Long cranking before it starts, also chirping noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Long cranking before it starts, also chirping noise from engine

Anyone know what could be causing my issues? I was planning on taking it to the dealer to get their opinion but would like to go in with as much information as possible so I wanted to ask here first.

I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD 5AT with about 110,000 kms.

Car was perfect until about a week ago. Now when I go to start it, it'll crank for about 5 seconds before it starts. If I turn the key to on and hold it in on for a few secs to let the fuel pump do its thing and then try to start it, it will only crank for about 2 secs before it starts. However until a week ago I didn't have to do this, I was able to start it right away each time with almost no cranking even on the coldest days.

Also about a week ago, the engine started making this sound while idling, almost like a bird chirping. I do not know whether the two issues are related but it's suspicious that they both appeared at the same time.

Other notes:
-The car has never given me a single problem before in the 3 years I've owned it
-The car is completely stock
-The car has never had any work done on it in the 3 years I've owned it, other than basic maintenance like oil changes and air filter change
-There is no noticeable difference in the way the car drives, it's just the chirping sound and the difficult starting

Any ideas what it might be?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Long crank time is usually fuel pressure related.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Dejan, chirping is usually a problem with an idler or tensioner Pulley. While it is chirping, spray some CRC or PB Blaster on the belt. See if the noise goes away. Another thing you can do is detention the belt and pull it out of the way of the crank fully and see it this quiets it down. You can't drive the car like this (no power steering and you alternator light will be on) but you can run it for a few minutes to see if this quiets it down. If it does, stop the engine and spin the alternator and tensioner pulleys and see if they are making racket or don't spin freely.
As for the long start, could be fuel quality. Could you have some water in your gas?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fsures
Long crank time is usually fuel pressure related.
Wrong.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by Dejan
Anyone know what could be causing my issues? I was planning on taking it to the dealer to get their opinion but would like to go in with as much information as possible so I wanted to ask here first.

Car was perfect until about a week ago. Now when I go to start it, it'll crank for about 5 seconds before it starts. If I turn the key to on and hold it in on for a few secs to let the fuel pump do its thing and then try to start it, it will only crank for about 2 secs before it starts. However until a week ago I didn't have to do this, I was able to start it right away each time with almost no cranking even on the coldest days.

Also about a week ago, the engine started making this sound while idling, almost like a bird chirping. I do not know whether the two issues are related but it's suspicious that they both appeared at the same time.

Other notes:
-The car has never given me a single problem before in the 3 years I've owned it
-The car has never had any work done on it in the 3 years I've owned it, other than basic maintenance like oil changes and air filter change
-There is no noticeable difference in the way the car drives, it's just the chirping sound and the difficult starting

Ok so chances are of this car having a bad starter are pretty slim. However I have seen some fuel pumps prematurely fail on these cars. If you can get a friend to bang on the fuel tank while you start the car. If it fixes the problem you probably need a new fuel pump. Otherwise we will need to start getting into fuel delivery and ignition.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If it fixes the problem you probably need a new fuel pump. Otherwise we will need to start getting into fuel delivery and ignition.

Low fuel pressure? Wrong? Think NOT.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by fsures
If it fixes the problem you probably need a new fuel pump. Otherwise we will need to start getting into fuel delivery and ignition.

Low fuel pressure? Wrong? Think NOT.
Lol you obviously know nothing about cars.

Long cranking can be due to a faulty fuel pump, bad coils, bad plugs, faulty crank sensor, bad injectors etc.

His issue will either be a fuel pump or crank sensor is going bad.

To ignite the engine you need a mixture of fuel, spark and air. So if he has fuel and car is not starting and still cranks it could be anything.

Do your homework kid.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by Dejan

Other notes:

When the car is on if you put your ear near the right front wheel well is the chirping louder? Could be either your tensioner, serp belt or timing area making noise. Process of elimination would be to take the serpentine belt off and then run the car and see if the noise goes away IF ITS FROM THAT AREA. If it does it's your serp belt or tensioner or could even be a rusted or bad idler pulley. If it's still making noise its most likely your hydraulic tensioner, tensioner or waterpump or timing belt that's worn out. Usually around 100k on these cars I see the hydraulic tensioner start to go. Don't run it too long that your battery dies since the alternator isn't charging the battery at this point or you'll need a booster pack.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You guys are both wrong. Haha, jk

Seriously though, rather than arguing, it'd be more helpful to just make suggestions.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys but the problems disappeared on their own. I'm pretty confused. I took a long road trip a week ago and when I came back both problems were gone. Car starts up without cranking, and no funny noises from engine. Only thing I can think of is that the car had old/bad gas in it. Prior to my road trip I hadn't filled up the tank since February because I'd been working from home and also my girlfriend drives me everywhere, so my car barely moved.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
does it sound like this?