Formula One: 2018 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Boullier

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier resigns days before British Grand Prix

[...]

That McLaren have chosen their home race, the weekend of the British Grand Prix to accept Boullier’s resignation and make sweeping changes within the team, when it would attract the most attention, is indicative of the seriousness of their situation.

[...]

The former driver, Gil de Ferran, who won the Indy 500 in 2003, has been made sporting director. De Ferran never raced in F1 but was sporting director at BAR-Honda from 2005-2007, helped coach Alonso at last year’s Indy 500 and has been acting as an advisor to McLaren. He raced in the IndyCar and CART championships, wining two titles in the latter in 2000 and 2001. He ran his own team in the American Le Mans Series in 2008 and 2009 and is well respected within the sport.

The chief operating officer Simon Roberts has been made head of production, engineering and logistics and the new performance director Andrea Stella, who joined the team with Alonso from Ferrari, is now responsible for trackside operations.

The team's CEO Zak Brown said the reforms were inevitable. “The causes are systemic and structural, which require major change from within,” he said. “With today’s announcement, we start to address those issues head on and take the first step on our road to recovery.”

Brown, whose background is in marketing, insisted the changes were not a knee-jerk reaction, although the suddenness of the announcement suggested otherwise, but admitted the team had to adapt. “We are too slow to react,” he said. “We need to simplify things within the organisation. We need to operate like a race team, a much faster organisation, we are a bit too slow, we are bit too clunky.”

He cautioned, however, against any expectation of short-term improvement. “We are frustrated, massively frustrated,” he added. “I wish we could fix this overnight but it is going to take some time. We are not quitting, we are are not quitters and our shareholders are fully behind us. But I wouldn’t expect any miracles at Silverstone.”

[...]
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ne-motor-sport
Old 07-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Martin Brundle stated Sunday "No driver has ever won a Grand Prix on his birthday" in response to Danny Ricc's possibility of breaking that particular duck during Sunday's Austrian GP. I thought that was wrong and indeed it was. We were at the Canadian GP in '95 and I got podium pics as Alesi recorded his one and only win. Here's a great video recap of that day. Enjoy fellas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=posvBZgdFjA
I am sick of Martin's Grid walks too. He is absolutely terrible. Will Buxton was so much better at it. I think they must have gotten complaints about Martin before last GP as they cut his air time in half almost before the last race.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Beside Eric Boullier, I expect others to resign or leave McLaren soon. About time.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,882 Likes on 3,492 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I am sick of Martin's Grid walks too. He is absolutely terrible. Will Buxton was so much better at it. I think they must have gotten complaints about Martin before last GP as they cut his air time in half almost before the last race.

Funny how they've basically relegated Brundle to F1's version of Siberia "Here I am outside turn 10 at the Spanish Grand Prix . . . ." doing live calls from various corners of the circuits.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 5,294 Likes on 3,628 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Agreed, Buxton was much better at it. Some of the drivers seem to just barely tolerate his quick chats. Kimi blew him off pretty amusingly in Austria.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...sh-gp-1056122/

Renault is hoping that modifications introduced at the British Grand Prix will improve the reliability of its turbo after Nico Hulkenberg suffered a spectacular failure in Austria.

The updates were planned after Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo experienced a similar issue in China, but have only now come on stream.

The turbo was not changed as part of Renault's recent major upgrade package, first seen in Montreal, so Hulkenberg's was of the same spec as the one that failed in Shanghai.

"It was not a new spec of turbo, it's a new engine but there was nothing different on that spec over previous spec," Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul told Motorsport.com.

"However, we have a little bit of a containing measure that will be introduced in Silverstone as planned, and was not available here.

"We know that we had that risk, after the failure we experienced on Daniel's car on Shanghai. This was the only problem that we've had since Shanghai.

"Nico's turbo is definitely dead, but the ICE and the other components should be OK."

Although Hulkenberg will have to take his third turbo of the season at Silverstone, Abiteboul says that the team is still in schedule.

"We were on a plan of using four engines, to keep on with the development pace, and in particular the introduction of the C-spec, so that does give us some latitude for this type of situation.

"But it is not a situation that is anyway acceptable, and we have to keep on working on that type of reliability.

"There's no penalty for the time being, we were anticipating penalties after the shut down, which is still the plan."

Abiteboul was satisfied with the performance of its new MGU-K in Austria, which was only used by the works cars.

