Villeneuve: Schumacher won't be remembered

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,798 Likes on 13,981 Posts
Villeneuve: Schumacher won't be remembered

And IMO, Senna is indeed the greatest...

From tsn.ca...

Jacques Villeneuve says Michael Schumacher will not be remembered among the greats of Formula One, despite the records he currently holds.

The former BMW-Sauber driver lashes out at his former rival, calling him a liar and a dirty driver, adding he will never be held in the same regard as Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost or Nigel Mansell.

"He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him," Villeneuve tells F1 Racing magazine in an interview to be published next week.

"Senna, by contrast, will never be forgotten. Some of that is the James Dean factor, of course, because he was killed in action at a young age, but not all of it. I don't even think Michael will live on in people's memories as strong or as long as Prost has - certainly not as strong or as long as Mansell has. Those people attained a hero status that Michael never has and never will."

The most famous clash between Schumacher and Villeneuve was in 1997, the Canadian's second season in Formula One. Driving for Williams, Villeneuve was in the hunt for the world championship with only Schumacher standing in his way. At the final race of the season, the European Grand Prix at Jerez, Villeneuve made a move to pass Schumacher for the lead on lap 47. After getting on the inside of the Ferrari driver, Schumacher deliberately turned into Villeneuve in an attempt to take him out of the race. Instead, Schumacher's car became beached in the gravel trap and his race was over. Villeneuve was able to limp home in third and clinch the world title.

After the season, Schumacher was stripped of all his championship points - but not his results - for the 1997 season.

Villeneuve says Schumacher has constantly lied, to his fans and his fellow drivers, and his antics on the track are not the actions of a true champion.

"Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being," said Villeneuve. "Yes, Senna played dirty tricks too but he did it with more class, more integrity. When he took Prost out at Suzuka in 1990, he said he was going to do it before the race."

"Unlike Michael, who ridiculously insisted he was innocent at Monaco this year, Senna said, 'Yes, I did it. But I told you before the race that I was going to do it.' That's very different from what Michael did at Monaco and Jerez (in 1997) and Adelaide (in 1994)."

At Monaco earlier this year, Schumacher failed to negotiate the final turn in the dying seconds of qualifying and ended up blocking the circuit. That denied Renault's Fernando Alonso a chance to set a faster lap and claim the pole for the race. Even though the German was penalized for his actions, he maintained that he simply made a mistake - something that Villeneuve says is simply not true.

"It's quite sad, really - because the reason Michael did what he did is that he thinks he's better than the rest of us," says the former world champion. "He thinks he's bigger than the sport, too, but he isn't. And when he retires, and no one really remembers him, that will become clear."

Villeneuve's season - and likely his F1 career - came to an end at the Hungarian Grand Prix when he was replaced by BMW-Sauber test driver Robert Kubica. Villeneuve, who last won a Grand Prix race on September 28, 1997, believes the team will find it hard to chase wins next season.

"If BMW plan to win races in 2007 then they absolutely should have kept me," he tells the German publication Bild.

On the topic of his future, Villeneuve says "only one small team" has come forward with an offer for next season.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:33 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ow he sounds bitter.

I guess michael should run into a corner at 200 mph and prove him wrong.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,123 Likes on 806 Posts
Villeneuve's ego is incredible, even for a world champion. Although his criticism of Schumacher is somewhat justified, he needs to look in the mirror first.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,120 Likes on 3,620 Posts
JV needs a serious smack-down. I used to really like this guy, even frequent his place in Montreal race weekend but now . . . . Senna was a low-down dirty racer as well, maybe more so. I mean taking Prost out in Japan at the first corner at 150+ mph is not for the faint of heart now is it?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,123 Likes on 806 Posts
10 years from now, who will be remembered more? Schumacher or Villeneuve. nuff said

Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Villeneuve's ego is incredible, even for a world champion. Although his criticism of Schumacher is somewhat justified, he needs to look in the mirror first.
LOL...but, if one didn't know F1 drivers fought like teenage girls, it'd be a sign of not knowing a big aspect of the sport!

It's not surprising...just really amusing, that's all.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

the funniest part is who will be forgotten first? I'm betting by the end of the season people will have forgotten about JV-least everyone who doesn't live in Montreal anyways.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
the funniest part is who will be forgotten first? I'm betting by the end of the season people will have forgotten about JV-least everyone who doesn't live in Montreal anyways.

Since his victory, he's been quite the whiner.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
ow he sounds bitter.

I guess michael should run into a corner at 200 mph and prove him wrong.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
JV has always come off as being a "dick" (to me anyway), and this just makes him seem like more of an ass. What is the point of slamming shumi and senna etc,........he is looking for attn because he knows he will be forgotten before this F1 season is done. Everyone is familiar with what he thinks of Shumi, so why does he keep rambling on about it? I look forward to reading this interview in the next F1 Racing mag (which is a great mag btw) when it comes out.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JV has been whining for the longest time, since he switched to BAR at the very least, I think.
I think he cannot live with the fact that he made a mistake jumping to an unproven team that was stuck in the middle of the pack for the longest time, and now F1 has passed him by and it's time for a newer bunch of racers to make their name.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I hear the name Villeneuve I don't think of Jacques. Nuff' said.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 697 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Billiam
When I hear the name Villeneuve I don't think of Jacques. Nuff' said.
It's going to suck without someone outspoken like Villeneuve in F1

He's right about Shumacher, the guy's a cheater even though he's a really really good driver. The sad thing is he doesn't even have to cheat and he would still have all the records.

