
I appreciate your valuable guidance
projektvertx (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:20 PM

45K on the tranny & 3 differentials?
Not sure what 3X3 is for 15K?
Thanks, guess I need to do the tranny & 3 differentials since I can't be sure what was done prior to my purchase at 51K.
I appreciate your valuable guidance
45k on the transmission would be the 3x3. In a nutshell, you would drain the fluid out of the transmission, refill it, drive it thru all gears. Repeat the process two more times. The idea behind this is that you're draining a good chunk of fluid out of the transmission that way. The alternative that floats around here would be changing the transmission fluid once every 15k.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Racer

45k on the transmission would be the 3x3. In a nutshell, you would drain the fluid out of the transmission, refill it, drive it thru all gears. Repeat the process two more times. The idea behind this is that you're draining a good chunk of fluid out of the transmission that way. The alternative that floats around here would be changing the transmission fluid once every 15k.
How's 'bout the differentials?
I likely need to have it done by a shop, bad leg prevents climbing around the car these days but, grateful I'm not taking a dirt nap!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 PM

How's 'bout the differentials?
I likely need to have it done by a shop, bad leg prevents climbing around the car these days but, grateful I'm not taking a dirt nap!
I haven't seen any suggested alternatives for the differential since I've been here. I get it, my dad has gotten to the point where he doesn't have the time or the physical capacity to maintain his car on his own anymore. He says the same thing, I'm still alive so it's fine
Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Racer

15K intervals on the differentials? WOW, that seems extreme.
Don't get me wrong, I believe oil/filer every 3-3.5K miles
Old 03-27-2017, 03:07 PM

15K intervals on the differentials? WOW, that seems extreme.
Don't get me wrong, I believe oil/filer every 3-3.5K miles
I thought it was extreme too, but Acura suggests that if you tow with the car or drive in extreme conditions.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Racer

I thought it was extreme too, but Acura suggests that if you tow with the car or drive in extreme conditions.
Other than DWs lead foot, no towing or extreme conditions!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice i see you are a Volvo fan too. I am too.. the only 2 cars i will ever own is a Acura and a Volvo.. i've had 3 acuras and 4 volvos the s60 are amazing
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ish McCormick
Nice i see you are a Volvo fan too. I am too.. the only 2 cars i will ever own is a Acura and a Volvo.. i've had 3 acuras and 4 volvos the s60 are amazing
yeah, bought my first 142E in '72, 14 or 15 since. BUT, they're not the safety leader they once were. A, '08 S60 saved my son any injury in a 40MPH head on with a 2' oak tree.
My almost 12 yo wagon, my baby since new, has to go, 5sp stick doesn't work well with a ghimpy leg. Hope to replace her with a RLX Hybrid soon.
I keep my cars a long time, maintenance & care is the key...no shortcuts.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:16 PM
Racer

Thanks everyone.

Appt Monday for rear flush, oil/filter, WW inserts $135 + tax BUT, tranny flush/change they hesitated on until they check the car.
Can they tell by examining the fluid, will they try to jack the price to add this? What's a reasonable charge? I'm skeptical they'll say I need some super duty fluid for $300 additional!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Racer

Transmission fluid flush vs drain

Having spent the last few days scouring the net, I have no clear direction on which should be done tomorrow, simply drain & add more Honda fluid or flush the system 3X3... and perhaps change out the filter?
Everything I've found conflicts, "don't do the flush, not recommended", "if you do a drain & top-off, you simply contaminate the new fluid with residual in the old"...These comments are 99% from Honda owners/techs but, presumably apply to my RL.
It's scheduled at a Honda dealer and I want to be prepared, also a reasonable price to pay depending on the method. Yeah, if I could physically do it, I would, just out of the question right now.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:25 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were doing it yourself I'd tell you to drain and refill 3quarts every oil change.. but since your getting it done at the dealer I don't see how you even have a choice? The dealer doesn't normally do out of normal procedures like a 3x3 drain/refill.. not sure why you're even asking here considering the people doing the work are already telling you their recommendations..
Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by carlos jauregui
If you were doing it yourself I'd tell you to drain and refill 3quarts every oil change.. but since your getting it done at the dealer I don't see how you even have a choice? The dealer doesn't normally do out of normal procedures like a 3x3 drain/refill.. not sure why you're even asking here considering the people doing the work are already telling you their recommendations..
Uh no, this dealer hasn't suggested either method yet. I was told to speak with the service advisor on arrival when I scheduled the appt.
My inquiry is to determine which is the best to request on arrival.
I'm sure you INTENDED to be helpful
Old 04-02-2017, 11:36 PM
5th Gear

