Anyone been to Monza?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,072 Likes on 770 Posts
Anyone been to Monza?

I'm trying to make the GP of Italy this September. I've been to a dozen CART races, but never an F-1 race, so I'm pretty excited if I can make it.

Anyone been to a race in Monza? Recommendations on tickets, seats, hotels, etc.?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Never been, sorry.

Come to the Canadian GP,......might be a few of us going.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure they're probably booked, but the Grand Prix Tours page has the names of three hotels.

http://www.gptours.com/new/race.php/...ian-Grand-Prix
Old 06-05-2006, 04:19 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by West6MT
Never been, sorry.

Come to the Canadian GP,......might be a few of us going.

I've been to Montreal for the CART race back in 2001. I was also up in Montreal last month. The place just isn't that exotic anymore. I want to go to Monza this year, maybe Montreal next year.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would check with GP Tours. It would be a great trip/race to attend.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,896 Likes on 3,502 Posts
F-C, we went to Monza in 98 (Schu/Irvine 1-2). It was beyond belief. Fly into Milano, spend a couple days there and take a train up to Como (<1 hr). We stayed in a hotel w/ a balcony overlooking the piazza in town whose name escapes me. It was a small room but clean and who cared w/ the view of the lake! Went w/ GP tours and booked it in July for a Sept. race, no problems. We sat in the chicane at the end of the front straight and it was OK but I suspect there were better vantage points, like the chicane coming onto the back straight perhaps. There's zippo for souvenirs except for one small shop w/ a really cheesy looking rack of hats so I didn't get one. If you can swing it, stay in Villa d'Este at least one night, it is phenomenal. Even if you get a chance to just have dinner and walk the grounds, you will not be disappointed. That's where McLaren stays. People are friendly, food and wine was great! For another knock-out dinner, try Savini's in Milano The driver's chat w/ Phil Hill was kinda lame but it was included. Transportation back and forth to the track was on a coach and took about 45 mins. if memory serves. Food at the track is near non-existent so chow down before you go. Also, Monza's set in a park w/ no paved trails to get to the seats we were in so wear something you don't mind muddying up. Have a blast!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
F-C, we went to Monza in 98 (Schu/Irvine 1-2). It was beyond belief. Fly into Milano, spend a couple days there and take a train up to Como (<1 hr). We stayed in a hotel w/ a balcony overlooking the piazza in town whose name escapes me. It was a small room but clean and who cared w/ the view of the lake! Went w/ GP tours and booked it in July for a Sept. race, no problems. We sat in the chicane at the end of the front straight and it was OK but I suspect there were better vantage points, like the chicane coming onto the back straight perhaps. There's zippo for souvenirs except for one small shop w/ a really cheesy looking rack of hats so I didn't get one. If you can swing it, stay in Villa d'Este at least one night, it is phenomenal. Even if you get a chance to just have dinner and walk the grounds, you will not be disappointed. That's where McLaren stays. People are friendly, food and wine was great! For another knock-out dinner, try Savini's in Milano The driver's chat w/ Phil Hill was kinda lame but it was included. Transportation back and forth to the track was on a coach and took about 45 mins. if memory serves. Food at the track is near non-existent so chow down before you go. Also, Monza's set in a park w/ no paved trails to get to the seats we were in so wear something you don't mind muddying up. Have a blast!
Woohoo, somebody's actually been to Monza!

Well, I'm trying to package Monza as a sidetrip for my two week vacation in Europe with my wife. She wants to go to Paris, so I'm doing my best to lobby for this side trip to Italy. Lake Como sounds good.

Since you went with GP tours, I don't know how much you know about transportation to the track. About what time of the day did you leave Milan to get to Monza. I'm afraid of traffic, even with buses.

Can you bring food to the track? Backpack?

Surprised there aren't paved walkways in Monza. I remember going to several rained out Detroit GP's on Belle Isle. Quite a few people lost their shoes in the mud pits during rainy days.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,896 Likes on 3,502 Posts
We were staying in Como during the race, stayed in Milano before moving up to Como. There's a hotel in Milano right next to the train station where you can grab a train that takes you straight to Monza in less than an hour. I'll try and find the name and let you know the name of that hotel ($$$$$$$$). It seems like we were leaving the hotel at about 7 for practice then but I could be wrong (Como). Como's friggin' gorgeous as are all the little towns around the lake (Cernobbio for one). There are hotels all over the place but Como is closer to Monza than most Lake Como towns. There are some paved walkways, but not if you aren't going to the main grandstand apparently. After having visited this portion of the world, there is no place I'd rather spend the rest of my life--it is breathtakingly beautiful, comfortable and accomodating.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Booked the plane tickets and got a hotel room. Hotels in Milan are $$$$, even more $$$$$ during the GP weekend.

I can't wait! Actually, I haven't bought the race tickets yet. Still deciding where to sit.