Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota & Washington State

Moving to Yakima, Washington

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving to Yakima, Washington

Hello everyone,

Well in about two to three months my family and I will be moving to Yakima. I was wondering if someone who is familiar with the place or lives there can tell me a bit about it, such as it's weather, and life in Yakima. My wife's dad lives up there and he keeps raving about how nice it is, and we should go live there. I've been up there once, but years ago.

California has gotten too expensive for us. We'd like to own a house, and it appears that it will be much easier in Washington than in Cali to acutally obtain one.

Washington here we come...
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive been there a few times for training when i was stationed at Ft. Lewis.

Its hot and hardly rains in the summer, cold and snows/ices in the winter.

From what i could tell / heard from people permanently stationed there, there isnt much to do.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yakima huh? I've been through there a few times...unfortunately, I can't really explain life in Yakima...there doesn't seem like there's much to do
How about Seattle, Lynnwood, Everett, Edmonds, Shoreline, Mukilteo, or Mill Creek? Much closer to "civilization" Albeit, Yakima's peaceful
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Hey Erick3, those places sound nice. I'll do my homework and see what I can find on them.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:07 PM
6speed

yeah i hear its hot...

out of erics choices i would look into shoreline, lynnwood, and everett. seems like they are still developing into big cities so i would imagine it would be a little cheaper. shoreline actually got voted best city to live in king county in 03 i think...but i work there and if you live close to 99 its definately not a family environment. not gonna lie there are a lot of crackheads and the like.

the rest of them have sort of the rich feel to it. but just fyi all those choices are a 2-3 hour drive away from yakima. oh i read that the east side of the mountains are actually expanding so alot of places over there are hiring like crazy and land is cheap too. but like everyone said...not really sure what to do over there. i know a lot of friends out of high school held a bunch of sports tournaments over there. but im sure there are long stretches of road to test out new car parts though

good luck!
-Jasen
Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Hey Jasen,

Thank you so much for that, I greatly appreciate it. Yea I need to get a job ou there ASAP. So I'll def look into the east side, as you mentioned.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend living there if you didn't have to. I might be biased since I live on the other side of the mountains. I'm sure anywhere you go, you will run into gangs and crime. But I recently heard from a friend who's family is from there that some areas are getting bad. So I would definitely reccomend you do some research on the area/neighborhood before buying a house.

Also like Jasen said there really isn't much to do over there, except if you're into river rafting, wine tasting, ATV, camping, or hunting.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
it also depends if you prefer the city life or the very rural life... yakima is pretty much a very rural place. also, it's a location where the U.S. Army goes out to train so your going to hear a lot of ruckus caused by the Army. hope you like it hella country because it's in the boonies and in the middle of no where......... hahahaha
Old 09-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ If youre hearing the Army doing anything....they are firing the big big big guns. The town of Yakima is many miles from the ranges. And even then, most of the ranges are in valleys.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:11 AM
DoublYouDP

Yakima is cool dude...and u'll be the only one that drive Acura TL down there..good luck
Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yakima is cool, but there isn't anything to do way out there, unless your an outdoorsman. And you will be one of few driving an Acura since I dont think there is a dealer out there. the weather is nicer, it's just way out there not close to any of the fun stuff like Seattle. Is there work for you out there?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm from the Tri-Cities, an hour away from Yakima. I have a lot of family from Sunnyside, 15 minutes from Yakima.

From what I've seen, Yakima has been on a steady decline for decades. What used to be the best city in central and south-eastern Washington has become a bit of a migrant-worker ghetto (a lot of farms in the Yakima valley.) I'm sure there are nice parts; I just don't know where they're at.

Yes, it get's hot in the summer, but coming from L.A. it won't be such a big deal for you. A little bit of snow in the winter, not too cold (30's), mostly just gloom for a couple of months.

But if you got a job there, and family too, then that's what's important.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Safety Car

so what happened? just curious!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Hey thanks everyone for all the advice on Yakima. Well one more month and we are going to be up there.

CJams, you are right there is no Acura dealer, but good thing that there is a Honda dealer.

TheMightyQuinn: you're right about having a job, place to live and most important my family that what does matter. Right now fun is not on your schedule, we are more with the mindset of working hard and making good things happen for us in Washington. Okay I lie, fun is always going to be on our minds, the fam and I can drive up to Seattle and hang out with you guys on meets.

erick3: nothing bad happened, it's just to expensive out here in Cali. I'm done living pay check to pay check.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Split797
Hey thanks everyone for all the advice on Yakima. Well one more month and we are going to be up there.

CJams, you are right there is no Acura dealer, but good thing that there is a Honda dealer.