Sure man, good luck on telling them what's best.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Having spent the last few days scouring the net, I have no clear direction on which should be done tomorrow, simply drain & add more Honda fluid or flush the system 3X3... and perhaps change out the filter?
Everything I've found conflicts, "don't do the flush, not recommended", "if you do a drain & top-off, you simply contaminate the new fluid with residual in the old"...These comments are 99% from Honda owners/techs but, presumably apply to my RL.
It's scheduled at a Honda dealer and I want to be prepared, also a reasonable price to pay depending on the method. Yeah, if I could physically do it, I would, just out of the question right now.
Their statement is correct and thats the reason for the 3x3. The expectation is by the 3rd effort you will have exchanged all the old fluid with new fluid. If its a Honda dealer I would question IF they actually used the term "flush" as I dont think thats what their machine does due to how fragile the transmissions are. As to price I will let someone else comment on that I dont have any experience there.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
Their statement is correct and thats the reason for the 3x3. The expectation is by the 3rd effort you will have exchanged all the old fluid with new fluid. If its a Honda dealer I would question IF they actually used the term "flush" as I dont think thats what their machine does due to how fragile the transmissions are. As to price I will let someone else comment on that I dont have any experience there.
I appreciate your reply!
Since I don't KNOW what's been done in the past and WHICH alternative may be offered, or none, when I walk up to the desk, I'll need to make an on-the-spot decision.
I'd expect to pay substantially more for 3X3 and that's acceptable if that's the best long term decision. It's the value of the car & reliability, the $$ is secondary
Old 04-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Appt Monday for rear flush, oil/filter, WW inserts $135 + tax BUT, tranny flush/change they hesitated on until they check the car.
Can they tell by examining the fluid, will they try to jack the price to add this? What's a reasonable charge? I'm skeptical they'll say I need some super duty fluid for $300 additional!
FWIW...I always run when I hear the term "flush" on any fluids. Maybe its old skewl but Ive always been concerned about it causing more harm than good. More techie folks here can dispel that myth for you but it wont for me.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Advanced

stagefoursurvivor,

The drain/flush and exchange service on transmissions is a service provided by my local Acura dealer in Honolulu. They drain 3 quarts, refill/replace, then run the transmission thru the gears before repeating the process 3 times. Locally, this service costs $217.

Being a mechanically minded guy, I decided to do the job myself. Well, let me say, I may have made a mistake for several reasons.

First, finding the right drain plug is a challenge. When I removed the drain plug that the parts guy had told about, no oil came out. This plug is located on the driver's side of the transmission case next to the half shaft.

Second, since there are several drain plugs on the lower surfaces of the transmission case. I selected one and removed the plug. By the time I realized this was gear lube draining rather than transmission fluid approximately one pint had drained out. Now I need to get to the dealer for some gear lube.

Third, still haven't found an appropriate drain source after an hour of searching, so may decide to toss in the towel, replace the gear lube, and let the dealer do the job.

Good luck!

Second, the drain plug
Old 04-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 57 Handyman
stagefoursurvivor,

The drain/flush and exchange service on transmissions is a service provided by my local Acura dealer in Honolulu. They drain 3 quarts, refill/replace, then run the transmission thru the gears before repeating the process 3 times. Locally, this service costs $217.

Being a mechanically minded guy, I decided to do the job myself. Well, let me say, I may have made a mistake for several reasons.

First, finding the right drain plug is a challenge. When I removed the drain plug that the parts guy had told about, no oil came out. This plug is located on the driver's side of the transmission case next to the half shaft.

Second, since there are several drain plugs on the lower surfaces of the transmission case. I selected one and removed the plug. By the time I realized this was gear lube draining rather than transmission fluid approximately one pint had drained out. Now I need to get to the dealer for some gear lube.

Third, still haven't found an appropriate drain source after an hour of searching, so may decide to toss in the towel, replace the gear lube, and let the dealer do the job.

Good luck!

Second, the drain plug
LOL, you sound almost as bad as me. Tore a wrist tendon changing oil, bent cylinder rods(?) changing thermostat!

Today went well, offered me straight drain of tranny or flush but, immediately stated using a conditioner with flush...NOPE! just drain & replace.
Rear differential change, lube, oil, filter, wiper inserts $211+ tax
I'm a happy camper and on top of DWs wheels!
projektvertx (04-04-2017)