2016 Model Year Changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr

I think the updates look good. Looking forward to see this in person. Sad it doesn't have SH-AWD but it is just a MMC after all. Hopefully the FMC will bring it back.
It is not an MMC. Once the ACE structure was changed and the vehicle crash tested, it really becomes a new model.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
This is a MMC, they may milk an extra year before FMC, but I would expect a FMC in 3 years, maybe they bring back SH-AWD. They had to do all this for,MMC to,remain competitive and with the ILX getting major rework, leaving the RDX alone for 2 more years would be risky. This gives the, a good refresh and very competitive offering to get them through to FMC.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:28 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
What is ACE structure? To me the changes look fairly superficial with just some added features (which should have been there since 2013). Interior also is pretty much same with just one extra screen added. Why do should this be called an all new model. MMC sounds reasonable to me (but I am no expert).
Old 02-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
This is a MMC, they may milk an extra year before FMC, but I would expect a FMC in 3 years, maybe they bring back SH-AWD.
Definitely MMC, no changes to sheetmetal or glass.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks like they changed or added grey as an interior colour choice.. tan is dated.. I forgot how hard it is to keep clean, wish I went with black haha

Originally Posted by ceb
It is not an MMC. Once the ACE structure was changed and the vehicle crash tested, it really becomes a new model.
One thing I noticed about the RDX is the "small-overlap" crash test wasn't performed on it yet, but the majority of the other 15' Acura models were tested.. I wonder if they will test the MMC along with the collision mitigation features..

Last edited by AXMACD; 02-12-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Those wheels!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
What is ACE structure? To me the changes look fairly superficial with just some added features (which should have been there since 2013). Interior also is pretty much same with just one extra screen added. Why do should this be called an all new model. MMC sounds reasonable to me (but I am no expert).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Compatibility_Engineering. We can argue for years about what a refresh is and what a new model is - but - in general, when a model NEEDS to be crash tested then it is a new model. New engine, new structure (even if body panels look the same) add up to new model in my book.

In reality,the concept of mid model changes is quickly going away. Especially with Honda, there may be lots of changes every couple of years and there is little rhyme or reason to when a full new bodystyle comes out.

A refresh, by definition, is a series of changes that will entice new buyers but won't leave owners feel like they are driving an old model. A new model is intended to get owners to upgrade.

Here the changes are significant enough to lure existing owners back to the showroom.

Last edited by ceb; 02-12-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Thanks for the insight. I don't feel that a significant portion of current 2G RDX owners will be in line for trade by this "new" model / refresh (May be I expected too much/ drastic changes). For a new owner/ lessee it is definitely a worthwhile addition. I hope the demand for RDX will be solidified with this change. Part of me also feels relieved that I won't be driving an old car .
Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
This RDX is definitely a new model, but also definitely a MMC. Same platform -- when there's a new CR-V, there will be a new RDX. Just how it goes.

Hey, at least it seems Acura's only problem at this point is wheels (and I don't even agree)... I actually like the styling. Aside from anything so subjective, at least the new RDX is more in line with the competition as far as looks. You've got 2 factory wheel options (so it seems) and LED DRLs/LED taillights like most competition, as well as the additional interior color and cooled seats. Hopefully those things will help it stack up to the limitless options of the Germans.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I don't feel that a significant portion of current 2G RDX owners will be in line for trade by this "new" model / refresh (May be I expected too much/ drastic changes). For a new owner/ lessee it is definitely a worthwhile addition. I hope the demand for RDX will be solidified with this change. Part of me also feels relieved that I won't be driving an old car .
Or just get a used 2013, which I plan on doing now that the 2016 is nothing special.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Too many RDX 2016 threads going on, which one to post? I'll pick this one.

I think the overall changes are very positive and will keep the RDX fresh until its FMC. Here are my takes...

