2011 Acura RL Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It's OK, the 2G RL has served its purpose and from the minimal attention Acura is giving it, a new model is clearly on the horizon. I can't wait to see it!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
4 grand for CMBS, ACC and folding mirrors? Seems kinda steep, how bought some magnetic shocks like in the MDX and ZDX. Knowing that a FMC is a year away, I don't think I will get rid of my 06. I don't think there is enough here to generate any real significant sales increase, I will be impressed if they sell 5k units, especially without any advertising. Just thinking about the retooling for the bumpers,wheels etc, they must lose a fortune on each one.
They only imported 3000 RL's to the US in 2010, probably be less this year because these upgrades on the 2011's won't entice anyone.
It's a good, solid car but, forget increased sales.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Nik J. Miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpadBZzs7l8
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Very nice. I wish I could afford one. In the meantime my 3rd gen TL is doing just fine for now.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Very nice. I wish I could afford one. In the meantime my 3rd gen TL is doing just fine for now.

Exactly my sentiment.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice PR video. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
wow, "this is a low volume car and we are refreshing it", that's not the nicest thing to say about your flagship.

Otherwise...looks exactly like my car inside. Stealth fighter!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Truly Acura needs to sneak peak the FMC 2012. If there is no info on what the redesign will look like, and what features will be added, I think I need to pull the trigger on a M37X.

Infiniti at least had the Essence show car out a year before the M redesign, while it is not identical it at least gave a solid direction what the M was going to look like.
I would really like to stay with Acura, but they just have not done enough to wet my appetite for a new RL
Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Details of the new Honda Legend have been out for a while:
http://www.honda.co.jp/LEGEND/

Isn't this the 2012 Acura RL?

Two indications: Paul
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I was really trying to want the 2011 because my 05 is showing its age (125K miles). A few small items like at least the newer HDD Nav and I probably would pull the trigger.
However, now I'm going to at least wait to see the 2012.
I've got 2 broken fog lights, an HID about to fail, cloudy headlight covers and lots of rock chips on the front. Thinking about getting a quote to repaint bumper and hood, replace all the lights to make me feel better for the next year. Can do all that for less than the sales tax on a new car.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the new 2011 RL looks goofier than the old one, I would rather go with an 09 and 10 and pimp it out like 037, he really knew how to make that car look good, I dunno if much can be done to improve the look of the 11 model, but if anyone can do it it would be 037, but by then he will probably be pimping a Genesis v8.
Getakey I would just fix those little problems and keep it unless you think you can get a reasonable amount for your car, the redesign should be an upgrade rather than an update.

I don't know if I checked all the specs but I'm feeling like slowly the rl is becoming the low end car, where is our push button starter that the TL had for a while?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Safety Car

ellover009, I'm definitely not going to be upgrading to 2011 as the only feature on it that I want is the 6 speed tranny. Not worth losing all the mods I already got on my car for that.

Thanks for all the kind words too
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Post The OC

For a flagship car, the Acura RL doesn’t seem to get a lot of recognition among consumers, who bypass the luxury sedan for rivals like the BMW 5 Series, the Mercedes-Benz E Class, or even its own little brother, the Acura TL.

That’s a shame, because the RL can more than hold its own among luxury sedans in the $50,000 range with its sure-footed road manner and library-quiet ride. After a week of test-driving the 2011 RL, I came away with a new appreciation for Acura’s top model. I imagine that if more drivers and buyers spent time in the car, they’d put it high on their consideration list.

Believe it or not, the Acura RL has been around since 1996, when it replaced the Legend sedan. The car entered its 2nd generation with a significant revamp in 2005, and in 2009 it got a new 300-horsepower V-6 engine that grew to 3.7 liters.

Among the improvements for 2011, the RL finally gets a 6-speed automatic transmission, something long overdue when others are going forward with 7 and even 8 gears. Generally, more gears equals better gas mileage and acceleration.

In this case, the extra gear gives the revised RL official mpg ratings of 17 city, 24 highway, the latter being 2 mpg better than the previous version. In mixed driving, I averaged 21.7 mpg.

