Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

Today was a good day. The dealer finished up my tranny replacement in just 4 days, and I headed out to pick up my car. I also planned on looking at the '03 CLS 6spd, '03 BMW 330Ci and the '03 Infiniti G35C.

First stop... The Acura dealer to pick up my car and drive the CLS 6spd.

The good...

The clutch on the 6spd is NICE. Engages nicely, with a great feel. The gearbox on the CLS 6spd was the best of the bunch. I loved the way I could row through the gears. The car is hands down completely different than my slushbox auto, and it's a good thing. Performance, the car is fast. It was scary to have all that power in 2nd gear. The car just wanted to pull. Fit n' finish of the car was as expected, great. Nothing flawed, exterior or interior.

The bad...

When pushed hard into corners, the stock setup on the CLS just couldn't handle the turns. Blame it on the shitty tires, lack of decent sways, or whatever you like but in stock form it performed the worse of the bunch. Body roll was evident, and became MORE profound when the car was really pushed.

BMW 330Ci 5spd

The good...

This car is just plain awesome. Awesome styling, and the car handles like it's on rails. The BMW dealer is just down the street from the Acura dealer, so I drove the exact same route as I did with the CLS, and the BMW would run laps around the CLS. Minimal body roll, and the STOCK sport package setup kept the car planted to the ground. Continually pushing the car in the turns, there was never a point I felt like I had to back off. RWD is nice...

The bad...

$42,570 for a 330Ci with Premium/Sport/Cold Weather/Xenons/18" wheels!!! BMW's gearbox was really different from the Acura's. While it was NICE, the throws are MUCH longer and spaced out. For some reason, I just couldn't make the 2nd to 3rd transition easily. Certainly I could get used to it, but it was tough in the time I had the car.

Infiniti G35C

The good...

Holy crap, the car is HOT. Silver/Black 6mt with aero package. Its SMOKIN!!! Fit and finish was excellent, and the Bremos and 18" Pilot Sports look dope! The interior is NICE, despite what others have said. It's NOT cheap, as it may LOOK to be. I think those whom have said it looks like crap, save judgment until you sit in the car. The styling is different from the CLS, but it's not bad at all. The Bose system sounds better in the G35C and I'm a big fan of the pod cluster design. The seats are wonderful in terms of support and comfort. I like the engagement point of the clutch.

The bad...

There's not much to say that's bad out this car. The gearbox is slightly "notchy", but it's certainly tolerable. Trunk space is the smallest of the group. Replacement summer tires will cost a small fortune due to their size.

I was fortunate enough to drive all three cars within a 3 hours, so it was truly a treat to be able to drive these cars. In the end, I'm really thinking about leaving my Acura problems behind and try out the Infiniti. The car is in stock, I can have it Monday and I can get my payment to be about $150.00/month (not a typo ). I'm pretty much sold on the idea, but I have tomorrow to really think about it. The Bimmer is nice, but costs a pretty penny to drive. The CLS is a kickass car, but it's just not on the same level as the 330Ci and G35C. The BMW and Infiniti dealer both asked me if I knew that the CLS was being discontinued and mentioned that the resale will only get even uglier. Whether the 6spd will be able to withstand the CLS demise remains to be seen.

So we'll see... It was a fun day. Monday could be really interesting.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the G35C.....it will be a nice change.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:05 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've driven all 3 too, but the manual was not out when I drove the G35. I agree with you except I was majorly disappointed in the acceleration of the 330Ci 5 speed. I felt like I was starting off in 3rd instead of 1st. I love the CLS 6speed with ontap speed in every gear. What did you think of the 330Ci acceleration? I can't believe it felt so slow. Otherwise I love the BMW for it's styling, interior is ok, but it did not seem worth the price, I'd rather have great acceleration than great handling, but I love the BMW style.
Am I missing something in the speed of the 330ci, it was the only other car I considered.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
wtf how did you get your payment so low? are you trading in your car for it?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
I've driven all 3 too, but the manual was not out when I drove the G35. I agree with you except I was majorly disappointed in the acceleration of the 330Ci 5 speed. I felt like I was starting off in 3rd instead of 1st. I love the CLS 6speed with ontap speed in every gear. What did you think of the 330Ci acceleration? I can't believe it felt so slow. Otherwise I love the BMW for it's styling, interior is ok, but it did not seem worth the price, I'd rather have great acceleration than great handling, but I love the BMW style.
Am I missing something in the speed of the 330ci?
I thought the performance of the 330Ci was just fine. I didn't really jump on it, but I didn't feel like the car was lacking horsepower. I dumped it a little off the line, and the car pulled great.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by 123456SPEED
Am I missing something in the speed of the 330ci, it was the only other car I considered.
lol i'm detecting a speed-problem with the bimmer

the 330 is slo to start, granted, but its not made to do burnouts...its made for the curves...and to look good in the parking lot
Old 05-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by bkknight369
wtf how did you get your payment so low? are you trading in your car for it?
Yeah that and a little cash out of my pocket.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

