New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New to the forum. New to the TL life.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New to the forum. New to the TL life.

Thanks for having me.

A few months back I decided to sell the 00 Acura Integra LS after 7 years of ownership. It was a great little car that I kept reliable and raced autocross in from time to time. Recently I turned 30 and have been feeling the need for something a bit more comfortable when I came across the TL Type-S. I still remember the first time the 3rd gen Tl really caught my eye in 2009 and decided that I'd like to own one one day even though i didn't know a performance sub-model was an option. Long story short, I found a fair deal on an 08 Type-S with 108k miles and a salvaged title. I paid 2k under low blue book, the car was already through safety and emissions with no frame or alignment issues. It had been a california car (even saw the title) and was rear ended and pushed into something on the side also. Multiple panels were slightly damaged so of course the insurance company totaled it. Anywho, its mine now. Black on Black but comes with the typical seat tares and non-working bluetooth issue.

As I type this I've realized I have no pictures of the Type-s... will get some up soon.

Work ive finished so far:
OEM water pump, OEM T-Belt, OEM Pulleys/tensioners and pulley bolt, Plugs, oil change, air filter, valve adjustment, upper trans mount, passenger side upper motor mount, oem thermostat, proper blue coolant change. Will likely do the other mounts, ignition coils and all brakes in the next 6 months.

Current work:

-ATF 3x3 with Amsoil Super Shift. I will be using Amsoil for the engine oil starting my next oil change.
-2nd and 4th gear trans pressure switches are done and helped smooth some shifts out a bit. The 3rd gear switch turns my CEL/Blinking "D" on when I replace it (i've posted in the DIY solenoid thread for the 07-08 tl type s on the issue). I'm trying to figure that out still.

-Clazzio seat skins in black diamond. I installed the front passenger bottom/upper and won't lie...when its next to the original driver seat I don't like them. The seat skins look great online but once installed they take away the aggressive aesthetic design of the seat some. while they are comfortable enough the back does move around (its a seat cover, what was I expecting???) and that bugs me. I may just sell them and pay to have the seats professionally reupholstered.

The 2000 Acura Integra LS 5MT. I purchased this in November of 2011 with 135k miles and sold April of 2019 with 218k miles. Ran mind blowing 17second 1/4 miles haha but held her own in autocross. At one point I had enkei RPF1 with Falken azenis tires stolen off of the car. The insurance company covered that thankfully. Christmas eve of 2017 someone tried to steal the car. Destroyed the ignition but they must not have realized that the 00 and 01 have the immobilizers so the ecu wouldn't allow the car to start. Sad part is I had a viper alarm but hadn't set it that night! Mistakes can be costly. When they couldn't get the car to start they stole the stereo headunit and an old crappy 4 channel amp (my fosgate sub and digital mono block amp where thankfully in the house at the time as i was considering selling them). Still, the insurance covered the car parts but not the audio equipment. after doing the work myself I was able to get everything back to normal including replacement audio equipment for about break even. It happens. Incidentally, state farm charges less for full coverage on the type-s than for liability only on the LS. Must be all of the integra theft issues.

The utah salt took its toll but the interior was beautiful for the age/mileage. I miss the car. The TL is hiding in the back...only picture I have as of yet.

Someday I'll buy another Integra, they are great little cars.

I also like Jeep Cherokees. Didn't hang onto my first 2 for very long but my current jeep I've had for 4 years this month

My first vehicle was a 1991 Jeep cherokee Laredo w/ 130k miles. Pictured with a 4.5" lift and 32" Goodyear MTR's. Very fun vehicle for a high schooler.

Second Jeep was a 2000 XJ. Remained stock, I only owned it for a few months. The 2000 and 2001 crack the cylinder heads between 160-190k due to a casting flaw from the factory. I bought this one with a blown HG and fixed it in the driveway. Wish i'd kept it...was pretty clean.

My third and current XJ is a 98 with 282k miles. It won't die. Just a simple 2" lift and 30" tires works for my overlanding lifestyle.

There were a few Honda Civics and a Volvo S60R (can't recommend) over the years. Currently I also have a VS800 cruiser bike but am selling.