Befitting a luxury sedan, Acura’s folks worked to make the 2011 RL even quieter than its predecessors and say they have reduced the interior decibel rating by 1.3 db, equaling a 15% improvement.

They achieved that by using technology-laden noise-reducing wheels with a special resonator and additional insulation.

I don’t understand all the methodology, but I can tell you that the new RL is one of the quietest cars I’ve driven. The only disagreeable noise that cropped up in my time, in fact, was an intermittent rattle from somewhere in the back seat. I was bummed this came about, especially since the car only had about 200 miles on the odometer when I took possession.

The RL’s ride is equally comforting, and the car’s suspension soaks up bumps better than most. When rolling over certain speed bumps, I regularly grimace. In the RL, those obstructions felt magically insulated.

The RL offers a decent amount of power with its peace. The RL is not billed as a sports car, but it is easy to get up to speed when pushed. The car’s 300 horsepower is more than adequate for the job, and the 6-speed automatic transmission is expectedly smooth. For those moments when you desire more spirited performance, the RL offers a sport mode that extracts the most from the motor. If you want more control, you can manually tick up and down the gears via thin paddles connected to the steering wheel.

An additional characteristic I relished in the RL was another whose task was performed behind the scenes but whose effect could not be denied: Acura’s excellent “super handling all-wheel-drive” system.

All RLs come standard with all-wheel drive, and Acura’s torque-vectoring system is one of the best out there. The result is a car that sticks to the road like glue and gives its driver an immense amount of confidence.

While driving the RL in the recent rainstorm that dumped several inches of water in a matter of days, the RL was completely unscathed. Amid the pounding rain and water-soaked roads, the RL felt completely immune to the worst that Mother Nature could throw at it, at least here in Southern California.

The RL’s system similarly maintains excellent control on dry roads. No matter the weather or road conditions, I always felt confident and in control of this car, which in turn helped it feel a lot smaller than its 195.7-inch length would suggest.

To my eye, the RL’s exterior features clean, contemporary lines, but is a bit bland.

Thankfully, Acura’s designers have tamed the RL’s snout, a front-end Acura design element that has been called controversial at best, ugly at worst.

Inside, however, the senses awaken as you’re awash in fine leather and wood that feel as if they belong in a car that costs tens of thousands more. I loved the solid, hefty feel of the steering wheel, whose top and bottom featured smooth, solid wood and whose sides were clad in textured leather. It consistently reminded me that I was indeed piloting one fine ship.

Accommodations are equally sublime for passengers, with plenty of room in back.

Back up front, I appreciated the horizontal layout of buttons on the console of the RL. In this car, I didn’t face nearly the amount of sensory-overload that I have in other Acuras, such as the ZDX and even the TSX.

It all added up to a car I not only felt safe and confident in, but 1 that was as easy to drive as it was enjoyable. Yet faced with stiff – and worthy – competition from luxury rivals, will potential buyers give the RL a chance to show them its worth?

And its not just rivals that give the RL a run for its money. Other factors affecting the RL’s market share are its own awareness among consumers and the very model below it, the Acura TL.

The TL, after all, offers much of what the RL does, but with a starting price $12,000 below the RL’s base price of around $48,000.

That said, the RL felt markedly quieter and softer than the last all-wheel-drive Acura TL I tested, and by its nature feels more serious and serene.

If that fits your own nature, the RL deserves a spot on your test-drive list.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Arrow AutoSpies

In the world of midsize luxury sedans, there is one car that is constantly overlooked. The Acura RL just hasn't been a volume player. Perhaps the 2011 RL will change that with the car's upgrades but if you judge the RL's sales performance over the past 2 years, we wouldn't count on it.

