AEM EMS Speedo and RPM fix

AEM EMS2 6051

Speedo Fix:

First:

Second:
Unplug the upper plug and let it chill
Unplug the lower plug and plug it into the upper sensor

If you have a 1998-2002 accord v6 this rpm fix is for you:

For the rpm fix the ems is designed for civics so it is calibrated for the 4cyl cluster. What I did to get the correct reading on the ems was just swap out my v6 accord cluster for a 4cyl accord cluster.

Important tip:
NEVER MESS WITH THE AUTO TRANSMISSION RANGE SWITCH when the ems is plugged in. It fries a resistor in the ems. This means you cant wire up the reverse lights to the range switch. When you plug in the ems the reverse lights will always be on. The only solution is to just disconnect the plug for the bulbs.

Hope this helps everybody. Thanks for reading and have fun!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
What swap do you have? Auto j32 with manual tranny in 6th gen accord?

I doubt anyone with a 2nd gen cl is running the ems. I have yet to see it.

A DIY on how to get it to work on the manual motor would be of great help.

You should post on j swap forums if you havnt already.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
^ Yea he said but thanks keep us updated
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed

People looking for a tuning solution really should be running it. Its the only way as of now to do so. How to get it to work on the manual motor, thats easy. Swap the engine harness to the Auto harness, Get the Crank position sensor and gear from the auto and get the front cam and 2 ckp sensors.
The following users liked this post:
brian6speed (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an auto j32 with a manual tranny in a 6th gen accord. fsttyms1 is correct. The ems is made only for an auto motor with a manual transmission. So you have to convert the manual motor to an auto motor by swapping the stuff he said

Last edited by JohnsonCG; 01-18-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
People looking for a tuning solution really should be running it. Its the only way as of now to do so. How to get it to work on the manual motor, thats easy. Swap the engine harness to the Auto harness, Get the Crank position sensor and gear from the auto and get the front cam and 2 ckp sensors.
I think civic mentioned to me that him and Paul were working on a solution that wouldn't require you to do all that. I think he said something about modifying the internals of the ems but they might have given up since he dsnt care about cl anymore.

But what do I know.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
I think civic mentioned to me that him and Paul were working on a solution that wouldn't require you to do all that. I think he said something about modifying the internals of the ems but they might have given up since he dsnt care about cl anymore.

But what do I know.
Correct, and not much modding what so ever. Simply take the two boards of the EMS out of the shell, carefully separate them, and move the jumper over. Its clearly labelled MAG and HALL for the sensor set. No need to swap any engine harnesses. This will void the AEM warranty though.

You will however need a jumper harness for the ECU plugs. Which is no biggie. RPM read steady on the CL-S6 gauge cluster too. The exhaust is quiet, but look at the computer towards the end, its running.

Video, might open in a pop up:

AEM does not mention anything about the jumper, as they technically dont support running the 6MT harness, nor do they want to. They have the system setup for the auto crank gear reading, and dont want to incorporate the 6MT. So in that video, the car is reading off of the bellhousing mounted crank sensor. The a/c kicks the IACV on just as stock too, using one of the EMS' inputs to read when the clutch kicks on. The only thing that doesnt currently work is the temp gauge, because the temp sensor on the motor sends the reading through the ECU then to the cluster. Haven't looked into it, nor do we plan on it since Im moving onto an Accord (which sends the temp sensor reading directly to the gauges).

Last edited by civicdrivr; 01-20-2013 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brian6speed (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Lone Wolf

That sounds promising. I was going to use an aftermarket temp gauge anyway. What jumper harness would you need?

So you are still planning an accord sedan build? I thought you had given up.

Last edited by brian6speed; 01-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM

That sounds promising. I was going to use an aftermarket temp gauge anyway. What jumper harness would you need?

So you are still planning an accord sedan build? I thought you had given up.
The jumper is a one-off.

Nope, still getting out of the CL. I entertained another project but its not logical for a daily, though it would be insanely unique and pretty damn fast.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
03 acura cl type s

This will be my final mod. I keep lying to myself lol
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Membistered Regember

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Windows XP based god
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM
03 acura cl type s

Originally Posted by JohnsonCG
I have an auto j32 with a manual tranny in a 6th gen accord. fsttyms1 is correct. The ems is made only for an auto motor with a manual transmission. So you have to convert the manual motor to an auto motor by swapping the stuff he said
This IMO would be the best & cheapest for those converting to manual
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Correct, and not much modding what so ever. Simply take the two boards of the EMS out of the shell, carefully separate them, and move the jumper over. Its clearly labelled MAG and HALL for the sensor set. No need to swap any engine harnesses. This will void the AEM warranty though.

You will however need a jumper harness for the ECU plugs. Which is no biggie. RPM read steady on the CL-S6 gauge cluster too. The exhaust is quiet, but look at the computer towards the end, its running.

AEM does not mention anything about the jumper, as they technically dont support running the 6MT harness, nor do they want to. They have the system setup for the auto crank gear reading, and dont want to incorporate the 6MT. So in that video, the car is reading off of the bellhousing mounted crank sensor. The a/c kicks the IACV on just as stock too, using one of the EMS' inputs to read when the clutch kicks on. The only thing that doesnt currently work is the temp gauge, because the temp sensor on the motor sends the reading through the ECU then to the cluster. Haven't looked into it, nor do we plan on it since Im moving onto an Accord (which sends the temp sensor reading directly to the gauges).
This to me is a problem as it limits you to use the CL-S6 trans and clutch. For those looking to do the swap, and wanting to use the TL 6 trans, or a cl-s6 wanting to use a different flywheel you cant as it doesnt have/read off the flywheel sensor.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 01-31-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
This to me is a problem as it limits you to use the CL-S6 trans and clutch. For those looking to do the swap, and wanting to use the TL 6 trans, or a cl-s6 wanting to use a different flywheel you cant as it doesnt have/read off the flywheel sensor.
Correct me if Im wrong with my line of thinking, but for those using a TL6 tranny or a non CLS-6 flywheel would typically be running the auto harness and sensor set, so the method posted above doesnt apply. BUT - We did send a 6MT crank gear in to AEM for them to measure and incorporate into the software. That was over a year ago though, so the likelihood of anything coming of it is slim. Its my understanding that its just a config change though.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Correct me if Im wrong with my line of thinking, but for those using a TL6 tranny or a non CLS-6 flywheel would typically be running the auto harness and sensor set, so the method posted above doesnt apply. BUT - We did send a 6MT crank gear in to AEM for them to measure and incorporate into the software. That was over a year ago though, so the likelihood of anything coming of it is slim. Its my understanding that its just a config change though.
Not necessarily, If you already own a CL-s6 and would like to be able to use the aem would probably like to not have to be stuck with the limited flywheels available out there. It would just be more convenient if the software was able to be used with both auto and manual