Magyar Nagydij

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:39 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,078 Likes on 774 Posts
Magyar Nagydij

Not looking good for Alonso. Penalized 2 sec for EACH qualifying round. Things are beginning to unravel for him and Renault.

Fernando Alonso will start the Hungarian GP from close to the back of the grid after being penalized for on-track misbehavior in practice on Friday.

Alonso will have two seconds added to his qualifying times in each of the three qualifying sessions on Saturday. In reality that means he will struggle even to get through the first round, and thus may even be stuck outside the top 16. His chances of getting into the top 10 run-off are virtually zero. That will at least leave the Renault team with complete freedom as far as fuel strategy is concerned.

The penalty comes on top of the recent controversy over the mass dampers, and will clearly add fuel to cynical suggestions that attempts are being made by "the authorities" to handicap the Spaniard and make the championship closer.

Alonso’s problems began in the afternoon practice session when he felt that Red Bull third driver Robert Doornbos hindered him coming onto the straight. Fernando waved his fist, which is not an unusual reaction, but tellingly he also swerved towards the Dutchman as they approached the braking area and then appeared to give him a brake test at the corner.

The stewards took a dim view of the incident and presumably wanted to set an example, despite the consequences for the title battle. Fernando’s woes were made worse by the fact that in the same session he passed a car under yellow flags. In effect he has received two penalties of a second apiece.

The question of his behavior was raised in the FIA drivers briefing and by the drivers themselves in the GPDA meeting that followed.

After seeing the stewards before hearing the definitive result Fernando spoke to the media. He remained confident about his prospects for the weekend, but he refused to go into specifics about his problem with Doornbos.

"I more concentrated that I’m second, and the car is good," he said. "What happened outside is another thing, I’m here to talk about the car."

Pressed further, he snapped: "You can ask as many questions as you want on this, but I was angry with Michael the last time in the pit lane, I was angry with some people that I lapped in the races, and there are not a hundred questions. I’m happy for how has been the day for me, the car seems competitive, the tires as well, so it’s what I have to do."

Later he said: "What happened happens every test session, every Friday, every Saturday, every Sunday when you lap someone. Slower cars take so long and they don’t look in the mirrors too much, and when you overtake them you always need to say something to look in the mirror, to do something. This time it seems it is really important.

"And now obviously everybody is very interested and 20 cameras are waiting for me in the door. It’s a nice surprise to have so much attention."

Asked by SpeedTV.com whether it was dangerous to give the FIA any opportunity to penalize him and that he should have been ultra careful, he paused and said, "I don’t know."
Old 08-04-2006, 03:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
How happy is Schumi right now.

And what with the thread title?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
I believe that's Hungarian for "Hungarian Grand Prix."
Old 08-04-2006, 04:15 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
How happy is Schumi right now.

What, you mean you don't speak Hungarian?

I think it means Grand Prix in Hungarian. The official name of the race is Marlboro Magyar Nagydij.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I knew what the thread title meant.

Ok, I didnt
Old 08-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Raikkonen on pole, Schumi and Alonso both get 2 second penalties. This should be an interesting race. Time for McLaren to break the duck this season?

And let's see how far up the field Schumi can charge. Massa on the front row could play the spoiler
Old 08-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

The plot thickens

Found this at F1racing.net:

Schumi hints at foul play
Michael Schumacher was happy with himself after minimising his two-second qualifying penalty to start tomorrow's race from eleventh while championship rival Alonso will start from fifteenth. However, he seemed to suggest that Alonso played a part in his penalty and that it might not have been entirely fair play.

"It was unrealistic for us to get into the top ten, although I wasn't far off," Schumacher said. "It's okay and I guess worked out pretty well. Obviously you approach the session differently knowing you have the penalty but it worked out okay."

On his penalty Schumacher said, "If you watch the pictures you can see what I did and understand why I did it and Fernando was certainly involved in that incident."

When asked whether he thought Alonso slowed down on purpose so that Schumacher had to pass him under red flags in practice the German replied, "You said that I didn't."

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=126543
Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, and it just might rain tomorrow. More drama
Old 08-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

This weekend certainly has turned into a bizarre one.

RB is P3,......he deserves a good finish this race, so hopefully things work out well for him.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I'm a Schumacher fan but I think in both cases the penalties are extreme. Why not just fine them. The FIA and it's stewards blow. They come up with a penalty that hasn't been delivered before meanwhile they're suing themselves over the use of mass dampers.
In the process they're ruining the sport with all these stupid cost saving regulations, and 10 place penalty for replacing an engine and making it last two races. Just look at Button. He finally gets something good but then takes it up the ass for something he can't control. It's the pinnacle of motorsport. Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:05 AM
Racer

Just read that it was raining heavily. Adavantage Schumi, but starting at the back is a disadvantage going into the first corner.
Two words if you don't agree.
Spa 1998
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Racer

insane. that's all i can say.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:00 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GO HONDA!!!!!!

OMFG - JB YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

i hear the Queen calling!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm a Schumacher fan, but I think Michael deserved every bit of what happened after all that shit he pulled on De La Rosa.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:22 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Never lost faith in Honda. Thank you Jenson.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

What a ridiculous weekend that was.

for JB and Honda.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:46 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it was the best F1 race i've seen since Senna in his rain filled race back in the old days. so many different strategies and tire changes, AMAZING!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:25 AM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

Yay Honda! I'm so happy for Jenson!!!! I never stopped believing in him and his team
Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Looks like he couldn't believe what just happened.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F-C

Looks like he couldn't believe what just happened.

GO HONDA!!!

Thats got to be the funniest expression Ive seen in a long time!

WOOHOO!!

And Takeo Fukui got to receive the Winner's trophy as well!

How sweet!!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

I don't have Speed Channel so I wasn't able to watch. Does anyone know where I can find a video of the Hungarian GP?! Thanks!

Jen
Old 08-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/5250668.stm

Kubica got DQ'd for his car being underweight, meaning Schumi gets a point after all. Alonso's lead down to 10, with 5 races left.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
Well done, Honda !
Old 08-06-2006, 07:32 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's been 10 hours since the victory, and I'm still on cloud nine. Man, this is so sweet, especially for us long suffering Honda fans.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,919 Likes on 3,511 Posts
Such an awesome race, one of the very best I've seen in a loooooooooong time. Especially the ending. Go HONDA!!!!!!! Had to wait to watch as I was in NYC this a.m. w/ no Speed channel. Passing, strategy that wasn't predictable, crashes (Kimi, WTF?), bad luck (Schu/Alonso) and JB wins the race. I'm w/ you FC, I wouldn't trade that for anything, awesome.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Seems like total brain fade to me.

According to Liuzzi, Kimi explained that he was in the process of letting de la Rosa through and was looking in his mirrors when Liuzzi tried to help him out by moving to the side of the track and lifting off slightly to give the McLarens the momentum to pass him. Unfortunately as he was not looking Raikkonen went straight into the back of Liuzzi and ruined his race as well as Kimi's.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmm, thats what the announcers were speculating,..............that kimi was looking in his mirrors to see where De La Rosa was etc,.......and liuzzi moved over to let both kimi and de la rosa pass etc.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:56 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Speed
Robert Kubica’s disqualification in Hungary was caused by an unprecedented loss of 5.5kgs (12.12 pounds) from his worn-out intermediate tires, SPEEDtv.com can reveal.

After the race Kubica’s car was found to be very close to the 600kgs (1323lb) weight limit, so the FIA’s Jo Bauer decided to drain out any remaining fuel to see what its dry weight was. This test is only done occasionally and is what caught out BAR at Imola last year.

Cars have to weigh 600kgs dry or the FIA have to assume that they are capable of running below the limit in the middle of the race before taking on extra fuel at the last stop.

Kubica’s car was apparently around 602kgs dry, and after some 3.5kgs of fuel came out, it was found to be 1.5-2kgs underweight when it was checked and re-checked (the higher figure was later accepted as official).

Like other teams Sauber ballasts its tires so that dries, extreme wets and intermediates all weigh the same new, to avoid any such problems. However, is it well known that intermediates lose weight, so Sauber took account for that by adding 2kgs of weight to the car for the race to ensure that it would still be above the limit.

However that didn’t prove to be enough. Having used the same set of tires for two long stints they almost turned into slicks, and the team discovered after the race that 5.5kgs rather than the expected 2kgs had "disappeared."

A team insider admitted they had not gained much experience of intermediate wear rates since switching from Bridgestone to Michelin.

The FIA decided to drain Nick Heidfeld’s sister car, which had finished on dry tires, and that was found to be legal. And just to make sure they also retrieved the intermediate tires the German had used earlier in the race to see if it was possible that Nick had dipped below the weight limit at any point. They were not used for as long as Kubica’s, and the car was still fully legal with those tires.

However it’s entirely possible that some other cars that used inters for an extended period may have inadvertently dipped below the limit, but since they finished on relatively new dries and were well above the limit, they did not arouse the FIA’s suspicions.

Interestingly Michael Schumacher ran his intermediate tires for as long as Kubica, but since he finished his race in the Ferrari garage, with several laps of fuel still on board, and in a lowly ninth place, he was not subject to a more detailed investigation by way of a fuel drain. Ironically he did of course eventually walk away with a point, courtesy of Kubica.
Very interesting article. This really is a sport of inches, or in this case, kilograms. I was wondering about the state of the tires during the telecast; as they rolled Schumacher's car into the garage, it did look like slicks, with all the tread gone. So it is possible that people driving long stints on intermediates during the race could have gone under the legal limit, including Button, Alonso, and Schumacher.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Good explanation of what happened. I was trying to explain the car weight thing to my dad etc,.........I can get him to read this now.