Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 5,419 Likes on 3,709 Posts
Old 03-30-2020, 07:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Nelson Piquet: From the boot of Bernie Ecclestone’s car to three-time champion

https://sports.yahoo.com/nelson-piqu...050000364.html

Piquet, always a bit of a character (sometimes negative), but also quite a racer and champion.
Piquet, Ecclestone, and Murray made a formable team at Bramham in the early 80's.
2 WDC in 3 years.

Four decades on from Nelson Piquet’s maiden victory, the man who discovered him is recalling their first shared Formula One memory.

“When we found Nelson in Brazil, he came to the track locked in the boot of my car,” explains Bernie Ecclestone.

“We didn’t have any passes for him but Nelson didn’t care. He was old school. He would clean the car. He would pitch in with the mechanics. He was willing to sleep on the floor if he had to. He would do whatever you wanted. He was desperate to be in Formula One.”

Piquet would go on to become a triple world champion. Monday marks the 40th anniversary of his first of 23 victories in the sport, ranking him 12th on the all-time list.

Under deep blue Californian skies on March 30, 1980, Piquet delivered a trademark lights-to-flag victory for the Ecclestone-run Brabham team at Long Beach.

It was perhaps ironic that he would claim his maiden triumph on Californian soil, for it was there where his disapproving father, a prominent Brazilian politician, packed him off as a teenager to tennis school.

But Piquet’s ambition was to become a Formula One world champion. He returned to his homeland, dropping the surname Souto Maior and adopting his mother’s maiden name of Piquet, in a bid to conceal his four-wheeled obsession.

He won back-to-back karting championships. A move to Europe beckoned, and, after romping to the British Formula Three title, he was picked up by Ecclestone.

“When Nelson came to England, he didn’t know where he was going to stay, so he told me he would happily sleep under the truck,” continues Ecclestone.

“So, on the first day of testing in 1979, I said to one of our mechanics, Bob Dance: ‘Put a sleeping bag under the truck, and tell Nelson that is where he is sleeping. Then we will see if he is really that keen.’ He had no problem with it.

“Nelson suddenly discovered a good English sense of humour. He was special. He was a super competitor. He wanted to win.”

Piquet would deliver 13 victories and two titles across six seasons for Brabham. A big-money move – reported to be in the region of a then-record £3million – to Williams followed.

Piquet teamed up with Nigel Mansell at Williams for two seasons
It was with the British team where Piquet would be paired with Nigel Mansell, leading to one of sport’s most bitter and vicious rivalries.

Mansell hunted down and passed Piquet to win at Silverstone, in one of the best displays by a British driver in F1 history, but it was Piquet who would go on to take the 1987 title despite winning three races to Mansell’s six.

John Watson, a five-time grand prix winner who competed against both men, said: “Nigel was a formidable team-mate, and a very courageous driver but he wasn’t as astute and smart as Nelson was.

“Nigel would always say: ‘The car let me down’. So, Nelson would play on Nigel’s weaknesses. He would use any unpleasant mechanisms to get under the skin of his team-mate.

“Nelson knew how to garner a team round him. The Brabham guys loved him for that, and it was the same at Williams, too. Nigel relied solely on what he could do in the car.

“Nigel was the better racer. He was a street fighter with big balls. I never thought that about Nelson, but he understood how to win a world championship.”

Piquet’s 1987 triumph would prove to be his best, but final title. He left Williams to join Lotus and then to Benetton, but when he departed the sport in 1991 – making way for Michael Schumacher – his stock had fallen.

In an interview with Playboy magazine the season after he left Williams, Piquet described Mansell as an “uneducated blockhead with a stupid and ugly wife”.

“I thought that was disgusting and outside the rules of engagement to bring in a third party,” added Watson.

“If he had said that about anyone I was with at the time I would have f****** hit the guy smack in the face, and I don’t know why Nigel didn’t. He should have because Nelson deserved it.

“There was a nasty streak to Nelson and that is why my respect for him as a person is low.”

Does Ecclestone concur? “Don’t forget that Nigel is very English and we have got Nelson who is very Brazilian,” the 89-year-old replies.

“They are two completely different type of people, who think differently and sometimes say things that they don’t really understand.

