New 2015 RDX (Co-) Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:06 PM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New 2015 RDX (Co-) Owner

Hi Folks!

Been browsing this RDX sub-forum plus the 5th gen TL (TLX) section since July 2014 to learn a few things and enjoy the good banter.

Wife needed a replacement for her 2003 Accord and we decided it would be the gen 2 RDX. She's a bit averse to the whole car-shopping experience but got convinced to test-drive the RDX, which she fell in love with.

At that time, the CX5 was my personal favorite but after the wife's RDX test-drive, I knew the business was going to Acura.

Got a 3-week old 2015 with Tech Package that was returned by the first buyer who realized she wanted something bigger. Car had 1,300 miles, the OEM wood appearance package (excluding shifter and steering wheel), roof rack, side-steps, front tint, and tow hitch. $36k before the 3.75% GA tax (one-time ad valorem) and $570 doc fee totaling $39k OTD.

Observations/impressions from 2 months' ownership:

1) Peppy with reasonable fuel economy (22 mpg city/hwy, 70/30)
2) Transmission is quick to shift smoothly to a higher gear but there's a slight lag when stabbing the gas pedal
3) Ride is quiet and refined - more so than my 07 Infiniti M35 RWD
4) ELS is fantastic, Nav isn't. Determined to get some use out of the Nav, I fiddled with it one time to learn the system. Once destination is programmed, it's fine but the programming procedure - as has been commented here - is seriously outdated
5) Floormats seem to wear easily
6) Exterior to my eyes is near-perfect
7) Rear air vents would've been nice

Here are some photos. Looking forward to being on the RDX forum for some time, and maybe the TLX section once my M35 is near replacement time.

Glad to be joining y'all here

PS Last photo is a solution to the cargo area puzzle of keeping items from rolling around, avoiding carpet stains and unwanted scents from permeating the cabin, and having a container to carry groceries to the house. Also thinking of getting a cargo cover.

The following 2 users liked this post by benromana:
CAM2013 (09-22-2014), hadokenuh (09-22-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 2015 too, mine is black with the tan interior. I purchased the rubber mats and cargo tray with mine, I wish I went with the roof racks because every time I see one with the racks I love them more and more. That being said, I had roof racks on my 3 previous vehicles and never once used them so it would be a waste of money. I like the way the running boards look on the RDX but at 6'1" they aren't practical for me, have them on my truck and I end up getting my pants dirty sliding over them getting in and out because of how awkward they are to step on.

As for the navigation unit. It is seriously outdated but it does work. On a recent trip to the city it was worth the $3000 dollars I paid for the technology package to get it. The ride I don't find spectacular, my last car was a dream to drive on the highway but the power plant wasn't refined. If I could have a soft ride again I would take it but I do love the way it handles in corners at high-speeds. I also find the seats lack thigh support.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine.. even though mine has been in the shop since Thursday ;(
The following users liked this post:
benromana (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 08:32 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by AXMACD
I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine.. even though mine has been in the shop since Thursday ;(
Thanks! Having accessories installed on your car at the shop?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Congratulations Benromana on your new car. The photos look awesome. You could try a cargo tray for most of your above mentioned practical issues. I'm sure you and your wife would enjoy this car a lot like all of us do. Do ask us if you have any questions and I'm sure you'll get an answer. This forum has a lot of well informed members and all have been very helpful to me as well. We got our RDX in May and we love it so far.
benromana (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
Congratulations Benromana on your new car. The photos look awesome. You could try a cargo tray for most of your above mentioned practical issues. I'm sure you and your wife would enjoy this car a lot like all of us do. Do ask us if you have any questions and I'm sure you'll get an answer. This forum has a lot of well informed members and all have been very helpful to me as well. We got our RDX in May and we love it so far.
Thanks, Comfy! Maybe I'm seeing your posts in the TLX section, right?

Yes, I think I will get a cargo tray for the car - the carpet there looks too soft and luxurious to take a good deal of wear and tear.

The RDX lets me know Acura/Honda's on its game engineering-wise. But IMO they do have to step it up from a product planning standpoint to get more conquest sales.

Appreciate the welcome!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:12 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the RDX, Benromana. I am new to the Acurazine community as well. I purchased a used base model 2013 RDX almost two weeks ago and I am loving it. Its a huge difference from my 1997 Toyota Avalon- with 192k miles! :-) I purchased the OEM cargo tray and weathertech floor mats last week. My job requires construction site visits so the floor was the first thing I wanted to protect. In the future I hope to add the roof rails and trailer hitch as my budget allows.
That's a great looking vehicle you have there! Congrats!
benromana (09-22-2014)