Old 03-23-2005 | 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Schumacher gives new Ferrari thumbs up

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

[23/03/05 - 18:43]

Schumacher gives new Ferrari thumbs up

After first test at Mugello

Schumacher in the F2005 at Mugello

Michael Schumacher has given Ferrari's new car the thumbs up after testing it out for the first time here Wednesday.

The seven-time World Champion drove the F2005 at the Italian team's Mugello test track near Florence and his initial impression was positive. The German completed a total of 81 laps, (one on the short version of the track) setting a best time of 1’21”233.

"It's always a great feeling to get behind the wheel of a new car," said the 36-year-old German. "It was wonderful to get in it and finally drive it. It was important for me to try it for myself after the positive feedback from Luca Badoer and Rubens Barichello."

“What I can say after the first day of testing is that the F2005 seems to be a good step forward compared to what we had before,” added Schumacher.

Ferrari have taken just 10 points from the first two races and they are considering whether to use the new car at the Bahrain Grand Prix on April 3 as they look to improve on their poor start to the season.

Schumacher is lying in 11th place in the drivers' championship with just two points, 14 adrift of Renault's Fernando Alonso.

On Tuesday, Barrichello tried out the new car only to end his session prematurely when the car suffered from a mechanical problem. However, despite the mishap Ferrari's number two driver was impressed. "I was really happy with the handling of the car which is extremely quick," said the Brazilian.

H.G.
Source AFP / Ferrari Press
Old 03-24-2005 | 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

I saw this too and wondered, what's he supposed to say? The car's a piece of shit? Cynical yes but it's all about perception in F1 and the other teams surely are awaiting the new Ferrari's arrival to see how well it fares. Can't wait myself come to think of it.
Old 03-25-2005 | 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I saw this too and wondered, what's he supposed to say? The car's a piece of shit? Cynical yes but it's all about perception in F1 and the other teams surely are awaiting the new Ferrari's arrival to see how well it fares. Can't wait myself come to think of it.

I tend to be cynical as well with F1 "news" but in this case they do still have the F2004M which is on pace with everyone except maybe Renault and would probably have them as well if it weren't for tires. Given the fact that if the F2005 sucked they could still race the F2004M and pressure Bridgestone for better tires, I suspect it is a better chassis, and we know the engine is strong as we have already seen it race. The word is the F2005 will be much easier on the tires. Guess we shall see, but I wouldn't doubt that the full potential of the new car won't be seen until the fly-aways are over.

Vandy