“If you are in an argument and you want to put something over very strongly it is not easy to be thinking about English grammar.”

Ecclestone, who is hunkered down on his Brazilian farm amid the coronavirus pandemic, says he remains in close contact with his former driver.

“He is in good shape,” Ecclestone says of Piquet who will be 68 this summer. “Normally we would have caught up with each other, but with how the world is now it is not easy to do that.”
Old 03-30-2020, 09:33 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,121 Likes on 804 Posts
Too bad they didn't have Twitter back in the day!
Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Rediscover the cars of Nelson Piquet's F1 career

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/rediscov...133028503.html

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/nelson-p...154942679.html

Some nice pics and notes on Piquet, every F1 car he ever raced
Old 03-30-2020, 08:41 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I loved how every year, the cars looked completely different.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:53 AM
AZ Community Team

+1 yeah, there was so much change happening in the 70's-90's F1 cars and their apperance
Old 03-31-2020, 09:00 AM
AZ Community Team

How Schumacher and Todt transformed Ferrari

https://autos.yahoo.com/ferrari-spec...181659366.html

Most of this is well known, just condensed into a short article.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:00 AM
AZ Community Team

The fascinating story of McLaren's most iconic F1 car

https://autos.yahoo.com/fascinating-...094812623.html

One of the greatest F1 cars of all time

Amazing trio of Nichols, Murray and Oakley designers/engineers. From 1988-1993 their cars won 3 WCC, 3 WDC and 49 races.

The first of its successes came on this day 32 years ago when Alain Prost triumphed in the Brazilian Grand Prix. Here we look under its skin at the tech secrets that help make it such an F1 icon.

If we look through F1's history books, we can see fleeting moments where the stars align and suddenly one team has every ingredient needed for the winning recipe: an insanely talented driver pairing, the ideal design personnel and management structure, an unparalleled engine and a flawless chassis.

In 1988 McLaren had it all, a brilliant cocktail that helped it deliver one of the most dominant cars the sport has ever seen.

That's not to say it wasn't prepared, as the arrival of Honda as its new engine partner, had spawned the MP4/3B - a test mule that housed the Honda engine and was used to develop both the engine and car for the 1988 season.

But, with just four months to the first race of the season, the MP4/4 did not exist. And that's not just as a car: it didn't exist as a finished drawing either.

An extremely tight schedule prompted a no-nonsense approach, with not one aspect of the car able to take precedence over the other, as McLaren looked to create a totally solid all-rounder.

Outside the walls of McLaren a debate still rages as to who designed the MP4/4, as Gordon Murray's arrival from Brabham in the wake of John Barnard's move to Ferrari had seen Steve Nichols fill the management vacuum.

Looking at the lineage of cars during that era, it's clear to see that McLaren, much like the rest of the field, had already taken note of Murray's low-line design and also started to recline its drivers in the cockpit.

And, whether by the natural evolution of the McLaren challengers during this period or the fact it now had Murray on its side, it was clear to see the BT55's substrain of DNA within.

But new regulations requiring drivers' feet to be behind the front axle, and a reduction in the size of the fuel tank, meant McLaren would be able to push things further still for '88.

A decision was also taken to move away from Barnard's tradition of a V-shaped monocoque (seen here in 1986's MP4/2c) in favour of vertical sides that led to a flat floor. This not only had aerodynamic benefits, but also vastly improved the cars torsional stiffness.

Allied to this was McLaren's use of its own autoclave, which had arrived at great expense but allowed the team to bring manufacturing in-house.

Hercules Aerospace had been instrumental in McLaren's first full carbon fibre monocoque, introduced with the MP4/1, but with this car it would only supply the prepreg materials.

McLaren, short on time, bucked the trend with the design and manufacture of the monocoque, as whilst most of the grid had shifted to using a female mould, McLaren continued to use male tooling.

Not being led by one dominating factor, the MP4/4 had no stand-out features when it comes to the car's aerodynamics, an oddity when we consider its modern counterparts.

Nonetheless the car did feature three distinct aerodynamic configurations throughout the season, in order that it had the flexibility to overcome the challenges of a given circuit, which we will see in the gallery later on.

