BMW: Motorsports News

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=30461

Bridgestone Motorsport has produced a special Limited Edition F1 Potenza Snow Tyre at the request of the BMW Sauber F1 Team which will be conducting a demonstration run of their F1.06 car this Sunday (4 February) at the prestigious White Turf horse racing event in St.Moritz, Switzerland.

The BMW Sauber F1 Team is running the car at the request of team sponsor Credit Suisse, who are main sponsors and partners of the event which is this year celebrating 100 years of international horse racing in St.Moritz.

Due to the extreme conditions in which the BMW Sauber F1.06 will run, the special F1 snow tyres, produced by Bridgestone Motorsport's Technical Centre in Tokyo, feature 420 studs on each of the front tyres and 588 studs on each of the rear tyres. It took two Bridgestone technicians over 16 hours to manually insert all 2,016 studs into the double layer of tread compound on one set of tyres alone. Similarly, the horses racing on the frozen lake at St. Moritz will also have four studs and a rubber plate attached to each of their front and rear shoes.

Made from tungsten and embedded in aluminium casings, Bridgestone's tyre studs have been designed to specifically provide reliable grip on ice and hard-packed snow, exactly the conditions which can be expected at the event where night time temperatures have recently been dropping to approximately -15°Celsius.

A similar set of tyres was also recently produced for the Scuderia Ferrari F1 team for their pre-season event on the slopes of Madonna di Campiglio in Italy.

By utilising the tread design of Bridgestone's Potenza F1 extreme weather tyres, the irregular placement of the studs in the tyre tread blocks is intended to maximise performance of each stud in the harsh conditions. In reverse to the policy of transferring technology from F1 tyre development to road car tyres, Bridgestone has transferred its knowledge of road car winter tyre tread compounds to the F1 snow tyres, using a soft, high-grip compound which will enable the tyres to work at a much lower working temperature range to that normally experienced by an F1 tyre on a race circuit.

The Bridgestone Corporation manufactures both studded and studless road tyres for use by the general consumer. The Bridgestone Noranza studded tyre provides exceptional grip on the ice, without sacrificing comfort, handling and quietness and with its irregular placed aluminium studs was instrumental in the philosophy behind the Limited Edition Bridgestone Potenza F1 snow tyre.

From Bridgestone's range of studless tyres, and more suited to Continental European winters, is the Blizzak LM20. After comparative tests by a leading European automotive magazine this tyre was "highly recommended" for its outstanding all-round capabilities and described as "a very well-balanced tyre: top- class on dry, very good on wet and ice, with good snow and wear performance". The Blizzak LM20 utilises a compound with high silica content, similar to that used by the Bridgestone Potenza F1 snow tyre.

The BMW Sauber F1 Team demonstration run is scheduled to take place with German F1 star Nick Heidfeld behind the wheel at 14:00hrs on Sunday 4 February.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
http://www.bmwf1talk.com/whiteturfgallery.htm

Old 02-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Back in a TL again.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so sweet ill trade my tl for that...... any takes????
Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW is trying very hard to promote rwd as a viable alternative in markets which get some winter. I think their technology has succeeded; it's too bad some of their salesmen still wear plaid suits.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:09 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
<---wants to see F1 have a winter race.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta be an old car...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
BMW F-1 on Nordschleife

Nick Heidfeld in a 2006 BMW at the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1JUfd3R...lated&search=#

On board
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GVs59ullb...elated&search=

I'd love to see a full lap with the onboard camera. Too bad he wasn't going full speed, and he didn't even go for the lap record.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
NICE!!!!!! I have been anxiously waiting for video of this event.

I wonder how fast a lap would be,...going full speed for the lap record.

We will never see that though.

Anyway, excellent find FC.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:26 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
5:58 says a comment posted on the first vid

Old 05-31-2007, 02:45 PM
fear and Loathing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I would have like to seen MS in a Ferrari.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

BMW quits F1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77400

BMW has announced it is to quit Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season, as AUTOSPORT predicted last night.

The news was confirmed at a press conference in Munich this morning, and comes on the back of a disappointing campaign for the outfit.

Dr. Norbert Reithofer, chairman of the BMW board, said that the decision was made after a refining of the company's future strategy.

"Of course, this was a difficult decision for us. But it's a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realignment," he said.

