Formula One: 2020 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020 | 08:37 AM

Singapore & Baku are good, but sucks to lose Suzuka.
Old 06-15-2020 | 05:50 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Maybe I am crazy but I would really like to see Vettel in a Merc for one year. See him and Hamilton go at it head to head in the same car. I know the chances of it happening are extremely slim but I think it would be fun.
Old 06-15-2020 | 07:12 AM
AZ Community Team

^ +1, probably not gonna happen but I'd want to see it as well
Old 06-15-2020 | 11:26 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

I'd love to see it as well, but MB probably knows that tensions will boil over and they'll wreck out of a few races, sinking their WDC chances.

Still would be fun to watch though.
Old 06-15-2020 | 12:12 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's been years since a team has tried to pair two champions in the same car. Senna & Prost at McLaren was the last time it really happened?
Old 06-15-2020 | 12:21 PM

I suppose one could argue Hamilton/Rosberg, but results argue against it a bit.
Old 06-15-2020 | 12:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
It's been years since a team has tried to pair two champions in the same car. Senna & Prost at McLaren was the last time it really happened?
Button and Hamilton were both prior WDC while at McLaren
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020 | 01:15 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Kimi & Vettel?
Old 06-15-2020 | 03:42 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I stand corrected. Although I must say, those combinations probably pale in comparison to a Vettel-Hamilton teamup. When Raikkonen rejoined Ferrari, it was already many years since he won the championship. No matter how much I liked Button, we always knew that Button was very fortunate to win his championship. Even when Senna joined Prost at McLaren, he had yet to win a championship.
Old 06-15-2020 | 04:12 PM

Senna/Prost is definitely a standout.

Raikkonen seemed more of a #2 to Vettel, not a true WDC competitor.

HAM/BUT was before my viewing time.
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
I stand corrected. Although I must say, those combinations probably pale in comparison to a Vettel-Hamilton teamup. When Raikkonen rejoined Ferrari, it was already many years since he won the championship. No matter how much I liked Button, we always knew that Button was very fortunate to win his championship. Even when Senna joined Prost at McLaren, he had yet to win a championship.
I would change that to fortunate, not very fortunate. Even Hamilton is fortunate to be at MB and winning 4 WDC.
Few drivers have not had the best car in the last three decades, basically Schumacher and Alonso and that's coming from Bob Bell who was on their teams at those times.

Button beat Hamilton one year when both were at McLaren, and he came in 2nd place for WDC while at McLaren.
Even then he placed 3rd in WDC in his 5th season at Honda.
Even Flavio had to admit publicly that he was wrong about the comments he made about Button early in his career.

Button also admitted in his F1 YouTube interview, he didn't work hard enough early in his F1 career.
BTW, that's a great interview. He doesn't trash talk anyone and was very candid about his career.

IMO, not a all time great champion but still a worthy champion and under-rated driver.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-16-2020 at 08:18 AM.
F-C (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Cowell to step down as Mercedes F1 engine chief

https://autos.yahoo.com/cowell-step-...144401157.html

Sounds similar to Costa stepping down as MB chief chassis designer over a year ago.
Like Costa leaving, I don't suspect this will have a big impact, James Alison talked about Costa leaving and making sure it was a smooth transistion.

Mercedes has announced Andy Cowell will leave his position heading up its Formula 1 engine division next month.

Cowell has been part of Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrain (HPP) for 16 years, serving as managing director since 2014.

He played an instrumental role in the German manufacturer's development of the V6 hybrid engines that were introduced to F1 in 2014. Mercedes has won six consecutive drivers' and constructors' titles in that period.

In a statement issued by Mercedes on Monday, it was announced that Cowell would be leaving his position at the beginning of July, having informed the team of his intention to leave in January.

A new senior leadership team set to take over running of the engine division upon Cowell's departure.

This will be made up of Hywel Thomas, who becomes managing director to take direct responsibility for the F1 power unit, as well as Adam Allsopp (powertrain director), Richard Stevens (operations director), and Ronald Ballhaus (finance and IT director).

"This new structure will enable the company to deliver three key projects to the highest possible standards in the coming years: the F1 Power Unit, the Formula E powertrain and the powertrain development and production of the Mercedes-AMG One," the statement says.

Cowell will work with Thomas to support the transition and will "consult to Mercedes-Benz AG on a major future project until at least early 2021".

"Andy's leadership of the team at HPP has been a key factor in our championship success in recent seasons," said Mercedes F1 team principal Toto Wolff.