The design team had also literally flipped the script when it came to its sidepod design, with the Barnard style top outlet now to the side of the car, as seen on the MP4/1c below.

McLaren MP4-1C 1983 detailed overview

Senna's arrival from Lotus also saw the team make the switch to Honda, who would supply it with the 1.5 litre turbocharged engine it had been developing and would still continue to supply to Lotus.

Delivering in the region of 700bhp, the RA168-E was a new design that was not only extremely powerful but also very fuel efficient and, even by modern standards, incredibly reliable.

The RA168-E was designed as a result of the FIA's desire to reign in the turbocharged engines and restore some parity with their naturally aspirated brethren.

The 1988 regulations capped boost pressure at 2.5 bar, rather than 4 bar, whilst the total fuel at their disposal was reduced from 195 litres to 150 litres. The turbo runners were also handed a minimum weight handicap of 40kg over the 'atmos' cars, who were also allowed to carry 215 litres of fuel.

To recoup any potential losses, Honda worked on a special fuel blend with Shell to avoid premature detonation and required the fuel be preheated, such was its exotic aromatic hydrocarbon content.

This potent mixture helped to deliver a broad torque band that made the car much easier to drive than the now diminished turbocharged field and still provided an advantage over the 'atmos' cars.

The Honda engine featured a low crankshaft and was paired with a small clutch that had been developed by Tilton during 1987 for Lotus.

The Tilton carbon clutch measured just 5.5" in diameter and, whilst everyone else struggled on with 7.25" diameter clutches, the Tilton gave for superior heat management, smoother engagement, low inertia and high torque capacity that helped McLaren to deal with demands of the Honda engine.

With such a low crankshaft and small clutch, some lateral thinking was required when it came to McLaren's gearbox design.

To overcome these issues, Gordon Murray approached long-time Brabham contributor Pete Weismann to collaborate on the design.

They decided upon a triple shaft arrangement that would allow them to keep the engine as low as possible and not adversely affect the driveshaft angles, an issue that Lotus, by comparison, tried to overcome by slightly tilting the engine upward while using a two shaft gearbox arrangement.

The design of the gearbox, like Honda's engine, paid particular attention to the oil system, both of which used dry sumps to improve temperature control, reliability, reduce windage and tolerate the huge g-forces exerted on the car.

The MP4/4 is, without doubt, an era-defining machine and one of the most well rounded cars to have ever graced the sport. Conquering all that dare oppose it, it provided a fitting end to the sports first foray into turbocharged machinery.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-03-2020 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 11:39 AM

Old 04-04-2020, 06:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
https://autos.yahoo.com/fascinating-...094812623.html

One of the greatest F1 cars of all time

Amazing trio of Nichols, Murray and Oakley designers/engineers. From 1988-1993 their cars won 4 WCC, 4 WDC and 49 races.
caught my mistake, they also placed 2nd place in WCC in the other 2 years.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:55 AM
AZ Community Team

F1 REWIND - 1996 Monaco Grand Prix, Full Race Replay

Of all the "Cinderella" F1 wins, this is the best by far

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-04-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:25 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5OJ5KeiWzg

Of all the "Cinderella" F1 wins, this is the best by far
I watched that race so many times back when I taped it on VHS. So glad they are putting the whole race up in Youtube.

Last edited by F-C; 04-04-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Old 04-04-2020, 06:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Dario Franchitti drives the banned Lotus 88

Dario is actually pushing the 88 a little
Old 04-05-2020, 12:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Not too many pics of Lisa and Ron Dennis in the pits these days
Old 04-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Old 04-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Old 04-09-2020, 03:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Cart 1995 - long beach - round 4

Watched a few laps of this and it reminds me
  • How poor Indycar racing action is today
  • mid 90's CART was a really great open wheel series
Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 AM
AZ Community Team

The car that changed Formula 1 history

https://autos.yahoo.com/car-changed-...080418058.html

Some interesting info on the MP4/1 I had not read before.

