SIRI Eyes Free... it will be mine....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:57 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
SIRI Eyes Free... it will be mine....

So i check the other Siri eyes free thread basically daily since we grabbed our 2014... wednesday i see the update from the HondaNews page

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...ura&id=7489-en

So immediately I call one dealership... no clue about it...
So i call a SECOND dealership ... also.. no clue about it BUT i have an appt at the 2nd one wednesday 12.4.13 to get the factory auto start installed so i get the manager of parts on & the manager of service. I show them the press release and they are all amazed....
All i want is them to add it to my appt AND give me the price (if any) for the service...

So they tell me they'll call me back.... it's now Friday (no call back yet)

I proceed to Tweet to Acura Client Care about how the dealers all suck that NOBODY knows about this yet , i get contacted by a nice rep that said if no response is gotten by monday the 2nd he'll call the dealer personally.

SO i'm hoping that on 12.4.13 i can post up the update for everyone AND the pricing if any.

Hope you guys don't have the shitshow which is service just to get these answers!

Wish me luck
-Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by Type X:
BlackDogRDX (11-29-2013), ESteid (12-17-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the update. It's been a ridiculously long process to essentially get Honda to link a button on the steering wheel to the Siri button. When you get a price, let us know. I'd definitely do it for $100 but any more than that is excessive.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had the same experience. Now waiting for the service manager to call me back with info. I had to send him a link to the press release. They kept wanting me to talk with a Sales guy on how to use Handsfree.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:18 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Does this mean we'll be able to enter destinations in a single "string" like we do with SIRI? (I.E, street address and city and state all at once instead of separately?)

That would be SUCH a huge help!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:44 PM
AcurAdmirer

To answer my own question, I guess it does work like I described, since it is using the phone for navigation. I'm waiting for the voice recognition in cars to operate like my iPhone's VR, so I can use the car's nav system, but enter addresses as easily (and normally) as I do with my phone.

The phone's nav system will work for lots of things, but when you don't have a good cell signal, etc., it won't.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM
OG

Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
Thanks for the update. It's been a ridiculously long process to essentially get Honda to link a button on the steering wheel to the Siri button. When you get a price, let us know. I'd definitely do it for $100 but any more than that is excessive.
Ok here is the update...

Nobody ever called me...
So i DM'd the Acura client service twitter and spoke to a super nice rep on Wednesday night before thanksgiving who said if noone contacted me he would reach out to the dealer on Monday (yesterday) which he did.
He told me yesterday that someone from the dealership would contact me by noon today.

They JUST called and confirmed i'll be updated in the morning AND i asked for a price... rep said ummm put me on hold and then came back saying its Free. Now i don't know if its free because they were contacted by ACURA or whatever BUT i'll post pix and video tomorrow if you guys want.

ALSO i'd like you to keep in mind that the press release on acura says its ONLY for 2013 RDX (no +) after the 13 BUT i have a 14 and they're doing it so once i'm completed and on the road i'll let you guys know if i have any issues!

-Mike
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Mike thx for the detailed update & plz. do post your feedback here after your dealer visit.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Just called around here too and one dealership said there will be a charge but it will be available in a week or two, while the other one said it will be a quick, free update but not available until mid-January. One of them also said the only info they've gotten is from the press release too, so in a way it's hard to fault the dealerships' lack of information since it doesn't seem like Honda is going out of their way to inform their own dealerships as to what's happening.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer told me it is free, BUT I need to come in during the morning during the week, but their techs in the evenings and on Saturday don't have the skills to do the update.

Sounds strange to me???
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 PM
OG

Originally Posted by Jbaum
My dealer told me it is free, BUT I need to come in during the morning during the week, but their techs in the evenings and on Saturday don't have the skills to do the update.

Sounds strange to me???
Since dealers bread & butter days are weekends
Most wont do recall, accessory or updates on a sat.
Locally dealers arent even open sundays!
If you bitch enough ( or complain to acura corp) they'll do it
Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM
OG

Ok ... today i went to Acura at 7:30 for my Siri eyes free and my auto start install... everything was super smooth.
Rep took my keys, got me a loaner with Navi as requested and she noted that the Siri cost would be $0.00...

Fast forward to about 1pm, i get a call from the dealer saying that the Autostart is completed BUT they couldn't do the Siri since the dealer didn't get the connector tool that is used to upgrade the navi

So i'm #1 on the list when it arrives to get it put in, very upset BUT when i got there they knocked off like $90 off the autostart

The story continues.....
Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had it done free at my Dealer. nothing special at all. just lets you use the voice control button for siri. the navigation functions are all handled by the phone and not the on board navi and you still have to unlock the phone for a lot of things. my car was the first at this dealer. they had to upgrade all their equipment to do the install.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 AM
4th Gear

also just wanted to add. most service dept won't know about it. you have to contact parts. hope that helps you guys
Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

Good info. Did you check to see if hooking it up via USB gives any extra functionality?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
A guy on the Accord forums was able to self-install. I'm going to get the 1 day membership on my next day off and see if the Acura download is there as well.

Success! I was able to self install it using the 1 Day HDS membership from the Honda site.

A few tips:
- If you are going to do this start early. It took me almost 3 hours to download and install the software then flash it to my car. and you only get a 24 hour pass then you have to pay again
- Make sure you are using XP, Vista, or Win 7 . I tried Win 8.1 and it didn't work
- I used Bootcamp and my Macbooc Air's Bluetooth adapter so I would imagine any bluetooth adapter would work
- I had to pair my phone to my car again after the update ( this nearly gave me a heart atack when it didn't pair
- I did not connect my battery to a charger and it was fine
- Print out the PDF and read the instructions closely. I had to re-flash a second time because of this
- I was on firmware version 1, there was about 17 updates and the flashing took about 30 minutes
- Make sure you have at least 10GB free on your hard drive. This installs other applications that you don't need. The files are massive and you need at least 6GB free if not more

The honda site with the download is here:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

I obviously don't guarantee this for anyone else, but it worked like a charm for me.

I will stick around here for a few more days if anyone has any questions. Part of the reason I was comfortable doing this is I work in high level IT and was comfortable with the software and the firmware update process.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Scheffy
Good info. Did you check to see if hooking it up via USB gives any extra functionality?
will have to play with it tomorrow morning as i drive to work. will update. my receipt says "free because customer purchased vehicle here" so i think ideally your original dealer would be the place to look to try to get a free upgrade. i mean it's nothing special, but if it's free, why not?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
From what I gather this is currently only available for USA models.

If you ask your dealer for the Siri Eyes Free software
update and they are like WTF you can educate them.

Refer them to:
Accessory Installation Instructions
Publications No. BII 50045

If they want to charge you for it and one of the problems in Service Bulletin 12-034 or 13-030 applies to you request that it is included under the warranty since the only difference in the required procedure for Updating Programmable HFL (HFT) Control Units (See Service Bulletin 12-032) is for the technician including Siri in the Options during the update. It costs the dealer nothing more and only takes the technician a few extra seconds.

If you are thinking of doing it yourself read through the Accord thread for some enlightenment:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=149970

If you are ready to do it yourself buy a 1-day HDS Membership from Honda eStore for $10. (Click on Subscribe under ServiceExpress, then click HDS Standard Diagnostic Software after): https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

Current versions of the Acura documents I referenced are attached PDF's. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B12-032.pdf (506.9 KB, 934 views)
B12-034.pdf (72.0 KB, 549 views)
B13-030.pdf (43.0 KB, 595 views)
BII50045.pdf (441.5 KB, 848 views)
The following 6 users liked this post by GRDX:
brownerd (08-21-2014), gbrucken (06-18-2014), m00g3 (03-19-2014), mikejmack (12-08-2013), radreck (01-27-2014), Scheffy (12-09-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I chose to do this myself - paid the $10. The procedure is pretty straight forward and well documented in pdf instruction manual.

For me the big scare happened while i was sitting in my car and updating. The nav screen told me the update had failed and it started throwing errors up on the diagnostic screen. I was figuring out how to reset the system without turning off the car, when i noticed that my laptop showed that it was still updating and the progress bar was still moving. I just waited patiently and it finished, without any additional drama. Tested it out, and it works as expected.
The following users liked this post:
Stump (12-11-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

anybody have a video or review of the acura siri eyes free in action? About to pull the trigger on a 2014 rdx and wondering if its worth it to make them throw in the update just in case its not free.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Put your foot down and make sure they do it before you accept delivery. It's a nothing job for them while they're prepping the car.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM
OG

Called the dealer since i never heard back from them and the guy that was supposed to call me QUIT.

So i spoke to the manager & saturday FINALLY
Siri, 2nd fob for autostart and installing running boards will be done

Worst experience with service/parts depts EVER.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 AM
2013 RDX

After you do the upgrade and you activate SIRI does it prevent your iPhone screen from lighting up?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

Darn, my dealer said they didn't have the update available yet. Although they said they had one on a test car and they were having issues. Anyone have it and have feedback?

At least they discounted the purchase price a bit.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:47 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by scturborr
Darn, my dealer said they didn't have the update available yet. Although they said they had one on a test car and they were having issues. Anyone have it and have feedback?

At least they discounted the purchase price a bit.

Price? I think it's supposed to be free.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
In to see if it worked.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:11 AM
OG

Originally Posted by usdmJON
In to see if it worked.
Went saturday at 8am... didn't leave till 1pm and still no siri lol
Manager said their computers were locked from bluetooth so
BUT they waived the install of my running boards & my 2nd keyfob for our factory autostart , so i saved about $200.

I was patient and nice, nasty customers came in all day while i sat there.
Manager said he'll call me this week but i doubt i'll be going back until january, working all week & going away for xmas.