I would pick the g35c
Old 05-24-2003, 10:15 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

BKNIGHT you're exactly right, but I'd love to look good in it. The Bmw dealer had a loaded 02 5 speed and was dumping it for $33.9k. had 12k miles. They add on 2 years to warr and 100k miles. I'll have to drive another one someday. I'm addicted to the speed of the CLS, but I wanted the 330ci.
I love the look of the G35 too but it's not my type of car, felt way too small and not enough luxo. I know the 330 is a compact too.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Banned

Re: Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

Originally posted by Scrib
Today was a good day. The dealer finished up my tranny replacement in just 4 days, and I headed out to pick up my car. I also planned on looking at the '03 CLS 6spd, '03 BMW 330Ci and the '03 Infiniti G35C.

First stop... The Acura dealer to pick up my car and drive the CLS 6spd.

The good...

The clutch on the 6spd is NICE. Engages nicely, with a great feel. The gearbox on the CLS 6spd was the best of the bunch. I loved the way I could row through the gears. The car is hands down completely different than my slushbox auto, and it's a good thing. Performance, the car is fast. It was scary to have all that power in 2nd gear. The car just wanted to pull. Fit n' finish of the car was as expected, great. Nothing flawed, exterior or interior.

The bad...

When pushed hard into corners, the stock setup on the CLS just couldn't handle the turns. Blame it on the shitty tires, lack of decent sways, or whatever you like but in stock form it performed the worse of the bunch. Body roll was evident, and became MORE profound when the car was really pushed.

BMW 330Ci 5spd

The good...

This car is just plain awesome. Awesome styling, and the car handles like it's on rails. The BMW dealer is just down the street from the Acura dealer, so I drove the exact same route as I did with the CLS, and the BMW would run laps around the CLS. Minimal body roll, and the STOCK sport package setup kept the car planted to the ground. Continually pushing the car in the turns, there was never a point I felt like I had to back off. RWD is nice...

The bad...

$42,570 for a 330Ci with Premium/Sport/Cold Weather/Xenons/18" wheels!!! BMW's gearbox was really different from the Acura's. While it was NICE, the throws are MUCH longer and spaced out. For some reason, I just couldn't make the 2nd to 3rd transition easily. Certainly I could get used to it, but it was tough in the time I had the car.

Infiniti G35C

The good...

Holy crap, the car is HOT. Silver/Black 6mt with aero package. Its SMOKIN!!! Fit and finish was excellent, and the Bremos and 18" Pilot Sports look dope! The interior is NICE, despite what others have said. It's NOT cheap, as it may LOOK to be. I think those whom have said it looks like crap, save judgment until you sit in the car. The styling is different from the CLS, but it's not bad at all. The Bose system sounds better in the G35C and I'm a big fan of the pod cluster design. The seats are wonderful in terms of support and comfort. I like the engagement point of the clutch.

The bad...

There's not much to say that's bad out this car. The gearbox is slightly "notchy", but it's certainly tolerable. Trunk space is the smallest of the group. Replacement summer tires will cost a small fortune due to their size.

I was fortunate enough to drive all three cars within a 3 hours, so it was truly a treat to be able to drive these cars. In the end, I'm really thinking about leaving my Acura problems behind and try out the Infiniti. The car is in stock, I can have it Monday and I can get my payment to be about $150.00/month (not a typo ). I'm pretty much sold on the idea, but I have tomorrow to really think about it. The Bimmer is nice, but costs a pretty penny to drive. The CLS is a kickass car, but it's just not on the same level as the 330Ci and G35C. The BMW and Infiniti dealer both asked me if I knew that the CLS was being discontinued and mentioned that the resale will only get even uglier. Whether the 6spd will be able to withstand the CLS demise remains to be seen.

So we'll see... It was a fun day. Monday could be really interesting.
nice review! like me, it looks like you've fallen in love with the G!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my car, and as you know, after better tires and sways it's a world of difference. I'm not planning on retiring it at least until the next decade. I just drove some tight twistys today and it was sooooo fun. There's nothing as good as powering out of a turn in revving VTEC in 2nd...

That being said, if I was in the market like you, for the same reasons as you are, I'd be hard pressed to spend the money for the six speed CL-S unless the deal was really good. I'd probably want to transition into something new & different -- so I understand the draw of the G35C. I wouldn't go to BMW -- I think every BMW apart from the M1 or Z8 (OK -maybe a couple others) are WAY overrated and therefore inappropriately priced.

