US Vintage GP at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,882 Likes on 3,492 Posts
US Vintage GP at the Glen

This year, David Hobbs is Grand Marshall! I'll get to hang out with him all weekend, gonna be awesome.

The Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix comes to The Glen on September 7-9, 2018.

SHARE:

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (May 3, 2018) – Watkins Glen International announced today that David Hobbs has accepted an invitation to serve as Grand Marshal for the Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix at The Glen, September 7-9.

Hobbs, a former racing driver with over 30 years of experience including time in Formula One, will recite the most famous words in motorsports on September 9 prior to the New York Governor’s Cup race. He will also make several appearances throughout the weekend including autograph sessions, media interviews, and more.

“We are very pleased to welcome David to Watkins Glen International and the Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix,” said WGI President Michael Printup. “This event has become one of the country’s most celebrated vintage racing weekends, and we are honored to include David Hobbs as our Grand Marshal.”

Hobbs’ career included international driving experience at all levels of motorsports, including INDYCAR, IMSA, Can-Am, and Formula One. He has participated in the Indianapolis 500 and the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. He also made twenty starts in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, earning two podium finishes in 1969 and 1984. Hobbs is a former Trans-Am Series champion (1983), and made two Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts in 1976, including the Daytona 500. The England native currently works as a Formula One commentator for NBC and NBC Sports Network. Hobbs was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 2009.

“Watkins Glen International has always been one of my favorite tracks,” said Hobbs. “My first race here was the Six Hours in 1968 in the Gulf Wyer GT40 where I came 2nd, mandated, to our sister car driven by Jackie Ickz on the original track. When they added [the boot], it became, and still remains, one of the most challenging circuits in North America. I loved it.”

Don’t miss a moment of the action and nostalgia at one of the most prestigious vintage events held in the United States – the Hilliard U.S. Vintage Grand Prix at The Glen, September 7-9, featuring the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA), and Trans-Am Championship. For tickets, camping, and additional information, log on to www.theglen.com or call 1-866-461-RACE.

Located within five (5) hours (~300 miles) of 25% of the US population, Watkins Glen International is the premier road racing facility in North America, twice voted “Best NASCAR Track” by readers of USA Today. Keep up with The Glen on Facebook and Twitter. For tickets, camping, and additional information, call 1-866-461-RACE or visit www.theglen.com.