"He has made an outstanding contribution to our motorsport legacy and I have valued and enjoyed our working relationship since 2013; I am sure he will enjoy great success in the next challenge he decides to take on.

"Our philosophy has always been that a winning team is a dynamic organisation, and that change is a natural part of every company's development.

"I am particularly pleased that we have been able to work together to create a new leadership structure, by building on the strength in depth of the team in Brixworth. It puts us in a very strong position for the years ahead, as we aim to set new benchmarks in Formula One and Formula E."

"After 16 enjoyable years working for HPP, I have decided that now is the right time to move on from my role and seek a new engineering business challenge," Cowell added.

"I have appreciated the opportunity to work with Markus and Toto in defining the future leadership structure of the company and I have every confidence in the ability of Hywel and the team to lead the company forward.

"It has been an absolute honour to work for Mercedes and especially to be Managing Director of HPP for seven years. Thank you to everyone who has provided me with such amazing opportunities and enjoyable challenges, especially Ola Källenius who had the courage to support me back in 2006."
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:32 AM

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1...ns-toto-wolff/

Anyone who has been watching F1, especially the Mercedes F1 team, couldn’t have possibly thought that they don’t have a clear hierarchy among their drivers. It seems pretty obvious that Lewis Hamilton is the de facto ‘number 1’ and that Valtteri Bottas is his second violin. However, Mercedes team principal, Toto Wolff begs to differ, claiming that neither driver gets preferential treatment. At least not until the season gets underway.

Osterreich newspaper, interviewed the Mercedes boss, Toto Wolff. Addressing claims that Mercedes have a clear hierarchy in mind, Wolff said, “Bottas and Hamilton get fair chances from us, as always, at the beginning of the season. Our drivers should both be able to become champions and I can’t imagine starting with a clear number 1 and 2. Drivers always have the ambition to win, otherwise, they won’t be in Formula 1.”

It is expected for someone in Wolff’s position, to tell us that both drivers get the backing to win the championship. However, it is hard to imagine Bottas beating Hamilton to the title and gaining the status of ‘number 1′ at Mercedes. In fact, Bottas’ very future at Mercedes is unclear despite impressive performances from the Finn, last season. Nevertheless, Bottas will be happy to hear that the team has the belief in him to win a championship. Hopefully, that can spur him on to push Hamilton even more, although that could lead to a ‘Ferrari like situation.’

The Finn will want to keep hold of his Mercedes seat even after 2020. Bottas will be looking to add to the 7 wins he has recorded, behind the steering wheel of a Mercedes. He had his best season last year, racking up a total of 326 points. He won 4 races and was on the podium 15 times. He’ll be looking to build on that and ensure his seat at the Silver Arrows for another year at least.

As for Hamilton, he’ll want to continue dominating the grid. He will be looking to get his 7th drivers’ championship and equal Michael Schumacher’s record.
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:33 AM

What do you guys put odds of Bottas beating Hamilton this year & getting his maiden title?

Have seen a few F1 journalists & Hakkinen saying it might be his year.
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:35 AM

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1...e-for-mclaren/

In the light of the COVID-19 pandemic, F1 teams have had to cut costs. To aid teams in cost-cutting, new rules and regulations were passed by the FIA. One of the regulations was the budget cap which was decreased by $30 million from the initial figure of $175 million for 2021. Another one of the said regulations revolved around the freezing of car development beginning from the 2020 season. However, certain homologated parts can still be improved to a certain extent with the help of the ‘token system.’ Each team gets two tokens for a season and they can trade those tokens to develop certain car parts, provided the FIA approves it. F1’s managing director, Ross Brawn reveals how McLaren was the reason for their introduction and how all the teams can use them.

Ross Brawn was in conversation with Motorsport-Total.com. Brawn said, “The problem with freezing the technology was: there is a team that changes the drive partner- Mclaren. You can’t ignore that. So we had to find a system to make this change possible for McLaren.”

Furthermore, he said, “If you speak about a period of five years and outline a corresponding scenario, you can be very specific about it. But if you only have a few weeks in advance, you have to be flexible in the implementation. It could be that some teams have to improve their cars because there are mistakes. The token system gives us just as much leeway to solve such problems.”

He also provides an actual example of how the system can be implemented. He said, “A team has already reported to us that there is a cooling problem with the vehicle. They could not be (left) in this condition for two years.”