The pic of the 5 piece male mold for the monocoque is pretty cool

Old 04-12-2020, 04:52 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Nothing comes close to that era of Indy Cars.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:05 PM

Old 04-13-2020, 01:50 PM

Old 04-15-2020, 10:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Why BMW Williams failed in F1

Did not know that Andy Cowell (current MB Powerplant Technical Director) worked at BMW in early 2000's on their V10 F1 engine

Old 04-17-2020, 07:10 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...bCs5hAmS2.html

He claimed seven world championships and 91 wins over a glittering career but when Michael Schumacher made his comeback with Mercedes in 2010, the wins failed to materialise and he never outscored team mate Nico Rosberg over a season – so had the magic simply gone by then?

Legendary F1 designer John Barnard, the guest on this week's Beyond The Grid podcast, has a theory as to why the super-quick German struggled after joining the Silver Arrows.

When asked who was the best driver he'd worked with, the former McLaren and Ferrari technical chief did not immediately choose Schumacher.

“Oh, for me the best driver was Alain Prost without a shadow. Nigel [Mansell] was quick but he was quick because he’d got big cojones basically,” said Barnard.

“Michael was quick but… I didn’t like the way he had the car set up. For me it wasn’t the way to go. And I would love to have been the fly on the wall when he drove for Mercedes in 2010 alongside Rosberg,” explained the ex-Ferrari engineer, who was working for the Scuderia when Michael arrived at the beginning of 1996.

It was then, when Schumacher tested both a V10 mule car and V12 Ferrari 412 T2, that Bernard understood his driving style, as the German preferred the V12, which had more engine braking – a feature which Gerhard Berger and Jean Alesi disliked as it would unsettle the car during off-throttle periods.

“I tried to speak to Michael and put across my viewpoint,” explained Bernard. “'For me, the way the car is quick is if you can plant the back end, if I can give you maximum traction at the back at all times, you can open the throttle sooner and you will be quicker.'

“Now, Michael didn't didn't drive like that. Michael drove what I call 'off the front of the car'. He wanted a front end [where he could] absolutely just turn the wheel and bang, into the corner and he would kind of look after the back.

“All the other guys said: 'we don't like that, because when we do that the back end comes out'."

Schumacher spent three seasons with Mercedes and took one podium in that time in an all-German line-up alongside Nico Rosberg – but this was before the turbo-hybrid era in which they’ve dominated with all six constructors’ and drivers’ championships since 2014.

Barnard continued: “He [Schumacher], quite often, was nowhere near as quick as Rosberg then and I thought: ‘This is strange, there’s something going on here.'

“My theory, and this is only my theory, is that Rosberg was like most of the guys who wants a car that’s nicely planted at the back and will then find a way to get as best he can around the understeer.

“Michael didn’t like that, and when they did set the car up for Michael he was quicker than Rosberg, but he wasn’t overall quick."

Schumacher was outscored 142-72 by Rosberg in their first season at Mercedes, and while he got closer to his team mate's points total in 2011 and 2012, the seven-time champion never beat him over the course of the season, and was a long way off the crushing form of his Ferrari days.

“I just think Michael’s approach to it [was the issue]," Barnard added. "It was good when he was young because his reactions were phenomenal but as he got a bit older, I’m not sure that that system worked so well."
Legend2TL (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:52 AM
AZ Community Team

^ that opinion of why Rosberg was faster than Schumacher is also backed up by Button. Button explained the 2010 MB car basic config/setup was the opposite of what Schumacher wanted.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:39 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Max Verstappen and Takuma Sato driving the RA272.

Max is 5'11', yet he could barely get into the cockpit.
Takuma is 5'5", and even he struggled to fit.

Last edited by F-C; 04-17-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:21 AM
AZ Community Team

F1 Design Legend John Barnard | Beyond The Grid | Official F1 Podcast

Phenomenal interview with John Barnard F1 car designer/engineer for McLaren, Ferrari, Benetton, Arrows and Prost. Designed many legendary cars McLaren MP4/1, MP4/2, Ferrari 640, ...

