Before I start tearing stuff up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Jesus is my hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I start tearing stuff up...

I'm trying to install my blitz adapter to the stock unit for use with the XM commander. I got the controller installed in the sunglass holder but I'm not sure where to start in getting to the back of the radio.

So before I start pulling and yanking and stuff, I thought I'd ask. As you can see I've already started with the glove box, but that just doesn't seem right and plus there is a hidden screw on the bottom left that I can't reach. I put numbers on the picture so maybe someone could tell me the "take off" order? And tell me if it just pops off or if there are hidden screws. Thanks guys.

At least I got this far!

Old 03-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
To install anything in the radio, you need to remove the radio.

It should look like this:
Old 03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Adventurist.

You cannot access the radio by taking the glove compartment out. As you can see, there is a nice steel bracket holding and blocking everything.

You're taking apart the wrong things.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Jesus is my hero

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
You cannot access the radio by taking the glove compartment out. As you can see, there is a nice steel bracket holding and blocking everything.

You're taking apart the wrong things.
OMG. I consider myself a DIY'er but maybe I shouldn't attempt this. Can you tell me where to start?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Adventurist.

Here you go:
http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf
Old 03-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Jesus is my hero

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Oh man...you rock!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Old&CnL

Console Removal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got an excellent tip on a link for the console removal-

http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_pag...ter_console.htm

but it left out a key instruction, so I thought I would share it- any time you work with plastic snap components, unless it's July in Florida, run the heater to warm the interior up to 80 or 90 degrees. In cold weather, the snaps are brittle, and you may ruin a very expensive piece of trim.

C-niLe

PS- There are also two bolts holding the OBD plug that aren't mentioned.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Jesus is my hero

Originally Posted by us000011
Console Removal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got an excellent tip on a link for the console removal-

http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_pag...ter_console.htm

but it left out a key instruction, so I thought I would share it- any time you work with plastic snap components, unless it's July in Florida, run the heater to warm the interior up to 80 or 90 degrees. In cold weather, the snaps are brittle, and you may ruin a very expensive piece of trim.

C-niLe

PS- There are also two bolts holding the OBD plug that aren't mentioned.
Awesome! Thx C! I'm gonna attempt it tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Old&CnL

Estimated time start to finish- 3 hours if by yourself. While you're in there, you may want to install the cigarette lighter kit, which provides illumination for the coin holder/ashtray when opened. It replaces the power outlet and short harness. Costs around 20 bucks online or at your dealer. Everybody hates the coin holder. Found 2 quarters and a penny in the console.

Be really careful with the silver shift gate plate- it scratches very easily.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Racer

You don't even have to go as far as taking out the whole center and radio. if you have a small hand you just need to take off the decreative wood trim off both sides of the console. then remove the center console. there are 4 screws in the bottom after you take that little piece of carpet out, and two where it attaches to the shift gate area. Then unscrew the passenger side panel which is like 3-4 screws and pull it out towards the rear of the vehicle. now you can see the back of the radio slightly where the plug must go. it is blue also like the adapter. You can just squeeze your hand in there to plug it in. Good Luck. By the way I put my xm commander in the same place but cut most of the holder to be a custom job. Will be doing alittle fiberglass work to finish it off this summer.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Jesus is my hero

Originally Posted by us000011
Estimated time start to finish- 3 hours if by yourself. While you're in there, you may want to install the cigarette lighter kit, which provides illumination for the coin holder/ashtray when opened. It replaces the power outlet and short harness. Costs around 20 bucks online or at your dealer. Everybody hates the coin holder. Found 2 quarters and a penny in the console.

Be really careful with the silver shift gate plate- it scratches very easily.
Good advice. Does that cig kit still let me plug in my radar detector? So it has a light on it?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Jesus is my hero

Originally Posted by Louie11
You don't even have to go as far as taking out the whole center and radio. if you have a small hand you just need to take off the decreative wood trim off both sides of the console. then remove the center console. there are 4 screws in the bottom after you take that little piece of carpet out, and two where it attaches to the shift gate area. Then unscrew the passenger side panel which is like 3-4 screws and pull it out towards the rear of the vehicle. now you can see the back of the radio slightly where the plug must go. it is blue also like the adapter. You can just squeeze your hand in there to plug it in. Good Luck. By the way I put my xm commander in the same place but cut most of the holder to be a custom job. Will be doing alittle fiberglass work to finish it off this summer.
Thanks Louie. I want run an additional RCA cable to the storage compartment so I can connect an MP3 player later. I'm just gonna use Y cables off of the blitz adapter and run it under the console so I may have to remove everything. I'll probably have to turn off the XM when using another device but not a big deal. Any of you guys done this? So Louie where did you mount your XM control box? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my XM control box in the center console, next to the # 2 item in your picture, of course on the inside of it. You should consider an RCA toggle switch to toggle between the XM and the mp3 player you're considering.

My sunglass tray was cut on my car so that all the lower buttons could be seen and used.

Where are you planning on installing the antenna? You can put it above the sunglass tray. I used some tape to get it to stick and then just screwed the tray back up. There are definately some signal problems with this, but I believe some are XM problems, not my antenna placement.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Jesus is my hero

Originally Posted by anothercls
You should consider an RCA toggle switch to toggle between the XM and the mp3 player you're considering.

My sunglass tray was cut on my car so that all the lower buttons could be seen and used.

Where are you planning on installing the antenna? .
I thought about the toggle switch but I'm not sure where I'd put it because the one's I've seen are huge. I velcro'd the antenna to the inside of the windshield directlly under where the rearview mirror attaches and ran the wire the same way as I did the controller. I may have to move it if there are reception problems.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you'll have too many reception problems. Mine goes out in wierd areas, near tree lines or when there is nothing around for miles, noticed this on a drive to IL.