Power Tailgate Warning Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Power Tailgate Warning Buzzer

I finally located this annoying device. It's behind the rear bumper and towards the driver side. There are two buzzer units (they look like relays) in this area. The one for the tailgate is the one that is activated by a proximity sensor that is located at the center of the bumper. You can follow the harness from it to the buzzer.
I unplugged the connector at the buzzer, determined that I had the right one and then plugged it back in half way. This interrupts the connection but keeps the dirt out.
Five minute modification without having to jack up the car.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Is this something just you "northern" folks have? Not sure I have ever heard the tailgate warning buzzer, then again maybe I've been lucky to always have it closed?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Ya'll might want to open the tailgate some day and confirm that for us northern folk.
Originally Posted by mdfree
Is this something just you "northern" folks have? Not sure I have ever heard the tailgate warning buzzer, then again maybe I've been lucky to always have it closed?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:24 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
I finally located this annoying device. It's behind the rear bumper and towards the driver side. There are two buzzer units (they look like relays) in this area. The one for the tailgate is the one that is activated by a proximity sensor that is located at the center of the bumper. You can follow the harness from it to the buzzer.
I unplugged the connector at the buzzer, determined that I had the right one and then plugged it back in half way. This interrupts the connection but keeps the dirt out.
What "buzzer" are you talking about? The noise it makes while opening and closing?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
What "buzzer" are you talking about? The noise it makes while opening and closing?
Yes that would be the one. Makes a more a of a beeping sound but is referred to as a buzzer assembly.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Yes that would be the one. Makes a more a of a beeping sound but is referred to as a buzzer assembly.
Oh that noise! I guess with my lousy hearing it never bothered me.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Sheesh - what a first world problem. It is there to alert distracted people that the hatch is opening or closing and to check for obstructions (like stray heads). Those few seconds of beeping can't be that bad...
Old 08-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Sheesh - what a first world problem. It is there to alert distracted people that the hatch is opening or closing and to check for obstructions (like stray heads). Those few seconds of beeping can't be that bad...
I think we all understand the purpose of the buzzer. The point of the post was to inform how to disable it. Others might also find it annoying and might appreciate the information.
But hey thanks for coming.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:56 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Geewiz.... If that's all you can find to complain about.....?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Can we quit all the sniping in the posts? We're all here to share and learn. Compared to some of the VW forums it seems like there's way too much ego and bravado. Just my 2cents I'll be quiet now. ;-)
The following 4 users liked this post by mdfree:
Comfy (08-31-2014), hand-filer (08-29-2014), joebxr (08-30-2014), ossaguy (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Sorry...... WILCO..... (Will Comply). Over & out.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Heck...that's nothing! My new tactical rifle case is too long to fit in the trunk of our C70 so I can put the top down!!! Talk about unfair!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mdfree
Can we quit all the sniping in the posts? We're all here to share and learn. Compared to some of the VW forums it seems like there's way too much ego and bravado. Just my 2cents I'll be quiet now. ;-)
I think when someone posts a "fix" to a problem that doesn't exist, it behooves the rest of the community to point out that the "problem" is one that affects only the poster.

If you read the original post, it sounds as if he found a solution to world hunger when in reality he merely squeezed a pimple on his forehead.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
I think when someone posts a "fix" to a problem that doesn't exist, it behooves the rest of the community to point out that the "problem" is one that affects only the poster.

If you read the original post, it sounds as if he found a solution to world hunger when in reality he merely squeezed a pimple on his forehead.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ceb

Now..... That's Funny!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

Actually the OP never called it a fix. He called it a modification. You also don't know if the sound annoys other RDX owners as well.
The following users liked this post:
joebxr (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CoachRick
Heck...that's nothing! My new tactical rifle case is too long to fit in the trunk of our C70 so I can put the top down!!! Talk about unfair!!!
Please make sure to post this in the Volvo forum. It is obvious that it is a serious defect with the car. Can you post a mod like the OP? Perhaps using a chainsaw to remove the offending bits?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
CoachRick, I may have found a solution for your problem. See attached picture. If it works for a Porsche Boxster, I'm sure you can make it fit the C70.
Attached Thumbnails Power Tailgate Warning Buzzer-gun-rack.jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Please make sure to post this in the Volvo forum. It is obvious that it is a serious defect with the car. Can you post a mod like the OP? Perhaps using a chainsaw to remove the offending bits?
Originally Posted by rosen39
CoachRick, I may have found a solution for your problem. See attached picture. If it works for a Porsche Boxster, I'm sure you can make it fit the C70.
I'm working on it! Thinking aero along the lines of a trunk-mounted upsloping mount...like a ski mount.

Maybe I can slide it through the 'ski opening' between the back seats!

Actually the SIG has a folding stock; so I can use a much smaller carbine-style bag, but I need to find one in Calcite Cream to match the interior. GEEZ...could it BE any worse??? No wonder they quit making that car!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:10 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Cool

Originally Posted by musty hustla
Actually the OP never called it a fix. He called it a modification. You also don't know if the sound annoys other RDX owners as well.

Wrong.... ceb asked several of us. We all told him that (what sound) the sound did not bother us.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I'm working on it! Thinking aero along the lines of a trunk-mounted upsloping mount...like a ski mount.

Maybe I can slide it through the 'ski opening' between the back seats!

Actually the SIG has a folding stock; so I can use a much smaller carbine-style bag, but I need to find one in Calcite Cream to match the interior. GEEZ...could it BE any worse??? No wonder they quit making that car!!!
I recently had the opportunity to play with an MP-X in NH at the school. That one might fit nicely.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Have read this thread with amusement. I, for one, have been looking for exactly this information for two years, and have posted an earlier query as well. Buzzer is a pain in the ass, and my garage is like a sound chamber when open, and the rear lid buzzer causes everyone accross the street in the park to immediately look my way when i open. yes, not cure to world hunger, but quite usefull for more of the readers than some think.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
sweet I also hate the buzzer. I seen those relay units but never messed with them several months ago. Didn't know what they were for and didn't want to unplug them and trigger any error codes