2017 RDX noise when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 RDX noise when turning wheel

I have a 2017 RDX with about 28,000 miles. Since around 18,000 miles, when I turn the wheel left while going anywhere above about 5mph, I get a clicking/squealing noise. It is very intermittent, as in it’ll do it for 2-3 days at a time and this is currently the 3rd round of it. I brought it to the dealer the first time and they looked at it and said that my brakes probably need to be cleaned for $159.95. I declined as it’s under warranty and I’ve never had to have my brakes cleaned before on any car I’ve owned. On a side note, at 1,500 miles my brakes were replaced under a TSB. Anyone else experience this? Is the brake cleaning legit?
The following users liked this post:
kmtoner (09-26-2019)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I doubt very much that cleaning the brakes would help, but fortunately you can test the theory yourself.

If the clicking is coming from the brakes, the most likely source would be a brake bad rattling because it is loose in the bracket. Simply step on the brake when you hear the noise. That will stop the pad from rattling. If the noise continues the cause is unlikely to be your brakes.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by matman1215
I have a 2017 RDX with about 28,000 miles. Since around 18,000 miles, when I turn the wheel left while going anywhere above about 5mph, I get a clicking/squealing noise. It is very intermittent, as in it’ll do it for 2-3 days at a time and this is currently the 3rd round of it. I brought it to the dealer the first time and they looked at it and said that my brakes probably need to be cleaned for $159.95. I declined as it’s under warranty and I’ve never had to have my brakes cleaned before on any car I’ve owned. On a side note, at 1,500 miles my brakes were replaced under a TSB. Anyone else experience this? Is the brake cleaning legit?
Where is the sound coming from? I had an issue with the steering wheel itself making a terribly annoying sound (http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-025.PDF). This was under a TSB but it took a few visits to get it done for some reason. In any event, there should be no cost to you for anything on a 2017 with a noise such as this. Take it in, get a loaner and tell them to call you when they figure it out....

Last edited by chickdr; 10-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I got the same issue with my 2016 RDX steering wheel which makes as rattling noise while turning to extreme right or left. Took into the acura showroom and the technician described this as something normal...not convinced with that...did the TSB described in the earlier post resolve the issue?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...t-turn-944412/

not sure if this will help but seems familiar
Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had same problem. Car screeched when I made left turn. My mechanic changed sensor clip and problem was resolved. The sensor on left side was loose and had to be changed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alison DiCerbo:
jonjonwin (02-22-2021), kmtoner (10-03-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 06:39 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by matman1215
I brought it to the dealer the first time and they looked at it and said that my brakes probably need to be cleaned for $159.95. I declined as it’s under warranty and I’ve never had to have my brakes cleaned before on any car I’ve owned.?
This car is under four year original warranty. There should be no reason for them to charge you for anything which is beyond reasonable wear and tear. As mentioned before tell them they can do whatever they want and they cannot charge you for anything since it under bumper to bumper warranty. If necessary let them know they can call Acura corporate for an explanation. In so many years of owning cars I’ve never heard of a service called “brake clean up”. Maybe it is something similar to the blinker fluid. It’s laughable that such dealers still exist.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced

I have had the same problem for two months. I have visited the dealer four times to address it. It wasn't until I recorded videos of the squealing that they suggested a solution: adjust or replace the brake "skid pads" on the front left wheel. Sure enough, the sound vanished for about a week. Then it returned intermittently. Now it is back with a vengeance and sometimes happens when I make the slightest turn to the left to avoid a manhole cover or change lanes. Having already left the car with the dealer for almost 10 days, I'm giving up. I'm very soon leasing a 2020 RDX as a replacement. It is very embarrassing to drive in parking lots or garages with this squealing.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had the same problem with my 2018 RDX. When ever making a left turn 20-45 mph I get a squealing sound from the left from wheel. The dealer checked it looking for a pebble or some other debris but found nothing. They just cleaned everything up and gave it back. It started again after a couple days. I took it to an independent brake mechanic who found no problems either, It squealed on his test drive...no charge. He suggested that the brake pads them selves could be causing the issue. The squealing stops when you apply the brakes. He said cheap oem brake pads is the probable cause. At 29k its doing it much less.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:08 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Alison DiCerbo
I had same problem. Car screeched when I made left turn. My mechanic changed sensor clip and problem was resolved. The sensor on left side was loose and had to be changed.
Wondering if you can elaborate at all on what you observed and SPECIFICALLY what was done to correct it?

Just experienced an issue tonight with a brand-new-to-me 2017 RDX AWD Tech where turning to left makes a screeching noise and pressing the brake does not alter or eliminate the noise in any way. When I first observed something out of the ordinary, it sounded like a faint "beeping" noise. Upon opening the window and paying closer attention, it turned out to be more of a pulsing / cycling to the intensity of the screech.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:11 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Originally Posted by meburdick
Wondering if you can elaborate at all on what you observed and SPECIFICALLY what was done to correct it?

Just experienced an issue tonight with a brand-new-to-me 2017 RDX AWD Tech where turning to left makes a screeching noise and pressing the brake does not alter or eliminate the noise in any way. When I first observed something out of the ordinary, it sounded like a faint "beeping" noise. Upon opening the window and paying closer attention, it turned out to be more of a pulsing / cycling to the intensity of the screech.
Update for my vehicle... Took it to the local Acura dealer. Drove it so he could hear the noise and he knew immediately it was an issue with the retaining clip on the left front caliper. Disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled. He stated that it shouldn't happen again, and that he does not expect Acura to ever actually release a fix for this since they are on to a new bodystyle now.
The following users liked this post:
Howard Choi (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear

Update for my vehicle... Took it to the local Acura dealer. Drove it so he could hear the noise and he knew immediately it was an issue with the retaining clip on the left front caliper. Disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled. He stated that it shouldn't happen again, and that he does not expect Acura to ever actually release a fix for this since they are on to a new bodystyle now.
Hello. I was wondering if the dealer charged you for this service or was it covered under warranty? I'm having the same issue and my service adviser told me that it's considered wear and tear and that I would have to pay out of pocket.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 PM
alexmed2002

Received 143 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard Choi
Hello. I was wondering if the dealer charged you for this service or was it covered under warranty? I'm having the same issue and my service adviser told me that it's considered wear and tear and that I would have to pay out of pocket.
When did you get your car, and how much of the warranty do you have left?
Old 11-09-2020, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear

Still under warranty. I'm at 49K miles.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear

Still under warranty @ 49K miles.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:56 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by Howard Choi
Still under warranty. I'm at 49K miles.
Well then the dealer should cover the issue for you under warranty. Is there another Acura dealer near you that you could try? If the other dealer(s) won't cover it, then you would have to call the Acura Headquarters to make a complaint about your issue. Just make sure that you keep pressing the issue on them, and try to make it sound like you are dissapointed. The more they hear that you are not happy, the more likely they will solve your issue for you.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:15 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Well then the dealer should cover the issue for you under warranty. Is there another Acura dealer near you that you could try? If the other dealer(s) won't cover it, then you would have to call the Acura Headquarters to make a complaint about your issue. Just make sure that you keep pressing the issue on them, and try to make it sound like you are dissapointed. The more they hear that you are not happy, the more likely they will solve your issue for you.
It might depend on the situation. In my case, the brakes had been recently "certified" as part of the CPO program. The fact that this cropped up so shortly afterward meant that it was easy to have it covered by Acura. If the vehicle being mentioned with 49k on it has the original brakes, then being seen as wear and tear may well apply. Bumper-to-bumper coverage does not cover wear and tear, or wear and tear related. The issue that I had was related to something that should have been cleaned and lubricated as part of the check to certify the vehicle but clearly wasn't. If it had been, there's no way it would have exhibited the noise within 1000 miles like it did.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:40 PM
alexmed2002

It might depend on the situation. In my case, the brakes had been recently "certified" as part of the CPO program. The fact that this cropped up so shortly afterward meant that it was easy to have it covered by Acura. If the vehicle being mentioned with 49k on it has the original brakes, then being seen as wear and tear may well apply. Bumper-to-bumper coverage does not cover wear and tear, or wear and tear related. The issue that I had was related to something that should have been cleaned and lubricated as part of the check to certify the vehicle but clearly wasn't. If it had been, there's no way it would have exhibited the noise within 1000 miles like it did.
I'm assuming that the issue occurred right after they bought the car, but if that's not the case then what I said earlier probably won't work.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:48 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I'm assuming that the issue occurred right after they bought the car, but if that's not the case then what I said earlier probably won't work.
Even if they just bought it, it still may not be something that Acura will take care of. If it wasn't bought CPO, then the customer is potentially on their own to repair it.

If it turns out to be just needing the cleaning like mine did, I believe it's a flat rate of one hour's labor.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Alison DiCerbo
What sensor did you replace?