rear window defroster

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear window defroster

With the foggy mornings we've been having lately, the rear window on my CL-S is covered with dew every morning. I turn on the rear defroster to de-fog it, but it doesn't seem to do much to clear the window, even after 30 minutes on the highway. Started to give it the towel treatment this morning instead of trying to rely on the defroster.

Every car I've ever had, the rear defroster would clear the dew. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 01-04-2001, 10:11 PM
Adult Supervision

We have all noticed it. Acura seems to have removed "umph" from the heat and defrosting systems and channeled it into engine power.

Defrost is just that - it works better on ice than it does on dew which needs defogging more than anything.

BTW, the windshield defroster is slower than my 22 year old Merceded is - and that is pretty lame. The only winter climate feature which cooks (literally) is the high setting on the seat heaters. Ouch!

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-04-2001, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Do you guys have tint on the rear window?

The reason I ask is because I have tint on the rear window and I haven’t really noticed this as being a problem.
Actually, I have only used the rear defroster like two or three times since I got the car and we have had weather from 90+ degrees down to the current temps in the teens.
I was guessing that maybe the tint over the defroster wires might make it work better.

Stupid theory? Who knows ?

Shawn S

------------------
>>> 400+ posts on h/a.net <<< >>> 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com <<<

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-04-2001, 11:49 PM
Race Director

Here's what I've been experiencing: I've used my rear window defroster a couple dozen times and it has worked flawlessly. Signs of it working appear within 30 seconds (you start to see clearing lines) and within 2-3 minutes, you get substantial results.

Then all of a sudden I day when I turned it on, it appears that it didn't work at all. Then entire way home, no results.

That only happened once and I don't know what I did differently with the settings other than press the defrost button. Hasn't ever happened again.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 01-05-2001, 12:38 AM
I love my CL-S

i think mine works quite well..even with the dark tint..and the weather here is really cold..anway..mine is ok..havent notice any problems so far..

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter

clean cl-s=270 HP
Old 01-05-2001, 12:46 AM
Racer

Mine has worked fine as well. We've had a couple of mornings with frost this week. However, since I've only had the car for less than two weeks I can't say it's been tested in all situations.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-05-2001, 07:03 AM
Powered By HONDA

mine is working fine well too..i do not tint the window..

------------------
Red CL Type S.
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN
Old 01-05-2001, 06:49 PM
10th Gear

It's weird. The front defroster kicks butt - I turn it on and within a minute or two the windshield is totally clear. But the rear is pretty lame so far. I don't know how it would perform under actual icy conditions, but it doesn't do much with the condensation.
Old 01-05-2001, 06:56 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Shawn: I have tint too and it's works fine. I don't use it much though, but no inconsistance on my end. Heated seats, seem to cook sometimes and others, i wonder if it is working......?

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl
Old 01-05-2001, 07:28 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spyponder:
It's weird. The front defroster kicks butt - I turn it on and within a minute or two the windshield is totally clear. But the rear is pretty lame so far. I don't know how it would perform under actual icy conditions, but it doesn't do much with the condensation.</font>
Everyone else (especially cold weather people) please comment on front defroster. I have had to wait 15 minutes to clear the front recently with simple 10 degree frost.

Does only mine suck?

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-05-2001, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Every car I've had here in Michigan took a little experimenting to figure out what the best 'settings' are for defrosting.

For my '01 Type-S, winter-mode, I've settled on the following...

I run my coupe at 61 deg. F (yes, sixty-one), NO a/c, and defrost/floor setting with manual override on the fan control. I also avoid breathing on the windshield; especially when temps are in the single digits or lower (F). I've had the car's outside temp gauge show TEN below (-10) so far while on the local 2-lane streets this holiday season.

This generally does a fine job unless the temp drops near or below Zero. Yummy. Then I bump the fan speed from about '2 oclock' to about '4 oclock' on the fan knob. Once in a while I push the Defrost button (theoretically engages the a/c to help so the manual says ) for a bit of extra help. The air flow is key in my opinion for keeping the windshield reasonably clear...breath on it and all bets are off. Talking to a passenger will do it too.

If I have any frost or snow to clear off the w'shield, etc. I'll start the car, turn on the rear defroster grid and start cleaning. A couple minutes later I'm gone.

If I'm feeling particularly picked upon by the elements I'll throw on the seat heater.

Someone mentioned seat heat...TWO modes> HOT, no temp control, LOW w/some sort of control...according to the manual. It seems to behave that way. Passenger seat only has seat cushion heat...NONE in the rear seating.

Rear defroster...
Does seem less aggressive than previous cars but the large rear glass combined with its steep slope means a lot of stuff settles on it when compared to say, a 4-door sedan. And I don't think it has more juice going to it to compensate for the extra area when compared to the TL, for example.

Also, because of its proximity to the radio antenna grid, I suspect there could be issues with radio reception if the grid had too much power coursing through it. My reception is fine and it defrosts well enough.

When getting the car washed, it IS a bonus not to have to shut the radio off (to force retraction of an 'automatic' antenna) or get out (ugh!) and unscrew the lame little whip that so many cars come with.

------------------
'01 Acura CL-S Black/Ebony, Nav-free
Old 01-05-2001, 10:23 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DHB:
Every car I've had here in Michigan took a little experimenting to figure out what the best 'settings' are for defrosting.

For my '01 Type-S, winter-mode, I've settled on the following...

I run my coupe at 61 deg. F (yes, sixty-one), NO a/c, and defrost/floor setting with manual override on the fan control. I also avoid breathing on the windshield; especially when temps are in the single digits or lower (F). I've had the car's outside temp gauge show TEN below (-10) so far while on the local 2-lane streets this holiday season.

This generally does a fine job unless the temp drops near or below Zero. Yummy. Then I bump the fan speed from about '2 oclock' to about '4 oclock' on the fan knob. Once in a while I push the Defrost button (theoretically engages the a/c to help so the manual says ) for a bit of extra help. The air flow is key in my opinion for keeping the windshield reasonably clear...breath on it and all bets are off. Talking to a passenger will do it too.

If I have any frost or snow to clear off the w'shield, etc. I'll start the car, turn on the rear defroster grid and start cleaning. A couple minutes later I'm gone.

If I'm feeling particularly picked upon by the elements I'll throw on the seat heater.

Someone mentioned seat heat...TWO modes> HOT, no temp control, LOW w/some sort of control...according to the manual. It seems to behave that way. Passenger seat only has seat cushion heat...NONE in the rear seating.

Rear defroster...
Does seem less aggressive than previous cars but the large rear glass combined with its steep slope means a lot of stuff settles on it when compared to say, a 4-door sedan. And I don't think it has more juice going to it to compensate for the extra area when compared to the TL, for example.

Also, because of its proximity to the radio antenna grid, I suspect there could be issues with radio reception if the grid had too much power coursing through it. My reception is fine and it defrosts well enough.

When getting the car washed, it IS a bonus not to have to shut the radio off (to force retraction of an 'automatic' antenna) or get out (ugh!) and unscrew the lame little whip that so many cars come with.

</font>
Now there's a man who knows his winter removal capabilities. I need to print this out and study it...

------------------
MikeS 18
Old 01-05-2001, 10:31 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

It's interesting to note that the biggest problem comes from dew not frost! I would think that it would take longer to "dry" up dew than to "defrost" frost. Mine works about average of any car that I have had so no real complaints. Just if you are listening to a fringe radio station, the rear defrost causes some interference. My AUDI A6 does the same thing though. JMO

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior