Acura Navigation (DVD Based) vs. Aftermarket Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 03:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Navigation (DVD Based) vs. Aftermarket Navigation

I'm planning on buying a 2001 3.2CL Type-S within the next week (I'm deciding between a few I've found so far, so if you have one for sale, email me ASAP so I can take a look at it), and I was wondering how well the Acura Navigation works. Am I better off getting a car with it stock, or should I get one without the Navigation option and install an aftermarket unit with the money I save. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:07 AM
Suzuka Master

yes get stock. not getting a navi is one of the biggest regrets.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:18 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it.

On a used CLS, navigation adds about 400-1200 to the book value (depending on where you look.)

I don't think you could get a good aftermarket nav system for that much.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:26 AM
Where is my super sauce?

The Acura Navigation System is quite nice, works well, and looks good in the dash.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:46 AM
2002 CLs w/Navi

nothing compairs to OEM factory. Get it, even if you don't need it.......you will wish you did later down the road.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:58 AM
do it yourself, !

Can you change the headunit on a NAV car and still keep all it's functions? From what I was told and researched when I bought the car, you couldnt change the headunit...and that it would be a bitch to change out the speakers and keep the NAV functions functioning.

Things may have changed now..but my decision was based on the radio and speakers because I knew I'd swap them out right away.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

acura's navi system is suppose to be one of the best, if not THE best on the market, with its simpliticity, egonomics and other such factors... with that said it STILL does give u the run arounds when the actual ACT OF NAVIGATING is concerned.

It wont necessarily give u the shortest or the most logical direction (sometimes it'll make u go around in circles when ur destination RIGHT bLooDY THERE!) so its best to use it as an assumption tool. Just to get an idear of where ur going, not EXACTLY how to get there.

But the navi screen on the dash does look pretty sweet
Old 07-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by shaHn78
acura's navi system is suppose to be one of the best, if not THE best on the market, with its simpliticity, egonomics and other such factors... with that said it STILL does give u the run arounds when the actual ACT OF NAVIGATING is concerned.

It wont necessarily give u the shortest or the most logical direction (sometimes it'll make u go around in circles when ur destination RIGHT bLooDY THERE!) so its best to use it as an assumption tool. Just to get an idear of where ur going, not EXACTLY how to get there.

But the navi screen on the dash does look pretty sweet
Common sense is always necessary when using a computer to compute a course of travel. I like that there are several course computing modes (easy route; direct route; avoid freeways...) and that the thing will recalculate the course if you decide to use your brain and not follow what it thinks to the 'T'.

After all, you are driving the car - the navigation system just gives advice.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:14 PM
whoXwanXsum

oooooooooo yea u must get the navi. its always good to get a car fully loaded, u can flex on the non navi boys at a meet!
Old 07-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Originally posted by Slimey
Common sense is always necessary when using a computer to compute a course of travel. I like that there are several course computing modes (easy route; direct route; avoid freeways...) and that the thing will recalculate the course if you decide to use your brain and not follow what it thinks to the 'T'.

After all, you are driving the car - the navigation system just gives advice.
Uhmmm... if we're NOT suppose to follow it to the T then why does it bother to tell us exactly when and where to make turns ? Why does it tell u exactly how many feet there are between u and the street ur SUPPOSE to to turn on ? Why does it show the blue outline which leads to the destination ?

If we're suppose to use our common sense and use the navi as an "adviser" like U say, then why bother having it at all??

Heck i'll just look it up on a $4.25 map and get an idea of where i'm suppose to go instead of wasting $2000 on a navi which is outdated and 3/10 gives u the run around

BTW - i KNOW i'm driving the car, but the FIRST job of the navi is to direct u in the right direction and if it cant do that then it defeats the entire purpose of buying it. And i'm sure enough ppl on this board will agree that the navi HAS mislead them ATLEAST ONCE.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I found out that Microsoft Street 2000 has better routes for shortest and fastest. Acura's loves the HW. Each time you ask for a direct route it gets you to the highway sometime it takes 30
miles where MS Street would find a 20 miles direct way!

There is a lot of imprvement that can be made in the Navigation department of the NAVI ( like shortest, fastest, HW, no-HW, scenic, etc....) And Acura's NAV microporcessor is damn slow!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
I found out that Microsoft Street 2000 has better routes for shortest and fastest. Acura's loves the HW. Each time you ask for a direct route it gets you to the highway sometime it takes 30
miles where MS Street would find a 20 miles direct way!

There is a lot of imprvement that can be made in the Navigation department of the NAVI ( like shortest, fastest, HW, no-HW, scenic, etc....) And Acura's NAV microporcessor is damn slow!!!

boy! if u think acura's processor is slow try using a navi on a bmw or lexus . ON A CD!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:11 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS

boy! if u think acura's processor is slow try using a navi on a bmw or lexus . ON A CD!!!
lexus's is DVD based now, its actually very fast, has more coverage then ours, and the user interface is prettier.

ours is still the most useable... very efficient design.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:17 PM
The Quite One

Originally posted by langjae
Can you change the headunit on a NAV car and still keep all it's functions? From what I was told and researched when I bought the car, you couldnt change the headunit...and that it would be a bitch to change out the speakers and keep the NAV functions functioning.

Things may have changed now..but my decision was based on the radio and speakers because I knew I'd swap them out right away.
The only thing you loose on the navi if you remove the factory headunit it the voice. I'm working on away to keep the navi voice with an after market headunit.

Just my .02, but the navi is worth the money!!!

Matthew
Old 07-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Smitty02CLs
nothing compairs to OEM factory. Get it, even if you don't need it.......you will wish you did later down the road.
Yup!

Acura OEM Navi (made for Acura by Apline) is the best I've seen yet. Excellent user interface that's very intuitive. I have yet to see another OEM come close to being as good. And I've played with Garmins (aftermarket), BMW's OEM, Land Rovers OEM, Mercedes OEM and of course the "Hertz Ever-Lost system" All of my friends whom own the other systems love mine, and bitch about theirs. (Accept the hertz system of course, I used that in Virginia, OMG what a POS)

Aftermarket units are good, but not nearly as user friendly.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:16 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
yes get stock. not getting a navi is one of the biggest regrets.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by shaHn78 Uhmmm... if we're NOT suppose to follow it to the T then why does it bother to tell us exactly when and where to make turns ? Why does it tell u exactly how many feet there are between u and the street ur SUPPOSE to to turn on ? Why does it show the blue outline which leads to the destination ?
It's accurate as you say, but its based on the maps in its database, not on the current conditions of the road. Of course it's not going to have the foresight to know that one street is a faster ride then another, it's not going to predict construction, it's not going to know a priori if you would prefer to make two lefts as opposed to two rights. But it does give you the option to teach it if you want. It's quite easy to review the turn by turn directions and map of the couse and alter as you please.
Originally posted by shaHn78 If we're suppose to use our common sense and use the navi as an "adviser" like U say, then why bother having it at all??
I would suggest you do everthing your Navigation unit tells you then. Life may very well be easier for you if you don't engage any thinking whilst on the road.
Originally posted by shaHn78 Heck i'll just look it up on a $4.25 map and get an idea of where i'm suppose to go instead of wasting $2000 on a navi which is outdated and 3/10 gives u the run around
I suggest you buy a map. They're fun to fold and unfold; they're fun to use while driving. Your $4.25 will be well spent.
Originally posted by shaHn78 BTW - i KNOW i'm driving the car, but the FIRST job of the navi is to direct u in the right direction and if it cant do that then it defeats the entire purpose of buying it. And i'm sure enough ppl on this board will agree that the navi HAS mislead them ATLEAST ONCE.
The Navigator has yet to let me down. I've never had it send me to the wrong place. Maybe you need a tutorial on how to use the thing - there's a manual in your glove box.

:shakehd: :shakehd:
Old 07-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

I regret not getting it..

Sometimes, it's not just the directions.. but the location of an ATM or a gas station of your choice really helps out as well..