For 2010, Acura sold just 2,037 RLs while in 2009 the brand only moved 6 more off of dealership lots. In comparison, Lexus sold more than 7,000 GS' in 2010.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
turning into

a old mans olds. i hope the 2012 is not as bland. i will keep my 05 aspec for now.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

those are some ugly wheels
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
they need to bring out a aspec package for this car.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ichi d
they need to bring out a aspec package for this car.
Nahh I dont think so... The wheels don't matter. People buy wheels.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree, but I think the ASPEC should be integrated. Make the flagship sportier and more aggressive from the outset. The car is turning into an Avalon.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

plz don't compare to Avalon, that thing has no handling and is like a boat. RL is no boat.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
OMG, you have a hot rod Avalon. The point being, focused on luxury over sport. Of course the RL is way more car than the Avalon, but the illustration is about how Toyota's focus away from any sport or power has emasculated their flagship.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

What great reviews. If people spent more butt time in RLs they would sell better.

I am still hoping the 2012 MY brings a new model. It is time, after all.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Racer

It's sad that Acura gives no inclination to what their flagship redesign will look like or what innovative performance features it will have. All major manufacturers tend to showcase the future at the Cobo show. The hybrid Porsche, the Rapide, the 2012 A6, A7 etc are, and were all featured more than a year before they went into production. Acura certainly does not value the RL, they fail to create any enthusiasm or mystique around the future model.
If the 2011 has been "refreshed" I doubt a 2012 will be revealed until next years's autoshow, and then won't go on sale until the middle of 2012. The 2011 are just now showing up at dealers, maybe 1 or 2 max, certainly not 10 or 15 in stock. I can't see a 2012 being available in 9 months like most traditional roll outs.
It truly is sad, the RL has morphed so far away from what Acura stood for, given that a total redesign takes 2 or 3 years, I doubt it will be anything better than the current TL styling theme.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I drove by a trailer that had some new Acuras on it yesterday. The RL looks pretty nice in person, but it does seem to be smaller. It seems like it lacks the classy look of other $50k cars...

The car that also caught my eye on the trailer was the TSX wagon. I am not a wagon fan, but I think they should gain some new customers with that one. It looked pretty nice and still fits the Acura lineup.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kssod
It's sad that Acura gives no inclination to what their flagship redesign will look like or what innovative performance features it will have. All major manufacturers tend to showcase the future at the Cobo show. The hybrid Porsche, the Rapide, the 2012 A6, A7 etc are, and were all featured more than a year before they went into production. Acura certainly does not value the RL, they fail to create any enthusiasm or mystique around the future model.
If the 2011 has been "refreshed" I doubt a 2012 will be revealed until next years's autoshow, and then won't go on sale until the middle of 2012. The 2011 are just now showing up at dealers, maybe 1 or 2 max, certainly not 10 or 15 in stock. I can't see a 2012 being available in 9 months like most traditional roll outs.
It truly is sad, the RL has morphed so far away from what Acura stood for, given that a total redesign takes 2 or 3 years, I doubt it will be anything better than the current TL styling theme.
Im gonna take a bet you wont see a new RL in 2012. Why you ask. Well the 1st gen did this same thing. Acura did slight updates every 2yrs of that model from 1996 to 04 then BAM!!! the new model was upon us with no preview of what it looks like. This was 8yr cycle. I bet you dont see new model until late 2012 as 2013 model. That's my .02.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tnobori1
The car that also caught my eye on the trailer was the TSX wagon. I am not a wagon fan, but I think they should gain some new customers with that one. It looked pretty nice and still fits the Acura lineup.
If I were going to purchase a new Acura, the TSX wagon would probably be it. I'd buy a blue one, tint it and put some decent wheels on, then enjoy the 30+ mpg.

As far as the RL, Acura has to create SOME buzz around it, otherwise it won't sell. Maybe not GM-type hype (hype beginning two years ahead of time, suppressing purchases of current product), but you know...what other automakers do, presenting NOW for the 2012 MY.

