Springs and Ride Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 04:57 PM
6SPDCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs and Ride Comfort

Anyone know if lowering your car will give you a stiff ride?

I've ridden in 2 cars that were lowered. One was a 3rd generation Integra and one was a BMW 325is (1997).

The Integra was not very comfortable. Even my 93 Integra I used to own was an uncomfortable ride (even without lowering it).

The BMW was sweet. It was all stock but there was very little wheel/fender gap. It rode very "soild".

My current CLS is great. I want to have the lowered "look" and "performance" but I need to know if lowering it will make it feel uncomfortable like the Integra or pleasing like a BMW.

I guess all cars are built differently...I just don't want to mess up something good I have right now by lowering it with say some Comptech springs.

Anyone want to share their experiences with the comfort level after lowering their CL(S) compared to a previous lowered vehicle?

** DDT-TypeS
Old 01-03-2001, 05:02 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont have the springs... but I've been in cars with them... and also... gathering what most people say...

the comptech springs provide a ride very similar to stock... just slightly firmer.

most seem to prefer the ride of the comptechs then the ride of stock springs even if the person wanted the smoothest ride possible before getting them.

I dont think I've ever seen any complaints from anyone after they got the springs

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit

Retired: 2000 Acura 3.2 TL
Old 01-03-2001, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
I dont have the springs... but I've been in cars with them... and also... gathering what most people say...

the comptech springs provide a ride very similar to stock... just slightly firmer.

most seem to prefer the ride of the comptechs then the ride of stock springs even if the person wanted the smoothest ride possible before getting them.

I dont think I've ever seen any complaints from anyone after they got the springs

</font>
Mike thought they might be 15% harder. What do you think (I think I'm going for them!)

I have seen people selling springs. Do you know if these guys are going for more radical springs?

Anybody ever reverted back to stock?

Note: I had some Supension Techniques 1" lowering springs in my old 2002ti (after I had some springs that knocked my fillings out) -- they were fine and actually lowered the car without loosing the nice ride...

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-03-2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I have the springs and here is a review I wrote a while back. Hope it helps ya.

I've got the Comptech springs on my CLS and I'm amazed at the degree of handling improvement. This is how the car should have been designed to handle. (I also have their sways) Make no mistake the ride even with the Comptech's is noticeably stiffer, but, not yet anyways, can it be called harsh. Bumps are felt more since the spring travel is less than stock but the steering is lighter and tighter. Interestingly though the car rides lower in front, the steering wheel input from any road surface imperfections seems the same thru the front. But its definitely more pronounced at the rear. (As you probably know Comptech says their springs are 10 - 15% stiffer than stock).

On a true flat surface the drop in front is AT LEAST 1.5" and probably the same at the rear. The stance is perfect. It's so low that I've necessarily adjusted my seat because the rake of the front thru the windshield is now more extreme although I like it like that. BUT, in order to keep some ride softness, I am keeping to my stock 17" rims so that I can run on a higher profile tire. No 18" or 19" rims for me.

I'm amazed that Acura couldn't find more of a balance in the cars handling and ride quality. I'll probably never go back to stock because of the handling but I hear you and your concern about returning to a softer ride.

Good luck

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards
Old 01-03-2001, 08:49 PM
6SPDCLS

Thanks Al Uminum for sharing your experience!

I think I'm going to hold off on those Comptech springs...until I can experience the feel of the ride on someone elses CLS up here in WA myself.

I'm stickin' to the stock 17" 215/50 tires. It's not a bad looking rim but I must agree with others that the "protruding alloy" does bother me. I can't even park the car without being paranoid I'm too close to the curb!

Old 01-03-2001, 09:45 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Interestingly though the car rides lower in front, the steering wheel input from any road surface imperfections seems the same thru the front. But its definitely more pronounced at the rear. (As you probably know Comptech says their springs are 10 - 15% stiffer than stock).</font>
Comptech is using the standard tuner tricks used to even out understeer. Your car probably feels more neutral than stock, but at the same time, beware of exceeding the limits since its now that much more prone to trading ends. (On the other hand, the firmer suspension probably telegraphs what each wheel is doing all that much better, so there's less likelyhood of exceeding limits anyways.)

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 10:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i was a cry baby about the stiffness of the springs when i first got them, but after about a week, they weared in and softened a whole lot more you can't even notice it anymore after a bit. the difference is minute

------------------
YuppieCL
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint, Full nose mask
Old 01-03-2001, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
Comptech is using the standard tuner tricks used to even out understeer. Your car probably feels more neutral than stock, but at the same time, beware of exceeding the limits since its now that much more prone to trading ends. (On the other hand, the firmer suspension probably telegraphs what each wheel is doing all that much better, so there's less likelyhood of exceeding limits anyways.)</font>
hmm … Idontknow. The car is now on rails and this still on the stock rubber. The sways have killed any body roll and there is no sense of trading ends. Having owned a mid-engined 914 Porsche, a Lancia Beta coupe, I have some idea of how far a car (even one as heavy as this) can be tossed without losing it. I think it less of Comptech providing simple marginal improvements and rather more of Comptech changing the cars center of gravity along with making the cars struts act more in concert with each other (re:sways).

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards