Tire Pressure Indicator Light will not go off

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Indicator Light will not go off

I have a new 07' TL less than 4K miles. As soon as the weather dipped below 50F the yellow indicator for tire pressure keeps poppng up no matter how many times I scroll it away. I called Acura for advice but the girl said was she was getting 10 calls a day on this but she gave me no solution on how to solve the problem.

Also, I plan to have a remote starter added to my car tomorrow. I plan to use a key over ride versus one of my actual keys and realize I will be deactivating the immobilizer function but are there any other pitfalls I may not have thought of? I trust the installers they do a lot of cars and they did my Lexus 5 years ago and I never had a problem.

Any advice, help would be most appreciated. Thank you. Terry
Old 11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terry61
I have a new 07' TL less than 4K miles. As soon as the weather dipped below 50F the yellow indicator for tire pressure keeps poppng up no matter how many times I scroll it away. I called Acura for advice but the girl said was she was getting 10 calls a day on this but she gave me no solution on how to solve the problem.

Also, I plan to have a remote starter added to my car tomorrow. I plan to use a key over ride versus one of my actual keys and realize I will be deactivating the immobilizer function but are there any other pitfalls I may not have thought of? I trust the installers they do a lot of cars and they did my Lexus 5 years ago and I never had a problem.

Any advice, help would be most appreciated. Thank you. Terry
Add more air to the tires. For every 10 degree drop in temperature you'll lose about 1 lb of air pressure. Mine has come on twice because i run my tire inflation hear the bottom of the recommended range. I believe the light will come on when the tire pressure drops 4 lbs below the minimum recommended tire pressure.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
anyone recall what the minimum is? mid 20's i think, not sure what it is exactly
Old 11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Add air!

The 5A auto has 33F/32R as the recommended psi when measured with tires cold; the 6M is 35F/32R.

Yes, add air until the TPMS reads the recommended psi, at a minimum. As george3761 said, the psi drops as air temp drops.
I prefer a higher psi than recommended-- better tire/steering response, maybe better gas mpg.

I've read here on AZ that the TPMS warning comes at about 29 psi.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Advanced

27 pounds. (it never came on at 28)

Mine has been coming on the last couple days as well. Very annoying. BUT... Should we add? reason I ask is, I drive 35 miles one way to work. By the time I am half way to work my pressure is up to 30 in the rear, when I leave my drive, like this morning it was at 25.
I am usually 32/30 by the time I get to my office.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Mine comes on at 28.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

Mine comes on at 29psi
Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Registered but harmless

Yes- only measure and add air when tires are COLD

Originally Posted by Chris 07 Type S
27 pounds. (it never came on at 28)

Mine has been coming on the last couple days as well. Very annoying. BUT... Should we add? reason I ask is, I drive 35 miles one way to work. By the time I am half way to work my pressure is up to 30 in the rear, when I leave my drive, like this morning it was at 25.
I am usually 32/30 by the time I get to my office.
Tire pressures are measured COLD, i.e. when the tires are at ambient temperature and have not been driven on. Your tire psi should thus be 35F/33R (or whatever the door plate says, as a minimum) in the a.m. when the ignition is initially turned on and the TPMS stabilizes.

Tires will warm up as you drive, and the heat generated by driving will increase the air temp in the tire, but NOT in any constant, predictable way for street tires. Ignore higher TPMS readings after you have driven more than a couple of miles-- the tires will have heated up by then and make the psi readings irrelevant. Too little air pressure will result in wear on the outside shoulders of the tires and more heat generated in the tires.

Unless you are very sensitive to the ride, the increased air pressure (to recommended) will make the car more responsive ("sharper") and may help fuel economy.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Will, Thanks man. I am going to go buy a pressure guage in the morning and get my pressure where it needs to be.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Why not use the car's built in pressure guage? It takes a few seconds to respond to changes but seems to be pretty accurate.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Advanced

I figure it would be just easier than putting air in, getting up waiting for the pressure reading, going back putting some in, waiting again, then go back take some out, then go back and wait for the reading. Then start wheel #2 lol
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will be the first of many threads started on this topic now that winter is approaching.