"Premium will increasingly be defined in terms of sustainability and environmental compatibility. This is an area in which we want to remain in the lead. In line with our Strategy Number ONE, we are continually reviewing all projects and initiatives to check them for future viability and sustainability. Our Formula 1 campaign is thus less a key promoter for us.

"Mario Theissen has been in charge of our motor sports program since 1999. We have scored a large number of successes in this period, including some in Formula 1 racing. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Mario Theissen and his team for this."

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen, who spearheaded the company's efforts as an engine supplier with Williams and then later with BMW Sauber, said he understood the reasons behind the withdrawal.

"Of course, we, the employees in Hinwil and Munich, would all have liked to continue this ambitious campaign and show that this season was just a hiccup following three successful years," he said. "But I can understand why this decision was made from a corporate perspective. We will now focus sharply on the remaining races and demonstrate our fighting spirit and put in a good result as we bid farewell to Formula 1 racing."

Dr. Klaus Draeger, member of the board who is responsible for development, said this season's poor results had played a part in the move to quit F1.

"It only took us three years to establish ourselves as a top team," he said. "Unfortunately, we were unable to meet expectations in the current season.

"Nevertheless, our ten years of Formula 1 experience have had a major impact on our development engineers. We have racing to thank for numerous technological innovations as well as the competitive spirit that drives us to develop mass-produced cars."
Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Not too surprising, hopefully we'll be a shock needed to wake up FIA and company.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I'm pretty surprised, as the rumor was either Toyota or Renault leaving. BMW's explaination for leaving is similar to Honda's - cost and green technology. It remains to be seen what will happen with the team. Will it be sold back to Peter Sauber? Where will Kubica and Heidfeld go?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Another sad day for F1, been a rough week. Could this make way for team america or whatever it was called?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Toyota is probably next. Renault depends on the results they get, Ghosn has stated that many times.

A couple years ago Mario Theissen was chatting with Patrick Head and made some comment about how more difficult it was to be a chassis/drivetrain manufacturer than Mario originally expected. Head had made some comment in late 2005 after BMW left Willams about how difficult BMW would find going it alone after their partnership ended.

Although BMW bought Saber, they revamped the team structure and management to be more BMW-like rather quickly compared to Renault buying Benneton which left in place the senior personnel (ie Patrick Symonds) and let Fabio run the operation.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...e-hinwil-jobs/

Peter Sauber has ruled out returning to F1 as a team owner and boss, but amid BMW's impending withdrawal insists he will try hard to safeguard the Hinwil based outfit he founded in 1993.

The 65-year-old Swiss sold his independent outfit to the Munich manufacturer in late 2005, and admitted last Wednesday that BMW's decision to quit in the middle of its fourth championship campaign was a total surprise.

"One thing is clear: I will do everything possible to save the jobs of my former employees," Sauber is quoted as saying by Germany's Auto Bild.

But despite his ongoing 20 per cent ownership in the team that still bears his name, warned: "I cannot perform a miracle, and
no longer will I be the chief on the pitwall.

"I have told people that I will use all my contacts, but that guarantees nothing," Sauber continued. "I'm just a consultant. Ultimately, only BMW in Munich can decide how to proceed."

He said he does not know what is going to happen next, admitted a Honda/Brawn solution is an option, and insists that "time is short, a solution must be on the table as quickly as possible".
Let's hope the team can be taken over somehow.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,882 Likes on 3,492 Posts
Well, it seems to me the timing of BMW's withdrawal should come as no surprise, particularly in light of having to sign a new Concorde Agreement locking them in till 2012. I am surprised they pulled the plug so quickly though. One bad year and poof, they're gone. Toyota said they are not pulling the plug and signed the new agreement.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...uber-takeover/

Renault driver Nelson Piquet's famous father is a candidate to take over the Hinwil based BMW-Sauber team, according to the Brazilian newspaper O Globo.

It is claimed that 56-year-old Brazilian Piquet, a former triple world champion, may be eyeing Sauber in collaboration with Super Nova GP2 team chief David Sears.

"All I can say is that I like the name 'Piquet F1'. What do you think?" Piquet's son and namesake, who on Monday may be formally stepped down as Fernando Alonso's Renault teammate, is said to have reacted to the report.

Mentioned by the Swiss newspaper Blick as a possible Sauber savior is Fritz Kaiser, who sold his original team share to Red Bull in 1999.

Joan Villadelprat is also a name doing the rounds after his Epsilon Euskadi application to debut in 2010 was turned down by the FIA.

