Kimi is back

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,235 Likes on 3,676 Posts
Kimi is back

Renault confirms Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 in 2012
By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, November 29th 2011, 07:13 GMT

Renault has announced that Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 racing next year, after securing a two-year deal to compete with the squad.

Raikkonen, who had left Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season after being dropped by Ferrari, had been in talks with the Williams team about a possible return next year, but the deal fell through.

That promted speculation of a Renault tie-up, with team principal Eric Boullier confirming in Brazil last weekend that the Finn was on the shortlist of candidates for 2012 - when his outfit will be renamed Lotus.

Speaking about his return, Raikkonen said: "I'm delighted to be coming back to Formula 1 after a two-year break, and I'm grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity. My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can't deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming.

"It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team's ambition. Now I'm looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid."

Team owner Gerard Lopez added: "All year long, we kept saying that our team was at the start of a brand new cycle. Backstage we've been working hard to build the foundations of a successful structure and to ensure that we would soon be able to fight at the highest level.

"Kimi's decision to come back to Formula 1 with us is the first step of several announcements which should turn us into an even more serious contender in the future. Of course, we are all looking forward to working with a world champion. On behalf of our staff, I'd like to welcome Kimi to Enstone, a setting that has always been known for its human approach to Formula 1."

Raikkonen, 32, moved from Formula 1 to the World Rally Championship in 2010, where he spent the last two seasons while also competing in one race of the NASCAR Truck series and one Nationwide event.

The Finn won the Formula 1 world championship in 2007 with Ferrari, having scored a total of 18 wins since he made his grand prix debut in 2001.

Renault was forced to search for another driver after Robert Kubica confirmed last week that he would not be ready to start the 2012 season following his dramatic accident in February.

Not sure how to take this news. Kimi is definitely the iHuman of all F1 drivers ever to give a monotone interview. On second thought, driving with Renault probably won't give him too many opportunities to get the chance to give long interviews anyways.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
When I read the rumor that Kimi wanted ownership in Williams F1 as part of his Williams driver deal I knew that would probably not happen with Sir Frank not giving in on that.

At least another lively driver has rejoined the fray.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully Lotus will be able to give him a competitive car. I used to love watching him race when he was at McLaren
Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

In a demented, screw-you kind of way, I always thought it was great when the Mercedes engineers told Kimi the engine was about to let go if he didn't back off the revs. What was Kimi's solution? Redline it till it did blow." His way of saying "Thanks for giving me another unreliable engine MBZ."

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 11-29-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
I'm glad the KING is back! and even happier that at least he will be in a more competitive car than the Williams.........though Kimi as part owner of Williams would actually bring some awesomeness to that company and team.

Silly Sir Frank. He'd sell part of the company to the 'public' on the stock market, but wouldn't let Kimi buy in. He's old and needs to let the young in.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Frank Williams is obviously no dummy: his team has 9 championships, second only to Ferrari. Kimi is prone to impetuousness which bought him an exit ticket from Ferrari and "banished" into WRC World. I too am glad he's back, just don't see him in a leadership role at all. I guess if Kimi wants a stake in the team, he can buy out the stock of enough people to make himself a majority stakeholder if that's what he truly wants.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
AZ Community Team

^ +1 Although Williams have been in a long slump, Sir Frank is a pretty wise F1 team leader.

As for Kimi, remains to be seen which one will show up in 2012, the last Kimi in F1 getting out performed by his team-mate or the earlier iceman. Luca is probably betting the lame Kimi, which annoyed him to no end in 2009.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Nice, I'm just glad to see another good driver in Renault, cause without Kubica, Renault wasn't as competitive. They were kinda on par with Mercedes last season? I forgot. But Kubica definitely had some good runs.

Bruno Senna is bad I think.

If kubica comes back 2013, Kimi and Kubcia could be good for competitiveness and make it more fun for us to watch

edit: I never got to see the "great" kimi. I forget when I started watching but it was season where Hamilton won? I think my first one was where the last race in Brazil Massa was near the top of the race and finished the race, and he was suppose to win unless Hamilton could make up one spot and he did. I believe that was the first season I started F1. That season had some good fights between Kimi and Hamilton in the rain!

Last edited by speedemon90; 11-30-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't think Petrov's so great either but he has a ton o' cash/sponsorship attached to him. Kimi won the WC in 07 with Ferrari and I actually got a chance to shake his hand in Montreal outside of a hotel he was walking out of (W/ Massa who would not sign/shake with anyone). West had just left me and is still
Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Frank Williams is obviously no dummy: his team has 9 championships, second only to Ferrari. Kimi is prone to impetuousness which bought him an exit ticket from Ferrari and "banished" into WRC World. I too am glad he's back, just don't see him in a leadership role at all. I guess if Kimi wants a stake in the team, he can buy out the stock of enough people to make himself a majority stakeholder if that's what he truly wants.
I think you guys all got clouded by the Ferrari cloud of tailored reports about Kimi. They wanted him out and what is the best way to get everyone on your side for kicking a guy under contract out of your team to make way for a new driver? To put out press releases and statements after statements bashing him and everything about him.

The real people in the sport know who Kimi is and how much of a great driver he is. It is not his fault that Ferrari gave him a crap car not tailored to his style and he did his best to put it as high up as it went.

If Ferrari put out comments on how Alonso is crap at driving their great car in 2011, you would probably believe that too.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm unclouded by "tailored reports about Kimi" and in fact don't remember them. What I do remember is watching him race. He won the WC in 07 and in 08 he fell off the map with like 2 wins. He had a car that could win the WC, in fact Massa lost it by 1 point in the Brazilian race. To say he had a crap car in 08 is not right. You may be right they wanted him out. They wanted the greatest driver of all time out and guess what-he was out at the Italian GP no less.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
AZ Community Team

He was outperformed by Massa who almost won the WDC in 2008 so it's not clouded. He won the championship in 2007 and started to fade slightly in 2008, by 2009 Luca had his fill of him.

Although Ron Dennis had a great relationship with him, the same can not be said for Adrian Newey who found Kimi's technical skills in developing the car to be lacking compared to Mika, DC and Hill.

There is no doubt Kimi was a superbly talented and driven driver from 2000-2007, the performance from 2008-2009 showed him to be less than stellar.

Which Kimi will show up in 2012?

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
I think you guys all got clouded by the Ferrari cloud of tailored reports about Kimi. They wanted him out and what is the best way to get everyone on your side for kicking a guy under contract out of your team to make way for a new driver? To put out press releases and statements after statements bashing him and everything about him.

The real people in the sport know who Kimi is and how much of a great driver he is. It is not his fault that Ferrari gave him a crap car not tailored to his style and he did his best to put it as high up as it went.

If Ferrari put out comments on how Alonso is crap at driving their great car in 2011, you would probably believe that too.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-30-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I don't think Petrov's so great either but he has a ton o' cash/sponsorship attached to him. Kimi won the WC in 07 with Ferrari and I actually got a chance to shake his hand in Montreal outside of a hotel he was walking out of (W/ Massa who would not sign/shake with anyone). West had just left me and is still
Shit always happens as soon as we part ways.

I hope Kimi does well.

Last edited by West6MT; 11-30-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator

and so is Grosjean back at Renault too

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/...osjean-signing