FWIW - For my next car I'll probably go to a dedicated two seater sports car/coupe à la Porsche. Of course that's in a different price group/car class. I was rooting for you in the S2K thread.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:34 PM
CL 6 speeder

Call me nuts but I like the CL6. Guess driving ergonomics (like a nice smooth transmission ) are very important to me.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Homeless

Scrib...sounds like a good choice.

Keep us posted. I too am interested in the G35.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
How much was the G35 going for? Was it that much cheaper then the 330?
Old 05-25-2003, 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
wow great writeup!! I agree with the gear box in the 330. I had problems with going from 2nd to 3rd all the time, but once you get the short shifter, then its smooth as hell

g35 is one sexy car for sure. Cant go wrong either way man!! But shit, for $150 a month... get the g35!!
But you cant come to any bmw meets anymore. J/K

And for those who said the 330 feels slow.. then i guess that means your Auto CLS is slow too... :P I do know that my TL Type-S FELT faster due to the sound of vtec kicking in. Personally i think its all in your head. The 330 and CLS are same as far as speed goes. But the CLS SOUNDS faster with the roar, maybe thats why it feels faster to you guys... ?
Old 05-25-2003, 12:29 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

I don't know about the auto CLS. I got right out of my 6 speed CLS and into the 330CI 5 speed, and it felt slow compared to my daily driver, a 6 speed (with a clutch pedal) CL-S. I never consider automatics, don't like em, don't drive em if I don't have to. Well, maybe to drive my Mom around in her Buick, but that's it.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:36 AM
///M POWER

i driven all 3 before, but all autos,

i usualy dont take corners too hard so the cl-s is still my fav
Old 05-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
funnny now that I think of it but when the G35 1st came out almost everyone here said it was fugly LOL...same with the Z (i even said the Z was ugly). It's cool how designs settle in with people. Makes me think if you don't have to get used to a new car's looks, it might get old and booring pretty quick. Anywayss, i'm drunk and this has been a drunken observartion. Happy pre memporial day.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:11 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by synth19
How much was the G35 going for? Was it that much cheaper then the 330?
G35C 6mt - Silver/Black/Premium/aero: 35.6K

330Ci 5mt - Steel Gray/Black/Premium/Sport/Cold Weather/Xenon/18" wheels and tires: 42.5K

7K is enough to steer me towards the G.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

LOL......... I had a friend back in Nov that was going to get the Z, I totally hated it and told her NOT to get it.....I thought it was so ugly... She ended up loosing her job @ didnt get it. When she finds out that now I got the Z she is going to kill me! LOL

Originally posted by zeroday
funnny now that I think of it but when the G35 1st came out almost everyone here said it was fugly LOL...same with the Z (i even said the Z was ugly). It's cool how designs settle in with people. Makes me think if you don't have to get used to a new car's looks, it might get old and booring pretty quick. Anywayss, i'm drunk and this has been a drunken observartion. Happy pre memporial day.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Damn.......go for the G then, if you trade in your car, then you will probably get taxed on the balance....around 1200-1500k? So about maybe 37k out the door for the G.....good deal! But they had one in stock for you???? At least in Chicago, when I was looking at the G35c's, ALL of them were presold up to Aug! The only way I could get one was to order (with Aug delivery). They did have an auto in the lot though.. But, I wanted a MT with Navi......

G35C 6mt - Silver/Black/Premium/aero: 35.6K

330Ci 5mt - Steel Gray/Black/Premium/Sport/Cold Weather/Xenon/18" wheels and tires: 42.5K

7K is enough to steer me towards the G.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

get the G
Old 05-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I have to make a decision today... With the car being in stock, it's that much omre tempting. Trading the car in will save me $1500 buck in taxes, and I'll another $1000 when I cash out my extended warranty.

The wife LOVES the G, but she's not all that crazy about the manny tranny. She's just concerned she'll never be able to learn.

SHIT!!! I need to talk to the wife and get the final word. Looks promising though.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by synth19
Damn.......go for the G then, if you trade in your car, then you will probably get taxed on the balance....around 1200-1500k? So about maybe 37k out the door for the G.....good deal! But they had one in stock for you???? At least in Chicago, when I was looking at the G35c's, ALL of them were presold up to Aug! The only way I could get one was to order (with Aug delivery). They did have an auto in the lot though.. But, I wanted a MT with Navi......
Yep, they got ONE. Silver/Black 6mt. NOT sold. I couldn't believe it. There was someone looking at it just prior to me, and evidently two people came in after me to look at it.

But at closing yesterday, the car is still there. Otherwise, it would be July/August to get one.

12 miles on the clock. And I put on two of them.

