Headlamp conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:18 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlamp conversion

Hello, has anyone converted from halogen to HID or LED in the stock projector headlamp? I tried to do a google search and a search on the forum but didnt see much. If there a DIY write-up that anyone knows of?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:36 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by NOcasio7
Hello, has anyone converted from halogen to HID or LED in the stock projector headlamp? I tried to do a google search and a search on the forum but didnt see much. If there a DIY write-up that anyone knows of?
I haven't read about anyone doing this conversion. I believe the connectors are different for both models and that needs to be taken into consideration. You may need reprogramming of the SAM unit. I assume you may need to change the front bumpers as well to have exact fit. In short this may not be a plug and play type of job. Someone who has more info can chime in please. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Are you referring to simply dropping in bulbs? or replacing the housing altogether? or a retrofit in which you professionally install a HID projector into the halogen housing?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
if you do not have a projector...it would be pointless to install an hid or led bulb.
as the light will scatter everywhere .
if you do have a projector but it's made for halogen bulbs....installing an HID bulb or LED will be a bit better....but because each bulb has different areas that illuminate(hot spots), the halogen projector will still scatter the light..

then lastly, you can do what thoiboi suggested by building your own projectors and "retrofitting" them into the head light housing
this would be the best option
Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should have clarified being LED lights are offered stock. Currently the RDX has projectors with halogen bulbs, the light output is not as ideal as I would like. I would like to change the bulbs to LED bulb replacements or HID bulb replacements and keep the projector housings. I am hoping to replace the bulbs and get a better light output. I know I will possibly have to drill a hole in the dust cap, just hoping someone has done this already and I can get some input. Thanks all!!
Old 04-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

"LED bulbs being offered stock" doesn't mean anything for your situation. They have their own specific housings and jewel eyes optics that work for LEDs. You throwing in some bulbs to your halogen projector housings won't provide the same output.. It'll be severely lackluster, i can promise you that.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I should have clarified being LED lights are offered stock. Currently the RDX has projectors with halogen bulbs, the light output is not as ideal as I would like. I would like to change the bulbs to LED bulb replacements or HID bulb replacements and keep the projector housings. I am hoping to replace the bulbs and get a better light output. I know I will possibly have to drill a hole in the dust cap, just hoping someone has done this already and I can get some input. Thanks all!!
okay. I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to install the OEM jewel eye LED headlights from Acura which is a bit of a challenge. If you just want to change your halogen headlights, then the safest and most legal way is to simply swap it for an OEM HID headlight (whole unit including the ballasts). The second (and cheaper) option is to retrofit your existing headlight with HID projectors. Yes you have to rip open your headlights.
The cheapest and worst option is to simply buy a compatible LED bulb or HID set up and shove it into your existing halogen projector. This will give you the worst light output and you will be back in the forum soon asking for advise to upgrade. Do it right the first time by going for quality HID projector route (OEM or aftermarket) and it'll save you time, money and frustration. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
okay. I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to install the OEM jewel eye LED headlights from Acura which is a bit of a challenge. If you just want to change your halogen headlights, then the safest and most legal way is to simply swap it for an OEM HID headlight (whole unit including the ballasts). The second (and cheaper) option is to retrofit your existing headlight with HID projectors. Yes you have to rip open your headlights.
The cheapest and worst option is to simply buy a compatible LED bulb or HID set up and shove it into your existing halogen projector. This will give you the worst light output and you will be back in the forum soon asking for advise to upgrade. Do it right the first time by going for quality HID projector route (OEM or aftermarket) and it'll save you time, money and frustration. Good luck.
I strongly urge you not to do the LAST option...
FUCK those people who just put a higher output bulb without upgrading optics...they blind EVERYONE
Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
I strongly urge you not to do the LAST option...
FUCK those people who just put a higher output bulb without upgrading optics...they blind EVERYONE

Please please please..

Although HID's in halogen projectors aren't nearly as bad as in HID reflectors it's still not the proper application.