Now that I know about the Nav-DVD conversion.. I regret it even more..
Old 07-10-2002, 06:21 PM
whoXwanXsum

i have used the lexus navi and im happy to say i like acuras much better. the girls voice even sounds wayyyyyy better and DOESNT look better, bigger screen yes but not nicer looking.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:06 PM
Advanced

The other advantage with the navi is the phone numbers it provides. I've used this feature both in town and travelling when I want to call a restaurant, movie theatres, etc.

And regarding navi's in other cars -- I haven't used the new 745 navi but older BMW navi's were miserable. I am amazed at MB's nav -- my dad CL500 navi is nearly useless in routes that cross multiple states.

I think that no one realizes the advantage of the navi until after they have it. Not always for the directions but the other things like phone numbers.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I mostly agree with all the responses. I had the navi on my CL and it had come in handy many times. I just picked up a TL-P w/navi last week. The navi has helped me on my trips to Myrtle Beach, SC, Virginia Beach, VA, Boson, MA, Mystic, CT, and many other places. It has also helped me find locations in Manhattan. Sometimes the building #'s aren't visible so the navi helps pinpoint where it is (the voice helps to keep your eyes on the road). I just picked up a TL-P w/navi last week. The navi may not be for everyone, but I think you should definitely try it out before you make a decision.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

Any experience with aftermarket Navi?

So does anyone have experience with an aftermarket navi
on a 2001 cls? I'm thinking of getting an alpine aftermarket,
and looking for advice.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:51 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Edub-TL
I regret not getting it..

Sometimes, it's not just the directions.. but the location of an ATM or a gas station of your choice really helps out as well..

Now that I know about the Nav-DVD conversion.. I regret it even more..

I wish I would have gotten it too!!!! Get the OEM one.

If you plan on doing some serious stereo mods, then dont get it and get the alpine HU with the alpine screen and DVD Navi!!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Any experience with aftermarket Navi?

Originally posted by cl_newbie
and looking for advice.
I'd like to know more about that too.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear

hi, i'm new to the board and i'm planning on picking up a 2003 cl-s in a few weeks. i keep reading about the navi being dvd based... does that mean you can use it as a dvd player as well? and can you swap the head unit and have the navigation still function properly? also what companies make a front lip for the 2003's... thanks alot.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: Any experience with aftermarket Navi?

Originally posted by cl_newbie
and looking for advice.
If you look into Alpine navigations systems, you'll soon realize that their aftermarket systems are superior to the system that Acura uses (even though it is made by Alpine too).

Just do a web search and read about the differences between Alpine OEM systems and Alpine aftermarket systems. The aftermarket systems are clearly superior.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Any experience with aftermarket Navi?

Originally posted by Tom2

If you look into Alpine navigations systems, you'll soon realize that their aftermarket systems are superior to the system that Acura uses (even though it is made by Alpine too).

Just do a web search and read about the differences between Alpine OEM systems and Alpine aftermarket systems. The aftermarket systems are clearly superior.
How involved is the install?
Old 07-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Hybrid_Civic
hi, i'm new to the board and i'm planning on picking up a 2003 cl-s in a few weeks. i keep reading about the navi being dvd based... does that mean you can use it as a dvd player as well? and can you swap the head unit and have the navigation still function properly? also what companies make a front lip for the 2003's... thanks alot.
See the FAQ or the A/V forum for info. The short answer is:
Yes it is DVD based but you have to modify the system to play movie DVD's.

I don't think there are any (non-custom) bodykits available for the CL-S, let alone the '03.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:43 PM
2002 CLs w/Navi

It trips me out hearing everyone that doesn't have it say they wish they did..... Thats why I say get every option possible on your car that way you have no regrets. People say it's not worth the extra $2k or whatever for Navi.. PLEASE! it only adds a few bucks to your overall payment....well worth it
Old 07-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't get the NAV, and I regret it every frickin day. I have one question about aftermarket NAV's like the alpine....are they touch screen or do you need to use the remote. One HUGE advantage is that the the factory NAV is touchscreen!!