But then, Acura has always marched to its own beat.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Safety Car

Post About

2011 Acura RL Test Drive
2.5 out of 5 *s

The Bottom Line
Detractors say Acura's big sedan, the RL, is more of a glorified Honda Accord than a proper luxury-brand flagship, but the truth is that the RL is actually a pretty good car -- all the more so with the improvements Acura has made for 2011. But is the Acura good enough to choose it over the competition? Well... better read on.
Pros

* Powerful and enjoyable to drive
* Lots of standard equipment
* Roomy, well-appointed interior

Cons

* Looks and feels frumpy and outdated
* Confusing, button-happy secondary controls
* Small trunk

Description

* Acura's largest sedan, refreshed and improved for 2011
* Price range (including options): $48,060 - $56,010 ($56,010 as tested)
* Powertrain: 3.7 liter V6, 300 hp, 6-speed automatic, all-wheel-drive
* EPA fuel economy estimates: 17 MPG city/24 MPG highway
* Observed fuel economy: 21.8 MPG
* Best rivals: Infiniti M37, BMW 5-series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Guide Review - 2011 Acura RL test drive

I've always liked the Acura RL. Though often derided for not having a V8 engine as befits a proper luxury flagship, the fact is that the RL is still a really nice car. It's quick, its engine that makes great racy noises, it rides comfortably, and it knows its way around a curvy road.

Acura has made a round of improvements for 2011, and while the new front-end styling bears all the hallmarks of cheap plastic surgery, the interior updates genuinely improve the ambiance and the 6-speed automatic (which replaces last year's 5-speed) boosts both acceleration and fuel economy. There's even a new noise-attenuating wheel design that cuts down on road noise. The Acura RL was a great car in 2010, and it's even better for 2011.

Which is why it pains me -- it genuinely pains me -- to tell you that you'd have to be crazy to buy one.

Here's why: Pricing for the Acura RL starts at $48,060 -- more than the BMW 528i ($45,425), more than the Infiniti M37 ($47,375) and not much less than the Mercedes-Benz E350 ($50,275). Granted, the RL gives you a lot more equipment at that price, most notably all-wheel-drive, dual-zone climate control, a Bose stereo and genuine leather upholstery. Actually, the RL's value-for-money equation is quite good, especially if you add on the Technology and Advance packages, which add navigation with real-time traffic and weather, dynamic cruise control, headlights that steer with the wheels, and a host of other equipment, all of which ups the price to $56,010. You'll pay way more for a German car with similar equipment, although the all-wheel-drive Infiniti M37x comes worryingly close at $56,425.

Regardless, compared to its rivals, the RL feels frumpy and out of date. Sure, it drives well and comes with a lot of equipment -- but the same can be said of the Hyundai Genesis Sedan. (Which, by the way, is another car I'd buy over the RL.) Much as I like the RL -- and I do genuinely like it -- I think if I bought 1, I'd kick myself every time an Infiniti M37 or a BMW 5-series drove buy.

The 2011 RL shows that Acura knows how a luxury sedan should feel, sound and drive. But an outdated car is still an outdated car. The RL is the perfect step up for someone who has owned nothing but Honda Accords for the past 25 years, but for everyone else, the RL probably won't cut the mustard. Acura's parent company, Honda, typically works on a 6-year product cycle, which means we should see an all-new RL in 2014. I'd suggest you wait. -- Aaron Gold
Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
What great reviews. If people spent more butt time in RLs they would sell better.

I am still hoping the 2012 MY brings a new model. It is time, after all.
I agree 100%. "Butt time" would definately help sales jump cuz the pics do the car no justice. the car is SUPER HOT in person. its juss hard to see it in person cuz they are so rare in the streets. but seriously, sit in one and u will feel like a millionaire.

if anything, i think the new gen RL will be bigger and in the 60,000$ range.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Those wheels gotta go!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Grill and wheels are terrible! Why would I want to buy this $50000+ car and then have to upgrade the grill and wheels immediately, cause it would make me blind!

BMW has seen the light and are becoming more conservative with the 5 series, I don't know why Acura engineers think the front is a better look.

What's wrong with a grill like this -

Last edited by 9000revs; 02-28-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

it doesn't jump out and say Acura....
Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I seen a 2011 bmw 550i today on the road and it had the same type of style rims as this 2011 RL.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Anyone try and put that 2.5G shift knob in the 05-08 RL with the 2.5G wood console?

EDIT: Nevermind, I noticed the shift gate is different. Too much work to change all of that out.

