Car stalled at red light?!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car stalled at red light?!!

I was sitting at a red light this morning and thought to myself, man this engine is quiet... I can't even hear it running!!! Light turns green I lift of the break and hit the gas and roll slightly backwards! WTF??? My car stalled... no wonder it sounded so quiet. I was really embarassed and I quickly put it in park and started her up. At the next few red lights (only a few seconds later) I noticed it was still having trouble idling... I could tell it almost stalled out a couple times. After that it was fine.

Anyone ever have this happen? I can't think of anything that could have caused it... temps in the mid 40's, ive been on the same tank of gas for the past few days with no problems. Nothing else has changed? Whats up?

Old 03-27-2001, 04:41 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you lose power? Did you have to reset your nav/radio codes?

It could be one of the battery's terminal cable get disconnect.

Last Sunday, I lost power twice. But, It was me who disconnected my battery when I installed my CAI.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards
- Winter mats
- Trunk liner
- Acura Spoiler
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
Old 03-27-2001, 05:07 PM
Racer

Nope, no loss of power. The engine just cut off!
Old 03-27-2001, 05:17 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

maybe your ECU crashed! and the engine got shut off for auto-safety..., just maybe.

------------------
- Acura NAV.
- Wheels locks
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards
- Winter mats
- Trunk liner
- Acura Spoiler
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
Old 03-27-2001, 05:21 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
Did you lose power? Did you have to reset your nav/radio codes?

It could be one of the battery's terminal cable get disconnect.

Last Sunday, I lost power twice. But, It was me who disconnected my battery when I installed my CAI.

</font>
Ummm......no. A disconnected battery would not cause the car to stall or lose any type of electrical function. The battery is there to supply power when the generator/alternator is not running. Once the car is started, all power comes from the generator/alterantor.......lol.

------------------
-Phin
www.generationinformation.com
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 03-27-2001, 05:26 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Let be clearer. The car just refused to start. It had the battery cable loose.

------------------
- Acura NAV.
- Wheels locks
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards
- Winter mats
- Trunk liner
- Acura Spoiler
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
Old 03-27-2001, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Did u recently put an intake or something?? cause onetime in my old car I didn't tighten the intake pipe all the way and my car stalled. Hey you in NOVA too.
your going to come to the meet right??

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-27-2001, 05:47 PM
Racer

Nah... I haven't done any mods. Who knows, hopefully it was a fluke type thing. If it happens again ill take it into the dealership. As far as the meet goes, Yah I think I am going to try and make an appearance. I really wanna check out AC's new m3. Did we decide on a firm date yet?

Old 03-27-2001, 05:47 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't think the computer would have done it, it should have an automatic keep going operation in case of trouble. I would more suspect bad gas? How much was in your tank when it happened?

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 03-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Racer

Yah, ive been wondering about the gas too. I always buy from this same exxon that is consistantly lower priced than everyone else. Their premium price is $1.63 a gallon all week long (not just on super thursday or whatever) Im starting to wonder if this price is so low for a reason. Anyhow... I have about a half tank of the gas left, but like I said I pretty much always buy from this place and have never had the problem before.
Old 03-27-2001, 05:58 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't expect an impurity to show up at half a tank, more like the last gallon or two. Sounds like a job for Colombo..

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 10-16-2001, 02:54 PM
Racer

MORE STALLING :(

Grrr... well my car stalled again today at a red light and did the same thing a few weeks ago so that makes 3 total since I bought it a year ago. Both times this has happened recently it was within 5 minutes of starting the car up on my way to work in the AM. Also I think both times my car had lots of dew/condensation on it, but that probably doesn't matter. At any rate I guess its time to have the dealership take a look at it. Im still curious if anyone else has had this sort of problem?
Old 10-16-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have your dealer check out the electrical part of the ignition switch. We had 2 TLs that did this very thing and we found bad ignition switches on both these cars. Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

I had the same type of problem on my previous car. When it started it was always within the first few minutes of driving. The dealer told me it was the throttle sensor just in front of the manifold. Two months later the computer caught fire. After a while of it stalling at stop signs the only way I could keep it running was to put fuel injector cleaner in every time I filled up. Was it a sensor problem, fuel problem or computer problem?!? The cleaner kept it from stalling all the time. But, when the computer finally went out and I put in a new one the problem went away. For what it's worth.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:25 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
I have had this happen to me several times in my CL-S...
it always happened after I had started the car while it was still warm...my mechanic explainted to me as the ECU dumping too much fuel into the motor when it's warm and starting, thus causing the problem....
Old 10-16-2001, 03:42 PM
Advanced

I have this same EXACT problem!

it actually happens quite often...

#1 ... go and get your trany fluid changed... that helped out a lot for me... I've got 35k on mine and I've changed oil once at 20k and again at 30k.

#2 ... I noticed that the car is not giving enough gas to keep the car in gear... just like a stick... so I leave the climate control on auto at 72 all the time... this has kept my car from stalling a few times.

#3 ... keep an eye on it... you'll see the rpm beging to dip little by little and your car will begin to rattle a little before it dies... quick... give it some gas!!! and turn on your ac

this happens whether I've been driving the car for 3 hours or I just turned it on... it happens it cold and warm weather... it seems to happen when I drive like insane and come to a quick stop... and it also happens when I baby the car and keep the rpm between 2-3k in every gear...

this just happend to my yesterday after my oil change even... I was babying it AND I had the ac on... I saw it begin to dip then my ac kicked in and the rpm stablized at the normal ~800 idle mark.

my car is FULLY stock... I've only put in a K&N air filter specific to cl-s, and I've put on 18's with s-03 tires.

these could be signs that the tranny is going bad I think... I reproted it to my dealer twice already... I'm going to tell them every time I go for oil change so they have it in their records!... make sure they note it. So when it dies on you, they'll see you were'nt lying.

I'm hoping mine dies in time so maybe they can drop a 6speed tranny from 02 cl-s?... not sure if it would fit and all though.

Thanks,
Ramiel
Old 10-16-2001, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

My cl-s stalled once at a light too but it was my stupid stereo installers fault. He tapped the REM for my amp to my ignition fuse and stuck a metal piece inbetween teh fuse and the plug. so when i took the metal piece out the fuse was loose so at a stoplight my fuse fell out and i lost power to my ignition causing it to stall.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:33 PM
hater

One of my many problems...

Idle drops below 700? Car starts to shimmy like it's going to die? You REALLY want believe it's electircal, right? It took THREE visits to figure this one out. It was a component called the AIR IDLE VALVE. Mention this and see if they even know what you're talking about