"Packaging issues meant that McLaren opted for fresh versions of the old spec, while Red Bull is on the bubble for penalties with both drivers, and thus in no rush to make a change.

"No particular issue with it. Our car was lighter, so we could achieve a car to the limit, and also a better weight distribution, which is a double positive impact.

"So far the other two cars have preferred not to take that option, because it requires you to change some stuff on the installation side.

"Both teams have elected not to use it for the time being. It doesn't mean that they will not use it later in the season."

Abiteboul also downplayed the introduction of new qualifying modes in Austria, suggesting that Renault would not have made a fuss about the change had the media not been told about it by Christian Horner.

"The qualifying mode is something that we wouldn't have advertised if someone else hadn't mentioned it. It's a development that is not turning around the world, it's a small improvement, among the many we are doing.

"In normal conditions we would keep that for ourselves in terms of communication, we would not create expectations.

"That's another reason why it's also at some point stop that relationship, because we need to control our communication."
Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 PM

https://www.planetf1.com/news/kubica...r-2019-return/

Robert Kubica has said the “next two to three months” will determine whether he will make a full return to Formula 1.

Kubica missed out on a seat at Williams to Sergey Sirotkin – the only driver yet to score a point in 2018 – this season and has been acting as their reserve and development driver instead.

After getting a taste of the 2018 cars with two FP1 sessions so far, Kubica is still eyeing a race seat for the 2019 campaign.

However, he is not overly confident about his chances and said that he finds himself in a “hard” situation.

“I don’t hide that for ten months returning to the grid has been a realistic goal,” Kubica told Poland’s Swiat Wyscigow.

“It’s not easy, and it’s hard for me to talk about my chances, because at some point I was rating them this year at 99.9 per cent. Some tell me I was very lucky!

“Now there are several teams who I have already talked to or I can talk to and everything will be played out over the next two to three months.

“If I put myself into the role of the team bosses, the decision to put me in the car is not easy and there are no guarantees.”

As for Williams’ ongoing woes with the uncompetitive FW41, Kubica is refusing to completely write off the Grove-based teams as the worst one on the grid.

“I think nobody was expecting Williams, which was a midfield team, to struggle so much,” he added.

“I think nobody was expecting Sauber being really the slowest, weakest team last year, fighting for midfield position or going into Q3.

“So you know things can change very quickly in Formula 1. So I think it is unfair to put a sticker on Williams that it is the weakest team.

“It is true that it is the weakest team in this period, but if we say about next year, who knows?”
Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Boullier's exit will buy Brown some time, but not much. Brown will be gone early next year if McLaren continues to struggle, and especially if Red Bull wins in a Honda.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Boullier's exit will buy Brown some time, but not much. Brown will be gone early next year if McLaren continues to struggle, and especially if Red Bull wins in a Honda.
I'm not sure anyone should be worried about Red Bull winning with Honda. I expect growing pains.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:44 AM
Race Director

RoGro binned it again in FP1 at Silverstone ...
Old 07-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

I didn't catch the commentary but I wonder if he tried going through Turn 1 with the DRS activated and just lost the back end. He's really gotta cut that shit out but he did end up best of the rest time-wise in FP1.

EDIT: I just caught this on F1.com after I wrote that:

The car is destroyed, I’m very, very sorry,” said Grosjean over Team Radio, before appearing to suggest that he’d accidentally failed to de-activate DRS after running over a bump.

That would explain why the rear of his car snapped away so quickly, because with the DRS flap open in the rear wing, the car is a lot less stable.

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 07-06-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...rosso-1056560/

European Formula 3 title challenger Dan Ticktum is a contender for a Toro Rosso Formula 1 drive next season as a replacement for Brendon Hartley.

Ticktum, the 2017 Macau Grand Prix winner, is currently second in Euro F3, one point behind championship leader Marcus Armstrong and is in the frame to partner Pierre Gasly at Red Bull’s junior team in 2019.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has identified McLaren Autosport BRDC Award winner Ticktum as its junior driver who would be ready for an F1 drive in 2019.

“At the end of the season, yes,” Marko told Motorsport.com.

“At the Norisring, someone drives into him from the back, he goes to the hospital, says he wants to go out again - and wins the race afterwards!

“He's fast. Crazy, but fast. It fits us. He is only one point behind and had two technical defects.

“We're looking for the fastest. If they're characters, it fits, but someone doesn't have to be this crazy for us.

“We have now normalised Ticktum to some extent.”

