What if I don't replace motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What if I don't replace motor mounts?

01' 5AT -150k miles
Needs 2 new motor mounts and 2 transmission mounts

I might as well swap all of them out if I go through with the repairs. Complete mount swap-out Parts+labor quoted at $800

The car kicks when put into reverse when it's cold and there's also a delay
When dropping speeds to 10-20mph, getting back on the gas will lead to the car jerking/kicking a bit every now and then (let's say 1/10 times you're put in the situation)
When cruising at low highway speeds 40-50mph, and getting on the gas hard- car can kick pretty hard (1/10 times)

As long as I don't go WOT/heavy acceleration I feel I should be good. I only experience kicks maybe 10% of the time I'm put into the situations above
Old 10-29-2020, 02:30 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
You completely sure it's just the motor mounts and not the transmission heading south? When feeling the kicking, are there gear changes happening right before or after? Do RPM changes coincide with it at all?

The part about "when it's cold" sounds much more like the transmission than the mounts, as they should behave the same no matter the weather. Transmissions on the other hand often see more issues when it's cold (and also when the fluid is cold).

Hate to say it, but I'm leaning towards transmission based on what's said here.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:40 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I will answer the title only with a story.

Broken motor mounts will cause the engine to move or shift in unwanted directions. I could tell that my motor mounts were gone when I would shift gears and I could physically feel the engine move, especially during corners.
finally bought new motor mounts after a few months of thinking "as long as I dont go WOT around corners".
I replaced the front and side motor mount, but could not replace the rear. after a few more months of driving like that, I decided to take it to a mechanic to get the rear mount.
He had a hard time uninstalling the rear mount and when he finally did, he couldnt put in the new mount ( I know, I need a new mechanic)
He's a family friend, so he let me drive without any rear mount at all.
I was thinking maybe I could install the rear mount in a few weeks or so...well, a few weeks turned into 6 months driving without the rear mount. and let me tell you, it's the sketchiest thing I have ever done.
the engine wanted to pull in the opposite direction of my turn, cuz you know...physics.
it would get especially sketchy in the rain as i turned corners...the engine wanted to pull the whole car in the opposite direction of the turn. almost wrecked twice.
those two instances of almost wrecking twice, got me off my ass to install the rear motor mount. I will never do that again.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
nist7 (10-30-2020), zeta (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 255 Posts
highly recommend replacing the mounts yourself...and I think some have had OK luck with the parts from rockauto on this one...just as long as they are vacuum assisted type of mounts that match the oem version.

Both the front and rear mounts aren't insanely difficult; you just have to remove the right parts in order to get them in & out.

If you loosen the engine mounting bracket that's between the mount and the engine itself, that should buy you some wiggle room to get the mount out.

After the engine is properly supported, and slightly lifted of course.

The most challenging part I encountered was removing the bolts on the rear engine mount; it's very difficult to get to from above (you can use a long extension and swivles) or from below a ratcheting wrench.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Here is a better description of the story

Originally Posted by justnspace
long story short; had three broken motor mounts, the rubber disintegrated. bought replacements and managed to replace front and side. Couldnt uninstall rear mount. still connected to subframe, just no rubber and would clank and move a little.
went to indie mechanic, who fought with uninstalling the rear mount all day. Finally got it loose, but couldnt install new mount, complained new mount was too tall. the rear mount was completely gone. metal on metal and it would just clank around...so, I said " Dont worry, I'll install the new mount when I go home" asian family friend mechanic. so he was like, "whatever dude, that's why we dont install aftermarket parts, dont die on your way home"

you know how you stated that you wouldnt want to live in a place with high humidity? yeah, I live in a place that is 100 degrees with 100% humidity. just kept putting the install off, giving the excuse that it's too hot and if the mechanic couldnt do it...I wouldnt be able to do it..

finally got some great weather in September. finally got my ass under the car...
Dumbass mechanic didnt realize that there was an "engine torque damper" that was holding the engine to the subframe, thus why he couldnt install the taller mount...he kept complaining the mount was too tall, but all i did was take off the torque damper, which allowed the engine to raise high enough to get the taller mount in.

probably could have done the install a lot sooner than September, but you know excuses go. "too hot, fuck, I dont want to do this. fuck."

okay, very long story.
to be honest, it was pretty sketchy driving without the mount. another one of my excuses was, I barely drive and if I take turns at slow speeds, it'll be okay.
just all excuses. good thing is, I got motivated and installed it. it's good to go right now.

Front

Side

took these photos in March...so yeah, exactly six months
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-30-2020)