New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

I'm back!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm back!

Hello!
I'm not new to Acura products as way back in HS I owned a 1994 Acura Integra LS and two 1994 Acura Integra GSRs. Hell of a car for a HS kid back then, I loved it. Actually, it was the car that made me fall in love with cars in general. Now, to the present, I've come full circle. I'm the proud owner of a 2021 Acura TLX Type S. It's my first Acura since my 1994 Acura Integra GSR and so far I love it. I'm actually quite perplexed at all the hate for this car, it's quite special despite not being a class leader in straight line performance.
The following 3 users liked this post by BadMoonRyzen:
Ascension (10-14-2022), MarcoTLX (10-13-2022), rockstar143 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 02:44 PM
Instructor

The following 2 users liked this post by BadMoonRyzen:
Ascension (10-14-2022), MarcoTLX (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 10:49 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 374 Likes on 249 Posts
Firstly welcome to AcuraZine! Congrats on your Type-S purchase that’s one hot car that has caused a lot of controversy on this forum and other social media forums and such. I agree it’s not a class leader but it’s definitely one of the best all-around daily driver sedans, especially if you can get one at MSRP. I want one myself!

what made you decide on the white color, any other colors you was interested in? Any modding plans? Window tints? Accessories you want to purchase for it later down the line?
Old 10-13-2022, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Firstly welcome to AcuraZine! Congrats on your Type-S purchase that’s one hot car that has caused a lot of controversy on this forum and other social media forums and such. I agree it’s not a class leader but it’s definitely one of the best all-around daily driver sedans, especially if you can get one at MSRP. I want one myself!

what made you decide on the white color, any other colors you was interested in? Any modding plans? Window tints? Accessories you want to purchase for it later down the line?
Thanks! Well, I really like the Platinum White with the Black accents color combo, and I like the fact that White always looks the cleanest and it's almost impossible to see swirls on. That being said, availability was the biggest factor in my color choice. I plan on tinting the windows, swapping the tires for some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and a tune if a reputable company every comes out with one. I would consider a downpipe and exhaust as well as long as it's not terribly loud. I actually like the sound level from the factory.

As far as the controversy of the car itself. I'm rather baffled by it. Is it a little slower than it's competitors? YES, but it does so many other things better than it's competitors. Plus, driving it around town at anywhere from partial to 3/4 throttle it feels like a beast, which is where most people spend the majority of their driving. If this car ran a 12.5 or so in the quarter everyone would be declaring it the second coming. I test drove a Kia Stinger G2, looked at the Genesis G70 and actually had an Audi RS3 on order. (FWIW I do know the Stinger is technically faster but it sure didn't feel like it behind the wheel.) I drove the Type S on a whim going into the dealership that I would not like it due to the negative publicity on the forums and social media and I'm sure glad I did! I decided to save some money over the RS3 and take the reliability of a Honda product and ride off into the sunset.

People get blinded by online benchmarks and pure straight-line performance that they miss out on what makes a car special. The Type S just has that special sauce, and I'm not the only one that thinks so. Many expert reviewers feel that way too. It seems like most people bashing it are keyboard warriors who have never actually driven it.
The following 3 users liked this post by BadMoonRyzen:
gk1085 (10-16-2022), MarcoTLX (10-13-2022), rockstar143 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 11:24 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 374 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by BadMoonRyzen
Thanks!

As far as the controversy of the car itself. I'm rather baffled by it. Is it a little slower than its competitors? YES, but it does so many other things better than its competitors. Plus, driving it around town at anywhere from partial to 3/4 throttle it feels like a beast, which is where most people spend the majority of their driving. If this car ran a 12.5 or so in the quarter everyone would be declaring it the second coming. I test drove a Kia Stinger G2, looked at the Genesis G70 and actually had an Audi RS3 on order. (FWIW I do know the Stinger is technically faster but it sure didn't feel like it behind the wheel.) I drove the Type S on a whim going into the dealership that I would not like it due to the negative publicity on the forums and social media and I'm sure glad I did! I decided to save some money over the RS3 and take the reliability of a Honda product and ride off into the sunset.

People get blinded by online benchmarks and pure straight-line performance that they miss out on what makes a car special. The Type S just has that special sauce, and I'm not the only one that thinks so. Many expert reviewers feel that way too. It seems like most people bashing it are keyboard warriors who have never actually driven it.
my sentiments exactly, this is what the 6G TLX sub forum needs to see lol

It is a great car I test drove the Type-S one quite a few occasions I’m sold on it’s performance, looks and daily drivability… could I go and get a used 2020-2021 M340i? Sure but I’m getting something used that’s 20k-25k miles away from being out of warranty and the maintenance will be more than the Acura, plus the true Acura enthusiast in me wants the Type-S for a daily over the Beamer. I think an M440i or M4 makes for a nice weekend car but I’m not at that point just yet.

The TLX-S really has the special sauce and I know once I get that sauce I won’t be able to get enough of it lol
The following users liked this post:
BadMoonRyzen (10-14-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 11:27 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
The reputation/perception of a car nowadays is a collection of regurgitated opinions formed by someone you don't know on the internet.
The looks are incredible, the tech is great and like you said Honda reliable (although by comparison to your 94 I'm sure you wouldn't like working on these new ones...all the vacuum lines and electronic connections everywhere)...I love that car.

If they made a manual version of it, it would have been a strong contender for me.
Congras and welcome back!
MarcoTLX (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
The reputation/perception of a car nowadays is a collection of regurgitated opinions formed by someone you don't know on the internet.
The looks are incredible, the tech is great and like you said Honda reliable (although by comparison to your 94 I'm sure you wouldn't like working on these new ones...all the vacuum lines and electronic connections everywhere)...I love that car.

If they made a manual version of it, it would have been a strong contender for me.
Congras and welcome back!
Agreed! Such a good looking, well built, over engineered vehicle. When I drive it I get the feeling I can wring the piss out of it on the daily like my GSR all those years ago and it will just take the abuse and ask for more. I'm a manual purist, actually took my drivers license test on one the day I turned 16. That being said today's automatics are for sure faster, and engaging, just not quite as engaging as a manual.
rockstar143 (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 05:53 AM
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine! Congrats on the new and phenomenal ride!
Old 10-14-2022, 06:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ascension
Welcome to Acurazine! Congrats on the new and phenomenal ride!
Thanks!
Old 10-14-2022, 06:42 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Originally Posted by BadMoonRyzen
Agreed! Such a good looking, well built, over engineered vehicle. When I drive it I get the feeling I can wring the piss out of it on the daily like my GSR all those years ago and it will just take the abuse and ask for more. I'm a manual purist, actually took my drivers license test on one the day I turned 16. That being said today's automatics are for sure faster, and engaging, just not quite as engaging as a manual.
these 8 9 and 10 speeds are the shit.
i have an S4 with a 7 speed dsg that is a hell of a shifting beast...but with that said, I find that I enjoy almost any car more when it's stick.
but for day to day...one vehicle only, this is the way to go.
I'm really glad you're enjoying it. I don't think there are enough happy shares about the tlx.
BadMoonRyzen (10-14-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Finally got tint installed!

MarcoTLX (10-29-2022)