Hartley has been under pressure after a tricky start to 2018, with McLarenjunior Lando Norris approached as a possible mid-season replacement, but Marko said the plan is for Hartley to complete the season.

His future beyond that is uncertain, with Ticktum the best-placed alternative given his fellow Red Bull juniors are only at Formula Renault and Formula 4 level.

Red Bull kept faith in Ticktum despite his ban for 2016 for a crash under a safety car in an MSA Formula race at Silverstone the previous year, and made him a fully-fledged part of its junior programme for 2017.

His main obstacle to a 2019 F1 seat is obtaining a superlicence.

As Ticktum has not previously held one, he needs to meet the current FIA requirement of earning 40 superlicence points across the previous three seasons.

His MSA Formula campaign gave him two points, which will expire at the end of the season, but he did not gain any from his race-winning Formula Renault Eurocup season or bit-part GP3 effort in 2017.

Assuming Ticktum wins the Euro F3 title, he would end the season with only 30 points.

This would give Ticktum the 14 points required for an International A licence, which would allow him to take part in F1 testing, and the 25 points needed to apply for a free-practice only superlicence, but not a race licence.

No exceptions have been made since the points system was introduced in December 2014 after Max Verstappen’s leap from his debut F3 season to a Toro Rosso drive.

The FIA reviews its superlicence criteria each year so there could be changes that would make Ticktum eligible - for example making Macau, which is also the FIA F3 World Cup, a point-scoring event or offering more points for Euro F3 success.

Red Bull gave Ticktum experience of higher-downforce machinery earlier this season by handing him his Super Formula debut when Red Bull ‘athlete’ and Honda protege Nirei Fukuzumi had a clashing Formula 2 commitment.

Fukuzumi and fellow Honda protege Tadasuke Makino were candidates to take advantage of Toro Rosso’s use of Honda engines and step up to F1, but both drivers are struggling in F2 and will likely end the year with fewer superlicence points than Ticktum.

Marko said Red Bull will help Honda develop Japanese proteges but does not believe one will be ready for “at least the next two years”.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Williams' woes: Former F1 glories far away for British team

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...214428009.html

Nothing new, just some British GP interviews with Claire Williams.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:41 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...rrors-1056525/

Toro Rosso has copied Ferrari's lead in introducing channelled wing mirrors on to its cars at the British Grand Prix.

With Toro Rosso pushing to improve its STR13 thanks to it being involved in an ultra-tight midfield battle, the mirrors show that the team is not leaving any stone unturned in its efforts.

The mirror idea is that by effectively opening up its face, a channel can be created through the mirror to help better manage airflow over the rest of the car. The air can then be directed to a specific place along the sidepod area.

Ordinarily the mirror is considered an interference and a source of drag rather than performance improvement – which is why teams have always tried to find ways to minimise their disturbance on the rest of the car.

Ferrari introduced the idea on its SF71H at the start of this season (see below), and has committed to the concept even though its mirrors are now mounted on the halo.

Mercedes changes

Toro Rosso was not the only team to trial a different mirror design, as Mercedes appeared with a double mirror in practice.

The extra structure fitted below the standard mirror could be a visibility test for a potential change of mirror design, or be about data gathering of tyre temperatures with lenses appearing to have been incorporated.

It is unclear if this bigger mirror housing is something that will only be run in practice, or will be carried forward into the rest of the weekend.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM
AZ Community Team

McLaren ‘years away’ from return to summit

“This is going to take some time to fix,” said Brown at Silverstone.

“I think we are years away. I don’t know if that’s two or 10, or somewhere in between. Probably more like somewhere inbetween, but I don’t want to get into predictions.

I seriously doubt McLaren owners will accept anything more than 2 years for at least seeing some positive change in the team.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclare...urn-to-summit/

Old 07-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Race Director

WTF is going on over at Williams, esp. in their aero dept.?!?

Lowe apologises to Williams drivers after new rear wing causes spins

Williams has blamed the new rear wing it introduced this weekend for an aerodynamic problem which caused both drivers to spin during qualifying.

The team’s chief technical officer Paddy Lowe told media including RaceFans the team believes the new part is causing an aerodynamic stall when the drivers deactivate DRS. The car’s airflow does not reattach properly, which led to the spins.

