MP3 player install questions / power questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2001, 02:30 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 player install questions / power questions

Ok, I am building an MP3 player for the car (dont worry it will look just fine, hidden from view). I would like to know where I can find out how to add in an extra line-in into our head unit or where i can add in an in-line rf modulator. Also i need to get some power for this bad boy. I plan on mouting it in the trunk, how can i get power back there (i have a DC -> AC power converter). Thanks.

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Tints, piaa road lamps, hyper white turning signals & backup lights, eyebrows
Old 02-08-2001, 03:07 AM
Intermediate

I don't think the in dash changer has an external changer input (correct me if I'm wrong), so getting a line in feed is going to be almost impossible. You can pick up RF modulators almost anywhere that sells electronics. That's probably going to be your best bet.

To get power back there for a DC/AC inverter, I would run a dedicated 8 gauge positive lead from the battery, and pick up a local ground in the trunk, again with 8 gauge lead and hefty ring terminal on a bare spot under the trunk carpet. Maybe next to the spare tire. Just watch that gas tank!

HTH,

Paul

------------------
2001 White CL Type S
Old 02-08-2001, 08:43 AM
Racer

Thats what i thought about the power but, do I run that under the car, through the cabin, anyone have instructions or tips on how to do this. (Cosmetic help and ideas of where to run it through).

As far as the RF modulator goes, is there a way i can actually cut into the line from the radio antenna to the head unit, then plug my piece into it and put the wire back together (in-line). I know there are ways to do this, I just dont know where the line is.

Does anyone know where i can find a book on the car (mechanics manual).

Thank You Guys SO much

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Old 02-08-2001, 11:05 AM
Instructor

If you are not planning on adding any additional equipment such as aftermarket amplifiers in the trunk, an 8ga power lead is not necessary. You could just as easily tap into the power lead to the factory amp. in the trunk located near the jack storage area. (Cheaper and easier than running the 8ga from the battery.) If you are adding additional equipment, run the power cable through the cabin as it will keep it out of harms way and looks neater, though is a little tougher to do. There's a small plastic grommet located under the dash, above the gas pedal that can be knocked out to get the power lead into the passenger compartment without drilling or too much aggravation. Be sure to use a grommet in this area to prevent the cable from getting worn on the metal (available at auto electronics dealers). Also, be sure to fuse this lead near the battery (<18") or you could run the risk of fire should the wire get shorted.

Adding a DC to AC inverter sounds like an additional step, can't you just tap directly into you MP3 device with DC voltage? (Most electronic devices run on 9 to 12v DC, you can get voltage drop resistors to step down if needed). You could use a relay in conjunction with the remote turn-on lead to the factory amp to ensure the MP3 device is not always on.

The RF modulator is probably the best bet for tapping into the stock radio. I'm not sure if/how you could directly tap into the antenna lead if the RF device does not provide for that. The antenna lead, I believe runs from the rear window above the headliner (over to the passenger side of the car, I think). Not sure if there's an easy way to tap into it there. Most likely point of connection is to the rear of the head unit. The RF modulator would likely come with an inline adapter to accomdate this.

BTW, what type of MP3 player are you trying to add. Is it a CD based walkman device or something similar to the Nomad by Creative Labs? We want to know!!!

You can check out my amateur stereo install here: http://rrw.d2g.com/development/albums/stereo.htm

Good Luck, CLS ACT

------------------
The Red Rocket

bone-stock, and now she's Dented and Miserable!
Old 02-08-2001, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey I was at circuit city the other day and found out that APEX the company that made the mp3/dvd player for your home system has came out w/ a headunit for your car. mp3/dvd/cd and the cost 300. but it looks ugly as heck. I suppose your just sopose to mount it in the trunk or something.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-08-2001, 05:24 PM
Racer

What I am building is a small x86 based computer that will run a customised version of linux. Here are the tenative specs:

133 MHZ Pentium
48 MB RAM
8.4 GB IBM HD
40x4 LCD display (if i had a navi i could do so many cooler things, but i dont )

it will be mounted in the trunk with conrtols to be placed the cup holder area. Next problem is how to get the control cables from the trunk into the center console. Any ideas?

