Power lift gate

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power lift gate

Can someone give me the name of an aftermarket shop that can install a power lift gate kit to my 2014 RDX.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you checked with the dealer to see if they can retrofit it in your vehicle?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I think that your.... S.O.L. on that possibility. Should'a, Would'a... Couuld'a, Bought the Tech package and got most of your $$ back at resale time. And enjoyed the use of all the tech items. Unless your a Canuck... The Tech was the prudent way to go. Good luck.

As always.... IMHO.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by ezgobob
Can someone give me the name of an aftermarket shop that can install a power lift gate kit to my 2014 RDX.
Sure. Try Joe's chop shop.

You don't tell us where you are but you want the name of a shop to retrofit?

It is immaterial anyway because the costs of parts and labor would far exceed the cost of trading your car in and buying a tech.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Power lift gate

I live in Arizona.
The dealer won't install.
Not sure if I should trade in on a 2015 Tech package or wait until 2016.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
I live in Arizona.
I'd wait to see what the 2016 has to offer.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ARascal
I think that your.... S.O.L. on that possibility. Should'a, Would'a... Couuld'a, Bought the Tech package and got most of your $$ back at resale time. And enjoyed the use of all the tech items. Unless your a Canuck... The Tech was the prudent way to go. Good luck.

As always.... IMHO.
Even as a Canuck, the Tech package is still worth the cost.
The following users liked this post:
ARascal (08-06-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
I live in Arizona.
What makes you think you must need a power tailgate?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Power lift gate

I don't, but wife is driving me up the wall for not having a power gate.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:27 AM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Try some duct tape.....
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I live in Arizona.
I would wait until the +16 comes out. That should be the MMC with some updated styling and tech. They might make the power lift-gate standard; if not, the MMC updates might make it worth it to upgrade to the tech model later.

The things I don't like about the power lift-gate on our MDX are:
- really slow compared to open/close it manually
- you have to unlock the car and then press/hold the hatch button, why can't I just unlock the hatch and/or doors at the same time (M.I.D. setting option)
- no height adjustment if the open hatch hits garage door opening (hits the door and goes back down).

It is a nice to have item; but, I would not trade my current RDX just for that feature alone.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Intermediate

Power lift gate

Thank you for the advice, I think the wife making too much out of the lift gate.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Thank you for the advice, I think the wife making too much out of the lift gate.
Best wishes for letting the better sense prevail. With all the positive and negative comments I'm glad that you got the direction this thread was pointing you to. It is just not worth trading any car (let alone the RDX) just for one extra feature you wish it had. I understand you didn't want to trade you car anyway, but that's beside the point. If you don't want to have a lot of heartache (and headache), buy the car you want with all the options you like (or may want in near future) during the original purchase. Unless you are an aftermarket fan and like your car "supermodded" it is best to stick with your car for as long as possible and then go for another one when you are truly "done" with that car IMHO. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Wink Power lift gate

You are correct Comfy,I only have 10000 on the 2014 will trade when I reach 90000.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
normally it isn't too hard to actually add the power lift gate but in this case you will need

1. Lock closer assembly #11, $170
2. button on liftgate #12, $32
3. Screw #58, $1
4. Buzzer assembly #26, $36
5. Sensor assembly #27, $120

There are most likely other things needed but I am not sure

That's at least $400 in parts and that does not include the $100 key fob

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
normally it isn't too hard to actually add the power lift gate but in this case you will need

1. Lock closer assembly #11, $170
2. button on liftgate #12, $32
3. Screw #58, $1
4. Buzzer assembly #26, $36
5. Sensor assembly #27, $120

There are most likely other things needed but I am not sure

That's at least $400 in parts and that does not include the $100 key fob

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Wiring harness ? Cost for dealer install or if you DIY, the cost to flash the computer and reprogram? FORGETABOUTIT.....
Old 08-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Power lift gate

Thank you for the parts list.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Wiring harness ? Cost for dealer install or if you DIY, the cost to flash the computer and reprogram? FORGETABOUTIT.....
wiring harness is most likely already there as are the required software module. Everything communicates on a CANBUS so once it was installed it would most likely work
Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 AM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Cool

wiring harness is most likely already there as are the required software module. Everything communicates on a CANBUS so once it was installed it would most likely work

I see you have two (2) "most likely" in your post....
Is that like, Maybe, could be, should, or coulda been, shouda been and woulda been ?.... "Most likely", Means, I wish it woulda been (lol).

Never assume... When Acura (cheap skates) built the car, they didn't even want to spend the extra money to make the passenger seat go up or down.

Maybe they put all the other parts you listed along with the hypothetical wire harness? Just add the button and the hatch goes up?

The Acura company glass is half full? For us owner's that want to add a auto hatch, rear ac vents, up/down passenger seat and a nav that I can use when I drive.... I don't think so.

Maybe, take a look inside the rear fenders.... Might be lane departure sensors in there (LOL).... dreamer.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 AM
Suzuka Master

^ lol

ok let me spell it out for you

it is cheaper for them to make 1 harness vs 2 for said vehicle. This allows them to customize each one as it comes down the line. This isn't rocket science...

It is also cheaper for them to load 1 software on said computer and have it auto configure based upon what's plugged in, again this is cost effective... and not rocket science...

lol I bet you think MS makes multiple versions of Windows distributions.... lol nope, your key and a configuration file are the only differences between versions... the core package is the same and it has been that way since WINNT 4

and obviously you are pissed off about something regarding acura so maybe next time do some research before you buy your car?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I see you have two (2) "most likely" in your post....
Is that like, Maybe, could be, should, or coulda been, shouda been and woulda been ?.... "Most likely", Means, I wish it woulda been (lol).

Never assume... When Acura (cheap skates) built the car, they didn't even want to spend the extra money to make the passenger seat go up or down.

Maybe they put all the other parts you listed along with the hypothetical wire harness? Just add the button and the hatch goes up?

The Acura company glass is half full? For us owner's that want to add a auto hatch, rear ac vents, up/down passenger seat and a nav that I can use when I drive.... I don't think so.

Maybe, take a look inside the rear fenders.... Might be lane departure sensors in there (LOL).... dreamer.
^ lol

ok let me spell it out for you

it is cheaper for them to make 1 harness vs 2 for said vehicle. This allows them to customize each one as it comes down the line. This isn't rocket science...

It is also cheaper for them to load 1 software on said computer and have it auto configure based upon what's plugged in, again this is cost effective... and not rocket science...

lol I bet you think MS makes multiple versions of Windows distributions.... lol nope, your key and a configuration file are the only differences between versions... the core package is the same and it has been that way since WINNT 4

and obviously you are pissed off about something regarding acura so maybe next time do some research before you buy your car?
I'd bet the truth lies somewhere in between.

Once ALL of the required bits are added up (I suspect some of the trim pieces are different and where is the motor to make it all happen - that isn't the "lock closer assembly") you'll find that parts will easily exceed $1000. Installation will add another chunk of change since much of the interior will require disassembly.

Are you sure that the wiring harnesses have the same part number? In my experience, manufacturers DO use different parts rather than combining then. The example of Windows was a bad one because with software it is easy to turn features on and off - not that easy with hardware where every extra strand of copper costs money. In general, manufacturers don't like to leave open connections dangling about.

A prime example is VW where models with and without foglights have different harnesses with the differences being a couple of fewer wires in the non-foglight models. Dealers will generally only stock the "with foglight" version as it works for both but two separate harnesses are used at the factory.

These types of retrofits are usually much more expensive than initially expected by a quick perusal of a parts diagram and often lead to electrical issues down the road.

My prediction is that a retrofit at an Acura dealer would exceed $3k.

Oh, if you compare parts lists to the "non-tech" version you'll note that the tailgate itself has a different part number - so add $556 to your estimate. I didn't bother looking at the other pieces but I'm sure that you'll find many subtle differences that add up.

Last edited by ceb; 08-11-2014 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph
The following users liked this post:
ARascal (08-11-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

Power lift gate

I'm not and I quote pissed off at the Acura end of quote.As YeuEmMaiMai stated.
I only wanted a power lift gate but was not avaible as a option on the RDX had to buy the tech package to get a power lift gate didn't feel it was worth the extra money.