Thus that means that teams aren’t stuck with the exact same car for two years. Using the tokens they can implement some minor changes to improve their car. Ross Brawn says the bottom line is that it is a good compromise.
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:35 AM

McLaren's had a steadily improving car, add in Ricciardo & MBZ power, not unlikely for them to be leading the midfield & putting a fight to the backs of the leaders.
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
What do you guys put odds of Bottas beating Hamilton this year & getting his maiden title?

Have seen a few F1 journalists & Hakkinen saying it might be his year.
I can't see it happening.
Hamilton's on top of his driving ~90% of the time.
Bottas is on top of his driving ~50% of the time.
And to top it off, Hamilton's driving > Bottas driving.

The only three teammates that could outdrive Hamilton on occasion are Alonso, Button, and Rosberg.
But in general Hamiton's a more complete driver than any of those three
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:58 AM
AZ Community Team

McLaren's had a steadily improving car, add in Ricciardo & MBZ power, not unlikely for them to be leading the midfield & putting a fight to the backs of the leaders.
Agree, smartest thing Zak Brown did was hire Andreas Seidl who actually understands what's like to be Team Principal unlike Brown who's more a exec and nuanced enough to understand the details of being a TP.
oh and Ron Dennis? CEO and team principal.
Old 06-16-2020 | 10:25 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Can't see Bottas beating Hamilton. He's always been a steady driver, but never spectacular. And I always assumed that's why Mercedes hired him.
Old 06-16-2020 | 10:47 AM

This would be a quite boring 87 laps, IMO. Not an appealing layout.
Bahrain 'outer' circuit:

Old 06-16-2020 | 11:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Agree, smartest thing Zak Brown did was hire Andreas Seidl who actually understands what's like to be Team Principal unlike Brown who's more a exec and not nuanced enough to understand the details of being a TP.
oh and Ron Dennis? CEO and team principal.
typo on my part
Old 06-16-2020 | 12:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Who is Peter ‘Bono’ Bonnington, the Man Behind the Success of Lewis Hamilton

One of the key people whose been partial responsible for Hamilton's success at MB is his race engineer Peter "Bono" Bonnington.
His mentor at Honda was Jock Clear who has a long history in F1 as race engineer at Williams, Ferrari, Honda and other teams.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/wh...ewis-hamilton/
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:27 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

This would be a quite boring 87 laps, IMO. Not an appealing layout.
Bahrain 'outer' circuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a22zH6LcXlU
Looks boring. But I can see if the DRS zones are setup right that it could produce a lot of lead changes. How about 8 DRS opportunities per lap?
Old 06-17-2020 | 06:36 AM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...zxwNfdzg2.html

They may last only a matter of seconds, but every F1 fan knows that pit stops can make or break a race. Little wonder then that the teams have thrown so much resource at developing pit equipment over the years, all in the name of shaving time in the pursuit of the perfect pit stop. But following a new Technical Directive issued by the FIA, teams will no longer be able to develop pit equipment from September 30 as part of a new drive to cut costs.

All 10 teams will be required to provide a full description of the pit stop equipment they use to the governing body by July 22. Each team is allowed to modify the submitted description after that date, but before the September deadline, providing they update the FIA.

After September 30, only minor changes can be carried out, such as changes to jacks to cope with different car ride height ranges, but these will require approval from the governing body.

Initially, rulemakers looked at introducing standard pit equipment, but accepted that in doing so, all teams would need to buy a new set of equipment, which would actually raise costs.

It is in the teams’ nature to develop anything which can give them an edge, and that includes trying to save even a nanosecond of time to have a quicker pit stop. This development is expensive, so it was agreed to freeze it with an eye towards moving towards the introduction of some standard parts in the future.

By using this method, the pit stop equipment remains sophisticated, but costs are capped because parts are homologated.
Old 06-18-2020 | 08:10 AM
AZ Community Team

McLaren open to sale of F1 team shares to raise finance

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...hares/4808424/

Not surprising, what did surprise me is Mansour Ojjeh share is down to 14%, at one time the entire team was owned by IIRC 70% Ojjeh and 30% Ron Dennis.

Ron Dennis is probably happy he was bought out for $333M cash in 2017, pretty good financial end of his F1 career. Ron's initial investment was practically nothing in 1980.

Still waiting for a F1 YouTube channel interview of Dennis, one of F1's more enigma team principals

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2.../#242b3a8c4725

McLaren is considering selling a stake of up to 30% in its Formula 1 team as it seeks to raise extra finance with which to improve its level of competitiveness.
The main McLaren Group has been searching for extra funding in recent months having been hit hard by the Covid-19 crisis and resulting staff furlough.