It's called the Ideal Gas Law, homie. pV=nRT where p is pressure, V is volume, n is the amount of gas in moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in kelvins. The colder your tires are, the lower the air pressure is inside the tire. As you drive, sidewal flexure and road friction cause the tire to heat up, which causes the gas to heat up, which causes the pressure to go up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

Also. this may come as a shock, but the TPMS indicator is coming up - and wont' go away - because your tire pressure is too low. Believe it or not, scrolling the error message away wont' cause the tire pressure to go back up to normal levels. Add air.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Advanced

OK.... So this morning when I was leaving my pressure read 28/25. The last 2.5 weeks that I have had this car my pressure has been in the 30/27 range. I didn't think anything of it as I thought the dealer would have set my pressure correctly when I picked up my car. Last weekend I took a 1K mile round trip road trip. I averaged about 28/29 MPG at 77 ish. I thought that was pretty good...
Than my TPMS for the last three days was telling me I was low and I came up on this thread. So, taking everyones advice and reading my damn door sill I put air in my tires today while the tires were cold. They are now 35/32 when the car is cold.
What a difference in MPG. On the way home tonight, I averaged 33-34???? at 77ish. Is that possible????
Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by Chris 07 Type S
OK.... So this morning when I was leaving my pressure read 28/25. The last 2.5 weeks that I have had this car my pressure has been in the 30/27 range. I didn't think anything of it as I thought the dealer would have set my pressure correctly when I picked up my car. Last weekend I took a 1K mile round trip road trip. I averaged about 28/29 MPG at 77 ish. I thought that was pretty good...
Than my TPMS for the last three days was telling me I was low and I came up on this thread. So, taking everyones advice and reading my damn door sill I put air in my tires today while the tires were cold. They are now 35/32 when the car is cold.
What a difference in MPG. On the way home tonight, I averaged 33-34???? at 77ish. Is that possible????
It's very possible, there is a reason that hybrid like the prius have 40-45Psi in there tires, less rolling resistance. There you go, nice mileage.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone for the posts. I did add air and the indicator light went off. It seems like a big duh but the car's computer kept telling me tire pressure normal, error with indicator light so I kept thinking there was a malfunction in the computer. I am going to increase the psi which is now around 30-31 cold to 34/32 to see how my mpg varies hopefully for the better since we're now over $3 per gallon.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Terry61
Thanks everyone for the posts. I did add air and the indicator light went off. It seems like a big duh but the car's computer kept telling me tire pressure normal, error with indicator light so I kept thinking there was a malfunction in the computer. I am going to increase the psi which is now around 30-31 cold to 34/32 to see how my mpg varies hopefully for the better since we're now over $3 per gallon.
I've had sort of the same thing I think you're saying. The warning light comes on but the maintenance minder doesn't say anything. It's like they're calibrated different.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

My car is the same right now with this cold weather we've been having, both fronts read 29 psi, but it is showing that the left front is low on the Mid???? Oh well, maybe the spec is 29.5 and the system is that sensitive and rounds it on the Mid. IDK. But it's nice to have that feature, I ran over a nail on the instertate on a long trip and it popped up in time for me to get it fixed without any damage to the tire or car.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The warning light comes on but the maintenance minder doesn't say anything. It's like they're calibrated different.
There should be no connection between the two-- the TPMS monitors tire pressure, but is useful only to tell psi when the tires are cold and if there is undue/unexpected deflation (i.e. psi falls below 29 or the sensor threshold).
The Maintenance Minder does not address the tires for wear, temperature or inflation.

Don't even wait for your TPMS alert to come on-- just add air when the tires are cold, to the recommended psi at a minimum. It may help with gas MPG, and the car's steering/movements will be more responsive than at lower tire psi.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Will Y.
There should be no connection between the two-- the TPMS monitors tire pressure, but is useful only to tell psi when the tires are cold and if there is undue/unexpected deflation (i.e. psi falls below 29 or the sensor threshold).
The Maintenance Minder does not address the tires for wear, temperature or inflation.

Don't even wait for your TPMS alert to come on-- just add air when the tires are cold, to the recommended psi at a minimum. It may help with gas MPG, and the car's steering/movements will be more responsive than at lower tire psi.
I was talking about the difference between the little warning light and the display. I've had the light on without it telling me to check my tires.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Instructor

my names g and i like????? hmmmmm