- I was hoping it would get the DI V6 engine, but the new Accord V6 with the 3/6 VMC 3 is better than the older V6 VMC 2 it had. A positive change but could have been better.
- Kept the 6AT. The 9AT might have given it better FE but the 6AT is without issues.
- The interior, specifically on the Advance is a little plain but adequate
- The Seat heating and cooling are buttons, not on the touch screen like the TLX. Many will like this, but it does not specifically say if the seats (and A/C and Heater) are linked to the remote start. In otherwords, will the ventilated seats turn on automatically when it is hot like the TLX? I suspect not. That functionality is probably in the computer and buttons are probably not controllable that way.
- No mention of MVH reductions like I was hoping. No mention of injected foam like the TLX. They do mention stiffer strut towers, but that may not lead to a quieter ride.
- Argh, the wheels. Who the heck is designing wheels for Acura lately? Maybe we can chip in and get them an eye exam. Maybe we can start a crowd source project. 'Help get an eye exam for Acura's Wheel Designer' That might get Acura's attention.

I still think it is a good update and I'll want to drive it before I decide on my next car. But I think the TLX Advance might be more to my liking than the RDX Advance. Yes two different cars, but never had a CUV. Might be nice for a change. Easy to get in and out and good storage in the back.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:24 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Overall I'm glad I waited as the '16 model has added enough new features, in my opinion, to compete with its competitors. Still need to see it in person/test drive it but overall I like what I see and its now at the top of my list for the purchase of a new car.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New paint color?

Hey everyone. Longtime lurker here. I just thought I'd share an observation I don't think anyone has made yet: It appears that the RDX will have a metallic blue paint option. Check out this picture:

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/im...-chicago-1.jpg

If you look in the background, it appears (to me) to be an RDX with a metallic blue paint scheme. (Compare the C-pillar and character lines to the RDX in the foreground.) This would go well with the grey interior which has been in many of the press photos.

Also, it's difficult to tell if it's a trick of the lighting or what, but the blue RDX appears to have running boards as well.

Anyone know anyone attending the Chicago Auto Show? Maybe they can confirm?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Originally Posted by ceb
We can argue for years about what a refresh is and what a new model is - but - in general, when a model NEEDS to be crash tested then it is a new model. New engine, new structure (even if body panels look the same) add up to new model in my book.

In reality,the concept of mid model changes is quickly going away. Especially with Honda, there may be lots of changes every couple of years and there is little rhyme or reason to when a full new bodystyle comes out.

A refresh, by definition, is a series of changes that will entice new buyers but won't leave owners feel like they are driving an old model. A new model is intended to get owners to upgrade.

Here the changes are significant enough to lure existing owners back to the showroom.
Well I do see your interpretation and it does have validity. However, I think we are talking about 2 different things that can be related.

My interpretation of a "Mid-Model Change" (MMC) is that it is a mid life cycle change/update to a model. Those changes can be significant but not enough to make it a new generation model.

Can those update(s) make it a "new model". Certainly it can depending on what and how much was updated.

Example: IMO a 2016 MDX with it's new transmission is a "New Model" to me because it has a significant mechanical update when compared to the previous model. But since that was the only significant update it wouldn't really be considered a MMC.

Also... Mid-model Change, Mid-generation Change, Mid-Cycle Change, Automotive Facelift, Automotive Refresh, Life Cycle Impulse, etc.. to me are words that are used loosely to mean all the same thing: A model update within the same generation. And again yes those changes can be considered a "New Model" depending on content

Last edited by CybrRdr; 02-13-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Depends on how you look at it. This version now has the electronic gizmos, LED head and tail lights and adjustable passenger seat that everyone has been clamoring for. The LED lighting is probably enough for your neighbors to realize that you got a new car even if you stick with the same color. For an RDX owner that was basically satisfied with Acura but not happy with the lack of toys, this might the a reason to upgrade.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:25 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Well I do see your interpretation and it does have validity. However, I think we are talking about 2 different things that can be related.

My interpretation of a "Mid-Model Change" (MMC) is that it is a mid life cycle change/update to a model. Those changes can be significant but not enough to make it a new generation model.

Can those update(s) make it a "new model". Certainly it can depending on what and how much was updated.

Example: IMO a 2016 MDX with it's new transmission is a "New Model" to me because it has a significant mechanical update when compared to the previous model. But since that was the only significant update it wouldn't really be considered a MMC.