[...]
https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/07/...uses-spins-f1/
Old 07-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh how the once mighty have fallen! I used to love Williams (Mansell then later, Prost days).
Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 AM

What a great race
Old 07-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

that was a fantastic race and just like Horner called it: a safety car in the last 3rd of the race would make for an exciting end and it surely did.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
A great race! So glad to see that!
Old 07-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Azine Jabroni

I'm going to have to watch this at some point . Really exciting stuff.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:07 PM

With Kimi still driving that well at the end I just can't see Ferrari not bringing him back next year. It would be silly not too.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Azine Jabroni

Sounds like the Scuderia is focused on LeClerc as the second driver next year
Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^+1; let Leclerc go to Ferrari, Kimi to McLaren and Alonso to Indycar.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Kimi's wife suggests Lewis takes up ballet after Silverstone jibe

Kimi Raikkonen's wife suggests Lewis Hamilton takes up ballet after Silverstone jibe .

Amazing drive back from Lewis only for him and Toto to insinuate Kimi ran into him on purpose.
I extremely doubt Kimi would ever resort to that tactic.

Overall really good race, especially by Vettel and Hamilton, the Ferrari and MB race pace even with tire management was very good

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-09-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Yeah really good race. You get racing incidents like this when the cars are competitive.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Why Williams and McLaren are so slow

https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/900...ms-are-so-slow

https://www.planetf1.com/news/willia...ard-decisions/ .

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/column...s-and-mclaren/ .

The Goodwood article brings up a great point, it's been 106 races since any team other than MB, Ferrari and Red Bull have won a race.
Chief F1 Fan (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Can't believe Hamilton and Wolfe both tried to say that Ferrari might have done that on purpose. Drivers say dumb shit all the time but Wolfe saying it was really terrible press for Mercedes.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 AM
AZ Community Team

^ not to mention, MB Technical Director James Allison who used to work at Ferrari. Foolish on all three to insinuate that, Hamilton yesterday said what he said on Sunday about it was stupid.

The latest F1 news has Ricciardo saying it's more likely he'll stay at RB for 2019, he said MB and Ferrari haven't closed the door yet but they have other options they're strongly pursuing for their drivers.
Would like to see Daniel in MB or Ferrari.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Daniel's too good of a driver to be relegated to #2 driver status which will certainly happen if he joins Ferrari. Let him stay at RBR until the prime seat opens at the Scuderia (or MBZ)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:30 PM
AZ Community Team

The Insane Logistics of Formula 1

Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

that's crazy!! 5 container sets for each team??? Shikeys.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM
AZ Community Team

^ I know I was stunned as well when that came up.
Must have lots of storage space at the team headquarters.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I was thinking of the costs to have 5 extra sets of everything for fly-away races. That has to be astronomical.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Costa and Ellis departures prompt Mercedes reshuffle

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44804343.

Pretty big news at MB with Costa taking a part-time role, he’s designed MB F1 cars since 2011 and formally Ferrari.
Losing Patty Lowe to Williams had no effect, but I suspect they’ll be searching hard to find the best head designer at MB now.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:27 PM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...n-germany.html

He made his Grand Prix debut with Sauber in 2017, and now Antonio Giovinazzi is set to return to the cockpit of one of the Swiss team’s cars at the forthcoming German Grand Prix.
The Italian, 24, will take over Marcus Ericsson’s car for the opening practice session at Hockenheim on Friday, before handing it back to the Swede for Friday afternoon’s FP2.

Giovinazzi, who is Ferrari’s third driver, last drove F1 machinery back in May when he completed two days of testing at Barcelona following the Spanish Grand Prix, the first for Sauber and the second for Ferrari.

His last FP1 appearance, in Abu Dhabi last year, was one of seven practice appearances in 2017 for Haas, who like Sauber are powered by Ferrari.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 AM

Well here comes the crashes. Now you have to watch out for Giovinazzi and Grojean crashing during practice. The G Crash Brothers
Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 AM

Looks like a decision on whether we get a Miami Gran Prix is being delayed. https://www.planetf1.com/news/miami-...19-grand-prix/

I kind of want it to happen since it would be someplace I could drive to in one day to go to the race weekend but on the other hand the proposed track layout looks a bit boring to me.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Just watch the INdycar race there if you want to get a true picture of exactly how lackluster it is for a track.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
AZ Community Team

I can imagine the Miami traffic disruption is the big problem.
The majority of Miami will not see the race but almost all will be affected by it.
Sorta like Baltimore with the IndyCar Grand Prix it hosted back in 2011-2013.
A friend is in senior management at a financial investment house near where the New Jersey GP was suppose to be, and their exec's expressed their displeasure to the local government on the proposed event and it's disruption.
They and other high end investment businesses in the area got their way.