Good times. I hope to add some value to the forum and know I'll get a lot from all of you.

-Elias
Old 05-28-2019, 05:13 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Hey Elias! great to have another gearhead aboard!!
we welcome your wrenching experience!

Good call on the seat skins..the cazzio's (sp?) are
Old 05-29-2019, 04:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
Good call on the seat skins..the cazzio's (sp?) are
haha yeah. Prior to buying I read around about them and everyone either loved or hated them at a glance. Never found anyone who had flip flopped like I have after purchasing. I've decided I'll sell them for sure. The originals look great once not torn.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:46 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
I strongly recommend you get the Amsoil ATF out of your transmission; odds are pretty good you'll be buying a new transmission soon if you don't.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I strongly recommend you get the Amsoil ATF out of your transmission; odds are pretty good you'll be buying a new transmission soon if you don't.
I've read so much conflicting information on that point. The common denominator I found for success was don't flush the ATF and do replace your pressure switches. I'll stick with the Super Shift and let you know if my trans blows up haha. Thanks for the advice though.

Took some pictures of the TL today. Nothing special. Needs a bit of love like emblems, has unmatching side markers, rocker panel and some smaller dents etc...

Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild Wild West
I've read so much conflicting information on that point. The common denominator I found for success was don't flush the ATF and do replace your pressure switches. I'll stick with the Super Shift and let you know if my trans blows up haha. Thanks for the advice though.
Here's the thing about non-Honda ATFs, while some may have superior base oils, that really is secondary to the coefficient of friction (CoF); since there is no way of knowing whether the CoF is correct for any given application, using Amsoil ATF is a crap shoot. Said another way, given Honda does not publish the CoF requirements their transmissions are designed to work with, a "one-size-fits-all" ATF solution has a MUCH higher chance of having incorrect CoF properties. Why do you care? Because if the CoF is too slippery, the clutches will take a long time to fully engage and will wear too quickly, the opposite can also be true, if the CoF is not slippery enough, then the clutches will grab too quickly and transmit shock and extra stress throughout the internals of the transmission. The ONLY ATF which is guaranteed to have the correct CoF for your transmission is Honda DW-1; accept no substitutes.

Long story short, unless you'd be okay with running, say Audi ATF, or Ford's Mercon, or any of a dozen other ATF formulations in your transmission, then you certainly shouldn't be okay with running Amsoil ATF.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Here's the thing about non-Honda ATFs, while some may have superior base oils, that really is secondary to the coefficient of friction (CoF);
That is a good and rational point relative to clutch happiness. You peaked my curiosity and so I did some more research.
For posterity sake here is some info I found:

-The Type-S has unusually large clutches (as cited elsewhere on AZ). The AT design is based on the higher horsepower Acura RL. Honda refers to the TL Type-S transmission as having "High Torque Capacity". This may explain the difficulty of finding examples of transmission problems being cause by Amsoil Super Shift.
https://hondanews.com/channels/acura...-tl-powertrain

-People will note that the Amsoil Super Shift bottle states "non-slip". This doesn't mean it will fix your slipping transmission because it has quality friction modifiers...it means it has zero friction modifiers and will not allow the clutches to slip at all as is desired in high horsepower racing applications. The lack of slip absolutely translates into harsher conditions for the transmission. Users often cite they love the added bite during gear shifts, this explains that.

-Type F fluid is only approved for some pre-1980's vehicles iirc. Despite it having excellent properties for dealing with oxidization (especially in sealed transmissions)...it is still very old in terms of standards and I wasn't aware of that.

DW1 = Honda Approved (duh) and smoother/gentler shifts.
Amsoil SuperShift = Likely not even close to to Honda approved and harsher more sudden shifts.

Anyway, I bought a case of DW-1 as I'm looking to smooth out my shifts, not make them more harsh. your points are valid. Type-F isn't even close to being made for our transmissions (even if I can't find example of it damaging a trans...). Thanks for your input, I learned some things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wild Wild West:
horseshoez (05-31-2019), justnspace (05-31-2019)