But the cost for the upgrade should be $0 if your dealer is charging you , call others.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up a new RDX yesterday and, at least for me, Siri was installed at no charge. It (she?) rocks. Press the talk button to talk to the car, press-and-hold to roll over to Siri.

I've never been a big Siri user but one day in the car may convert me. I told her to check my email and she read back the From & Subject of the last 3 emails and asked if I wanted to hear any of them in full - the best thing since hands-free dialing...

Am really impressed with everything about the RDX, except for maybe the mushy steering, and the Siri thing was just an unexpected and very nice add-on...

If you have the right vehicle, you want this...
Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is Siri only for the Tech package?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Muscles
Is Siri only for the Tech package?
No, if you read my post from ten days ago in this thread you would not be asking that question. See the Accessory Installation Instructions Publications No. BII 50045 in that post.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jim251
I picked up a new RDX yesterday and, at least for me, Siri was installed at no charge. It (she?) rocks. Press the talk button to talk to the car, press-and-hold to roll over to Siri.

I've never been a big Siri user but one day in the car may convert me. I told her to check my email and she read back the From & Subject of the last 3 emails and asked if I wanted to hear any of them in full - the best thing since hands-free dialing...

Am really impressed with everything about the RDX, except for maybe the mushy steering, and the Siri thing was just an unexpected and very nice add-on...

If you have the right vehicle, you want this...
Are you using the new navigation app through it? If yes, what's it like?
http://owners.honda.com/hondalink
Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

The Hondalink system is a whole different system than the Siri Eyes Free the RDX gets. Hondalink is Honda's own system that uses certain feedback from a smartphone to get the info it wants to show on screen / read to you.
SEF is kinda the inverse in that it only adds the functionality of using a button on the steering wheel to activate Siri on your phone. At that point it's no different than holding down the button on your phone to do the same thing - all functionality is dictated by the phone. You can do more with Siri as opposed to Hondalink, but it won't show much on screen as it's still basically only channeling Siri audio through your speakers.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:26 PM
6th Gear

Just had my first A1 service done at the dealership and asked them about the siri eyes free but they said its not available yet though they already heard about it.. We got our black 2014 awd tech package 3 months ago and everything seems to be working well with this car..
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

It would be great if the car supported iOS in the Car. Nevertheless, since the car is already out, I doubt Acura will allow backwards-compatibility. Probably on the next generation RDX.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Douflag
It would be great if the car supported iOS in the Car. Nevertheless, since the car is already out, I doubt Acura will allow backwards-compatibility. Probably on the next generation RDX.
This sums up my feelings as well re. iOS & backwards availability, however I am not quite as optimistic as to it's arrival on the next gen. That said, I have no problem w/ eating some crow here, if so will someone pass me some Tabasco or salsa?

Last edited by RDXinNETX; 12-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Racer

I self-updated today on the Honda Accord and our RDX. I feel like I got a little more bang for my $10 bucks :L. I only tested checking the weather and posting to Facebook, neither that I would probably ever do, but both performed well. I imagine as Siri improves, so will this feature on our cars. The update took about 30 minutes on each vehicle. Another 30-45 minutes to download and install the softwares to my Windows 7 Parallels load on a 13" MacBook Pro
Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 PM
AcurAdmirer

So, for those of us who don't have it yet, can you give us a description of the features? I have an iPhone 5 and use Siri a good bit, but I don't understand what it will do for me in the vehicle.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Racer

It just seems to activate siri from the handsfree button on the vehicle. My favorite thing about it was being able to draft and send a text message without taking my hands off the steering wheel. You can request navigation directions but audio prompts from maps will not interrupt the audio device quickly enough, so the first bit is parsed.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by s40 driver
Another 30-45 minutes to download and install the softwares to my Windows 7 Parallels load on a 13" MacBook Pro
Do you need to have a windows computer to do the update? Will it work using just Mac OSX?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 AM
6th Gear

Did my diy last night but i was disconnected during flashing of the siri update, when in tried to reconnect, the navi screen showed a different name and pin code for the connection and it wont show up in the hfl program on my laptop instead the last connection is the one that appeared. Aborted the process a few times by turning off the ignition, luckily nothing happened with the navi as everything is working well. It was already late so ill just try it again tonight before my 24hrs pass expired.. Im using windows 7 through vmware on my mac air so im not sure if theres a compatibility issues..
Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsxinva
Do you need to have a windows computer to do the update? Will it work using just Mac OSX?
I installed their software in the virtual machine's windows environment. I believe it does require windows (I didn't see any mac software). With Parallels, you just need to attach your bluetooth adapter to the Windows environment using the "devices" menu. The bluetooth adapter doesn't install properly but this can be remedied by following the article on the Parallels support site. I'll find the link if you can't find it.

Quick Reply: SIRI Eyes Free... it will be mine....