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Old 02-08-2001, 05:32 PM
Racer

One other thing.. anyone know where I can find detailed information about taking apart the dash and/or the center console. A book or a mechianics handbook. A friend of mine told me that people who work at car alarm and stero places have that kind of stuff.

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Old 02-08-2001, 11:15 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LarryB:
What I am building is a small x86 based computer that will run a customised version of linux. Here are the tenative specs:

133 MHZ Pentium
48 MB RAM
8.4 GB IBM HD
40x4 LCD display (if i had a navi i could do so many cooler things, but i dont )

it will be mounted in the trunk with conrtols to be placed the cup holder area. Next problem is how to get the control cables from the trunk into the center console. Any ideas?

</font>
Wouldn't happen to be a Toshiba Libretto? I had pondered the idea a while back using one of them for MP3 playback. They were small enought to even mount in the center console, ran a P75 upto P233MMX, 128MB ram, and 8GB hard drive. As far as the controls, an RS232 interface would probably work well for this (as its likely your lil x86 box would have a parallel/serial port) along with a little custom coding. Also, a programmable RF remote control (like what's available from x-10.com) could also work well. Just some ideas, I dont personaly have the expertise to do such trickery, but it sounds like you might. BTW, you can find librettos on ebay starting around $200 (Libretto 50ct, 70ct, 110ct are some individual models, the 110 ct has a faster CPU, larger HD and larger active matrix display)

------------------
The Red Rocket

bone-stock, and now she's Dented and Miserable!
Old 02-09-2001, 12:09 AM
Racer

I actually just ordered an IRman

http://www.evation.com/irman/

so i can use any remote control to control the player.

Another question, do you think I could tap my audio signal directly into the amp? B/C from what i have read the in-line FM modulators

http://www.carplayer.com/cpm25/fmmod.html

loose sound quality. Any other ideas how to get sound to play on our stero? I might just have to try the FM mod and I dont want to use a cassette tape with wire out of it.

And it is just a home-made computer. Abit motherboard and some other spare parts that I have laying around.

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P

[This message has been edited by LarryB (edited 02-08-2001).]
Old 02-09-2001, 12:10 AM
Drifting

If you do it right you should be able to tap in to the factory amp and get awesome sound that way. You could probably make a switch that would allow you to flip from your head unit to the mp3 player. Completments of Shawn, here is what you need to start.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...525&a=10925906

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 02-09-2001, 12:11 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
If you do it right you should be able to tap in to the factory amp and get awesome sound that way. You could probably make a switch that would allow you to flip from your head unit to the mp3 player. Completments of Shawn, here is what you need to start.

</font>

Also by the way, I am also working on a mp3 player for the car using a laptop and some other cool gagets. I will be sure to post it all.
Old 02-09-2001, 12:15 AM
Racer

Webtoker...

do you know where i could find a book with all the wiring diagrams for the car?
What kind of book is scaned in the pictures you just posted?

also need help finding a way to get the wired lcd into the center console. Anyideas?

also where exactly is the amp located?

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P

[This message has been edited by LarryB (edited 02-08-2001).]
Old 02-09-2001, 12:17 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LarryB:
Webtoker...

do you know where i could find a book with all the wiring diagrams for the car?
What kind of book is scaned in the pictures you just posted?

also need help finding a way to get the wired lcd into the center console. Anyideas?

</font>
Well the book you need is the Helm book. I think a few guys on the board have them so you should be able to order one. I think they are lik 60 bucks but I am sure its worth the money.

About the LCD, do you have a NAVI?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 02-09-2001, 12:19 AM
Racer

No unfortunetly my parents bought me the car and they didnt think the navi was nessisary for a 17 year old. I guess i cant blame them. So I am going use the 40x4 lcd untill i find a way to mount a nice lcd.

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Old 02-09-2001, 08:56 PM
Racer

where exactly is the amp located?

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P