It's too bad about Villeneuve, he wasted his career by going to BAR and for the past few years he's just been a has-been.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
10 years from now, who will be remembered more? Schumacher or Villeneuve. nuff said

Villeneuve is a whiny little biotch that needs to get over teh fact he isnt a great racing legend and tht MS is better than he is!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent events haven't been Michael's shining momemts:

- accident during safety car at Monaco
- stopping on the track during qualifying
- passing someone during a red flag condition (might have won the race and really tightened the championship)

However when he retires, I'm sure pretty much all he'll be remembered for is being 7 time (or more) world champion, and basically having most of records (sort of like Gretsky). Like in any sport, no one remembers second-best.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2006, 04:38 AM
Senior Moderator

JV's assertion is utterly ridiculous. He will likely have twice as many wins as the next guy (Prost at 51) when he retires. That number alone is enough to ensure infamy, ditto 7 WC's vs. the next runner-up's of 5.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 697 Likes on 418 Posts
JV's assertion is utterly ridiculous. He will likely have twice as many wins as the next guy (Prost at 51) when he retires. That number alone is enough to ensure infamy, ditto 7 WC's vs. the next runner-up's of 5.
Yep, JV was probably upset when he said this. Any good publicist would have told him to keep his mouth shut (where was Craig Pollock??)
Old 08-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ Craig was out torpedoing another driver's career at the moment and missed the interview.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^^ Craig was out torpedoing another driver's career at the moment and missed the interview.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:05 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Kubica > JV
Old 09-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C

I will remember them both.... wait you meant junior... I thought you meant Gilles... never mind Jackie has a better shot at being remembered for singing!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

from F1 Racing interview w/ JV:

"DTM, IRL, Champ Car? I'm sorry. They're a step down from F1. NASCAR isn't."

"Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being. Yes, Senna played dirty tricks too, but he did it with more class, more integrity."

"All that rubbish about me being difficult to work with was a direct result of me not having that kind of support from my teams in the past-Williams, BAR, whoever. I've never been an arsehole to work with. That was always crap."

Me thinks thou does protest too much And a quote lifted from the past on Richards:

"I was over the moon when he got fired. Sadly I didn't have anything to do with it, but it still felt good. Vengeance is always sweet."
Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

www.tsn.ca

Villeneuve: The real reason I left F1

Jacques Villeneuve says he left Formula One because he didn't want to be a part of a potential "shoot-out" with test driver Robert Kubica.

The former world champion tells Autosport magazine he bears no ill-will towards BMW-Sauber but given his track record in the sport, he didn't feel he should be compared to an F1 rookie.

"After having been in F1 for 10 years and having won the championship and so on, I wasn't ready to stay home some weekends just to see how the other guy would go and to then be compared to him," Villeneuve tells the publication in an exclusive interview.

"Not because I was worried that he would go faster or slower, it could happen both ways and that would be life. It's just not something that anybody that's been there and won races would accept basically, that's all.

"I knew that after that I wouldn't be able to give everything I had. It just doesn't feel fair, so I wouldn't be able to train like a maniac and take all the risks that I took racing, basically."

Villeneuve added his decision to leave BMW-Sauber was quite different than his departure from BAR-Honda back in 2003. The Canadian left the team he started with manager Craig Pollock prior to the Japanese Grand Prix after it became clear the squad were going to replace him with Takuma Sato the following season.

"By (the Japanese GP) that year I was actually extremely angry and bitter. It was just heavy. The season had been unbearable, and it had been made unbearable, and it was just hell.

"This time there wasn't really bitterness, it was just matter of fact. This has happened, OK, it doesn't make me happy, I don't want to work my butt off for the rest of the season if it's like that, and then to wait until November and maybe there would be a decision for the year after."

Villeneuve reiterated that if he continues competitive racing, it will likely be in the NASCAR series, ruling out a return to Champ Car or any other open-wheel form of racing.

"In open wheel racing, if you've won F1, there's nothing above it. I don't want to race just for the sake of racing. I've got other things in my life. Le Mans could be a fun thing, because it's a special race to win, but that's the only reason for it. You can't make a career out of that, but you can do it until later anyway, so there's no rush.

"If I was going to drive again, it would have to be NASCAR, that's all... Basically it's something you have to learn from scratch, and I think that's what would make it interesting and exciting. When you start at the bottom of the ladder and have to learn, you really have to outdo yourself, it makes it exciting."

If Villeneuve succeeds in landing a NASCAR ride, he will not be alone. Fellow F1 competitor Juan Pablo Montoya is set to make his Nextel Cup debut next year while fellow open-wheel racer Patrick Carpentier is trying to land a Busch Series ride for 2007.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I'm a fan but he's getting pathetic. He hasn't done a bloody thing in an F1 car since 1997 yet expects respect? Doesn't work that way.