Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:23 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Report: Schumacher on the way out, Raikkonen to move to Ferrari in 2007

Report: Schumacher on the way out, Raikkonen to move to Ferrari in 2007
25/08/2005 12:30:00 PM

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) - Michael Schumacher's future at Ferrari appears in doubt.

German daily Bild reported Thursday that Kimi Raikkonen and Ferrari signed a preliminary deal in May. (AP Photo/Str)
German daily Bild reported Thursday that the seven-time Formula One champion will make way for Kimi Raikkonen when Schumacher's contract expires after next season. Raikkonen now drives for McLaren-Mercedes. Bild said Raikkonen and Ferrari signed a preliminary deal in May. Chief Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni denied that it had already signed any drivers beyond 2006.

"We have two drivers under contract for 2006: Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa. After that we don't have anybody signed yet," Colajanni said.

Raikkonen denied he was contemplating a move, but did not definitively rule out switching teams.

"Why should I be thinking about a move? I am in a situation most Formula One drivers can only dream about," the Finnish driver said in a statement released by McLaren.

"I'm winning races, I'm still challenging for the world championships, the team is fantastic and I have a great relationship with everybody here - so why would I want to even consider changing?" asked Raikkonen.

The newspaper said its story came from an "absolutely reliable source."

Schumacher won five straight championships for Ferrari but the car has not competed well this year with Renault and McLaren-Mercedes dominating.

Bild reported earlier this week that Schumacher would leave Ferrari for McLaren-Mercedes when his contract expires. Schumacher responded with a statement stressing his close relationship with the Italian manufacturer.

McLaren director Ron Dennis said "the team is not in discussions with any other driver, including Michael Schumacher, about a possible Team McLaren Mercedes race seat" in a statement Thursday.

"We anticipate long-term relationships with both Kimi, who is currently competing in his fourth season with us, and Juan Pablo (Montoya)," added Dennis.

But Bild said Ferrari had balked at Schumacher's manager, Willy Weber's demand for more money for a contract extension. According to the report, Weber was asking for 40 million euros ($58.5 million Cdn) per year for Schumacher, which Bild said was a five-million-euro ($7.3 million Cdn) increase on his current contract.

Raikkonen has won five races this season for McLaren and is second in the drivers' standings behind Renault's Fernando Alonso. Schumacher is third.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Raikkonen denies a move to Ferrari in 2007

Kimi Raikkonen

TSN.ca Staff

8/25/2005 9:24:24 AM

Both Ferrari and McLaren are denying a report out of Germany which claims Kimi Raikkonen is set to join Ferrari in 2007.

The German publication Bild, citing an "absolutely reliable source", claims Raikkonen has already come to terms with Ferrari with the deal being finalized back in May.

But a Ferrari spokesperson says the team has not made any commitments with any other drivers for 2007.

"We already have two drivers under contract for the 2006 season. It is too soon to start talking about the 2007 season."

The report comes on the heels of another report which claimed Michael Schumacher was prepared to join McLaren once his contract with the Maranello team expires after 2006. The seven-time world champion quickly denied those reports.

Raikkonen also moved quickly to deny the reports of his imminent departure.

"As I have said on a number of occasions this season already when asked about the rumours, I'm completely happy with my team," he said in a statement.

"I don't think there is any doubt that we have the fastest package on winning races, I'm still challenging for the world championship, the team is fantastic and I have a great relationship with everybody here so why would I want to consider changing?

"Surely I am in a position that most drivers in Formula One want to be in."

McLaren boss Ron Dennis added he anticipates a "long-term relationship" with both Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

interesting, interesting
Old 08-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

F1, drama? Never...

Side note: why did you start this thread in Automotive News? This should be in Motorsports News.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Personally, I'd be very surprised if Schumacher left Ferrari.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:01 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,139 Likes on 820 Posts
I can believe that Schumacher would jump ship if offered more money elsewhere, he's already done it before when he left Benetton. Besides, Ferrari sux.

I don't understand why Raikkonen would contemplate a move, since McLaren is so much better than Ferrari right now, except unless Ferrari is offering him more $ than McLaren.

Why would McLaren pay Schumacher $50mil a year, when (1) they already have Montoya & Raikkonen, and (2) Schumacher would be 38 by 2007?

This just doesn't make much sense for anyone involved except for Schumacher. Maybe Dieter Zetsche is just a huge Schumacher fan.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
I can believe that Schumacher would jump ship if offered more money elsewhere, he's already done it before when he left Benetton. Besides, Ferrari sux.

I don't understand why Raikkonen would contemplate a move, since McLaren is so much better than Ferrari right now, except unless Ferrari is offering him more $ than McLaren.

Why would McLaren pay Schumacher $50mil a year, when (1) they already have Montoya & Raikkonen, and (2) Schumacher would be 38 by 2007?

This just doesn't make much sense for anyone involved except for Schumacher. Maybe Dieter Zetsche is just a huge Schumacher fan.

Ferrari sucks Have you been under a rock the past few years? Ya they are having tire problems this year but they may easily be dominating again next. WHo wouldnt want to drive for Ferrari
Old 08-25-2005, 03:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

While I think Ferrari's problems this year run deeper than just poor tires, they hardly suck. And I agree that they could be back on top next season.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh I love it. A tyre supplier has a rough time and the best team in F1 is now horrible.

There is no forgetting how good McLaren can be. They are they only team that even-up has been as good as the Ferrari/MS combo. But I believe Hakkinen saw the writing on the wall and bailed at the perfect time. It's just now (6 years later) that McLaren are putting the pieces back together and are clearly the class of the Michelin field.

Let's not forget that in 2007 we're likely to be back to a single tire supplier. Who do you suppose can get the most of the Bridgestones - Ferrari or McLaren?

As for money - at least of half of Michael's 80 mill is said to come from Marlboro - not really Ferrari. Does McLaren have a sponsor or is Ron willing to Pony that much up? There's now doubt he could if he wanted to - the only other team in paddock that could even entertain this notion - I seriously doubt he'd want to though.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I'm obviously biased against Ferrari If Ferrari ever offered me a ride (not that they'd ever do that), I would reject it out of principle.

However, Ferrari does have quite a few problems. The Stones aren't doing too well, but I suspect the car is not that quick either. Money woes with Fiat and potentially with Marlboro doesn't look good. Losing key personnel to other teams.

Who really has the deepest pocket in F-1? Obviously, if Toyota and Mercedes really wanted to, they could easily outspend Ferrari.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:46 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
I'm obviously biased against Ferrari If Ferrari ever offered me a ride (not that they'd ever do that), I would reject it out of principle.
ahh.ok IC

Who really has the deepest pocket in F-1? Obviously, if Toyota and Mercedes really wanted to, they could easily outspend Ferrari.
If they wanted too , Doesnt really matter.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
MS is leaving because he's RETIRING!!

KR is NEVER going to Ferrari.

If any new driver goes to Ferrari it's going to be Valentino Rossi.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Astroboy
Valentino Rossi.

I'd love to see that. Would be interesting to say the least.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,631 Likes on 5,389 Posts
I've read reports of KR going to Ferrari..... at some point.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I'd love to see that. Would be interesting to say the least.
Rossi test-drove an F1 car for one of the teams (forgot which one) several months ago - his basic sentiment was, I'm not gonna drive in F1, it's too boring.' I need to find that article. After reading it, yeah I seriously doubt he will enter F1.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
I need to find that article.

Please do
Old 08-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

ok... I don't have the source yet but here is the article. I imagine it was from something like F1-live or F1-daily or one of those sites... but this is a Q&A with Rossi.

Valentino Rossi, no fan of the pre-race press conference, enlivened the Assen Q&A session by announcing that there was no way he would be going to Formula1. When asked how he saw his future in F1, he replied. "I don't see any future, I'll be staying in bike till I quit. I can't remember the last time I watched an F1 race. I don't see the way the sport is that I would get any satisfaction from it. The only thing the drivers do is drive the car to the start line." Ouch!

Rossi, whose contract with Yamaha is up the end of the year, reckoned that he would go for one-year contracts from here on in. "The thing that I like is developing a bike and winning with it and the team. When I stop enjoying that, then I'll quit and go for a quiet life. I know I tried rally driving but to go from the ultimate in two-wheeled technology to a Fiat Punto isn't that appealing either, to be honest." Rossi - bikes or nothing? Oh yes and after the press conference he took his scooter out and wheelied the entire length of the Assen circuit, all 5,997 metres of it. For the hell of it, one imagines and, of course, because he can.
still looking for more info...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
I've read reports of KR going to Ferrari..... at some point.
oops.. forget that.

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...25172649.shtml

[25/08/05 - 17:25]

Raikkonen pledges future to McLaren

‘I'm completely happy with my team’

McLaren driver Kimi Raikkonen on Thursday pledged his future to the British Formula One stable, pouring cold water on reports he had signed a contract for rivals Ferrari.

"There's no doubt we have the fastest package, I'm winning races and I'm feeling well in the team, so why would I even consider changing teams?"

Raikkonen said after a report in Germany's Bild newspaper that the Finn had signed a precontract to race for Ferrari in 2007.

"Surely, I'm in a position most of Formula One drivers want to be in," said Raikkonen. "I want to win races and world championships with McLaren. Ever since I came into Formula One, there have been speculations about my future, so there is nothing new for me. As I've said many times, I'm completely happy with my team."

McLaren boss Ron Dennis said Raikkonen and fellow team driver Juan Pablo Montoya were there to stay.

"McLaren is locked in a battle for the drivers and manufacturers championships and everybody in the team from the drivers to the mechanics is 100 percent focused on this.

"We anticipate long term relationships with both Kimi and Juan Pablo and consequently, the team is not in negociations with any other driver, including Michael Schumacher," concluded Ron Dennis.

Source AFP
Old 08-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

hmm.... I guess Rossi had a 180-degree different view of F1 until just earlier this month.....

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4382/

Valentino Rossi test drives Ferrari F1 Car

August 6, 2005 The prospects of the World’s best motorcycle racer switching to Formula 1 Motor Racing were enhanced significantly this week when Italian World Motorcycle champion Valentino Rossi tested the Ferrari F2005 car for two complete days at Ferrari’s private Fiorano test facility, lapping fast enough for former Ferrari test-driver Jean Alesi to describe his performance as “formidable”. Apart from Rossi’s 58.3 second lap of Fiorano (Michael Schumacher's track record is 55.999), further indication of the importance of the test was evident when Ferrari CEO Luca di Montezemolo and F1 supremo Jean Todt were on hand for the drive.

At the end of the second day of testing at Fiorano, the Moto GP World Champion showed his satisfaction: “I wanted to get a better understanding of a Formula 1 car and I would like to thank Ferrari for giving me the opportunity to do so. The two days were intensive and interesting. I completed a lot of kilometres and I began to understand the handling of the car, working with the engineers and (Ferrari test driver) Marc Gené. I go back to the two wheels where there is still a long way to go to the end of the season.”

It was the second time that Rossi has driven a Formula 1 car, having put in 20 laps in April last year. Two solid days in an F1 car is more than simply satisfying a whim, leading to the heightened speculation that a deal has already been agreed to between Rossi and Ferrari. Rossi extended his MotoGP contract with Yamaha on Monday until the end of the 2006 season, just a few days before Ferrari announced it was replacing Rubens Barrichello with Felipe Massa. That Ferrari signed Massa for only one year could be co-nincidence but it has fuelled speculation Rossi could make the much anticipated move to Ferrari in 2007.

Ex-Ferrari driver Jean Alesi was quoted in Corriere della Sera, “Fifty-eight-three in the summer, meaning in non-ideal conditions – formidable.'' “Valentino makes me dream and I say he has nothing to lose. Go ahead and try it. Everyone likes him, from the Italians to the Japanese.''

Rossi left Honda after winning three world titles in the premier class, “in search of a challenge” and more than found the measure of his challenge, taking an uncompetitive motorcycle to a World championship in 2004, and developing it into a completely formidable machine in 2005. With ten rounds of the world championship run, Rossi has won eight of them and leads the title by 120 points – effectively five wins, with seven races to go.

Clearly, he will be in search of another challenge before long.

The irony is that by moving to F1, Rossi would breathe much needed life into both series – his dominance of MotoGP would end (since the beginning of 2001 he has won 48 of 74 Grands Prix, and 11 of the last 13 races) and he would focus attention on F1 like never before with his massive supporter base.

While many people believe Rossi has what it takes to make the switch, Renault F1 principal Flavio Briatore is not one of them, telling Corriere della Sera, "It would be great to have Valentino in F1, but he wouldn't have even a minimal chance of winning."

For Italian motor racing fans, the prospect of an Italian driving an Italian car to a world championship would be very special. it hasn't happened since Ascari won more than a half a century ago. And from another perspective, only one man in history has won the Formula 1 Championship and the World MotoGP Championship (then the World 500cc Championship) – Englishman John Surtees.

Now there’s a challenge fit for Valentino!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

here's one of the sources that lists what I originally posted... this is undoubtedly elsewhere as well. but yeah. I guess it's old news.

http://www.superbike.co.uk/content/report_614.htm
Old 08-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

you're way fucking behind dood
Old 08-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

daMNIT
Old 08-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Instructor

LOL srika

Word is now that KR has a signed pre-deal with Ferrari (they officially deny it) for 2007 (that's the first year MS is not signed for). MS has said today that he will decide next year whether he will continue in F1 or retire (he is signed through next year). MS will NOT go anywhere else.

It all depends on the V8 rules and how well Ferrari adapts. If they do pretty well next year and considering whatever rule changes will be going into effect in 2007 (tyres etc) - MS may well stay. I bet if Bridgestone gets a few more good teams next year and gets the practice in place they will be on par with Michelin again.

If MS stays for 2007 Massa's 1 year deal will be up and Rossi's Yamaha deal will be up and (supposedly) KR will be available also. So Ferrari can pick and choose who to partner MS with. I would bet that sometime next year MS will anounce that 2007 will be his farewell tour. If they can do it they will partner him with KR to pass the torch. If KR doesn't work out they will try for Rossi for the Tifosi (can you imagine San Marino or Italy if he drives a Ferrari?!). If Massa has a good year and they can't get either of those guys maybe he keeps his seat.

If MS decides that 2006 is it, Ferrari will have 2 empty spots open - wow.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

kighter, wtf r u talking about?
I already said MS is retiring, Massa will stay at Ferrari, and Rossi will join him.

the KR-->Ferrari move will NEVER happen. If Kimi were to go anywhere, it would NOT be Ferrari, that i can guarantee you.

it was no coincidence that VR signed until the end of 06 right after driving the Ferrari again. he decided to make the move, talked and drove for Ferrari so they could be sure they'd be happy with him as MS's replacement.
It's been an even longer dream for Ferrari to have an Italian driver than it was for B.A.R to get a Jap in the hot seat. This is as good as done, mark my words.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Instructor

I'm agreeing with you Astroboy - sort of. MS has NOT made up his mind about retiring. If next year goes very very poorly then yeah he might bail. I guess he might even retire if he runs away with the title again. But I'm betting he announces that he will drive in 2007 as his "farewell tour." In which case it will be between Rossi, Massa and the rumored top line driver (KR?)

But if Ferrari ponied up $30 mill you can damn well guarantee that KR or anyone else would indeed go to Ferrari.

As for Rossi, he will not be a sub for KR but might well replace Massa if indeed MS stays.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

this just arrived in my email.... from a reputable source...

Rossi and Raikkonen at Ferrari in 2007?
A three year deal for Valentino Rossi?

Valentino Rossi is on the verge of clinching his fifth straight MotoGP
title at Motegi in a three weeks time as rumours and reports from
Italy, specifically La Repubblica suggest that the Italian star has signed a
three year deal to join Ferrari in 2007 for an estimated 80 million Euros.

La Repubblica suggests that Rossi and Kimi Raikkonen will be the 2007
lineup for the once dominant champions.

There has been nothing official on this from Ferrari who just took up
an option on the services of Felipe Massa to partner Michael Schumacher
next year. Schumacher himself is under contract to the squad until the end
of 2006 and according to reports, will await the first tests of the F2006
before making any decision as to whether he will remains with the team,
move to pastures new, or retire from the sport.

The Rossi-Ferrari link is nothing new, but recent test with the teams
seem to indicate the two parties are moving closer to a long- term working
relationship and Rossi is believed to be conducting another two tests
this year for Ferrari. His new contract with Yamaha is a one year extension
and is up at the end of 2006.

Of course, a lot of Ferrari's 2007 lineup will depend on how
competitive the team is next year and how well Felipe Massa performs alongside
Schumacher. As it stands, Ferrari and tyre partner Bridgestone are
between one and two seconds a lap off the pace at many Grand Prix. Should the
team return to its winning ways in 2006, Raikkonen and Rossi may well be
more inclined to make the move.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

oh yea the source is:

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/index2.html?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Read about it until your eyes bleed!
http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...threadid=81534
Would love to see it happen
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Michael had to retire sonner than later, and the Iceman to Ferrari??? Why would he want to do that. Money?? RD and Mercedes will fork over all the cash he wants as long as he keep performing!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
ABP TSX

Raikkonen and Ferrari

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16325.html

There are reports across Europe that Kimi Raikkonen has now inked a deal to join Ferrari in 2007, whether Michael Schumacher is there or not. Stories have been published in various Finnish newspapers, in Germany where the magazine Express has quoted a Ferrari sources saying that the deal is done and in Spain where Fernando Alonso's confidant Adrian Campos has been quoted as saying that Raikkonen will not be Alonso's team mate next year.

The speculation should not , in theory, have any effect on the performance of Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa as Schumacher will not want to show any signs of weakness if he is going to go up against Raikkonen next year and may not much care if he is planning to retire, while Massa will need good performances if he is going to be out looking for a job again in 2007.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Add that to the rumor of Schumacher starting his own team in 2007. Silly season starts early this year.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Report: Michael to remain with Ferrari

TSN.ca Staff

3/14/2006 9:51:14 AM

German media reports indicate Michael Schumacher may have already put pen to paper on a new deal with Ferrari.

The unconfirmed reports say Schumacher has signed a new two year deal with the Scuderia. His current contract with the team is set to expire at the end of this season.

Schumacher, the oldest driver in the F1 series this year, has indicated in the past that he would not make up his mind about his future until sometime this summer, waiting to see whether or not Ferrari will be a competitive force in 2006.

Schumacher's manager, Willi Weber, tells German newspaper Bild that they will not be making any statements about his future until this summer. However, he added that "positive results" certainly wouldn't hurt.

Schumacher is coming off a second place finish in the season opening race in Bahrain last weekend.

The German reports also indicate that Kimi Raikkonen has agreed to join Ferrari next season as well. The Finn's future has also been the subject of much speculation this winter.

Reliability issues at McLaren are expected to be the main factor behind whether or not he elects to stay with the team.

The team appeared not to do itself any favours after Raikkonen suffered a suspension failure in qualifying last weekend. However, the Finn battled back from last place on the grid to finish third in Sunday's race.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
MS until 2008?

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...threadid=86186
Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I hope shui stays with Ferrari till 08