Michelin withdraws from F1

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006 | 08:26 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Michelin withdraws from F1

Via a terse announcement Thursday in Montreal, Michelin announced that it would not answer the FIA’s request for bids on a Formula 1 spec tire arrangement. The decision means that Michelin's previously announced intention to pull out of F1 at the end of this year would not merely be a one-season hiatus. The announcement came one day before the deadline for filing applications.

“Michelin has continually made its belief known that Formula 1 should, as motorsport’s cutting-edge discipline, be an arena where the most advanced technologies can do battle in the interest of motoring,” the statement read – before going on to issue more criticism of the way the FIA has chosen to proceed with regard to tires in grand prix racing.

The changes in the Formula 1 rules to bring in a single-tire supplier go completely against these principles,” Michelin’s statement said. “It is one more step towards standardizing a sport which should be practiced at the highest level of competition.

"As a result, Michelin will not reply to the FIA tender for tire supply in Formula 1. It does not wish to be seen to support the spirit of this tender at a time when the quality of its tires has been amply demonstrated and appreciated by its partners, with a total of 99 Grand Prix wins over the years, under whichever rules have been in place.”
FIA and Max

I think I'll buy Michelins next time I need tires.
Old 06-23-2006 | 08:41 AM
Photography Nerd

The lemans series is lightyears ahead of F1 now when it comes to developing new technologies.

F1
Old 06-23-2006 | 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

I read about this early this morning on the F1 site. I like how things were worded by Mich.
Old 06-23-2006 | 12:15 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

If F1 continues on down this path, pretty soon all the manufacturers will bolt for some other series. Since the GPMA idea is dead, they could very well go to Le Mans, since it is outside of the FIA's grasp.
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

FIA is ruining the sport
Old 06-26-2006 | 12:17 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

www.fia-amd-survey2006.com

Make your voices heard. Although I doubt Max will care.
Old 06-26-2006 | 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I filled it out.
Old 07-05-2006 | 11:05 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Bridgestone and Microsoft

July 5, 2006

Bridgestone has been selected as Formula 1's exclusive tyre supplier for the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons.

The Japanese company was always likely to secure the contract once Michelin made it clear it would not tender a bid because it opposed the move to a single tyre supplier, and would be withdrawing from F1 at the end of 2006.

The decision was rubber-stamped at a meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday.

The WMSC also announced that Microsoft MES will be the official supplier of ECUs (electronic control units) to F1 over the same three-year period.

Engine management software is being standardised because the FIA believes it is the only way to ensure an enforceable ban on traction control.

In addition, the World Council agreed to consult with F1’s Technical Working Group to devise ways of reducing cornering speeds, which have risen sharply this year due to advances in aerodynamics and tyre technology.
Old 07-05-2006 | 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

The counter-point is that the greatest modern F1 years occured with only one tire supplier.

In my opinion a single tire supplier could help allow more innovation back in the sport. With one tire manufacturer the tire specs could be changed easily and uniformaly across the board and be used as a simple way to reign in speeds while allowing innovation within the different teams.

Some of the best racing in F1 history was done while there was only one tire supplier and in my opinion the last few years of racing would have been better with more teams in the upper parity zone if we had a one tire supplier.
Old 07-05-2006 | 12:23 PM
Photography Nerd

F1 is done as far as I'm concerned. I can't believe how much of a stock car series it's developing into. Seriously, they might as well just buy a bunch of Busch Cup cars and rebody them for next year.

Every time they improve something like tire technology, traction control, or aerodynamics, they kill it the next year. F1 used to be a breeding ground for new technologies, but now the FIA does everything in their power to stop that.

Le Mans >>> F1
Old 07-05-2006 | 12:49 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ilitig8
The counter-point is that the greatest modern F1 years occured with only one tire supplier.

In my opinion a single tire supplier could help allow more innovation back in the sport. With one tire manufacturer the tire specs could be changed easily and uniformaly across the board and be used as a simple way to reign in speeds while allowing innovation within the different teams.

Some of the best racing in F1 history was done while there was only one tire supplier and in my opinion the last few years of racing would have been better with more teams in the upper parity zone if we had a one tire supplier.
You sound like Max. My counter-point to your counter-point is why are tires being discriminated on? Based on a similar logic, we could have all teams running the same chassis, the same engine, but different tires. You could regulate speeds much easier that way, by controlling engine output and freezing chassis improvements. Just imagine, a tire manufacturer driven series, with Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama, Kumho and others duking it out.
Old 07-05-2006 | 12:56 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by ilitig8

The main problem with one tire supplier as recent history showed is that Ferrari was the only favoured team Bridgestone was concentrating all its resources on. As a result, Ferrari wore tires which were custom designed to the Ferrari chassis and so had a hugh advantage over other teams that were struggling to use tires best suited for Ferrari. That was the reason why other top teams were so eager to switch to Michelin when Michelin announced the F1 entry, and then Bridgestone was left supplying tires to its favourite Ferrari and other dead-bottom teams.

The best racing in history won't happen whenever one team gets special treatment and the rest of the field is hanging out in the dry. The best racing only happens when there are lots of equipment variations, such as tire makes, engine makes, chassis makes, etc.