"To take
BMW's place would be difficult, but if a vacancy becomes available we will be there," he told the Spanish sports newspaper AS.

Villadelprat claims his team would be better placed than the new entrants Campos, Manor and USF1. "In the US there are only 15 people working on their project.

"Manor is trying to sell part of the shares and of Adrian (Campos' project) I know nothing, but the rumors are that it is not doing so well," he said.

"I am in permanent contact with the FIA and Ecclestone. I am sure that we will be in F1, I don't know if it's in a week, a month or a year."
Will BMW Sauber become Piquit or Epsilon Euskadi?

Only 15 employees at USGPE? I know they are outsourcing the work, but still...
Old 08-06-2009, 07:30 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...er-talks-fail/

Initial attempts to rescue the Sauber team in the wake of BMW's impending withdrawal have failed, according to reports in the German language press.

The reports say team founder and 20 per cent shareholder Peter Sauber, and team boss Mario Theissen, held talks with BMW executives about performing a Brawn/Honda-style management takeover.

However, August 5 was set as the deadline to complete the deal and still have the Hinwil based team included in the current form of the new Concorde Agreement which the FOTA confirmed Wednesday has been signed.

"Despite all efforts the timeframe was not sufficient to find a solution to such a complex transaction," Theissen is quoted as saying by Spiegel Online.

The team is therefore not included in the 2009-2012 Concorde, but FOTA said on Wednesday that it will "support any initiative whichwould allow BMW-Sauber AG to reapply for full participation".

Sauber, 65, did say that potential investors have nonetheless been identified and efforts will continue to save the Swiss based outfit he founded in 1993.

Ousted Renault driver Nelson Piquet's famous father was linked with the team, but the Brazilian is said to have now played down those reports in the Swiss media.

In the Austrian newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten, meanwhile, Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz said rumors he was interested in linking up with BMW-Sauber for the benefit of his Toro Rosso team are not true.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

"Team Piquet" would be one team that I would never, ever root for. I hated Nelson Sr. when he drove, especially when he was at Williams with Mansell. Many years later I met him in Long Beach at the Grand Prix and he confirmed by his arrogance to all in his presence, those feelings I had for him as an F1 driver.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Let's hope the team can be taken over somehow.
Yeah 4 sure.

They just lodged an entry 4 '10 making it an easier transition 4 another team....
Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Senior Moderator

BMW finds buyer

BMW finds buyer for Formula 1 team

By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, September 15th 2009, 11:08 GMT

BMW has announced that the Qadbak Investments company has agreed to purchase the Formula 1 team based in Hinwil.

The German company had revealed earlier this year that it will quit Formula 1 at the end of the season, and had been in talks with interested parties since then.

On Tuesday, BMW said it had signed the contract to sell the team to Qadbak, a Swiss-based foundation which represents the interests of certain Middle East and European-based families.

"A strong investor has therefore been found for the Hinwil-based team," BMW said in a statement.

"Qadbak's interest in the team will be represented by Lionel Fischer, a Swiss national. BMW wishes Qadbak and the Sauber Team every success for the 2010 season and beyond."

The sale of the team coincides with the FIA having announced the 13th entry for the 2010 championship went to the Lotus outfit, with BMW as a possible 14th entry in case a current team fails to race next year.

The FIA also said it would talk to the teams about the possibility of increasing the grid size to 28 cars to allow the Hinwil squad to race next year.

28 cars on the grid next year???? Holy shit
Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

28 cars? I wonder if the 26 limit rule still applies and we are going to see the 27th and 28th qualifying cars given DNQs.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Damn that is a lot of cars on the grid
Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79636

Williams CEO Adam Parr says the Grove team is not the only Formula 1 outfit opposing expanding the grid to 14 cars for next year, and he insists logistically and financially it would be unsustainable.

Team boss Frank Williams has made it clear that he will not vote in favour of allowing an extra team in order to make room for BMW Sauber, who has no spot on the grid for next season.
Bye bye Sauber.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

go back to the old days of 8 a.m. Sat. pre-quali. Makes for some long ass days at the track. Used to watch it in Montreal.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
go back to the old days of 8 a.m. Sat. pre-quali. Makes for some long ass days at the track. Used to watch it in Montreal.
The teams might hate it, but it's great for the fans.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
What's happening with Nick Heidfeld next year?
Old 03-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Cool BMW celebrates 40 years at Sebring

The following users liked this post:
ttribe (03-15-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 06:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I love BMW's