NY/NJ New Jersey & New York

Timing Belt & Misc

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:47 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Timing Belt & Misc

Hello, my 2011 TL base is in need of a timid belt. I got a quote at $950 to include belt, tensioner, water pump and a radiator flush. I have seen coupons for $599 & $699 but those likely don't include everything. Thoughts?

Also, car has 50K on it but its 7 years old. Trying to decide if I should keep or sell. Other work needed: Brakes (new rotors) & fluid, plugs, Trans Flush. Anyone have good mechanic? Also worried when timing belt gets done & they flush radiator, it will need to be replaced as well. Comments & input welcome. I know there is a guy named Paul in Clifton who you all say is good but I can't get over there as I have no way to get home.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
A 2011 TL with 50K on it sounds pretty nice. Obviously only you know how the interior and exterior are and if the vehicle has seen its required maintenances. My thought is you have a vehicle that can go another 150K or more. What you are describing such as timing belt, flush radiator, brakes, etc. are normal maintenance items that you would have with any car. Think hard about trading and then inheriting someone else’s problem with a vehicle that was not taken care of. Start asking around for a good mechanic or pay a bit more and go to the Acura dealer. Look for a coupon or call the service manager and let him know you’re a Vet, teacher, unemployed or whatever and he might just give you a discount without a coupon. I know that often when our shop was empty, I would be much more generous about discounts just to keep our techs busy. Fortunately, this is the season when shops are empty as people tend to spend for Christmas presents and let their vehicle maintenances wait.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Advanced

Thanks Crashmaster. The car is in very good condition. Original brakes and rotors at a bit over 50k as I do not start or stop hard and minimal wear and tear. Back seats look like the day it rolled off the assembly line and meticulous about maintaining on both time & mileage schedule. Your thoughts on buying a new set of potential problems vs a car I know is good are well taken. Just a bit concerned about spending nearly $2k in maintenance and then having to deal with unanticipated stuff coming up which will be crystal clear in hindsight like many things in life. I knew a guy who had his timing belt replaced at the Honda dealer along with other stuff and when he went to pick it up, he was informed that he needed a new radiator for like $1,000 so I will tell the dealer to evaluate the car before starting any work so I don't have a similar experience. I appreciate your time and input.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
Hello, my 2011 TL base is in need of a timid belt. I got a quote at $950 to include belt, tensioner, water pump and a radiator flush. I have seen coupons for $599 & $699 but those likely don't include everything. Thoughts?

Also, car has 50K on it but its 7 years old. Trying to decide if I should keep or sell. Other work needed: Brakes (new rotors) & fluid, plugs, Trans Flush. Anyone have good mechanic? Also worried when timing belt gets done & they flush radiator, it will need to be replaced as well. Comments & input welcome. I know there is a guy named Paul in Clifton who you all say is good but I can't get over there as I have no way to get home.
I'm curious, with only 50,000 miles on your car, why do you think it needs the Timing Belt and Water Pump service?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Advanced

At 7 years or 100k it is suggested that it be replaced. Others have had similar comments to yours. I am second owner and it has been in an attached semi-sub grade garage the entire time I have owned it so not exposed to extreme heat in summer or cold in winter. In theory, I should be able to run it a year or two beyond 7 years but the only way to know for sure is to drive it and find out. If the belt breaks, the gamble does not pay off. Hindsight is 20/20
Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
At 7 years or 100k it is suggested that it be replaced. Others have had similar comments to yours. I am second owner and it has been in an attached semi-sub grade garage the entire time I have owned it so not exposed to extreme heat in summer or cold in winter. In theory, I should be able to run it a year or two beyond 7 years but the only way to know for sure is to drive it and find out. If the belt breaks, the gamble does not pay off. Hindsight is 20/20
Unlike earlier J-Series equipped Honda and Acura cars, I do not believe your car has the 7-Year timing belt restriction (my 2001 V6 Accord has the restriction, my 2006 TL does not). If you don't have your Owner's Manual you can download it from the Acura Owners site and look it up.

Long story short, I'm betting you can easily go another seven years on the factory belt.