Also... Mid-model Change, Mid-generation Change, Mid-Cycle Change, Automotive Facelift, Automotive Refresh, Life Cycle Impulse, etc.. to me are words that are used loosely to mean all the same thing: A model update within the same generation. And again yes those changes can be considered a "New Model" depending on content
Honda marketed the 2013 Civic as all new. They made minor tweaks to the suspension, upgraded the interior materials and modified the structure to do better in crash testing. The tiny visual changes are insignificant and the average guy on the street couldn't tell the two cars apart - but Honda was so disappointed with 2012 sales and magazine reviews that they dumped it after one year. Aside from the crash testing I would have called it a refresh, but Honda took great pains to call it a new model.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:57 AM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by ceb
Honda marketed the 2013 Civic as all new. They made minor tweaks to the suspension, upgraded the interior materials and modified the structure to do better in crash testing. The tiny visual changes are insignificant and the average guy on the street couldn't tell the two cars apart - but Honda was so disappointed with 2012 sales and magazine reviews that they dumped it after one year. Aside from the crash testing I would have called it a refresh, but Honda took great pains to call it a new model.
Yeah I remember that. Honda dropped the ball on the "undistinguished" 2012 Civic and rushed a "do-over" to try recoup sales.

It's not uncommon in the auto industry... Chevrolet did the same thing with the new generation 2013 Malibu. Media hated it and loved the rival Ford Fusion. So after only 1 model life cycle, Chevy rushed a "do-over" with the 2014 Malibu. Chevy also referred to it as a "New Model".

In those cases, I think it more marketing and PR spin to try to convenience consumers that it is "New and Improved! Please Buy now!".
Old 02-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Too many RDX 2016 threads going on, which one to post? I'll pick this one.

- The Seat heating and cooling are buttons, not on the touch screen like the TLX. Many will like this, but it does not specifically say if the seats (and A/C and Heater) are linked to the remote start. In otherwords, will the ventilated seats turn on automatically when it is hot like the TLX? I suspect not. That functionality is probably in the computer and buttons are probably not controllable that way.
I think the buttons (at least on advance) are now electronic. It is not a physical button like the old seat heaters that needs to be flipped on or off. Looks like it can just be pressed. Whether this will allow remote start, who knows. I am guessing the non-ventilated seats will be the standard rocker button and will not work with the remote start at all.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the features they offer. I want to have angel eyes headlight, blind spot monitor and rear cross alert. Look like I can just need tech package.
However, do you notice that you have to step up to advanced package to get fog light???? I think fog should be standard or at least included in tech.

Not very excite with interior/exterior, just ok to me. Anybody feels like the interior doesn't look as nice as current model?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Racer

Now when do we see pricing? and when they are on the dealer's lots?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FrostyZoob
Hey everyone. Longtime lurker here. I just thought I'd share an observation I don't think anyone has made yet: It appears that the RDX will have a metallic blue paint option. Check out this picture:

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/im...-chicago-1.jpg

If you look in the background, it appears (to me) to be an RDX with a metallic blue paint scheme. (Compare the C-pillar and character lines to the RDX in the foreground.) This would go well with the grey interior which has been in many of the press photos.

Also, it's difficult to tell if it's a trick of the lighting or what, but the blue RDX appears to have running boards as well.

Anyone know anyone attending the Chicago Auto Show? Maybe they can confirm?
This color?

From leftlanenews.com
The following users liked this post:
FrostyZoob (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
i think it looks much better in a darker color than silver and white.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:57 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by guytdt
I like the features they offer. I want to have angel eyes headlight, blind spot monitor and rear cross alert. Look like I can just need tech package.
However, do you notice that you have to step up to advanced package to get fog light???? I think fog should be standard or at least included in tech.

Not very excite with interior/exterior, just ok to me. Anybody feels like the interior doesn't look as nice as current model?
You'll have to get a BMW then.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by Reimroc
This color?