TheMightyQuinn: you're right about having a job, place to live and most important my family that what does matter. Right now fun is not on your schedule, we are more with the mindset of working hard and making good things happen for us in Washington. Okay I lie, fun is always going to be on our minds, the fam and I can drive up to Seattle and hang out with you guys on meets.

erick3: nothing bad happened, it's just to expensive out here in Cali. I'm done living pay check to pay check.
Once you get established, it's a renters market up here right now. We still own our old house and are renting it out at a loss because we can't sell it. The same fortune that got us such a good deal on our new house is a pain losing money every month just renting out the old one. Take advantage of that. Don't know what your trade is but you may be traveling a long distance outside of Yakima if you're in any sort of technical field.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Hey everyone,

Well it I've got an apartment in Yakima and will be moving there in a few days. Hey TheMightyQuinn thanks for telling it like it is: "What used to be the best city in central and south-eastern Washington has become a bit of a migrant-worker ghetto." Well my family and I plan to make the best of it and give it our best shot of living a great life in Yakima.

As for spotting Acura's out in Yakima I saw maybe 2-3 TL's and 2 other TSX's, including mine making it a grand total of 3.

Also, my family and I are looking forward to visiting Seattle, Vancouver and Pasco while in Yakima. Maybe I can meet some of you one day.

Ok take care everyone and happy driving.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Split, how are you enjoying Yakima?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM
3rd Gear

I live here and its good and warm most of the time and Ice cold from about nov to march. I'm freeeeezzzzzing right now!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

You must have missed mine! o6 Tl typeS Midnight blue up in East valley!

Maxwell
Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The place that I work for just opened a race track in Grass Valley OR. It is a little bit south of you. I will post up when we will be rolling through this summer and you can hit the track with us if you would like to.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 AM
i like acura

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
i just moved to ellensburg. wont be making any meets for a while. its freezin here.im about 20 minutes from yakima
Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't responded. I haven't had access and time to come on here. Oh yea Happy New Years Everyone.

Hey losothefatso, I"m liking it here in Yakima. It's def a lot slower and more peaceful than LA, but it's exactly what my family and I wanted and needed.

maxwell, I think I've seen your car. If I see you, and I hope it's you I'll say wass up. You'll know it's me, you'll see the LA Dodgers cap.

So yea it's cold here and I'm getting used to the snow, slow driving and my car drifting with out trying to drift it, LOL. K Take care all, gotta go.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well you should try to make it to some of our summer meets if we do have one! i know i wont be attending anymore meets since i'm going to be going to South Carolina this summer.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Safety Car

Split,

That's great news! Do you have any children? I wonder how they're holding up? Hope all's well! Welcome to Washington! If you're ever interested in coming by Seattle, Bellevue, Mukilteo, or any where of the sort...throw me a phone call! I'd be more than willing to take you around/throw some suggestions your way! I'll PM you my number!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Intermediate

welcome to washington!!!!!!!snowboard like crazy on the winter and enjoy the outside on the summer!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Hello everyone,

Well it's been a year now, and so far so good. Since we've moved, well I sold my TSX, yes I sold it! Bob Hall bought it and they've sold it as well. Now, I have gotten the green light from my lovely wife to start looking and get myself another one. This time I plan to get an '06 instead of an '08. Hondata here I come! So how's everyone doing?

Yea, there is nothing to do in this town, the wifey wants to go back to CA. Hmmmmm....
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
wow, i have never droped in this section but i have lived in yakima for 4 years now. it does suck but im here cuz the baby mama lives here and i gotta be near my kids so... yeah. anyways maybe u should just buy my car..
Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Big plans not enough $$$

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Hello, I live here in Pasco, have ever thought of coming to take a look at the tri-cities, theres more to do here than in Yakima. And there are a lot more acuras than in yakima too. =)
Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Um, I think it is too late. "Well it's been a year now, and so far so good." Note the date on the OP's first post.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Split797;12783173]Hello everyone,

Well it's been a year now, and so far so good. Since we've moved, well I sold my TSX, yes I sold it! Bob Hall bought it and they've sold it as well. Now, I have gotten the green light from my lovely wife to start looking and get myself another one. This time I plan to get an '06 instead of an '08. Hondata here I come! So how's everyone doing?

Yea, there is nothing to do in this town, the wifey wants to go back to CA. Hmmmmm....[/QUOTE]

Don't blame the wifey, I hate Washington. Rains to damn much here in WA, can't wait until we get the hell out of here. But when it does not rain it is pretty and super nice. Hubby tour of duty will be up next year. Can't wait to see where we go next. Hopefully somewhere hot with sun!!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
God, this fucking thread will not die!
The days of putting a pin in the map and moving there are over. Don't you all use google to do research on a place before you move there? The suicide rate in Yakima is 35% higher than the rest of the nation (as is Oregon). California is expensive, but if you slit your wrists from too many isolated days from sitting inside your house it would be the same price as therapy.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 05-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.