However a source has confirmed that the sale plan, first revealed by Sky News, only involves shares in McLaren Racing, which also encompasses the Indy team as well as F1.

McLaren sees the introduction of the $145m budget cap in 2021 as an opportunity to be on a level playing field with the established top three.

It’s thus regarded as essential to have the funding that will allow the team be in a position to spend to the limit – especially in 2021 when the new generation of cars is being developed – and thus have the best possible chance of climbing the order.

At the moment McLaren Racing has the same shareholders as its parent, so a sale of a stake in the team would involve some form of restructuring.

Around 56% of McLaren Group is owned by Bahrain’s Mumtalakat Holding Company, 14% by Mansour Ojjeh and 10% by Michael Latifi, with the remaining 20% split between minority shareholders.

Latifi has been linked to an investment in Williams, having already agreed a loan with the Grove team, and should that happen it remains to be seen whether there will be any impact on his long term McLaren involvement.

Last month McLaren Group announced plans to cut staffing levels, with the racing team expected to be trimmed by 70.

Regarding its wider search for funding the parent company also noted that it “is currently looking at a number of potential financing alternatives, secured and unsecured, of up to £275m equivalent to strengthen its liquidity position. An update will be provided as soon as reasonably practicable.”

Last edited by Legend2TL; 06-18-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2020 | 02:55 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Their road car sales must be awful?
Old 06-18-2020 | 04:32 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

That's a fast car.

I wonder how they were able to convince the city to close the roads to film this?
Old 06-23-2020 | 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Now this looks really cool! It will be interesting to see how the teams use this information in their quest to be the best, it certainly seems like it will be helpful.

F1 set to debut new TV graphics in 2020 with car performance, driver comparisons and more

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...sECQemg3r.html
Old 06-23-2020 | 08:34 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Might be interesting, or just might add to the overall data overload for the viewers. We discussed this last year, but the "tire life" graphic that was added may or may not be fake.
Old 06-23-2020 | 08:47 AM

^ That was my first thought as well. At least the new graphics are a more measurable metric (cornering speed, etc). Though, determining if a car is more prone to oversteer/understeer from telemetry [available outside of the team/pitwall] seems a bit far-fetched.
Old 06-23-2020 | 12:43 PM
AZ Community Team

.... Though, determining if a car is more prone to oversteer/understeer from telemetry [available outside of the team/pitwall] seems a bit far-fetched.
Why is that? All you have to do is compare steering angle to direction of travel to get, basically, a yaw rate and then display the result ... oversteer, understeer or neutral.

Chief F1 Fan (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020 | 01:26 PM

^ True, forgot they get steering angle in the displayed telemetry.
Old 06-23-2020 | 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm looking forward to the entry/exit speeds of corners to be first used at Spa. Can't wait to see Eau Rouge numbers.
Bearcat94 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020 | 09:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I'm looking forward to the entry/exit speeds of corners to be first used at Spa. Can't wait to see Eau Rouge numbers.
The other thing that'll be nice about that telemetry is you'll be able to see which setups are different or similar.

Old 06-24-2020 | 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Bad time for Danny Ricc to head off to McLaren

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...ng-insolvency/
Old 06-24-2020 | 07:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Damon Hill: Letter To My Younger Self

As George Harrison and Adrian Newey both said of Hill, "One of the nicest guys (blokes) you'll ever meet"
Old 06-24-2020 | 09:18 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Bad time for Danny Ricc to head off to McLaren

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...ng-insolvency/
And just as the team seemed to be turning things around.
If the team is in such dire straits, I assume they might be secretly looking for a buyer. First Williams, now McLaren?
Old 06-24-2020 | 10:49 AM
Race Director

Hoo-boy. This DOES. NOT. SOUND. GOOD.

First phrase that comes to mind? "A wholly-owned Bahraini subsidiary." Yikes.

Dictator Oil Money, ftw!!!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-bank/4811224/
Old 06-24-2020 | 12:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by nanxun
Hoo-boy. This DOES. NOT. SOUND. GOOD.

First phrase that comes to mind? "A wholly-owned Bahraini subsidiary." Yikes.

Dictator Oil Money, ftw!!!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-bank/4811224/

This from that article said it all

The NBB is 44% owned by the Mumtalakat Holding Company, Bahrain's sovereign wealth fund, which also owns 56% of McLaren.
They lent themselves the money
Old 06-24-2020 | 01:00 PM
Race Director

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2020 Season News and Discussion Thread