Valves still noisy after valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Valves still noisy after valve adjustment

I know our engines are noted for a somewhat noisy valve train so I'm not sure this really makes any difference but I thought maybe it was time to generate some thoughts on this since many of us 04 owner's have reached or will soon reach this milestone.

I did the valve adjustment at 106,650 miles not because of any problems or excessive valve noise. I did it just because it should be done (and many would argue it was overdue).

For references, here are the specs:
Intake 0.008"-0.009"
Exhaust ).011"-0.013"

When I first checked the clearances before adjusting, all were out of spec. Every single exhaust valve clearance was tight (I couldn't fit a 0.011" feeler gauge on any of the exhaust valves) and every intake valve clearance was loose. Overall, all of the valve clearances were at about 0.010", or about 0.001" out of spec. This matches with what a Honda service center found when doing a first time valve adjustment at 120K:
http://classic.artsautomotive.com/Ho...Adjustment.htm

Since loose valve clearances cause noise, I assumed the loose intake valves were causing the noise I could hear.

I adjusted all of the intake valve clearances to between 0.008" and 0.009" and all of the exhaust valve clearances to between 0.011" and 0.012". I used the "go, no go" method (i.e. for intake, I adjusted each valve so that a 0.008" feeler gauge would fit, but a 0.009" gauge would not).

After the adjustment, the car runs just as good as before and no problems at idle. However, I can't tell any reduction in valve train noise.

Any comments, thoughts on this or valve adjustment overall?
The following users liked this post:
Waffeey (09-12-2017)
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I just think thats the nature of our cars. noisy valve train
Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
After the adjustment, the car runs just as good as before and no problems at idle. However, I can't tell any reduction in valve train noise.

The valves were out of adjustment, but not enough to make additional noise, so just count yourself lucky and carry on with driving the car.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Doesnt sound like they were outta spec to that extent...its funny you mention all intake valves loose and exhaust valves were tight...i'd have to question whether you lined the cylinders up correctly. The consistency sounds crazy.

Ive adjusted valves on our car a few times before, and i've never come across smth like that...first of all, not all exhaust valves nor intake valves were the same, and everything was scattered across the board....by 3,4,5 or more numbers amongst intake valves alone, and as well as exhaust valves.

that .001 you've got, isn't going to cause noise.

im sure you're aware of the injectors being noisy as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Opel
Doesnt sound like they were outta spec to that extent...its funny you mention all intake valves loose and exhaust valves were tight...i'd have to question whether you lined the cylinders up correctly. The consistency sounds crazy.

Ive adjusted valves on our car a few times before, and i've never come across smth like that...first of all, not all exhaust valves nor intake valves were the same, and everything was scattered across the board....by 3,4,5 or more numbers amongst intake valves alone, and as well as exhaust valves.

that .001 you've got, isn't going to cause noise.

im sure you're aware of the injectors being noisy as well.
No, they sure weren't out by much. A good sign if my engine is any indication of a standard.

Yep, the tight/loose surprised me too, but no mistake. It's exactly as was found in the link I provided: tight exhaust and loose intake.

If my engine is any indication, looks like a valve adjustment prior to 105K is a waste of time.

Agreed, don't think noise can be used to judge valve clearance health on our engines.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-12-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It really depends...i cant explain it but, mine for example at one point were off a lot, and nowhere near 105k mark...sometimes it could happen that they need to be adjusted, and sometimes they don't. Based on how much time it takes to check and for someone who is inclined enough to do that, its good to check clearance even way before 105k
Once i had noticeably low compression a couple cylinders, and turned out the valves were off by quiet a few numbers. As far as im concerned, sometimes there's really no standard rule to this. If symptoms to indicate valves outta spec aren't present, then i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I had my valve adjustment done too thinking it would suppress the noise but with similar results like yours; barely any difference. I think this is common and normal for any honda/acura. Some engines are louder than others but in the end, the noise is still present.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I know our engines are noted for a somewhat noisy valve train so I'm not sure this really makes any difference but I thought maybe it was time to generate some thoughts on this since many of us 04 owner's have reached or will soon reach this milestone.

I did the valve adjustment at 106,650 miles not because of any problems or excessive valve noise. I did it just because it should be done (and many would argue it was overdue).

For references, here are the specs:
Intake 0.008"-0.009"
Exhaust ).011"-0.013"

When I first checked the clearances before adjusting, all were out of spec. Every single exhaust valve clearance was tight (I couldn't fit a 0.011" feeler gauge on any of the exhaust valves) and every intake valve clearance was loose. Overall, all of the valve clearances were at about 0.010", or about 0.001" out of spec. This matches with what a Honda service center found when doing a first time valve adjustment at 120K:
http://classic.artsautomotive.com/Ho...Adjustment.htm

Since loose valve clearances cause noise, I assumed the loose intake valves were causing the noise I could hear.

I adjusted all of the intake valve clearances to between 0.008" and 0.009" and all of the exhaust valve clearances to between 0.011" and 0.012". I used the "go, no go" method (i.e. for intake, I adjusted each valve so that a 0.008" feeler gauge would fit, but a 0.009" gauge would not).

Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Race Director

Yeah, there are some folks who theorize that the noise is actually the injectors, not the valves. I don't know, they may be right...

But I do know that the noise is not caused by incorrectly adjusted valves.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Race Director

Did my second valve adjustment today at 270K miles. Last adjustment was at 106K. I had originally planned to do it in conjunction with my 2nd TB change at ~220K miles, but just didn't have the time.

It was a good thing I finally got around to it. The exhaust valves had tightened to 0.009" and the intakes had loosened to 0.011", so I definitely recommend sticking with ~110K intervals for adjustments.

I haven't noticed any issues before the valve adjustment, so it would seem apparent that the J32 tolerates out of spec valves to a certain degree.

I'll be interested to see if I noticed any changes this time around.

Valve cover gaskets looked good, but I replaced them anyhow (I also replaced them last time). Spark plug tube seals are the originals and still good, did not replace them. This time I did replace the intake manifold gasket. Did not replace the intake manifold cover gasket.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 09-04-2017 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Waffeey (09-12-2017)