From leftlanenews.com
If it is the same blue as the 2016 ILX then it's Catalina Blue Pearl. (I could be wrong but looks similar)

Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
ACE. We can argue for years about what a refresh is and what a new model is - but - in general, when a model NEEDS to be crash tested then it is a new model. New engine, new structure (even if body panels look the same) add up to new model in my book.
Not sure I agree with that. Several makers have made structural changes to address upcoming crash test or poor results in previous crash tests without making it a FMC. Crash test results are quickly becoming an important decision factor in some people's minds when buying a car, especially when it makes the nightly news. What consider makes a FMC is when major dimensional platform changes or major sheetmetal/glass that requires large amounts of retooling
Old 02-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
You'll have to get a BMW then.
You meant Toyota???
Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Reimroc
This color?
Ha, yup, that certainly looks like it!

I'm surprised there aren't more of photos of the blue RDX with the diamond cut wheels. Silver is so boring. And the wheels on the silver RDX? *blech*
Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You meant Toyota???
BMW has "angel eyes"
The following users liked this post:
Enilder (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front LED strips are so dated. And rear LEDs... are they LED bars or are they using the same ones as found in the current MDX? I'm not fan of the MDX's as you can see the small lines.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:45 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You meant Toyota???
Not sure if you are trolling. What's your definition of "angel eyes?" Google "angel eyes" and see if you get what you were looking for. You will never see that on Acura.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

I think we pretty much nailed what we speculated for the past couple months. It's disappointing to see non-SH-AWD in 2016 RDX but we expected that. Seems like a nice CUV for daily commute!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

I am wondering about the HP bump and if it was an nice power enhancement or necessity for the new 9sp tranny being less efficiant. Any thoughts?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Not an FMC

The updates to the 2nd gen RDX are an MMC not an FMC for one simple reason, and the only reason that counts... Acura says so. They don't refer to this as a 3rd gen RDX or use the term 'all-new' as they would for a new model. So it is an MMC, just like the ILX is an MMC. Yes it is more substantial than the MMC's of the past, but Acura is clearly trying to straighten out some recent shortcomings and I think it is a good move. Maybe in 3 years we'll see the 3rd Gen RDX, but this isn't it. I still like it though.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
honda_nut (02-21-2015), kfhughes (02-13-2015), rbreeze (02-16-2015), silverTL6 (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 09:12 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The updates to the 2nd gen RDX are an MMC not an FMC for one simple reason, and the only reason that counts... Acura says so. They don't refer to this as a 3rd gen RDX or use the term 'all-new' as they would for a new model. So it is an MMC, just like the ILX is an MMC. Yes it is more substantial than the MMC's of the past, but Acura is clearly trying to straighten out some recent shortcomings and I think it is a good move. Maybe in 3 years we'll see the 3rd Gen RDX, but this isn't it. I still like it though.
Agree with all of your points.
So, like before RDX will definitely be one of the front runners in the shopping list of those looking for a quick and upscale SUV/CUV.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Here are the model year comparisons and details:

The following 12 users liked this post by xdothedew:
1CleanRDX (02-16-2015), 5 Acuras (02-15-2015), bzb123 (02-15-2015), Chaptorial (02-15-2015), javp (02-16-2015), JeffS (02-15-2015), kfhughes (02-15-2015), rbreeze (02-15-2015), Reimroc (02-15-2015), Rocket_man (02-15-2015), Shampoch (02-16-2015), trcollins59 (02-15-2015) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^

Great post with a lot of good info. If I was to purchase the new RDX this spring it would be with the Advance package but I wasn't really happy with the wheels. Unfortunately the "optional" wheels don't look that much better. Will have to see in person to truly decide.

Originally Posted by 7Heaven
And rear LEDs... are they LED bars or are they using the same ones as found in the current MDX? I'm not fan of the MDX's as you can see the small lines.
Looks to be similar to the MDX rear LED's.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks, I see a '16 Advance in my future this spring!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree that the wheels are horrible....Acua should look at the Lincoln MKC's wheel....STUNNING!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm kinda liking these wheels and wonder how they would look on a 2016 white RDX Advance?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
A few photos of white '16 RDX revealed at 2015 Toronto Auto Show. . . .

Name:  IMG_6535_zps525f0a0d.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  acura-rdx-2016_zps1203517f.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  acura-rdx-lights_zpsaaac7a70.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  54.7 KB

/R
The following 2 users liked this post by rbreeze:
javp (02-16-2015), Rocket_man (02-15-2015)

Quick Reply: 2016 Model Year Changes