Created ALOT of F1 technology that's still used today.
  1. Carbon fiber chassis
  2. Semi-automatic gearbox
  3. Wasp tail

Gets into a lot of info in 78 minute interview, alot of amusing stuff including working with many top drivers.
HIGHLY Recommended

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-18-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:09 AM
AZ Community Team

The story of F1’s most incredible win from the back

https://autos.yahoo.com/story-f1-mos...120907903.html

From 22 and 23 on the grid to 1st and 2nd place on the podium.
The amazing 1983 Long Beach Grand Prix race for McLaren/Waton/Lauda

Old 04-21-2020, 08:25 AM

Old 04-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,113 Likes on 3,616 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I remember this every time I set an identical time to the previous lap to the thousandth on 2017 F1 during qualifying runs in multiplayer mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

I was at this race! I have a program somewhere with every driver's signature except Piquet's. Paul Newman wouldn't sign it either. Had a leisurely chat with JV in the pits on Friday, that was back when he wasn't a huge DICK.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I remember this every time I set an identical time to the previous lap to the thousandth on 2017 F1 during qualifying runs in multiplayer mode

I was at this race! I have a program somewhere with every driver's signature except Piquet's. Paul Newman wouldn't sign it either. Had a leisurely chat with JV in the pits on Friday, that was back when he wasn't a huge DICK.
Chief, my theory on JV becoming a dick was mostly due to his his manager Craig Pollock, whom he split with in 2008. In the F1 Channel interview on YouTube, JV briefly covers this topic.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:20 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Chief, my theory on JV becoming a dick was mostly due to his his manager Craig Pollock, whom he split with in 2008. In the F1 Channel interview on YouTube, JV briefly covers this topic.

Is it this interview? I'm interested in what he had to say about Craig Pollock.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7kVAnQoy3k

Is it this interview? I'm interested in what he had to say about Craig Pollock.
IIRC JV doesn't say Pollocks' name but somewhere in the middle of that interview he says he split with his business associate when they had difference of opinion over business and personal matters.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:10 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I don't know how much Craig Pollack factored into it, but he's been out of the picture fore a long time and Villeneuve is still a jerk.
Chief F1 Fan (04-26-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:20 PM
AZ Community Team

^ Pollock was the enabler who fed JV ego, since retirement JV has mellowed and admitted he was a diva while racing.
when Dave Richards took over team principal from Pollock at BA in 2002, Richards did a assessment of the team and the one consistent feedback was difficult Pollock could be to work under.
Although 2002 was worst than 2001, eventually in 3 years BAR/Honda rose to 2nd in WCC under Richards leadership.
Richards also brought in Button who outperformed JV who was fired at the end of 2003.
F-C (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Remembering Michele Alboreto: F1 ace, Le Mans winner and good man

https://autos.yahoo.com/remembering-...072443152.html

Always remember his big nose as well as his bigger smile in the garages in Detroit with Tyrrell and Ferrari

On the back of that disastrous end to 1985, the drivers were dismayed to discover the prospects for '86 were worse. As Johansson remembered, “When we were first shown the F186, Michele and I looked at each other and said, ‘Fuck! This is going to be a long season'."

“He was one of the very few drivers who you could be friends with and a rival at the same time – a very difficult thing to do!” said a moist-eyed Prost the week after his old rival's death. “I met him first when we were both in Formula 3 in 1979 [and] in both F3 and F1 we competed in a good way.

"He was a very friendly guy, a lovely man. You just could not have a problem with him.”

Let that, too, be Michele Alboreto's legacy.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-26-2020 at 01:05 PM.
00TL-P3.2 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Great writeup. It's been so long since he died, so kind of curious why someone decided to write an article at this time.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
Great writeup. It's been so long since he died, so kind of curious why someone decided to write an article at this time.
I'm guessing because the article date was his death anniversary (4/25/01)

Yeah, great writeup, I went to the Detroit F1 Grand Prix from '83-'88 and saw Alboreto win there in '83.
Very appropriate for Ford as it was the last Cosworth DFV win and all three cars on the podium were Ford/Cosworths.

https://acurazine.com/forums/motorsp...ot-56k-759999/

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-28-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:26 PM

Legend2TL (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,113 Likes on 3,616 Posts
Still probably the 2nd coolest race event I've ever been to

Mobil1 Driver Swap at the Glen in 2011 was my 2nd fave, my first was the Monaco GP from the roof of the Hotel Hermitage.

00TL-P3.2 (04-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Motorsports: History and Legacy Discussion Thread