Chirp/Cricket/Bubbling sound when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Chirp/Cricket/Bubbling sound when in gear

So after searching this site and hearing similar issues I found someone posting this sound.

This is exactly my noise as soon as I shift into drive or reverse and sit in idle. Its a random chirping/bubbling sound with no pattern that speeds up and slows down. Now that it seems to be the External Auto Transmission Fluid Filter, my question is could the dealer have caused this when they performed my recent B123 service? I dont have the receipt in front of me so I'm not sure if anything with the filter was touched.

Seems to be a very strange coincidence that shortly after they serviced my car it is making a noise related to the transmission fluid. I spoke with Acura and since I'm driving a rental while I'm waiting for my airbag inflator to come in, they said they will wait until then to research the noise. When speaking on the phone they said prolly a belt or tensioner, I disagreed bc I know what those sound like and it is not that. Just looking for some extra ammo when I go in and try to get them to fix it.

Last edited by ITSJESTER; 05-03-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
The filter is $13, I'd probably just buy it and replace it myself.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a TSB for this, my problem was the the dealer said that everthing checks out fine, there trans. diagnostic machine (haha)could'nt find a problem. still making the noise,will take it to a different dealer when my air bag comes in. (a$$ hole dealers)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
The filter is $13, I'd probably just buy it and replace it myself.
I agree, but if its something that the dealer caused, I'd rather they just take care of making it right at the same time I'm waiting for the airbag install. If they start trying to tell me its XYZ and its completely different then I will try it myself first.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by randyt15
There is a TSB for this, my problem was the the dealer said that everthing checks out fine, there trans. diagnostic machine (haha)could'nt find a problem. still making the noise,will take it to a different dealer when my air bag comes in. (a$$ hole dealers)
I actually have the TSB printed out thanks to the other thread where I found the sound clip. I will be bringing this to the dealer. Too much of a coincidence that it started soon after they serviced it.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
For ~$30 after shipping, I didn't even bother taking it to the dealer. Time is money, and having to sit at a dealer for an hour or two is a big waste of my time (hint: money). It's a relatively easy replacement, you just have to remove the battery to get some arm-room. I don't think this is completely necessary since the filter is on top of the transmission, but I also used hose pinch clamps to prevent any flow. You'll also need a really long pair of pliers to remove the hose clamps from the fittings, or one of those flexible hose clamp tools.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ITSJESTER
I actually have the TSB printed out thanks to the other thread where I found the sound clip. I will be bringing this to the dealer. Too much of a coincidence that it started soon after they serviced it.
It was likely due to the fluid change which would have happened if you did it yourself or if the dealer did it. I don't think it's necessarily the dealer's fault.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Right before my wife bought her '12 TL SH-AWD at lease-end I had them do a tranny drain-and-fill and a couple other service items. Within a month of that servicing, she got the gurgle/chirping sound start on her car (was about 38 months in service, 29k miles at the time). I found the TSB for the ATF filter on this site, and brought it to the dealer. They replaced the in-line filter and did another drain-and fill of the ATF fluid (per the TSB specs) and it's been quiet as a mouse since (about 4 months and 2k miles now). Since her car was still under the 4 yr full warranty, it cost her $0.

The filter is fairly easy to replace - you need to remove the battery to get to it, but you can see it. I speculate that the drain-and-fill process stirred up some of the residue in the bottom of the tranny housing and it got caught in the in-line filter, and started to make that sound. What this tells me is that the procedure for future fluid changes is to do a drain-and-fill, wait a month, then do it again - and replace the in-line filter if it makes noise again. Most Honda/Acuras don't have this in-line filter, so it makes me wonder what is floating inside those transmissions that the filter doesn't take care of......

andy
Old 05-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Racer

Had that exact same sound on my 2013 SH-AWD and it was the tensioner. Service Manager said it's a common issue. Mine happened more when it was colder out, and would (mostly) go away in the summer, or after the car had warmed up.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
It was likely due to the fluid change which would have happened if you did it yourself or if the dealer did it. I don't think it's necessarily the dealer's fault.
I agree, makes sense it would happen regardless of who did it. My dealer is usually pretty awesome with taking care of things free of charge. I'll mention that during the change some gunk or particle must have gotten loose and in turn ended up clogging the filter. I'm sure since the part is so low in cost, they would take care of it. The service manager that I spoke with said if it was something related to what they did they will take care of it.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Right before my wife bought her '12 TL SH-AWD at lease-end I had them do a tranny drain-and-fill and a couple other service items. Within a month of that servicing, she got the gurgle/chirping sound start on her car (was about 38 months in service, 29k miles at the time). I found the TSB for the ATF filter on this site, and brought it to the dealer. They replaced the in-line filter and did another drain-and fill of the ATF fluid (per the TSB specs) and it's been quiet as a mouse since (about 4 months and 2k miles now). Since her car was still under the 4 yr full warranty, it cost her $0.

The filter is fairly easy to replace - you need to remove the battery to get to it, but you can see it. I speculate that the drain-and-fill process stirred up some of the residue in the bottom of the tranny housing and it got caught in the in-line filter, and started to make that sound. What this tells me is that the procedure for future fluid changes is to do a drain-and-fill, wait a month, then do it again - and replace the in-line filter if it makes noise again. Most Honda/Acuras don't have this in-line filter, so it makes me wonder what is floating inside those transmissions that the filter doesn't take care of......

andy
Thanks for the reply. This makes a ton of sense and is what I plan on doing when I go to the dealer. They are usually pretty good about waiving the diagnostic fee if they can audibly hear a noise (IE when I needed my propeller shaft replaced). Hoping that once I mention the symptoms and my thoughts, the service tech will listen to the noise and agree to swap out the filter for free since they performed the ATF change.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vasu
Had that exact same sound on my 2013 SH-AWD and it was the tensioner. Service Manager said it's a common issue. Mine happened more when it was colder out, and would (mostly) go away in the summer, or after the car had warmed up.
Interesting. When I was listening in the engine bay I could not hear anything. I can only hear the noise when I am in the car with the doors closed (which I have read is more a symptom of the ATF filter)

Were you hearing the noise inside or outside of the cabin? On a different thread I saw that replacing the tensioner at the dealer cost another member $390. So I hope it is not that. I have an extended warranty through my credit union that covers a ton with $0 deductible...I'll have to check to see if that's included just in case.

The other thing that points me away from this is that the noise is not temperature dependent. It happened when it was below 30 out and still happened when it was recently 80. It is most noticeable when I first start the car but does not really go away at all. After my 45 minute commute if I park and put it in drive and sit idle, it will still make the noise.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Racer

ah, maybe different then, but mine sounded just like that. I mainly heard it inside the car. It'd last for about 15 minutes at idle when it was cold out, and about 5 minutes at idle when it was warm out.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vasu
ah, maybe different then, but mine sounded just like that. I mainly heard it inside the car. It'd last for about 15 minutes at idle when it was cold out, and about 5 minutes at idle when it was warm out.
Could you hear it at all when you were listening in the engine bay?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ITSJESTER
Could you hear it at all when you were listening in the engine bay?
Never tried actually
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

ATF External transmission filter.

Had the same noise. Dealer fixed it. I showed them the TSB. Never heard the noise the since.