NY/NJ New Jersey & New York

Tint and No Front Plate ticket help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Tint and No Front Plate ticket help

I was on the southern state parkway and I saw this undercover cop had a new Jaguar XF pulled over so I made a note of that undercover car and continued on my way. The traffic was extremely slow and stop and go. I look back and see the undercover weaving in and out of traffic and he somehow ended up right next to me. I see him look over and I knew he was going to pull me over.

Sure enough as I move up he cuts the car behind me off and turns his siren on. He comes out of the car and says he could not see inside the car. The car is brand new (3 weeks old) and I said it came like that and I have a appt to remove the tint. He told me to sit tight and came back with 3 tickets. He told me he gave me a fix it ticket form and to get it fixed within 24 hours. I didn't know I had received 3 tickets until much later, that is when I saw he also gave me ticket for no front plate.

So now I have a few questions as I need to know what to do ASAP, the clock is ticking.

I know a inspection place where I can get the form signed off, that is no problem. But the form doesn't say anything, it just has information for a shop or inspection place to fill out that the "violations" have been corrected. Do I just have the shop fill that out and mail it in? Do I plead "guilty" as well or what?

The front plate ticket is such bs he didn't even tell me was giving me one, the damn plate was under my seat I could have taken it out right away.

So I am thinking of putting the plate on and going to a random cop so he can sign off the plate, I will go to my tint shop and ask them to make a receipt stating I removed my tints, and finally I will go to the inspection place and have them sign off the form the officer gave me and mail everything together. Sound good?

But see here is my question, I only got one correction form but I got three tickets. Is that one form applying to all the tickets or what? If that is the case I would just get the tint shop receipt and have the inspection station say I have done everything, plate is on, tint is off, etc.

I have no idea if I should plead guilty or not guilty on these tickets. No way I am going to court, if I go to court it will cost me much more, $85 surcharge PER ticket, thats $255 in just surcharges. And anyway, I will most likely lose. I got two tickets on Friday for speeding and unsafe lane change, can't afford spending $1k in tickets.

NY state is so confusing, most unhelpful information is online. If you call the courts you wont ever get a straight answer. Bunch of pricks.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah ny kinda sucks haha im from LI. I would have one shop make up a receipt saying u had everything done just to avoid confusion. sorry bout all the tickets mate that sucks. it all comes down to luck, ive had 20% and like 70 on my windshield for 2 years and havent had a cop say anything about my tints. been pulled over twice for no plate though, i just said it was because i had my bumper painted and got out of it both times. usually u can talk ur way out of no plate but if they nail u for a bunch of stuff its hard. also keeping ur windows down when u see a cop helps

Last edited by Ruyguy331; 07-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ what he said about windows down for cops lol Here in wa I haven't had a front plate for years and the cop I talked to said he would have to be really bored or I would have to drive like a dumba$$ for him to pull me over for the front plate lol and for any tickets in wa state you can go to court and explain your circumstances and the ticket will be cut in half..
Old 07-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
LOL your fault for putting windshield tint. Lololol
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
LOL your fault for putting windshield tint. Lololol
nah i bought it like that, it might not even be 75 because you cant even tell unless you look at mine with another car right next to it. but i have a dea card (like a pba but better) and it got me from license revocation to a $47 'creating a hazard' ticket on the NJ turnpike 2 weeks ago for flying past an undercover at like 95mph. (shit gotta pay that!) so i dont think ill be getting shit for tints anytime soon lol
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 AM
A6 and TL

I think he meant me lol. Oh well they will be dropped, going to inspection station Monday, they will sign it off, I will mail it in and be done. Just a hassle. Oh well.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruyguy331
. also keeping ur windows down when u see a cop helps
hahaha you just brought me back to the days of first having my license and cruising around on DPA in Deer Park/north bab LOL.

Btw, OP, it doesn't matter- even if u had known he was writing u a plate ticket & pulled it out he would have given u the ticket for not having it bolted on. Long Island cops are really pissy about that.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by MissAlyyTL
hahaha you just brought me back to the days of first having my license and cruising around on DPA in Deer Park/north bab LOL.