Shit shit shit... Need...to...decide...WTF...I'm...going...to...do.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Advanced

RX8

Has anyone considered the new Mazda RX8. I just saw X-men 2 and the RX8 init looked sweet. I have a 6 speed CLS and the worrys of residual Value.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro

All good points mentioned but with a few simple modifications such as springs - different tires, and sways the CL-S 6 speed is transformed into a new car
Old 05-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by 6speedctrlfreak
All good points mentioned but with a few simple modifications such as springs - different tires, and sways the CL-S 6 speed is transformed into a new car
Very true...
Old 05-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: RX8

Originally posted by Quincy
Has anyone considered the new Mazda RX8. I just saw X-men 2 and the RX8 init looked sweet. I have a 6 speed CLS and the worrys of residual Value.
if i were looking into another coupe the rx8 would be it!!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Banned

I have to make a decision today... With the car being in stock, it's that much omre tempting. Trading the car in will save me $1500 buck in taxes, and I'll another $1000 when I cash out my extended warranty.

The wife LOVES the G, but she's not all that crazy about the manny tranny. She's just concerned she'll never be able to learn.

SHIT!!! I need to talk to the wife and get the final word. Looks promising though.
how about a G35C auto? (for the wifey)!
Old 05-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by ReVaHoLiC
how about a G35C auto? (for the wifey)!
:ghey:

I teach her how to drive the manual tranny.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Scrib: Tell your wife that if she can handle a manual transmission competently, we in the aviation community consider her to be sufficiently competent to fly airplanes. Really. Just teach her in a big, empty parking lot.

This reminds me of a funny story. On 11/30/02, I had owned my new CLS6 for less than an hour. I was still carefully feeling the thing out, regarding launches and such, being gentle.

I had about 25 miles on the odo, and I stopped by a friend who lives two blocks away, a real gearhead who throws untold amounts of money at his whatever year Pontiac Fiero, hoping he can get the thing to 200 hp. I tell him "just go buy an RSX-S, and you have what you want." Some people do not listen.

Anyway, his wife is a knockout, and likes fast cars, so, I take her for a ride as her hubby is all greasy from fixing the Fiero (again).

After a few miles, knockout asks to drive the car. OK, WTF. She DOES possess a commercial drivers liscense, and her car is a manual shift newer Camaro.

We swap seats. Knockout, not used to "no slack" in the clutch (she "expected a couple of inches of free play") kills the car.

Embaressment follows, on her part. Didn't bother me a bit.

To recover, she depresses the clutch, restarts the car, gives the thing enough throttle to push the tach to 5 GRAND and dumps the clutch! The wheelhopping and wheelspinning launch across route 14 was impressive indeed!
Old 05-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Daily Driver

Scrib,

Sounds like you're talking yourself into the G, I say go for it. The beemer is overpriced, and the only real advantages of the CL-S6 over the G35C6 are the trunk space, smoother transmission/softer clutch, and $6-$7K difference. Everything else performance wise, stock for stock, the G is going to take the CL-S and probably even the 330.

If they're willing to cut you a good deal, I'd drive the G outta there right now!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

but but isnt the 7k more for the 330 worth it, i mean after all you can be cool like me :o

We could have been brothers
Old 05-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

The BMW and Infiniti dealer both asked me if I knew that the CLS was being discontinued and mentioned that the resale will only get even uglier.
I beg to differ.. but that is just my .02

Smitty
Old 05-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
but but isnt the 7k more for the 330 worth it, i mean after all you can be cool like me :o

We could have been brothers

Now you've made me feel like shit.

Thanks man!

:P
Old 05-25-2003, 08:41 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
i personally don't feel the bmw is overpriced. They are built very solidly, inside and out;using top notch materials. That costs money. Gives the car a different feel than other makes. I used to have a z3, and that thing felt like it was carved out of stone; totally solid. Never had a squeak or rattle either.

My only problem with BMW is the stigma that goes along with the name. Hard to explain it, but I guess people look at you like you're a rich prick or something because of the car. Anyway, it wasn't for me I guess.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Re: Re: Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

Originally posted by Smitty
I beg to differ.. but that is just my .02

Smitty
I wonder if they have a crystal ball??? it's been pretty ugly for the '01 and '02 models early on for resale. I can attest to that.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:57 PM
__

Originally posted by zeroday
........I used to have a z3, and that thing felt like it was carved out of stone; totally solid. Never had a squeak or rattle either......
and it was made in America!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:00 PM
The Liquidator

Scrib...why dont u consider the Sti also? it lacks a lil luxury tho...but if thats not important...get it..
I saw my first sti yesterday. It was black. Looked sweet....and sounded Awesome.

PH
Old 05-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

I wonder if they have a crystal ball??? it's been pretty ugly for the '01 and '02 models early on for resale. I can attest to that.
maybe you should keep your CLS as a classic car. Maybe it will be worth lots in a few years cuz they are soo hard to find

Thats like saying Cameros are gonna have high resale values since they arent made anymore

And yes, BMW owners are pricks

Quick Reply: Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...