Last edited by EL19; 03-01-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:42 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tnobori1
I drove by a trailer that had some new Acuras on it yesterday. The RL looks pretty nice in person, but it does seem to be smaller. It seems like it lacks the classy look of other $50k cars...

I think the RL looks more sporty than classy. I Think Honda/Acura caters to the sporty crowd, while Toyota/Lexus caters to the classy side.

the 2.5 RL's looks less classy and more sporty to diminish the notion that RL's are an "old person's" car. Acura wanted to make the car appealing for all age groups, and it does cuz I want one :-) it doesnt stand out in the streets like other luxury cars, which is why i like to say that the RL is all about "stealth wealth"

and thats a good thing cuz flashy cars are what get ur car keyed, dinged, scratched, and vandalize. lots of jealous ppl out there, esp. during these hard times, when money is low for a lot of ppl.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Safety Car

I don't know about not standing out, people stare at my car pretty often and I don't mean the Toyota drivers. last week it was the BMW drivers, 3 of them.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

Post Edmunds

What Edmunds Says
The 2011 Acura RL is a capable luxury sedan, but some newer competitors are more appealing overall.

Pros
All-wheel drive; wealth of standard features; high-class interior; excellent build quality; superb stereo; smart technology interface.

Cons
Same size as the less expensive TL; subpar braking distances; no V8 engine offered; aging design.
What's New for 2011

The 2011 Acura RL gains a 6-speed automatic transmission for slightly improved fuel economy and acceleration. Other changes this year include a minor exterior styling freshening, added sound insulation for a quieter ride, available rear parking sensors and a more useful viewing angle for the optional back-up camera.

Introduction

On paper, the 2011 Acura RL seems like a pretty desirable midsize luxury sedan. It has a 300-horsepower V6, standard all-wheel drive, a long list of standard features, a classy interior and top-notch build quality. But when it comes to real-world desirability, something gets lost in translation for this Acura flagship.

Styling might have something to do with the RL's lack of appeal. Overall, the exterior is looking a bit dated, while many of its rivals have fresher and more contemporary lines. On the whole, this car is aging and needs a fresh face. For 2011 the RL receives a few touch-ups here and there, and at least the odd-looking front grille has been tamed down a little.

Acura has also replaced the RL's previous 5-speed automatic with a new 6-speed unit. Fuel economy is up as a result (2 mpg more on the highway) and acceleration should also be a bit quicker. Handling also remains a praiseworthy RL attribute, thanks to the car's advanced Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system, which can apportion torque to individual wheels to improve both traction and handling balance.

Even with these changes, the 2011 RL still struggles to be anything more than a bench player in the segment of luxury sedans. The Hyundai Genesis is fully competitive in terms of luxury, yet significantly undercuts the RL on price. Meanwhile, more traditional (and newer) choices like the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Infiniti M37 and Mercedes E-Class are either sportier or more prestigious. Even Acura's TL is much the same size as the RL, has a similar drivetrain and yet is more than $10,000 cheaper. With so many other cars to choose from, it's really not too surprising that the RL gets lost in the mix.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

The 2011 Acura RL is a midsize luxury sedan that is available in 3 trim levels (though the 2 upper trims are really just a pair of technology packages).

Standard equipment on the RL includes 18-inch alloy wheels, automatic xenon headlights, a sunroof, keyless ignition/entry, heated 10-way power front seats with driver memory functions, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, leather upholstery, dual-zone automatic climate control, rear-seat climate controls, an auto-dimming mirror, a power rear sunshade and manual rear side sunshades.

Also standard are Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, voice commands for the audio and climate systems and a 10-speaker Bose surround-sound audio system with a 6-CD changer, satellite radio, an auxiliary audio jack and a USB/iPod audio interface.

The RL with Technology package adds adaptive headlights, a back-up camera, rear parking sensors, heated and ventilated front seats, a wood-grain steering wheel and shift knob, upgraded Bluetooth phone connectivity, GPS-linked solar-sensing climate control and a navigation system with real-time traffic, real-time weather, Zagat restaurant ratings and voice activation. The RL with the Advance package adds adaptive cruise control and the Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), along with power-folding side mirrors.

Powertrains and Performance

Every 2010 Acura RL comes with Acura's "Super-Handling" all-wheel-drive system that automatically apportions power to the optimum wheels for the best traction and handling, reacting to road conditions to deliver a superior all-weather automobile.

Powering the 2011 Acura RL is a 3.7-liter V6 that produces 300 hp and 271 pound-feet of torque. A new 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift paddles is standard. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 17 mpg city/24 mpg highway and 20 mpg combined.

Safety

Standard safety features for the Acura RL include antilock disc brakes with brake assist, front-seat side airbags, full-length side curtain airbags, active front head restraints and a stability-control system. The optional CMBS can help prevent or minimize a frontal accident by providing warnings to the driver or actually applying emergency braking if a collision seems unavoidable.

The RL has not been rated using the government's new, more strenuous 2011 crash-testing procedures. Its 2010 ratings (which aren't comparable to 2011 tests) resulted in top 5-star ratings for frontal-impact and side-impact safety. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety awarded the RL its highest rating of "Good" in its frontal-offset and side-collision tests. It only scored the 2nd-worst rating of "Marginal," however, in roof-strength tests.

In Edmunds brake testing, the RL delivered a lackluster 131-foot stop from 60 mph. Most competitors record results that are 10 feet shorter.

Interior Design and Special Features

The 2011 Acura RL features an attractive and well-built interior that is comparable to most other luxury sedans. The wood trim -- simulated or authentic depending on the model trim level -- frames the waterfall-style center stack, adding warmth to the overall interior design.

There are quite a few buttons and knobs in the cockpit, but the voice-activated system and controls on the steering wheel deliver easier operation. We found the standard 10-speaker Bose audio system particularly notable for its clarity and power. On the downside, the navigation system's graphics seem outdated when compared to competing luxury sedans. The trunk space also leaves a bit to be desired, accommodating a slightly below-average 13.1 cubic feet.

Driving Impressions

The 2011 Acura RL's rather conservative appearance might lead some to assume that the ride quality and driving dynamics may be more akin to an overly softened luxury car. But they'd be wrong. The ride quality is balanced between luxurious compliance and sporty agility. Thanks to the SH-AWD system, the RL is one of the more fun-to-drive choices in the segment. The RL's V6 engine revs smoothly and provides slightly quicker acceleration this year thanks to the new 6-speed transmission.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If the RL has to compete with the likes of Lexus and Infinitis, I think it needs to be more classy than sporty. The TL can be sporty, but I think Honda missed the boat by trying to make/look the RL sporty. That is one reason I like the classic subdued look of my 02 and the (non-beaked) next gen.

Originally Posted by wall e
I think the RL looks more sporty than classy. I Think Honda/Acura caters to the sporty crowd, while Toyota/Lexus caters to the classy side.

the 2.5 RL's looks less classy and more sporty to diminish the notion that RL's are an "old person's" car. Acura wanted to make the car appealing for all age groups, and it does cuz I want one :-) it doesnt stand out in the streets like other luxury cars, which is why i like to say that the RL is all about "stealth wealth"

and thats a good thing cuz flashy cars are what get ur car keyed, dinged, scratched, and vandalize. lots of jealous ppl out there, esp. during these hard times, when money is low for a lot of ppl.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
man those led taillights are SICKKKKK
Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Racer

Looked at the RL at the Cleveland autoshow,also looked at the M and E and A6. The RL is looking very dated compared to the others. The interior was noticeably lacking compared to the M. Certainly nothing to make me. Want an 11 when I have an 06. If anything the 11 is much less sporting than mine exterior wise. Why won't Acura come out with a real update: 350-400 hp, with rwd biased shawd, and an adjustable magnetic suspension with an updated cool exterior style.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
I was at the auto show the first day and I also looked at the RL again. Awaiting the hoped for 2012 new RL (if it happens) before making a decision about what to do.

Quick Reply: 2011 Acura RL Reviews