Btw, OP, it doesn't matter- even if u had known he was writing u a plate ticket & pulled it out he would have given u the ticket for not having it bolted on. Long Island cops are really pissy about that.
Oh well, the cops around me in Westchester don't care at all. I pass through check points all the time with dark tint and no plate and never have problems, nassau county is poor as hell and they are raking in money by these BS tickets. No doubt the cop that pulled me over was a "Revenue Collector" for nassau county LOL.

Oh well, gotta pay to play? Like I said, thankfully, it will be dropped.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NYS DMV requires registered vehicles to the State of New York to have two (2) plates: both affixed to front and rear bumpers. For some other states in the U.S., only one plate is required so they cannot be summonsed for "No Front License Plate" like Pennsylvania State. That plate is usually affixed to the rear bumper of the vehicle.

If a motorist get a summons from a Police Officer in NYC for "No Front License Plate" and the missing plate is registered to NYS, that driver and/or owner of car will have to explain to the traffic court judge why there was only one plate on the vehicle.

If the plate is believed to have been stolen or fell on the street somewhere while in motion, then the motorist should've filed a "Lost/Stolen License Plate" complaint at the nearest precinct. A stolen/missing slip would've been given to the driver to carry around on his/her person while operating the vehicle to avoid getting summonsed when stopped by a law enforcement officer...

Posted from Acurazine.com App for Android
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
What happens when you get caught again?..because you will!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A sane driver ought to be responsible. If certain documents are required to drive in a state, then a resident driver of said state should have the proper vehicle documents in his possession or nearby in vehicle to provide upon request. But some people think just because they've been driving without a valid driver's license in NYS and never get caught or stopped by a Police Officer that he/she can drive like that all the time without any consequences when finally get caught.

A motorist should be less of a teenager when it comes to serious matter and don't blame anybody for whatever mistake they've been making that should'be been corrected even if it's after one or two days of driving with that "receipt."

I'm sure there's at least a DMV building in all the 5 NYC's boroughs or counties. So there's really no excuse not to take a quick trip to a nearby one to get an "Interim Driver's License" which a motorist can use temporarily until his/her valid driver's license arrives in the mail. C'est tout! That's all!

The following users liked this post:
KillerG (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
whatever happened champ?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Oh well, the cops around me in Westchester don't care at all. I pass through check points all the time with dark tint and no plate and never have problems, nassau county is poor as hell and they are raking in money by these BS tickets. No doubt the cop that pulled me over was a "Revenue Collector" for nassau county LOL.

Oh well, gotta pay to play? Like I said, thankfully, it will be dropped.

It totally depends on the officer if you are getting a ticket for one window or four or five windows . I work in Westchester County and I know for a fact that tickets are given for individual windows as well as front plates.

" If it was illegal in the first place its not a fix me ticket"

which basically means if you had a bulb out that can be dismissed within 24 hours if its repaired
Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xcepticus
NYS DMV requires registered vehicles to the State of New York to have two (2) plates: both affixed to front and rear bumpers. For some other states in the U.S., only one plate is required so they cannot be summonsed for "No Front License Plate" like Pennsylvania State. That plate is usually affixed to the rear bumper of the vehicle.

If a motorist get a summons from a Police Officer in NYC for "No Front License Plate" and the missing plate is registered to NYS, that driver and/or owner of car will have to explain to the traffic court judge why there was only one plate on the vehicle.

If the plate is believed to have been stolen or fell on the street somewhere while in motion, then the motorist should've filed a "Lost/Stolen License Plate" complaint at the nearest precinct. A stolen/missing slip would've been given to the driver to carry around on his/her person while operating the vehicle to avoid getting summonsed when stopped by a law enforcement officer...

my tl is registered in ny but i go to college in pa. when im in pa can i take off my front plate and be okay or do i still need my front plate since its a ny plate?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by nyczkennyy
my tl is registered in ny but i go to college in pa. when im in pa can i take off my front plate and be okay or do i still need my front plate since its a ny plate?
the letter of the law states that you must abide by the law of the state you are in, despite the law of your home state. in PA, front plates are not required, therefore you can take it off. those with a PA reg are legally required to put a front plate on when in NJ/NY but the cops understand that there are different laws, and provide leeway. such as going 5MPH over the limit is technically illegal, but no cop will pull you over for just that